Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mailed PCGS a submission almost a month ago.

Still not even entered into the system. The post office says it was delivered. Guess the problems of the past aren't fixed at all.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you use the find package feature on the PCGS website to see if PCGS actually got it?

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're within the time frame. When it get to 3 months, I would start to worry.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 6:12AM

@FlyingAl said:
    Did you use the find package feature on the PCGS website to see if PCGS actually got it?

The post office confirmed they have it. They just haven't confirmed that in house.

• Options

PCGS has nothing. USPS says it was delivered . This tells me that it's sitting in a pile in a corner while the thousands of coins received at The Worlds Fair of Money were received.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Still not even entered into the system. The post office says it was delivered. Guess the problems of the past aren't fixed at all.

I would be worry by now. I hope you have insurance for it. Good luck.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:

PCGS has nothing. USPS says it was delivered . This tells me that it's sitting in a pile in a corner while the thousands of coins received at The Worlds Fair of Money were received.

My submission has been sitting in grading for months, but was entered less than a day after it was delivered. I’d give PCGS a call. Opening packages is many times not the bottleneck.

And many times it is.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 1:44PM

@DollarAfterDollar said:

@FlyingAl said:

The post office confirmed they have it. They just haven't confirmed that in house.

PCGS has a FIND MY PACKAGE feature that confirms they have received it

they have it on MY ACCOUNT page
    USPS delivery confirmation is not always correct

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@davewesen said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:

@FlyingAl said:

PCGS has a FIND MY PACKAGE feature that confirms they have received it

they have it on MY ACCOUNT page
    USPS delivery confirmation is not always correct

Isn't that backwards? PCGS tracking won't show it logged in until they log it in while USPS will show delivery even before it is logged in.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just by chance did you write the service level on the outside of the box before you shipped it to them?

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

Yes, I believe I did. That's my usual habit.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Isn't that backwards? PCGS tracking won't show it logged in until they log it in while USPS will show delivery even before it is logged in.

As I understand it, PCGS scans all incoming packages shortly after receipt from the courier.

They do this, and make this information available, before opening the package and formally entering it into the system.

It is a way to confirm that a package has indeed arrived.

Link

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent sub showed delivered by USPS a week before PCGS confirmed it...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 5:44PM

60 working days is 3 months calendar. My last sumission.
    Sit back relax and know it will come back to you someday!
    Coins consigned to Stacks Bowers in September scheduled for next February!!!
    No wonder Great Collections is doing so well! Fast is good!

• Options

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

As I understand it, PCGS scans all incoming packages shortly after receipt from the courier.

They do this, and make this information available, before opening the package and formally entering it into the system.

Link

Yes. But why would we assume that USPS scanned it delivered when it wasn't?? Isn't the sin of omission - failing to scan - more likely than the sin of commission?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Link

Yes. But why would we assume that USPS scanned it delivered when it wasn't?? Isn't the sin of omission - failing to scan - more likely than the sin of commission?

It goes right back to what I said this afternoon. I know the package was delivered to the PCGS address I sent it to because USPS said they delivered it. PCGS has not yet acknowledged it's being in house (for almost a month). I know it's there, it's just not in their system yet.

I know I'm not going to get the graded coins back until year end at the earliest. It just is a bit unsettling to know they're so busy that it may sit in a corner unopened until then.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2022 6:45AM

@jmlanzaf said:

Completely agree with you. :)

IMHO, P(PCGS failing to scan upon receipt) > P(USPS documenting a delivery that did not occur)

For me, the PCGS acknowledgement of receipt is simply a 'signal' that my submission has at least started its trek, albeit unofficially.

Edited for clarity.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

In this scenario, does pcgs’ insurance kick in and pay for the coins if they are indeed missing and PCGS cannot locate them in the building? Or does the submission have to appear in your order history for pcgs to accept responsibility for the coins? I’d really like to know the answer to this.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Link

It goes right back to what I said this afternoon. I know the package was delivered to the PCGS address I sent it to because USPS said they delivered it. PCGS has not yet acknowledged it's being in house (for almost a month). I know it's there, it's just not in their system yet.

