Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This auction will be a true test of the value of PCGS plastic!

Comments

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Obviously, the coin is awful. I think the holder is as well despite its vaunted numismatic history. Never understood the attraction. I'd prefer a doily slab instead.

I like Doily slabs also, but they are "common" compared to Regency slabs. As a matter of fact I'm not picky at all. I like Doily slabs, Regency slabs, PCGS Gen 1.0 & 1.1 (108 white label rattlers), and NGC 1.0, 2.1, & 2.0 slabs. :)

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@Catbert said:
    Obviously, the coin is awful. I think the holder is as well despite its vaunted numismatic history. Never understood the attraction. I'd prefer a doily slab instead.

I like Doily slabs also, but they are "common" compared to Regency slabs. As a matter of fact I'm not picky at all. I like Doily slabs, Regency slabs, PCGS Gen 1.0 & 1.1 (108 white label rattlers), and NGC 1.0, 2.1, & 2.0 slabs. :)

Agree. I don't collect the slabs myself. But there are less than 1000 total and less than 400 US coins.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@Catbert said:

Agree. I don't collect the slabs myself. But there are less than 1000 total and less than 400 US coins.

Original number produced was closer to 700, approximately an even split between Danny Kaye and non-Danny Kaye coins. US coin population was probably closer to 200, maybe less. Of the surviving holders, I have seen many with cracks, chips or other imperfections.

Tim

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

these seem to have the largest spread on the cert # than any other older collectable holder.

some start with 1 some start with 4 !

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@Catbert said:

I don't care if there were 3 produced. Just not attractive to me.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    Does anyone have an idea, or is there a list, that shows how many US gold coins are in these
    regency holders?

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but as others have mentioned it is my understanding that the vast majority of Regency slabs are Israeli coins from the Danny Kaye collection. There is however an 1888 Double Eagle currently for sale on ebay. Unfortunately, it is out of my price range.

It would be nice if there was a census for Regency slabs similar to the Doily census, and NGC 2.0 and 2.1 census.

There is a census thread (last update early 2021).

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/785122/pcgs-regency-slab-census-updated-january-2021/p1

• Options

@Catbert said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@Catbert said:

That's your prerogative, and I respect your opinion, but many people do like them myself included.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    Does anyone have an idea, or is there a list, that shows how many US gold coins are in these
    regency holders?

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but as others have mentioned it is my understanding that the vast majority of Regency slabs are Israeli coins from the Danny Kaye collection. There is however an 1888 Double Eagle currently for sale on ebay. Unfortunately, it is out of my price range.

It would be nice if there was a census for Regency slabs similar to the Doily census, and NGC 2.0 and 2.1 census.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/785122/pcgs-regency-slab-census-updated-january-2021/p1

Thanks U1chicago, I guess I missed it.

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Perhaps PCGS will buy it back?? B)

Maybe but first you will have to wait 5 hours on hold and 5 months for a final answer. :D

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:

@U1chicago said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    regency holders?

Thanks U1chicago, I guess I missed it.

You're welcome! The white label rattler census thread seemed to be more active from what I recall. I do appreciate that someone started all of these-it's a good resource for all us slab connoisseurs.

• Options

@Catbert said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@Catbert said:

I don't like Hummels either. They simply aren't attractive to me.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO analogous to a Fiat 500 motor in a Ferrari GTO chassis.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blu62vette said:
    Likely the first silver eagle ever graded 70?

_Likely the first silver eagle ever graded 70 on Taco Tuesday _

Fixed it for ya! ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@fathom said:
    IMO analogous to a Fiat 500 motor in a Ferrari GTO chassis.

Displayed properly, no one knows what's under the hood. Just don't drive it on the track.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭

If I knew for sure or there were a label indicating the "Danny Kaye" provenance, I would add it to my collection. I grew up watching his movies. A great actor he was in his time. I agree its unsightly, but if it wasn't too much money, I would like to have it if it was indeed his coin at one time.

• Options

@air4mdc said:
    If I knew for sure or there were a label indicating the "Danny Kaye" provenance, I would add it to my collection. I grew up watching his movies. A great actor he was in his time. I agree its unsightly, but if it wasn't too much money, I would like to have it if it was indeed his coin at one time.

I believe it's the Israeli coins that were the Danny Kaye coins.

• Options

@air4mdc said:

Does this count as provenance?

Tim

• Options
    edited July 28, 2022 1:07PM

@pointfivezero said:

@air4mdc said:

Tim

Based on the plaque, all the Israeli coins must have been Danny Kaye's... and half the total Regency coins. What an interesting, accidental homage to Mr. Kaye.

Edited to add: what does "Specimen coin #371" refer to if there were 363 Kaye coins?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@pointfivezero said:

@air4mdc said:

Tim

Based on the plaque, all the Israeli coins must have been Danny Kaye's... and half the total Regency coins. What an interesting, accidental homage to Mr. Kaye.

Edited to add: what does "Specimen coin #371" refer to if there were 363 Kaye coins?

