Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So much for eye appeal...

Chacun à son gôut, as they say. I will admit it's "interesting" and—for a PeaceDollar—unusual. I bet it looks better in hand.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/market-analysis-unusual-toning-on-1923-s-dollar

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see the TrueView.

peacockcoins

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Coloring is definitely unusual. I’m not sold on it as being a better than average strike. It looks…..pretty average 🙄

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is just ugly.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 7:41PM

Thanks for the TV link. Definitely a coin I'd not buy from pics.

ETA Image...

• Options
    wevwev Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

That looks like the illustration to "Don't Let This Happen To Your Coins!"

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i luv her! :heart:

she can be my smurfette. :):kissing_heart:

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⠤⠒⠊⠉⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠙⠒⠦⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⠔⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⠚⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⡿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⠞⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⣀⣀⡠⠤⠔⠚⠉⢀⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡴⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⢋⣉⣉⣉⣭⠿⠁⣀⡤⠔⠒⠈⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠓⠦⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡞⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠴⠶⠚⢋⣉⡉⠤⣤⡶⢖⠻⠛⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⠀⠀⠈⢷⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡞⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣠⡤⠖⠋⢉⡤⠔⢋⡥⠊⠁⢀⣀⠀⠤⠤⠤⠤⠤⠄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠒⠈⠀⢿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⡾⠋⠁⣀⠴⠚⢁⡤⠞⠓⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡇⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⠞⠁⣠⠖⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⡠⠤⠐⢶⡛⠻⣍⠉⠉⢻⠂⠀⡼⢀⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣾⠏⢁⣠⠾⢅⣀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⠤⠴⠒⣉⣁⣀⠀⠀⡀⠀⠀⡀⠈⠑⢦⣀⡠⠊⢀⠞⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⠁⣠⡟⠁⠈⢦⠈⠉⠉⠉⠁⣿⠀⠐⠁⠀⠀⠀⠉⠪⡀⢀⡀⠈⠡⡀⠀⠙⣦⡴⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⠋⠀⠑⡄⠀⠑⢄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣰⣶⣄⠀⠀⠀⠈⢿⡿⢀⡠⠓⠒⠲⢬⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣧⠀⠀⠀⢠⡿⠁⠀⠀⠀⢸⠀⠀⠈⠳⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠻⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠐⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢿⣧⡀⣰⣿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⡸⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⠤⠖⢩⡟⠀⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⡰⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⢀⣤⣶⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡴⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⡤⠤⠖⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⠁⠀⠀⠀⠈⠒⠤⠄⠤⠄⠂⠀⠀⣀⡠⠖⠉⢠⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⡆⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⠔⠚⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣾⠿⣤⣤⣄⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣤⠤⢤⢶⡚⢯⣅⠀⠀⢀⡎⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡘⢸⡇⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⢀⡴⠋⢀⠔⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠊⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣾⠟⢁⣠⠞⠁⠀⠀⠈⠣⡈⢢⡀⠀⠀⠱⡙⢦⡈⠙⠲⢤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡰⠃⣼⠃⠀⠀⠀
    ⢀⡿⠁⠀⡎⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠄⡹⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⡴⠋⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⡄⠙⠦⣄⣠⠃⠀⠙⢆⠀⠀⠉⠛⢦⣀⠜⢁⡴⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⢸⠇⠀⠸⡇⠀⠀⠀⢠⠂⢠⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣠⡄⠀⣹⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠳⡀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢷⡎⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠸⡄⠀⠀⢧⠀⠀⠀⡆⠀⡌⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⡿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡤⠚⣯⣤⠤⠔⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢦⠀⠀⠀⣸⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠹⣄⡀⠈⢧⡀⠀⠇⠀⢇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠋⠀⠀⢿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢳⣤⡶⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠉⠒⠬⣙⢦⣘⢄⠘⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠷⣤⣄⣀⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡎⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠙⠛⠷⠿⢦⣤⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣩⣭⠽⠿⢟⡟⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠦⢤⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⠤⠚⣩⠄⢲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⠂⢄⠀⠀⠀⠀⣈⡑⣆⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣎⠁⠀⠀⠅⠠⠌⢀⣀⣀⣀⠀⠀⠀⡔⠀⢃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⢄⠀⠂⠀⣰⠋⠉⠉⠉⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⠲⢤⣄⣠⡼⣏⠀⠀⠈⠳⣄⠀⠑⠀⠂⢀⡴⠛⠶⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⣰⠇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⠈⠙⢦⡀⠀⠈⠳⠦⠤⠴⠾⣇⠀⠀⠀⠉⠓⠒⢺⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡴⠛⡟⠁⠀⠀⠀⠤⠬⠗⠚⠻⠄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⠦⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⠀⠘⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣠⡾⠋⠀⡀⠀⠀⣀⣾⠟⠱⡈⢳⡄⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣇⠀⠀⢳⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠫⣒⠤⣀⠈⠙⠛⠉⠁⠀⠀⢻⠀⢹⡆⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢻⣄⠀⠀⠙⢦⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠑⣌⠑⢦⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⠀⠀⣿⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡟⢦⡀⠀⠀⠈⠓⠤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⡆⠀⢿⣆⠀⢀⣰⠏⠀⠀⣿⠃
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣷⡀⠙⠲⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠑⠒⠤⠤⣄⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⠤⠊⠀⠀⢸⣿⠉⠉⠀⠀⠀⣰⡟⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⠒⠚⠋⠙⠓⠦⢤⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣴⣿⣃⣀⣀⣀⣤⣾⠟⠀⠀
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠙⠓⠒⠶⠤⠤⠤⠤⠶⠶⠛⠋⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀

pretty sure if pcgs certified poop (coprolite), i'd buy some. rotfl

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might as well post the HA with holder images from 1madman post.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is really ugly. Hard pass on that one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just plain fugly 🤢