I know I'm not going to get the graded coins back until year end at the earliest. It just is a bit unsettling to know they're so busy that it may sit in a corner unopened until then.

I would be very concerned that PCGS never got the coins if it isn't at a minimum listed in the "Find my package" feature. It's time to call them.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@1madman said:
    In this scenario, does pcgs’ insurance kick in and pay for the coins if they are indeed missing and PCGS cannot locate them in the building? Or does the submission have to appear in your order history for pcgs to accept responsibility for the coins? I’d really like to know the answer to this.

I am NOT saying that this submission is lost. More importantly, it appears that the OP does not believe that it is lost.

That aside, I found this:

Source: U.S. Submission Form, T&C #4 (back of the submission form)

I am not a lawyer. If the USPS says that it was delivered, does PCGS legally have "possession" of it?

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting that. Do we (members/submitters) have access to pcgs’ insurance carrier? Who are they, and would the OP benefit by contacting them now in order to start the filing of a claim? Reason I say this is because that may actually speed up the process of finding his misallocated package in the pcgs building. The insurer would probably know who to contact in receiving and begin the investigation.

• Options

@1madman said:
    Thanks for posting that. Do we (members/submitters) have access to pcgs’ insurance carrier? Who are they, and would the OP benefit by contacting them now in order to start the filing of a claim? Reason I say this is because that may actually speed up the process of finding his misallocated package in the pcgs building. The insurer would probably know who to contact in receiving and begin the investigation.

Excellent questions. Fortunately, I have never encountered this issue, so I have no information to share.

I sincerely hope that none of this becomes 'relevant/necessary'. Ideally, this submission will 'appear' as officially received in short order, despite not being scanned upon receipt. Or, that the issue can be rectified with a telephone call to PCGS CS.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2022 1:27AM

If I were you, I would contact PCGS, if it dosn't come in in the search for package received but not entered yet(after this much time), then something is definitely wrong, And I m pretty sure that if they have no record of it, they are not going to be covering an insurance claim, it would be up to you and PO. I have had a few packages take a little while to get logged, but they always showed up as recieved at facility using the PCGS locate package search.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    I would call them asap. I've never had a package take more than a day or two to show up in the PCGS system.

This…sorry but PCGS probably doesn’t have your coins no matter what USPS says.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    I would call them asap. I've never had a package take more than a day or two to show up in the PCGS system.

@jdimmick said:
    If I were you, I would contact PCGS, if it dosn't come in in the search for package received but not entered yet(after this much time), then something is definitely wrong, And I m pretty sure that if they have no record of it, they are not going to be covering an insurance claim, it would be up to you and PO. I have had a few packages take a little while to get logged, but they always showed up as recieved at facility using the PCGS locate package search.

I had a dealer friend argue for weeks with PCGS about whether or not they had the coins. They did.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2022 10:07AM

@Boosibri said:

According to "ShipSaving", you can ask the USPS for a GPS location of the delivery.

Source: https://www.shipsaving.com/blog/usps-says-delivered-but-its-not-here-what-to-do

Edited to add the quote.

• Options

@jdimmick said:

I agree about contacting PCGS. Not so sure about USPS responsibility.

I am NOT an expert. However, I think that the USPS insurance coverage ends when a package is "delivered".

"Indemnity is not paid for insured mail (including Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail), Registered Mail, COD, or Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express in these situations:
    Loss after items signed for by the addressee, the addressee’s agent, or delivery employee if authorized under the applicable standards."

Source: USPS DMM, Section 609, Sub-Section 4.3.v

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

So did you send the package with signature required? I know that since Covid carriers have been taking the Liberty to sign but hopefully you took that step and have something to support knowing if PCGS received the package.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    So did you send the package with signature required? I know that since Covid carriers have been taking the Liberty to sign but hopefully you took that step and have something to support knowing if PCGS received the package.

Excellent point.

I went back and reviewed the USPS DMM "non payable claims" section again. My bad; I missed the following the last time I skimmed it.

"Indemnity is not paid for insured mail (including Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail), Registered Mail, COD, or Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express in these situations:
    Loss, damage, or have missing contents, that occurred after delivery by the USPS."
    Source: USPS DMM, Section 609, Sub-Section 4.3.b

I think that this means that the USPS insurance coverage ends when a package is "delivered", regardless of any signature services.

