Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What did you do with coins today?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today, I’m going through all of my 2x2 Franklins and Walkers and see what is the best set I can put together in some old Dansco and Whitman albums.
What did you do today?

Comments

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that looks like a fun project for a Sunday!
    Personally, I don’t have any coin plans today, though I do need to get my coin photography set up assembled again. It’s a bit of a mess!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working on notations in my Excel inventory. For the kids or grandkids, but more likely I'm Father McKenzie.

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

Spent the morning researching pre-1900 numismatics and proof coins in particular-- there is always something new to discover!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked on upgrading both my Large and Half Cent collection and enjoying perusing my 1780 Maria Theresa Silver Thaler Restrike.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just now pulled not 1 but 2 Wheat Cents out of my change returning home from running errands.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I am working on my Summer FUN exhibit. It's going to be about the 1936 Proof set.

That sounds right up my alley :smile:. Good luck!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@BillJones said:
    I am working on my Summer FUN exhibit. It's going to be about the 1936 Proof set.

That sounds right up my alley :smile:. Good luck!

There is no competition in the summer. It's just for show.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 30 new coins on my desk that need to be photographed, processed, and listed.

So many distraction right now it is hard to get the work done.

Hopefully today l will get started on it.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went thru a little pocket that wife puts in a little bowl when she gets some. Nothing good. In to the change jugs they went. Lol

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted a pic of my 1875-CC $5 gold on a CC thread.

• Options

I am going through 4000 or so wheaties. Then I will decide what to collect next for my US type Set I am starting.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did my daily search for stuff in the numismatic desert.
    Still slim pickins.'

Been that way a while. :/

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just visiting you guys on here today. :p

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2023 8:16AM

Contemplating a search to fill holes.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went through a roll of "junk" Mercs that I received on Friday.

Picked this Walker up at the antique mall today.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching football and reading on here.

Ken
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does U.S. Coin Forum count?

Vplite99
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    What did you do with coins today?

Watched what you did with coins today.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    AdamLAdamL Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

Bought 2 Walkers in VF. 1919 and 1920-D

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rolled up $36 in change to take to the bank. One of the nickel rolls is almost solid 1940's that I decided I had no reason to keep, now someone else can find them.
    Yesterday I unloaded 9 generic BU Peace Dollars at my LCS. I also bought a 1943-D Merc in an old 65FB rattler.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice sets @DNADave! I love circulated sets! I did the same thing with Walker's and Franklin's. Except, they're both in Whitman albums. The Walker's look great in that Dansco! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭

I made a couple of bids on GC that I know are way too low to win.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dumped some New Hampshire AI Dollars into the self-checkout at Target, because half the time I hand them to a cashier they (understandably) refuse them as “arcade tokens”. Stock photo below, if you aren’t familiar with these. Yes, that is the correct orientation of the obverse.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Intercept boxes were full. Ordered another last week. Delivered Friday. Started with box # 1 pulling 5 slabs, moved to box # 2 where I pulled 10 slabs moving to box # 3 where I pulled 15. etc., etc. I have 10 proof set boxes on the way. Eagle albums take up to much room in the safe. Anyone interested in 7 or 8 Eagle Proof set albums ? Available soon. CHEAP.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second day of the BECC show today….made a respectable amount of sales then drove home…

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a type 1 double eagle (57-S) in 58CAC for my all CAC double eagle type set.

Also planned/budgeted/researched for the remaining two (type 2 lib and HR Saint).

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

today was a welcome day off from coins (aside from forums). having done some inventory, painfully and after spilling a big double row box (ugh) after JUST getting it organized, all i did today was just move some boxes around until the next level of organization. i did package up one small sale for shipping tomorrow. some of the coins are above/below/beside a freshly organized box of fossils. nothing big but quite diverse. (for me)

fun seeing some of the other projects in this thread.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 10:06PM

I spend extra time on weekends just jabbering about coins here and on Facebook. I find myself looking at PCGS coin facts 10 or more times a day, focusing on Seated and Liberty gold coins to learn about other people's purchases. I have OCD with ranking the rarity of coins. I've had a lot of time this weekend, because I have Covid.

• Options

Looked inside my wheat Cent cabinet and thought"back away" You're not ready

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far today (and all of yesterday - since I worked all day), just visited this forum. Probably will not do much coin stuff today. House chores beckon... well, kind of screaming.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today could be interesting. I’m meeting a man today to discuss his mothers coins. She recently passed. Could be anything, but from a brief description I received but I think it will be medals. We’ll see. He was referred to me by a local antique mall, which I appreciate. Hopefully will have a good report later.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far all I've done is check out what's going on here. I'm feeling hungry for some toast with apple butter for some reason. Later I'll make change to customers at my retail store and be checking anything that I'm given. Have a great day everyone!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Created a search on Collector's Corner and was glad there wasn't anything of interest. Need to save money!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am logging a purchase that I received on Wednesday. A BST purchase. :)

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post processing some images I took this last week for the CBH's, making sure all the mage parts match up and that I have have a text file with a decent description for each coin (also part of a DB).

It's a little tedious, but I feel good to get a few done at a time. I figure a little progress every week and eventually ot'll all get done.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file