Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mailed PCGS a submission almost a month ago.

2»

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Millions of coins already graded. You can’t find coins to buy out of those and save the hassle ?

Nope. Not when there's only 0-5 already slabbed of what I'm looking for. Not that they have to be slabbed but PCGS does a nice job attributing some esoteric stuff I like and it will help my heirs sell later.

Looks like OP hasn't logged in since this thread got resurrected. Hopefully s/he will soon and update with positive news. @DollarAfterDollar update if you can please, inquiring minds are NOSY (like mine). Sometimes bad luck happens and no system is perfect. And sometimes part of making things right includes a non-disclosure (and as OP still does come here s/he must not be angry at our hosts I'm thinking).

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar Any updates on this? There surely should have been progress if not a resolution by now.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone need to pm him to remind him to update the status. I saw him posted on another thread yesterday so he is around but for some reasons just don’t update the status on this thread.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    I would be very concerned. PCGS scans each package when received before opening the package. I had a shipment stolen in route and an empty box was delivered to PCGS. I used FEDEX and had insured with FEDEX...you can only insure up to $1000 for coins. I settled my claim with FEDEX within one week after being notified by PCGS the box was empty. People know what PCGS packages have inside them. USPS and FEDEX have 99.9% honest employees. There are always some who are thieves. PCGS has cameras looking at the receiving and opening of each package. I remember PCGS posting that some packages had been stolen from USPS during the Holidays and they were working with the Post Office to investigate the thefts. IMO PCGS should use a generic sounding name and address for USPS and FEDEX deliveries.

If you can only insure up to $1000 of coins with FedEx. Why would Pcgs S ship coins by FedEx worth $10,000?

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:

@RLSnapper said:
    I would be very concerned. PCGS scans each package when received before opening the package. I had a shipment stolen in route and an empty box was delivered to PCGS. I used FEDEX and had insured with FEDEX...you can only insure up to $1000 for coins. I settled my claim with FEDEX within one week after being notified by PCGS the box was empty. People know what PCGS packages have inside them. USPS and FEDEX have 99.9% honest employees. There are always some who are thieves. PCGS has cameras looking at the receiving and opening of each package. I remember PCGS posting that some packages had been stolen from USPS during the Holidays and they were working with the Post Office to investigate the thefts. IMO PCGS should use a generic sounding name and address for USPS and FEDEX deliveries.

If you can only insure up to $1000 of coins with FedEx. Why would Pcgs S ship coins by FedEx worth $10,000?

PCGS might has third party insurance. I used third party insurance to insure shipments

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, missed that this thread resurfaced.

At the risk of saying too much, I'll just note that because I never received any communication from PCGS beyond the initial E-Mails back in the fall, I sent them my entire paper trail certified mail, return receipt. I know they received it because I got the return receipt. As you might by now expect, even after providing phone number, E-Mail and home address I've still to hear one word from our host, it's been well over 30 days.
    What I sent them proves they received the package at the Santa Ana location, somewhere between there and the grading department it disappeared. Given the silence it's fair to assume PCGS has no intention of resolving the matter voluntarily.

The wordy disclaimer on the back of your submission forms referring to "insurance" suggests to me that they may be self insured for such losses, that's the only thing I can think of that would result in such unwillingness to engage.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:

At the risk of saying too much, I'll just note that because I never received any communication from PCGS beyond the initial E-Mails back in the fall, I sent them my entire paper trail certified mail, return receipt. I know they received it because I got the return receipt. As you might by now expect, even after providing phone number, E-Mail and home address I've still to hear one word from our host, it's been well over 30 days.
    What I sent them proves they received the package at the Santa Ana location, somewhere between there and the grading department it disappeared. Given the silence it's fair to assume PCGS has no intention of resolving the matter voluntarily.

The wordy disclaimer on the back of your submission forms referring to "insurance" suggests to me that they may be self insured for such losses, that's the only thing I can think of that would result in such unwillingness to engage.

Wow. I hope things get straightened out. This is the exact opposite of how it should be handled. Good luck!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:

Many people have insurance policies which allow and cover such shipments.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@DollarAfterDollar said:

Have you tried sending a private message to @HeatherBoyd?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:

Have you tried sending a private message to @HeatherBoyd?

I have not. I'm unsure of her role with the company and don't know that this is in her list of responsibilities. In any event, I'd expect a certified letter to find it's way to the company official most appropriate to respond.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, not the update I was expecting.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted 2 coins at FUN 2 weeks ago, they are at my postoffice waiting for pickup - no complaints here. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yah - except for the grades ........... :(

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, and there is absolutely no excuse at all for such poor communication from our host in this scenario. I would hope that they are able to work with you and come to a fair resolution very soon. Keep us posted, please.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:

"We" can only insure for $1000, but there are other provisions and agreements that allow some companies to ship more valuable items with insurance... That and there are also third party insurance companies you can use. Or, as someone else stated its possible they simply self insure.

edited January 21, 2023 6:31AM

@Lakesammman said:
    I submitted 2 coins at FUN 2 weeks ago, they are at my postoffice waiting for pickup - no complaints here. :+1:

Tim, while that’s good for you, it doesn’t have anything to do with the unfortunate and no doubt, extremely upsetting issue that @DollarAfterDollar is dealing with. I’m sure it wasn’t your intent, but to me, the post seems to minimize the situation.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@RLSnapper said:

Many people have insurance policies which allow and cover such shipments.