@DollarAfterDollar - I hope that this works out favorably for you. Please consider keeping us updated. :)

• Options

No, I did not ask USPS for signature required because they don't do it anyway.

I called PCGS this morning and was 59th in line. Called back an hour later and the message that time was their call back ability for the day was exhausted. Well, that makes two of us.

Trying again tomorrow.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

By now, it should be updated as received if you use the package finder option. If it was delivered a month ago and still doesnt shows as received when you click on package finder (as opposed to it being logged in as received), I'd be concerned and call ASAP.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I called this morning. Fifty one ahead of me for a call back. I have an eye Doctor appointment soon so if they call, my wife gets to deal with the poor, unsuspecting soul. Heaven help him/her.

I picked up submission forms at The World's Fair of Money and was surprised to see a new ship to address for US coins in Santa Ana, California. I'm guessing someone at that location dropped the ball, my stuff's in rotation and just wasn't entered into the system. It will just suddenly show up at my doorstep around Christmas.

My wife will ask them to send claim forms, I know how she works.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

My reply about the Santa Ana addr being for Fed Ex shipments went off to the bit-bin and may or may not return.
    It had supporting form quotes embedded (and may have been edited too many times?).
    re-posting just in case.

• Options

@DollarAfterDollar

If you, or your wife, did not connect with PCGS CS today, you might want to try calling when they first open for the day, assuming that is convenient for you.

I have found the queue, and associated wait time, is shorter when I call at 7:00 AM Pacific Time.

Good Luck. :)

• Options

A gent from PCGS called back a bit later today, we talked, they're going to do a search and E-Mail me when it concludes. I'm still not worried. I think it was delivered and just put into grading que without being entered.

The address in Santa Ana is there for FedEx deliveries which are more often the case than historically. The original P.O. Box used in Long Beach is still fine for use with USPS he says.

• Options

Been 2 days, no call back as yet.

• Options

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been a week, have they called back yet? I am hoping for the best.

• Options

Naw, been 8 days with no contact. I don't know the process for filing a claim (I doubt anyone does) but I'm guessing they make that just as difficult as possible. I'm still hopeful it's located in house.

• Options

I hope that they find it in-house.

In the meantime, it was pointed out earlier in this thread that the USPS is supposed to capture GPS info for each package delivery. Getting these coordinates might be a worthwhile 'next step'. Assuming it was delivered to a PCGS location, this would be a proactive 'first step' in gathering supporting documentation for any potential claim.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any updates?

• Options

Yes, please post an update so we know what happened.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    60 working days is 3 months calendar. My last sumission.
    Sit back relax and know it will come back to you someday!
    Coins consigned to Stacks Bowers in September scheduled for next February!!!
    No wonder Great Collections is doing so well! Fast is good!

Is grading faster through Great Collections?

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be very concerned. PCGS scans each package when received before opening the package. I had a shipment stolen in route and an empty box was delivered to PCGS. I used FEDEX and had insured with FEDEX...you can only insure up to $1000 for coins. I settled my claim with FEDEX within one week after being notified by PCGS the box was empty. People know what PCGS packages have inside them. USPS and FEDEX have 99.9% honest employees. There are always some who are thieves. PCGS has cameras looking at the receiving and opening of each package. I remember PCGS posting that some packages had been stolen from USPS during the Holidays and they were working with the Post Office to investigate the thefts. IMO PCGS should use a generic sounding name and address for USPS and FEDEX deliveries.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    A gent from PCGS called back a bit later today, we talked, they're going to do a search and E-Mail me when it concludes. I'm still not worried. I think it was delivered and just put into grading que without being entered.

The address in Santa Ana is there for FedEx deliveries which are more often the case than historically. The original P.O. Box used in Long Beach is still fine for use with USPS he says.

Did he perchance check the packagefinder while you were on the phone with him?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

I think pcgs found his coin otherwise he would post an update.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Millions of coins already graded. You can’t find coins to buy out of those and save the hassle ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file