It means the family found some extra Lirot after the initial run. It also means I had to pay extra for this anomaly set.

Tim

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 weeks to go, and it's already at $655 (+ BP). I get the scarcity argument, but I find it fascinating that it is still desirable holding what surely has to be the world's ugliest MS70 coin. It will be interesting to watch.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options

Wow, it's still three weeks out and it is currently at $1,819 (not counting the BP). It has already exceeded my expectations and unfortunately my wallet.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still stuck at $1819 with just under a week to go - 7 different bidders so far.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Still stuck at $1819 with just under a week to go - 7 different bidders so far.

I fell asleep at the wheel Sunday night and missed out on this Regency holder. Anyone here snag it?

Tim

• Options

@foodude I saw that exhibit and it was among my favorites! Well done and some cool pieces you have there!

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d take it…but not for what it’ll sell for.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    cbtazmancbtazman Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    Join The Hunt and Spread the word!
    Real American Treasure
    cbtazman@realamericantreasure.com
  • Options

This discussion should last at least through Sunday (8/28/2022) because the coin in the OP hasn't sold yet. The coin posted by pointfivezero is different and a much nicer coin. The coin in the OP is a dog that has turned in the holder so the value is based solely on the plastic.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greg - nice display! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like the time to give this one a bump - 10+ hours left. And yes, I agree the coin is less than desirable ...

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭

FYI: Current bid: $1919.00 (excluding buyers charge) at 10:24 AM, closing this evening just before 8PM

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

So what would PCGS policy be on this if it were sent back to get a reholdering? Clearly it turned in the holder, so isn't subject to any grade guarantee. Would our hosts hold their noses and put it in their current slab type with a MS70 grade?

https://www.pcgs.com/services/reholder - says that there is an inspection to see if the coin and holder are genuine, and if so, the coin is not graded again, just put in the new holder. The coin and holder in this case are, indeed, genuine.

(would be foolish for someone to do this, as the entire value of this coin is the holder; I'm just curious what PCGS would do since there is no way that the coin would grade today as a 70).

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredF said:
    So what would PCGS policy be on this if it were sent back to get a reholdering? Clearly it turned in the holder, so isn't subject to any grade guarantee. Would our hosts hold their noses and put it in their current slab type with a MS70 grade?

https://www.pcgs.com/services/reholder - says that there is an inspection to see if the coin and holder are genuine, and if so, the coin is not graded again, just put in the new holder. The coin and holder in this case are, indeed, genuine.

(would be foolish for someone to do this, as the entire value of this coin is the holder; I'm just curious what PCGS would do since there is no way that the coin would grade today as a 70).

PCGS wouldn't re-slab it as a 70. I don't think they would honor their grade guarantee for a coin that turns in their slab because it was poorly stored or had dip residue that wasn't properly rinsed off.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@FredF said:

PCGS wouldn't re-slab it as a 70. I don't think they would honor their grade guarantee for a coin that turns in their slab because it was poorly stored or had dip residue that wasn't properly rinsed off.

I'm not sure if this is considered milk spotting, PCGS explicitly excludes this:

PCGS Policy for Spotting of Modern Silver Coins

https://www.pcgs.com/silver-coins-spot-policy

PCGS said:
    If coins spot after they are graded by PCGS, they are not covered by the terms of the PCGS grading guarantee.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 2:01PM

@Lakesammman said:
    This auction will be a true test of the value of PCGS plastic!

At GC - we will see in about a month how much a Regency holder is worth relative to the value of the coin.

At less than 6 hours (quarter day) to go, it's at double PCGS Price Guide, so looks pretty strong to me.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@Catbert said:

I think they’re a neat novelty. They’d be ridiculous as the standard slab, but especially as someone who likes green, they have an appeal for a one-off special coin. That said, I have one of the Danny Kaye sets (coin, box, bag), and the fact that it’s either #76 or 77 (I don’t remember which off-hand, but both are sentimental numbers from college) makes it that much more enjoyable. I’m not interested in building a set of the holders, but I think one is pretty neat.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

It closed at $2,049.99 ($2,306.24 with the BP). That comes to about $18.50 for the coin and $2,288 for the plastic.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 8:14PM

@UpGrayedd said:
    It closed at $2,049.99 ($2,306.24 with the BP). That comes to about $18.50 for the coin and $2,288 for the plastic.

Very nice value!

Don't forget the MS70 grade!

• Options

Yeah, I set my max amount and stuck with it for a change. I think I was outbid in the final 10 seconds:

Tim

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Horror.

Vplite99
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went for less than I thought it would.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

What was your guess?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@coinbuf said:

What was your guess?

I was thinking it would be north of 3K. Still $2,300 for the plastic is a big number and why I have stopped chasing old holders.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2022 8:59PM

@coinbuf said:

@Zoins said:

@coinbuf said:

What was your guess?

I was thinking it would be north of 3K. Still $2,300 for the plastic is a big number and why I have stopped chasing old holders.

Agree it's a big number. At 3k, I think the coin inside is more important.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stick with my page one assessment in Capital Letters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file