Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG 1898 Morgan Dollar

jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone! It's been a LONG time since I've done a guess the grade here on this forum. I thought I would post two Morgan Dollar I purchased last October at a local show. I'd love any feedback you would like to offer. Up first is this 1898 Morgan Dollar.

Comments

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

not sure how much the struck-through debris on the reverse would affect it at pcgs but your images are lovely, as usual, so i'll say 65+.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin and pictures! I'll go strong MS65.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2022 10:13PM

I'm not quite sure what's going on at the base of the neck there, so I'll go 64. Without that I can see a gem grade.

Coin Photographer.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one looks more like a 5, solid and frosty with some interesting strike through pocks ... great images as with the other

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

• dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2022 7:59PM

Perhaps an MS-65 because of the stuff on the neck and junk under the left wing. Otherwise it would probably be 66.
    I'm not an experienced grader.

Young Numismatist

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say 64+ due to the reverse.

Btw, great meeting you at grapevine!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

• al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

Very strong 65 and would not surprise me to see 66
    BTW I am not to good at grading MS coins but coin does have some serious eye appeal
    Al

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• jp84jp84 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 65

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was 64,.... Read the comments.... thought about 65,.... I will stick with MS64. Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worried also about the neck. 64.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 to me, the neck hits just look worse imho

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something about the reverse of this coin... MS65

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking 4 and possible PL

Tom

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse field between the wreath and wing -left side- is what may trump a 65. Could go either way. It has a better look than most 64s... 64+ is as low as I am willing to go

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AllentramAllentram Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I'll guess 65.

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin and think it's 64+ due to some chatter in the reverse fields. It certainly has a shot at 65 since the cheek looks so nice. Good looking coin!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 65, no PL.

Vplite99
  • bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

64+ at worst and a possible GEM. Send her in!

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt, don't.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    I’d say 64+ due to the reverse.

Btw, great meeting you at grapevine!

Sorry, it was not me at Grapevine. I'm on the west coast. I'd love to make it to some other show around the country though.

@coinkat said:
    The reverse field between the wreath and wing -left side- is what may trump a 65. Could go either way. It has a better look than most 64s... 64+ is as low as I am willing to go

That is struck through wood chips/saw dust. The planchet was still a bit damp and had some of the wood chips/ saw dust clinging to the surfaces prior to it being struck. That is also what is going on on the obverse around the neck. Not everyone likes the look, but it's one of the attributes that drew me to it.

Lot's of good guesses coming in, but nobody has guessed correctly yet. I will reveal in the morning.

• conrad99conrad99 Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

You really like to make people wait!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the strike through concept.... the 98 p does not have great PL fields. Might be PL and may be in the 66 range.

It truly is a great looking coin- especially for the date

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• AvocetAvocet Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 7:33AM

My guess: MS-63+

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:
    Lot's of good guesses coming in, but nobody has guessed correctly yet. I will reveal in the morning.

No 63 or less or 67 guesses. Maybe the marks under the left wing make it a 63?

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

edited July 30, 2022 10:00AM

This has been fun. It is now time for the reveal. This coin is graded MS-66+ by PCGS. The fields are very flashy and semi-PL. I think it just missed going PL.

• sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. My guess was 65. The reveal happened while I tried to look up the VAM number (unable to determine however).

@sumdunce said:
    Nice coin. My guess was 65. The reveal happened while I tried to look up the VAM number (unable to determine however).

I have not tried to sit down and VAM it yet. That is something I usually do, but just have not in this case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file