Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who Has A Homely Toner But You Still Like It

lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what is a homely toner. I looked up an online definition of homely and it had:

Not attractive or good-looking.
Lacking elegance or refinement.
Of a simple or unpretentious nature; plain.

So perhaps a homely toner could be described as one that some or many would consider at best to have a slightly negative eye appeal but perhaps worse.

So do you have a homely toner but still like it? Is so, then post it up.
This might be a little difficult because sometimes people who have these toners don't recognize that others could consider it homely.

Here is mine. My SS indicates I bought this one in 96. I remember initially thinking, ugh. But then thought it was kind of different and clean for the grade. It was priced without premium, so I bought it. I kind of like it but I believe it is homely with the kind of splotchy toning and the special print type toning right on the bullseye. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually like the color.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what's more homely, the toning or the grade but I like it just enough.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I'm not sure what's more homely, the toning or the grade but I like it just enough.

THAT is exactly the kind of toning I like best! Subtle rim toning, but mostly flashy surfaces. Perfect, IMO.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple that are most certainly homely. Both were bought for my holder collection and both were inexpensive so the look was not a priority at the time. I bought the 1891-S from a forum member as part of a group of coin bought in 2005, and the 1902-O came from ebay also in 2005.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one thats nicely toned on the Observe (not a US coin though)

And Blazing white on the Reverse

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Know its too dark on the obverse but I like it since it has the half moon look and the reverse has plenty of color & is not that bad, hard to get the right picture. Hasn't changed in 10+ years & wasn't expensive, so its a keeper.

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2022 11:19AM

I've had this coin for 25 plus years. Not sure how long AT methods have been around. I always thought it was textile toning.

• Options

Definitely some homely ones in the above in my opinion but then some I like. Just the way it maybe should be.

@justindan That one looks a lot like mine. Notice how the back of the cap and top of the hair is not toned. Also the seemingly untoned areas and then the area with the print type toning or toning lines. I don't know this but I believe the print type toning or lines and some of the untoned areas are due to a film, oil or some substance being on the coin and then it does not tone where that stuff is at. Therefore the print type of toning. On mine if I put it under a light and tilt it sharply left or right and look at it with a 3X, 6X magnifier I can see a light tan film in the 'untoned' areas particularly in the print type area or splotchy areas. I sort of see some on your dollar. Your dollar would make a good cousin to mine or vice versa.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@lilolme I agree they are very similar. I also agree with you on your statements describing the coin surface and toning.

Pcgs #43799310 is similar. It's not my coin. I saw the trueview awhile back.

I guess I need to send it in for a hopeful straight grade.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s one that I consider to be a homely toner because the toning disrupts the design too much, but it actually a top pop for an Everyman set and most others look worse

Mr_Spud

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justindan said:
    I've had this coin for 25 plus years. Not sure how long AT methods have been around. I always thought it was textile toning.

nice. personally, i love seeing the toning and the "mint grease" brown smeary stuff. some disagree with me about that.

i've seen a LOT of toned morgans with what i call mint grease accompanied by lovely toning although the grease won't allow toning in those spots, i think it may enhance it in the other areas. :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one qualifies methinks . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

These don't have all that spectacular of toning but bought them for a slew of other reasons.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my "Ugly Duckling" in most eyes, except mine!

1889 AU 58

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@ricko I haven't been around long, but these aren't 'ricko approved' hehe

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade $'s
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme She's got caricature :)

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the Title of this post, are we supposed to click "LIKE" if we don't like it? :D

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 10:00AM

...either you like 'em, or you don't.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was out of my 55 mint set and all the silver was toned this way. Wish I had pics of the Benjy.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't decide if I like this one or feel sorry for the ugly duckling . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS MS65, borderline on whether it would be considered homely or not, but it has some blotches spots and specks that might give it that designation, I really like it though :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options

Again I see some nice toners and some homely.

Forgot about this one. I might not like it if I had not watched it 'grow' to it's current state. The reverse is more homely.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

That is all that matters.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    I can't decide if I like this one or feel sorry for the ugly duckling . . . .

Z

Has an eerie, ghost like effect.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    This was out of my 55 mint set and all the silver was toned this way. Wish I had pics of the Benjy.
    Jim

That obverse I would label "the sandstorm effect".

• Options

@GiveMeProof said:

That's not homely, that's just f'ugly.

HELP!

• Options
    split37split37 Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this one but I’m guessing most Walker collectors would prefer a blast white example to it.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WilliamF said:

PCGS MS65, borderline on whether it would be considered homely or not, but it has some blotches spots and specks that might give it that designation, I really like it though :)

PCGS called a proof MS?

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU but I still like it!

Rare color on a Bob McNamara Heraldic Art medal:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file