Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I cleaned it all out for my dream coin. GTG Grade now Posted with Pics

2»

Comments

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome!!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's my favorite U.S. coin ever! I will content myself looking at the photos of your new acquisition, in lieu of ownership. Congratulations on a stunning numismatic achievement...

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not being familiar with the market for these and to learn more about the type, I looked at January 2022 Heritage archives for this spectacular coin.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/commemorative-gold/classic-commemoratives/1915-s-50-panama-pacific-50-dollar-octagonal-ms64-ngc-pcgs-7452-/a/1341-4779.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Bigtime congratulations!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

@toyz4geo said:
    Congrats. Who needs a box of 20 when your box of 1 is amazing. Well done.

Exactly what I came to say. A dream coin for sure. Hope you enjoy it for a long time, OP.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! It's a good start for your "Box of 20" because there is no way you will stop there!

Tom

• Options

Beautiful coin. Congratulations

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin to have if you only wanted one in your collection!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭

Have you thought about CAC or CACG for its future?

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a dream coin!

This is the ONE coin I'd think about selling everything for as well. Such an iconic piece, and a big gold octagonal. I definitely think you made the right move.

Congratulations, and may you take it out and enjoy its splendor every morning before you start your day.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2023 7:41AM

@JW77 .The fact that the coin doesn’t have a bean doesn’t make it any less desirable, to me, at least. Some of my favorite pieces, in my collection, don’t have beans, either. It is a strong, beautiful example of a fantastic numismatic rarity!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful box of one.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Wow, just wow!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a piece that everyone on this forum would love to own including myself. All I can say is WOW, what a gorgeous piece👍👍👍👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 Is that holder oversized? It looks like a larger coin than say, a Morgan dollar. I have never seen one in person, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    @JW77 Is that holder oversized? It looks like a larger coin than say, a Morgan dollar. I have never seen one in person, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

It's the only NGC holder I have, so I don't know if the exterior dimensions are any different than a normal holder: however, the coin weighs 83 grams and gold content is 2.4 troy Ounces whereas a Morgan dollar is .85 troy Ounces, so it's almost 3 times the size. It's a big coin!

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@dsessom said:

It's the only NGC holder I have, so I don't know if the exterior dimensions are any different than a normal holder: however, the coin weighs 83 grams and gold content is 2.4 troy Ounces whereas a Morgan dollar is .85 troy Ounces, so it's almost 3 times the size. It's a big coin!

Will the holder fit into a regular "box of 20" PCGS/NGC coin storage box? I guess that would be an indicator?

• Options

@dsessom said:
    Will the holder fit into a regular "box of 20" PCGS/NGC coin storage box? I guess that would be an indicator?

It will fit in my PCGS box, but the top will not close as it is slightly taller than a PCGS slab, but isn't that true of all NGC slabs? Most of the weight is its girth. It's a thick coin filling the slab from front to back. The Morgan diameter is 38.1mm and the Pan Pac is 43.2., so the thickness of the coin is where most of the difference is.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@Walkerlover said:

since you asked :D I'm a big fan of CAC. 80% of the coins I have bought over the last 20 years have been PCGS CAC. About 20 years ago when I was a new collector buying Saints from Heritage, as a courtesy they would send slabs over to CAC for my benefit to see if they would bean. I have no idea if they still do that service since I no longer have a relationship with the good folks over there. After coin after coin failed I had an epiphany 1) I was a lousy a grader 2) most more expensive gold coins already made the trip and failed and 3) just buy PCGS CAC gold going forward. Back to today. I believe if the $50 Pan Pac could bean, it already would have one. There is just too much financial upside not to have a dealer already tried. Secondly, given that this was the most expensive coin I ever bought I examined it very carefully, compared it to at least a dozen other 64s, and my honest opinion is that it would not make the cut. But that's ok, I bought the coin because I love it, I didn't spend PCGS or PCGS CAC money, I paid a fair price for a NGC MS64 coin that was appealing to me. Bet you didn.t expect that answer.

>

No, didn't expect that as I was reading ... but I wholeheartedly loved it! There some really good coins without beans, and some not so great ones with them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

FWIW, I had it as a 63 shot 4 from my initial impression of the images but then I saw the grade on the next image.

Very attractive, and of course, a real and desirable rarity. What a wonderful example.

Congratulations!! <3

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

So awesome! One of my favorites! Congrats!!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin dealer Zieman had a video on the raw octagonal Pan Pac they bought at the Fun show:

https://youtu.be/NRMThJ-efBg

• Options
    edited February 16, 2023 7:38PM

Just for the record, not mine (newer generation holder), but she looks like a beauty. I love the history and all the original paperwork that came with the coin.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's beautiful !
    Congratulations.......

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@Walkerlover said:

since you asked :D I'm a big fan of CAC. 80% of the coins I have bought over the last 20 years have been PCGS CAC. About 20 years ago when I was a new collector buying Saints from Heritage, as a courtesy they would send slabs over to CAC for my benefit to see if they would bean. I have no idea if they still do that service since I no longer have a relationship with the good folks over there. After coin after coin failed I had an epiphany 1) I was a lousy a grader 2) most more expensive gold coins already made the trip and failed and 3) just buy PCGS CAC gold going forward. Back to today. I believe if the $50 Pan Pac could bean, it already would have one. There is just too much financial upside not to have a dealer already tried. Secondly, given that this was the most expensive coin I ever bought I examined it very carefully, compared it to at least a dozen other 64s, and my honest opinion is that it would not make the cut. But that's ok, I bought the coin because I love it, I didn't spend PCGS or PCGS CAC money, I paid a fair price for a NGC MS64 coin that was appealing to me. Bet you didn.t expect that answer.

No I didn’t quite expect that response. But well thought out and well explained.

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Congrats! Great coin!

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DennisH said:

The monthly satisfaction of not paying a mortgage makes me feel so good that I don't miss the Octagonal. For now.

Now that you have all that free cash flow, are you getting a ton of cold calls from coin dealers?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file