Or they self insure.

• wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

PCGS Submission Guidelines:

• Ship via USPS Registered Mail (registered, insured) for safest delivery. Ship to: PCGS, P.O. Box 9458, Newport Beach, CA 92658.
    • If shipping via FedEx, ship to: PCGS, 1610 E. St. Andrews Place Ste. 150, Santa Ana, CA 92705.

The crux of the matter is that your package was mailed to the wrong address. PCGS may be able to provide insight as to how packages are received at the Santa Ana location. Are FedEx packages placed in a locked box to which USPS doesn't have access? Is someone even available at the location to receive USPS deliveries, or would your Registered (no signature required) package simply be left outside the address? Is PCGS responsible? IDK

edited January 22, 2023 1:11PM

Because of the never ending price increases I picked up some new US Coin Submission forms at the Worlds Fair of Money Coin Show in Schaumburg, Ill in late August 2022 from the PCGS booth. When I was hand writing my submission I noticed the Santa Ana address was the only address on the form.

I've made many (many) submissions to PCGS through the years, each had always been to Long Beach but the new form said differently. Who am I to question their decision to change the receiving address?
    During my E-Mail conversation with a PCGS Representative he indicated that the new address was intended for Fed-Ex shipments. As I said, there's just the one address on the form. I cannot be the only one to have shipped coins to this address.

In my view it's crazy to think that packages arriving at this location via USPS do not receive the same security considerations as Long Beach or any other ship to site used by Collectors Universe, NGC, CAC at their 2 addresses or anyone else in this trade.

The reason this ends up in PCGS's lap is because USPS indicates through tracking that the package was delivered. Received at 11:24 AM on a Wednesday makes this discussion all pretty moot.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 1:57PM

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    [...] During my E-Mail conversation with a PCGS Representative he indicated that the new address was intended for Fed-Ex shipments. As I said, there's just the one address on the form. I cannot be the only one to have shipped coins to this address. [...]

FWIW, the PDF submission form currently on the PCGS website is the same (i.e., it has the Santa Ana address on it).

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/submissionform/usacoin.pdf?v=2022

If PCGS does not want USPS packages delivered to this address, they need to make an edit when updating to the 2023 version of the form.

Edited for clarity.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 2:24PM

@jt88 said:
    I think pcgs found his coin otherwise he would post an update.

That's why he SHOULD post an update. If PCGS found it let us know.

theknowitalltroll;

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jt88 said:

That's why he SHOULD post an update.

And he DID post an update.

@MFeld said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jt88 said:

I didn't read the entire second page, but the idea still stands. Post an update if they found it.

theknowitalltroll;
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MFeld said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jt88 said:

I didn't read the entire second page, but the idea still stands. Post an update if they found it.

You only have to scroll up a few messages to read the OP’s update. The coin has not been found and there has been no resolution.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

.> @DeplorableDan said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@MFeld said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jt88 said:

You only have to scroll up a few messages to read the OP’s update. The coin has not been found and there has been no resolution.

Understood, but still good general advice.

theknowitalltroll;
  • RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar if you read the shipping instructions it clearly states in shipping instructions:
    Ship via USPS Registered Mail (registered, insured) for safest delivery. Ship to: PCGS, P.O. Box 9458, Newport Beach, CA 92658.
    If shipping via FedEx, ship to: PCGS, 1610 E. St. Andrew Place Ste. 150, Santa Ana, CA 92705.
    That being said a Postal Employee left your package with someone somewhere. I would contact USPS and speak to a Supervisor to see which employee delivered your package and who signed for the package at PCGS. You need to establish as the lawyers say a chain of custody for your package.

With all due respect, this was a $1,500 submission. Registered mail on such a low value submission doesn't make sense when I have a dozen or more such submissions each year, year after year, without issue. And again, the post office provided evidence of delivery. I went to my post office to "explore" and they basically told me to hit the road.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    With all due respect, this was a $1,500 submission. Registered mail on such a low value submission doesn't make sense when I have a dozen or more such submissions each year, year after year, without issue. And again, the post office provided evidence of delivery. I went to my post office to "explore" and they basically told me to hit the road.

My unsolicited advice in that case would be to combine submissions so that USPS registered makes sense. It will save you money on postage and processing.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file