Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I cleaned it all out for my dream coin. GTG Grade now Posted with Pics

JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2023 3:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Recently sold my collection for a coin I have lusted for years. This now comprises my entire collection. Test your grading skills.

Range of guesses were from 63 to 65, with most members responding at MS64. For some reason I decided to cover the serial number, although I never did that before when sharing pics of coins. Not sure why I did it now. ;) Thanks for all the cool comments and your educated guesses.

Comments

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap, man! I can understand why you had to sell everything to obtain this coin. THAT is a real rarity! I don't grade gold very well but it's so clean my initial thought is MS65. It has one little spot on it by the S in SAN FRANCISCO, so I am going to guess MS64+ since it's such a rarity. Congratulations on obtaining your bucket list coin!

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

MS64

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I don’t know what you had before, but good trade!
    Never tried to grade one of these before, so I’m hoping to get within 20pts. MS64?

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how these are graded but I don't see wear and I don't see many marks so I'll go MS65.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 ... WOW!!! My dream coin for sure. What a beauty... Looks like a 65 to me.... Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what a coin. Congrats! I like it as a 64, maybe a +

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats ! 63

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

63, and if you conserve it to get the spots off the reverse I think it will bump up to 64

• Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

I guess 65 and give it a personal grade of: Wow, Wow, Wow! I have already pared down to a box of 20 but for THAT coin I could see box of 1.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great for you! I've been pondering doing the same thing for the same coin!!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

That's a goal I am always considering. The big question I keep asking myself is whether I would be satisfied and calling it quits after that.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

So cool. Bravo on your decision. Trading more common coins for a great specimen like this is a good move IMO. Of course now you'll have to save up to begin anew to add coins after this one. ;)

No idea how to grade these so I won't even try.

Again, congratulations!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64 for me! Absolutely fantastic coin!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only one coin in your collection, but what a super coin!

• Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous! Congrats

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

im in for a 64/65ish

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a beauty. Tough coin to grade! I'd go 64, but whatever....It's a great coin regardless of whatever number the holder has.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

With such a stunningly gorgeous coin, my first thought on opening this GTG thread and seeing the photo was:

"the grade simply does not matter".

Glad you obtained your dream coin.

So besides owning this coin into the future, what is next up with your hobby endeavors?

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I have always liked this claim, together with the other Pan Pacific commemorative issues.

Sure makes it easy to store your collection, doesn't it?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you didn't have to give up the GTO too. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@SanctionII said:
    With such a stunningly gorgeous coin, my first thought on opening this GTG thread and seeing the photo was:

"the grade simply does not matter".

Glad you obtained your dream coin.

So besides owning this coin into the future, what is next up with your hobby endeavors?

That is a good question. As DisneyFan mentioned, it's hard to stop and I have already demonstrated a lack of self control scouring auctions; fortunately have not pulled the trigger. What I would like to do is collect a few nice gold coins of different series, maybe even work on the 8 or 12 piece circulated gold registry set. However, my regulator (i.e., my lovely wife might take issue with this as I promised her I was done for a while). After all, she was the one who pinted out that i need to add my loss on the trades to the purchase price to understand the real cost of my dream coin. As correct as she may be, the itch is still there! :)

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:
    Recently sold my collection for a coin I have lusted for years. This now comprises my entire collection. Test your grading skills.

Cool. Understand the sentiment. Getting one of those myself included trading in one of my High Relief Saints (along with some added cash.). I think that is the only coin I ever acquired using another coin for trade.

• Options

@coinbuf said:

Unfortunately it is gone, sold it 3 years ago when we moved from Texas to Oregon. We transitioned from the suburbs to a more rural setting with gravel driveways and a wetter environment. She was too pretty to subject her to those conditions. My wife named her Lola(pretty like a woman, but definitely tough like a man under the hood). One of my favorite tunes form the 70s!

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! One of my top 3 designs for sure. I would go 64 on this based on the photos...little bit of rub or strike weakness on the helmet, some minor bumps along the rim and the spot on the reverse. A beauty and congrats on ownership!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

64 ? But regardless, you get the 21st Century’s award for getting rid of duplicates!

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations. beautiful example

64+CAC

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this coin. I have no idea how to grade it, but it is so rare and beautiful. Congratulations!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Wow. I don’t know what you had before, but good trade!
    Never tried to grade one of these before, so I’m hoping to get within 20pts. MS64?

Traded A few barber proofs, silver commemoratives plus cash. its the third time in the last 20 years I rotated my collection, not the wisest financial move I might add, but definitely a treasure I will enjoy and hope to pass down to my kids. I'll post the coin in holder tonight.

Sometimes it's not always going to be about financial moves, or being wise.

It's about doing what your heart says.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@coinbuf said:

Unfortunately it is gone, sold it 3 years ago when we moved from Texas to Oregon. We transitioned from the suburbs to a more rural setting with gravel driveways and a wetter environment. She was too pretty to subject her to those conditions. My wife named her Lola(pretty like a woman, but definitely tough like a man under the hood). One of my favorite tunes form the 70s!

:'( Now that is a real tragedy.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Great coin in about any grade.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll give it a shot at MS 65. Very nice coin.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

However, my regulator (i.e., my lovely wife might take issue with this as I promised her I was done for a while). After all, she was the one who pointed out that i need to add my loss on the trades to the purchase price to understand the real cost of my dream coin. As correct as she may be, the itch is still there! :)

Make sure she gives you credit for the tax deduction your loss created.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 2:30PM

My guess would be MS-64.

The concept of selling my entire collection for one coin only occurred to me once. It was in the early 1980s. There was a Gem Uncirculated 1792 half disme. I looked at the photo and thought, “If I sold my whole collection, I could raise enough to buy that.”

It was a good thing I never tried it. The published auction price was about what I thought it would bring. The trouble was I later read that it had been bought by the consigner. So, if my day dream had become a reality, I would have been left with a pile of cash. What fun is that? LOL

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! ...and then some... you must have put together a pretty nice collection.

As for grade, I couldn't begin to venture a guess. I've only seen pictures and have never actually held one in hand!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it wicked awesome!

These are so incredibly cool. As for grade, I dunno. Looks pretty gemmy to me, especially for a gold coin. There's a little spot by "SAN", but I doubt that hurts it all that much. Maybe MS65 or MS66. Somewhere in there, depending on luster which is hard to see in a single photo.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

MS 63. Cool coin.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 4:18PM

Late to the party... :'(

I'll just say CONGRATULATIONS and doing what you did take a lot of guts!! ;)

A VERY NICE near gem that you should be very proud of!!! B)

I think it will be good to you as time marches on. :)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wowsers. Late to the party, but when I looked earlier before you posted I was thinking 64.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@DennisH said:
    I have been seriously flirting (well it's maybe more like light foreplay) with doing the same thing for several years, except in a slightly lower grade. My wife has even given me her blessing, and I have bid on several coins at both Heritage and Great Collections. I had actually decided to do it two years ago, but the sale of coins and Pokemon cards resulted in so much $$$ that I paid off the house instead. The monthly satisfaction of not paying a mortgage makes me feel so good that I don't miss the Octagonal. For now.

Great story and congrats for paying off the mortage, but i feel that you will see the Pan Pac or some other dream coin in your future at some point!

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb coin . . . . a dream and certainly worth the sacrifices.

A local here did roughly the same thing about a decade ago . . . for a problem free 1794 Dollar in VF20.

Drunner

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really fantastic. Congratulations, it's a stunning example.

mirabela
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

I'd have to sell all my coins, guns and ammo to get one...lol.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file