Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If people were assigned grades like coins, what grade would you be?

MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

I like to think that I'd come in around MS63/64. I know a couple of people that would be labeled "Tooled"

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

Comments

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    I think I would be Tooled, graffiti, damaged. Do not holder. I say this because I have literally 8 to 9 feet of scars and the doctor didn't exactly put me back together correctly.

Maybe the "Humpty Dumpty" Error?

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Fine, but not quite Extremely Fine…..

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

The idea of grading people makes me uncomfortable. As far as myself, I'll leave it up to others to grade me. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

details

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

A slightly Impaired Proof, probably PR55 B)

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 6:30AM

I'd be in 3rd grade. The hardest four years of my life.

Ooops. Wrong grade.
    Extra fine, my man.
    Honestly poor.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that answer! @ricko

Self assessment is so funny sometimes ...

I'd call myself an AU, and I think I would straight grade. This is a grade that says nothing about my appearance ... some collectors might like my appearance, and some may pass ... but one that assures the viewer I have some wear from circulation, yet after closer inspection, not too much wear ... and that overall, I have been fairly well taken care of. Since the bean is for originality, I would definitely get that. :D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started out well struck, I’m pretty worn. Submit me as a lowball.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Details, bent

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 6:51AM

VG details. Graffiti
    Too much missing on top of crown for fine. Tattoos in main focal areas.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental Damage, Grafitti - too much sun in the early years, plus a couple of tats... ;)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 7:56AM

I don’t look at it that way. It’s sorta like what are my teams stats (my college football coach app) vs other teams. Did the team make the season objectives?

I think a man would look at what percentile (what pct he is higher than so if above avg it’s a win). Where he is in education degree, income, children fathered, grandchildren, number of women he has had vs the average guy, other trophy parameters. So If he is above average in those not too bad a lifetime. Example - Jim is an MBA (beats 87 pct of pop so a win), had 52 women (beats the US avg of 6) a win he routed them there, fathered 3 children (higher than avg, a win), married a pretty blonde trophy wife, a huge win), not rich but above average in income (win). Get the picture. In terms of survival on planet Earth a win. One can add other parameters, etc or just narrow it down to what selected as the top 4.

From the time we are born we are under attack in terms of survival. It can be factors like war, bad luck, enemies, a toxic relationship, disease, etc. From evolution and survival on planet earth view the only parameter did the animal (human or otherwise) survive long enough to produce progeny. My take is that intelligent life is very rare in the galaxy if even exists at all. We need to be careful. I believe life is out there but what type unknown at this time.

Whatever it is take your turn at bat, ignore the detractors (and their propaganda), develop strategy overcome any problems, and don’t be too harsh on yourself. Develop success parameters important to you and a doable deal.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF Details, questionable color, damaged

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF-40. I'm getting old, but my brain still works most of the time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 1:34PM

Details-damaged 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I don’t look at it that way. It’s sorta like what are my teams stats (my college football coach app) vs other teams. Did the team make the season objectives?

I think a man would look at what percentile (what pct he is higher than so if above avg it’s a win). Where he is in education degree, income, children fathered, grandchildren, number of women he has had vs the average guy, other trophy parameters. So If he is above average in those not too bad a lifetime. Example - Jim is an MBA (beats 87 pct of pop so a win), had 52 women (beats the US avg of 6) a win he routed them there, fathered 3 children (higher than avg, a win), married a pretty blonde trophy wife, a huge win), not rich but above average in income (win). Get the picture. In terms of survival on planet Earth a win. One can add other parameters, etc or just narrow it down to what selected as the top 4.

From the time we are born we are under attack in terms of survival. It can be factors like war, bad luck, a toxic relationship, disease, etc. From evolution and survival on planet earth view the only parameter did the animal (human or otherwise) survive long enough to produce progeny. My take is that intelligent life is very rare in the galaxy. We need to be careful. I believe life is out there but what type unknown at this time.

This is how I see it also, you guys aren't giving yourselves enough credit.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cull or 98 damaged

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the vast of majority of people here deserve a straight grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I like that answer! @ricko

Self assessment is so funny sometimes ...

I'd call myself an AU, and I think I would straight grade. This is a grade that says nothing about my appearance ... some collectors might like my appearance, and some may pass ... but one that assures the viewer I have some wear from circulation, yet after closer inspection, not too much wear ... and that overall, I have been fairly well taken care of. Since the bean is for originality, I would definitely get that. :D

In this case ownership seems to have been worth at least 45 points. 🤔

Personally I’m a PO-1.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clipped - like the coins I collect, I am not all there.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

We could also apply the EAC/CQR large cent descriptors:
    Scudzy, Average, and Choice.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely Fine, Details, Scratched, Kitten Damage.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS70 of course… :D;)

More like fair 2.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF details, Scratched, Environmental Damage

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Streak removed. VG details.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, not gradable

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely not MS anymore.. maybe AU details damaged/cleaned. Though if this year keeps going the way its been so far I might be XF by 2024.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be one of those PF-68 blast white Silver Eagles.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

People, as is commonly known, are graded on a scale from zero to perfect 10.

I'm still getting used to the 10 point scale, so I'll refrain from answering.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details - Wheel marks, from when the truck hit me while cycling :wink:

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭

Extremely poor (EP - new grade) due to the amount of money spent on coins.

• Options
    Nathan401Nathan401 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

To conservation for repairs. Holed/repaired.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mind thinks of me as being able to do any damn thing I want, and sees me as flawless, MS70.
    My body thinks my mind if off it's rocker as understands that reality says I'm an Fair2

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Ha. Depends on who you ask. I might grade at a "about good", or perhaps "very fine". Depends if they want something from me!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2, 2023 1:13AM

If anyone hasn't said I will say Almost Good!
    On a serious note I think it would be pretty egotistical to grade oneself. Nothing wrong with taking ones self inventory. The rest is basically left to our own behavior. Human behavior. It changes as situations evolve. A coin is in a constant state of preservation-less coin doctors. We are not. We physically degrade and mentally similar. Although wisdom comes with age. We will always be human.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭

I'll say an 8. Whether that's on a 10-point scale or a 70-point scale probably depends on who you ask.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

G4 on a good day!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

A waffle coin or a coin for the smelter

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

I been told that coin collectors look like their coins.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned, graffiti, AG details..................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    My parents said I was found in the parking lot.

That means you are a rare error, i.e. a mistake. :D

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started out as Poor, teen/mid-20s was in an altered state, but settled down, circulated well and developed a nice patina and think I would be a market accepted VF.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife of many decades sometimes calls me "Mary," with a wink. It's short for "Mary Poppins," because, as a husband, I'm practically perfect in every way. Or so I say, from time to time, and she snickers at the joke. So my wife would give me a grade of somewhere in the high 60s (yeah, about the same as my age). Others might disagree, but they don't get a vote.

:)

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as my wife goes she would grade me JB. She says I am not fat I just have a belly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file