Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your favorite Eagle on US coinage?

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2022 6:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

While there are tons of designs, there are some basic themes which repeat. For example, the Heraldic Form with upward open wings, arrows, leaves, and +/- a shield is seen on many coin designs with minor variations (Kennedy half dollar, Liberty Head gold coinage, ASE, Morgan, PanPac, Barber quarter/half, etc.)

I really like eagle on the Peace dollar. I live around plenty of bald eagles, and the majority of the time, that's how they look. Sure, they're plenty beautiful when they fly (Sacagawea, SLQ, St. Gaudens), but the various transitional poses (Stone Mountain, Eisenhower, Walker, Lincoln & Alabama, Washington quarter, and the eagles of the Seated series) look a tad "forced" to my eye - especially the Walker.

I like the small eagles on early coinage though. I'll admit that they're an acquired taste. At first glance, they look like slightly majestic chickens maybe.

My least favorite is easy - the ridiculous thing on the reverse of the Franklin Half. How contrived.

Your favorite?

Comments

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭

The commemorative halves have so many interesting eagles. I like the unusual ones that have a period Deco look, like Connecticut and Bridgeport. Not majestic eagles like on other coins (which are great) but just a glimpse into the design culture of the period.

• Options

With out a doubt, my favorite eagle would have to be Saint Gaudens rendition on the reverse of his $10. That is, however, not considering pattern designs as well.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2022 5:31AM

While I enjoy the classic renditions, I do appreciate the 2022 ASE version as a sharp design. :)

Late edit to add photo:

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

The heraldic eagle on the draped bust series has always been my favorite.

• Options

@Nic said:

That looks like an 1892 Tripled Die Reverse. Did you realize that? Very pretty 🤩👍👍

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2022 7:33AM

Probably one of these two if I had to choose. Funny, I love the Bald Eagle design on US coins but the series I'm most involved with (Middle Date LC's) doesn't have that design element...

edited to add... OK, for design elements incorporating an eagle... and since I'm looking for the 1-year type...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:

>

edited to add... OK, for design elements incorporating an eagle... and since I'm looking for the 1-year type...

>
    >
    I’ve been looking for one of these also, with vivid bullseye toning. Probably gonna pay a premium if I can ever locate one.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2022 8:37AM

@justmenutty72 said:

@lkenefic said:

>

>
    >
    I’ve been looking for one of these also, with vivid bullseye toning. Probably gonna pay a premium if I can ever locate one.

Yeah, finding this issue in mid-grades (XF/AU) and with nice toning has been a struggle. Most pieces have either been dipped out or cleaned in some way. I poached the image above from an auction where the seller noted "obverse cleaning".... and it was... and harshly so! "... done, done, on to the next one..."

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these 2 are way underappreciated... Although some might not consider the Feuchtwanger a US coin...

Both my coins.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    My favorite among many great Eagle coins, is the Eagle on the Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Always has been 'my bird'. Copied this one to post. Cheers, RickO

Yes, I like this one the most. The $20 St. Gaudens is a very close runner-up.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impossible to pick one.

A few of my favorites:
    Also the flying eagle cent, don’t currently have one. :(

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me down for the FEC Eagle, but on a Gobrecht dollar.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great topic but impossible for me to pick one.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2022 4:09AM

I sort of like the following three a little more, mainly because of amount of fine details and also the fact that one of them represents family instead of the lone eagle normally found on the rest of the coinage.

Just my two cents as always.
    Cheers.

**Edited to rotate and re-orient pics

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the double eagle as well. Here are two examples from the "D" mint...

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the walker for me.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of us that actually
    live around Eagles…Bald, Golden or otherwise….there can be little debate that the Walking Lib Half reverse is the most realistic…followed closely by the SLQ Eagle…

• Options

I think the one on the back of the Sac dollar is my favorite, followed by the St. Gaudens, then the SLQ.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file