Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How early were you to eBay, and do you remember your first purchase?

I started in 1998. I can't remember the fee structure then, seems like it was 3 or 4 %, and money orders were the big form of payment with no digital payment formats yet established. I remember printing out lists for my dad for old case brand pocketknives he might be interested in as he was a collector, marveling at all of the things I now had access to that local coin shows and shops just didn't provide. Do you remember your first eBay purchase? Mine was an MS-65 common date Morgan dollar that I still have.

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

May of 1999, according to my eBay profile. I was a minor so might have used my parents credit card to get started. As far as my first purchase, I do not recall. It may have been a numismatic item, or possibly a music CD. I do remember physically mailing money orders from the post office as payment. Those were the days.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

March 1999

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got to Ebay pretty late (2016 I think) my first coin purchase was a roll of wheat cents :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

I first joined eBay in 2000. I don’t remember my first purchase, but it wasn’t coin related.

I remember my first coin purchase was a 1865 PCGS MS63 nickel 3 cent piece, I still have it.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Civil War era image I believe.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

1999 and yes I remember. It was a vintage Apple device.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that early, 2001. I was 14, had to use my moms information. First purchase was a Revised Edition play set of scrublands for MTG.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

November of 1999, a fairly rare golden age comic book that I still own.

Sure miss those ebay days.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

December 1999 here - I don't recall what I bought back then but it wasn't coins. I do wish I had bought a ton of Ebay stock though.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RandomsRandoms Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 12:41PM

I believe it was October 1998. I was late to the party because I was selling on the Beckett trading boards

• Options

February, 2000.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

April 2001. I was still in high school, my first purchase was probably something stupid.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. No idea what my first purchase was. My 1st sale was a $2.5 gold Indian.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had stuff to sell in 2000 so that’s when I setup my account. I didn’t make my first coin purchase until a few years later if I recall. It was a raw 1942/1-D Mercury Dime Cherrypick. I had it slabbed and it graded F15 at which time I sold it.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Joined on my birthday, Sept 8, 1996. I remember when they charged to add photos, so many sellers didn't. So you bought things sight unseen. I remember buying an early Thor comic listed as VF that arrived as a VG at best. Ah, the good ol days.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late 1996. A bunch of baseball cards, trying to finish a bunch of sets. Last purchase August, 2001.

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

April '99. From feedback it looks like comic books and if it's comic books it is probably early EC mads.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

December 1998. And no, I don't recall my first purchase or sale.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

1998, I can't remember that far back! :|

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 2:29PM
    1. Bought a slabbed $20 Gold DE. Shortly after that started selling there. It was fantastic time for me to buy and sell there. Much better than my performance at shows as this b4 the big boys came in.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

October 1998. First purchase, no idea.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 2:37PM

I bought a copy of No One Lives Forever for PC around 2003-2004. That was my first purchase on my own account rather than my parents. I also bought an unopened copy of Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall around that same time. I wish I had never lost that one.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early 2000. I think I bought something from Barry Stuppler.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was in 2002. My first was s sale of a piece of electronics. "Knock on wood" never had a neg selling or buying.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I created my account on Apr 28th, 1998.

Can't quite remember what I bought first, but I think it may have been a raw Barber half dollar. Back in 1998, I think eBay was the most amazing site I'd seen on the Internet. I was blown away.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Probably a knife.
      Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was hanging around websites like Amazon and eBay etc. earlier but never really took the plunge till 2001 when I bought a used Sony Hi8 handycam from eBay. o:)

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

I signed up in Sept of 2000. My first purchase was a newspaper from the 1860’s during the civil war.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

Very late but remember my best purchases

1917-S Obverse Walker Anacs 58 crossed and CAC at 58
    1921 PCGS Walker Au 58 CAC
    One of only 2 known Lazy Deuces for home boyhood home town.

