Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about 1995 American Eagle 10th Anniversary Proof set - 5 coins Gold/Silver

I have 2 of these sets. One is traditional in the nice rectangular 5 coin holder with COA etc. The other is less fancy, in a square box, still 5 coins, but no COA...more of a bare bones presentation. Its my understanding that there was a shortage of the nice presentation and set and they instead shipped out the bare bones sets. All well in good HOWEVER, the bare bones set I have has 2 unusualities......or at least things that seem unusual to me, first the silver round is dated 1994 not 1995 as one would expect in a silver set. Second, the $20 Gold coin has roman numeral date on the obverse while all the other coins have a 1995 date. I found a few of these sets pictured online and all have the 1995 date not a roman numeral date. Just looking for any info as whats the deal with the wrong date silver and the roman numeral date vs 1995 date. I was bequeathed this and am seeing them for the first time ......

Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Answers

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like one of the sets is not a 1995W Proof Set. I've not ever heard of any 1995 American Gold Eagles with a Roman Numeral date, nor have I heard of any 1995 10th Anniversary Sets that didn't include a 1995W Proof Silver Eagle. Also, the American Gold Eagles have a $50 denomination, not a $20 denomination (which would be a classic gold double eagle) so it sounds like one of the sets is a made-up hodge-podge of gold & silver coins.

The most valuable coin in either set would be the 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle, if you can verify it. The gold coins are of course worth at least the gold content.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2022 5:55AM

(Edited after OP clarified on the coin forum that the the AGE proof in question is actually a 1990 and likely an authentic coin.)

The American gold and silver eagle bullion coin programs began in 1986.

ASE proofs haves been issued since 1986:

• 1986-1992 have an S mint mark.
    • 1993-1995 have a P mint mark.
    • A special 1995 W was issued in the five coin gold and silver set with a mintage of 30,125. The set carries a high value with the 1995 ASE W being the money coin, especially if certified.
    • 1986 marked the beginning of the W mint mark on all proofs.

AGE proofs made their first appearance in 1988:

• 1988-1991 have the P mint mark and Roman numerals
    • 1992 marked the beginning of Arabic numerals
    • 1992-1993 have a P mint mark
    • 1994 marked the beginning of the W mint mark

Concerning you odd ball set:

*There are no known authentic AGEs with a $20 face value (I suspect your $20 post is a typo).

• You have clarified the AGE is a 1990 P, a valid Roman numeral date for an AGE proof.
    • Your ASE proof(s) are likely authentic coins and carry proof value.
    • All authentic 1995 Gold and Silver sets were sold by the mint with the red US mint presentation boxes.
    • Most likely this set contains authentic coins and was assembled in an aftermarket presentation case by the collecor.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any pictures of the sets?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your set that does not have a COA, is either a Chinese counterfeit set or a set assembled by dealers(s) which may include original and not counterfeit coins spanning several years.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As indicated above, your 'bare bones' set is not a U.S. Mint product... but rather a post mint assembled set. Return it if you can. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2022 8:24AM

It sounds ( reads like ) a " put together" set/sets, and post mint.

See DerryB's and Ricko's and others' posts above.