Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to obtain recognition for a possible new variety found?

Hi,
I think I have found a new attribution on a certain Indian head cent. Is there a method or process to have this finding reviewed validated/invalidated? Is CONECA a good option? Will PCGS do this sort of thing? If it is legitimate, I believe it's only minor.

Answers

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures would be helpful. There is a very slim chance that you have found something new on a highly collected series of coins like Indian head cents.

Always a chance thou.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Pictures might give it away, and I want to take credit. I'll send one though

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

What am I supposed to be looking at? What is the variety? Don't play games.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I'm not. There's a shadow of Liberty to the north or slightly rotated clockwise. You can see her nose, and thr last bit of the Liberty band is doubled at an angle.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've got quite a bit of random damage here, such as on the top of the E of LIBERTY. I don't see any die doubling on the LIB or the nose.
    Sorry.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing but damage.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

your coin is Post mint damage nothing special or uncommon

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what I believe you're pointing out - a second ghost 'nose'
    between the normal eye and nose in the field to the left.
    - but imo, it's simply part of the scratches on the coin - not a new variety.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is some die faint die clash going on there, a photo of the entire obverse may help

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 2:25PM

@2windy2fish said:
    I think there is some die faint die clash going on there, a photo of the entire obverse may help

I agree.
    The outline in the field left of the face could be a clash from the wreath on the reverse.
    Could be the C from CENT just left of the nose and eyebrow, too.

from
    http://www.maddieclashes.com/tdc-1c-1901-01/

If so, this is considered a die state.
    Value would depend on demand, and on how frequently this occurs in the series.
    For example, in seated half dimes and three cent nickels, die clashes are very frequent.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clash?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 3:30PM

I am thinking die clash.

If you wanted to get another opinion, from an Indian Cent SME, Rick Snow would be my recommendation. He literally wrote the books on Indian Cent Varieties 📚.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 8:08PM

Does look like a die clash to me in the new photos below, @Drew23, my suggestion is that you post this coin on the CONECA forum for review. If they think it is worth an in hand review they can direct you where to send the coin. Please note that if you want to be taken seriously you need to post the full obv and rev photos. If it does turn out to be a new variety you will be provided documentation that you can send with the coin to ANACS and the coin will be graded/slabbed as the discovery coin.

Trying to hide the coin will not help you to achieve your goal.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

• Options

These are the same year, variation that I see these characteristics

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 7:20PM

This one looks like the C clash, left of the eye and eyebrow.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

If those were what you think they were, the offset would be consistent. Why is the "nose" offset be so much more than the headband?

I think what you have is a die clash, some damage, and resulting pareidolia.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Drew23... Welcome aboard. It appears to me, that is PMD (Post Mint Damage). I did consider a die clash, and perhaps there is one, though I cannot relate it to the reverse image.. so I doubt it. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file