• Options
    wevwev Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 8:36PM

When it was still AuctionWeb, so early 1996. A pristine c 1805 9 1/2" coffin end serving spoon by Robert Brookhouse for $17.55 including postage (I don't collect coins, preferring hand craft over machine production).

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joined eBay back in November 2006. My first eBay purchase was some stamps for my stamp collector brother.

I've only used eBay to buy coins I couldn't source locally here in Australia. I seem to recall my first was a 1926 1 krone from Greenland.

This was back when fewer US-based sellers on eBay had qualms about shipping coins to Australia.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it was 2003. Bought my first slabbed coin. A 1937 NGC MS65 Buffalo Nickel. Still have it!

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

November 1997. I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning let alone my first eBay purchase.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay was the only place I could find the Dansco ASE album. That was my first eBay purchase, still have the Album.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

November 1999.
    I don't remember what I bought though.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aug. 2003
    I don't remember my first purchase or sale.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like 1999 though I can’t seem to nail down the month. No idea what that first purchase was either.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I was selling on eBay in 1998, you had to be 18 to have an account. I was a rebel selling on eBay at 16. (Not coins). My first purchase was a remote control car battery pack.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dec 1998 ... probably a Cal Fractional.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

May 2001. A toy for my toddler.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    Joined eBay back in November 2006. My first eBay purchase was some stamps for my stamp collector brother.

I've only used eBay to buy coins I couldn't source locally here in Australia. I seem to recall my first was a 1926 1 krone from Greenland.

This was back when fewer US-based sellers on eBay had qualms about shipping coins to Australia.

I still ship to Australia. I don't know why the US sellers would care. It's a bigger problem for b the Australian recipient with the duties and all.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was 1996.... and my first purchase was a marble.... Then lots of them..... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

2012, I avoided it like the plague due to all the over-promotion "noise" which totally turned me off. I heard the early years were truly golden years for sellers.

I have been buying/selling there since.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2022 11:34AM

@Rob9874 said:
    Joined on my birthday, Sept 8, 1996. I remember when they charged to add photos, so many sellers didn't. So you bought things sight unseen. I remember buying an early Thor comic listed as VF that arrived as a VG at best. Ah, the good ol days.

You joined eBay on the day I got married. I joined in October 1998, I remember it was @MWallace who told me about it, up until then I was buying and selling through the classified ads in Numismatic News. I am sure my first purchase was a clipped Lincoln cent of some sort, I couldn't tell you exactly which one. I do recall my first sale was a group of BIE 1995 cents that I'd set aside while looking for the DDO.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2022 8:13AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sapyx said:

I still ship to Australia. I don't know why the US sellers would care. It's a bigger problem for b the Australian recipient with the duties and all.

Australia caused me quite a few headaches due to covid for awhile. They completely stopped inbound packages and I had 4 or 5 returned. Usually took 3-4 months to get them back. Shipping to Australia has also gone up quite a bit but I still ship to Australia.

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭

November 1999. Don't remember the first purchase, but it was probably an NGC Lincoln cent.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

May 10, 2002 I joined. First coin was this 1922 D for my Capitol Plastics Board set - still have it.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a December 1998 eBayer. First thing I bought was a small rock collection. Still have it!

Ahh the old days of eBay. It was more like a garage sale where you got checks etc. in the mail, waited until they cleared to mail, to affix postage to the package etc.. A lot less businesses selling so there were bargains to be found, especially if you had a fast internet connection and could snipe the auctions at the last minute, not that I ever did that! ;) A lot has changed, much for the better such as producing shipping labels but I do miss the comradery of the old days where you actually communicated a lot more than today it seems.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feb 1998, my first purchase was a boxing glove signed by Cassius clay aka Mohmmad Ali.... It was a fake! Lesson learned..

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

April 12, 1998. I am still techno-inefficient now but was much more so back then so putting together my first auction listing is more memorable than my first purchase. The rise of eBay was a significant factor in my decision to change my business model and halt my hard copy EX series & other auction catalogs after 150+ sales.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file