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technical grading wise it might be a Gem and the toning might be legit as it's just too darn ugly to be AT.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s No way, no how... Never for me. I am sure someone will give it a loving home.... However, it will not be here. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like water or chlorine damage. Someone went to the well for this one.

• Options

@lilolme said:

Thanks for these. Yet another object lesson in purchasing from photos. I'd be a buyer if the HA were the only pics I'd seen. Not at the stratospheric level that coin actually brought, but at some price.

Since so many sellers insist on presenting a grand total of two photos—one of each face—selling "on approval" (which is essentially what eBay has become) has become the online standard.

Yeah, we pay first, ostensibly; but only those who like to live dangerously do so without recourse.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

That’s what I was thinking, a bleach job that went horribly wrong.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

So how did it 'straight grade' then? Just another anomaly?

Now I've gone to the HA listing and I see there are two sets of photos. The ones with the holders make it look better.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a coin I'd be interested in just doesn't catch my eye

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options
    lowcountrycoinutlowcountrycoinut Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Actually the photo in the holder makes the coin somewhat attractive. This 1921 Peace dollar was graded MS-63 by our host.

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    lowcountrycoinutlowcountrycoinut Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I meant 1922 Peace dollar!

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options

@conrad99 said:
    So how did it 'straight grade' then? Just another anomaly?

Now I've gone to the HA listing and I see there are two sets of photos. The ones with the holders make it look better.

I have found that the HA picture with the holder is usually fairly close to what the coin looks like under normal viewing (example with a lamp light source at a convention/show). Most often if it has toning then it will actually have a little more toning than the HA photo with the holder. I can't say that I have ever seen a coin look like the HA photo without the holder and that includes silver 'white' coins.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

It's an interesting coin, and I personally think it is pretty. Not $8,000 pretty, though. I do seriously wonder where the toning came from, though.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a look that most would favor, but that's Peace dollars.

The 23-S is an incredibly difficult coin to find in nice condition. I don't think any are well-struck. At best, they're "better than average." Surfaces and luster are responsible for most of the grade. A clean, flashy coin will always do well with the graders. Maybe it's a technical 66, knocked back a bit for a strange look. I bet it's kind of pretty in-hand though.

When I had my registry set, I never really did find a 23-S that I thought was superb.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2022 6:35AM

@Broadstruck said:
    Technical grading wise it might be a Gem and the toning might be legit as it's just too darn ugly to be AT.

it isn't. i blew up the TV and she has some battle scars.

i can give you all something else to pick on. it sold for half of guide!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@conrad99 said:

Thanks for the TV link. Definitely a coin I'd not buy from pics.

ETA Image...

Definitely worth seeing in hand. Anyone have done so?

Here are the single sided TrueViews:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 7:06AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Sold for $8,700 on PCGS Price Guide price of $16,000.

The grade is very high. It's a POP 14/4 coin!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@Coinscratch said:

That’s what I was thinking, a bleach job that went horribly wrong.

I meant like it was found in a river or a wishing well and not purposely toned.
    Old silver found in rivers usually turns dark blue or black depending on many different conditions.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come PCGS will downgrade AU coins missing luster, but ignores MS coins missing luster and toned? Do you AU coins not tone, only MS?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure would like to know the history of locations that this coin has seen. That one has seen some serious climate change in the last 99 years.

At first glance it made me think a moldy blue cheese label would match it, but as I keep looking at it, I actually am starting to like the coin a bit more.

Only 4 graded higher and that is a low purchase price. Can't imagine what a restoration request resubmittal would end up like.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think if the coin was dipped to be blast white, it would upgrade to ms66 or higher?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    Do you think if the coin was dipped to be blast white, it would upgrade to ms66 or higher?

I doubt it would end up blast white and it might expose some other hidden faults. Very risky to mess with it.

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

The Heritage pics look much nicer than the PCGS pics. The PCGS pics also show lack of depth and detail. JMO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty is in the eye of the _________
    A ) Needle
    B ) Holder
    C ) Storm
    D ) Potato

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely Mr. Albanese's folks didn't care for it either. To each his own.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Sold for $8,700 on PCGS Price Guide price of $16,000.

The grade is very high. It's a POP 14/4 coin!

ya, that is a pretty sad price for a 14/4 San Fran PEACE dollar. Talk about not getting recognition. i've seen somewhat similar toning on morgans and people still don't like the splotchy toning but in the recent environment, they still have huge premiums.

perhaps with our species' history, they would do better if they were called WAR dollars? ;)

For my part, i doubt i'd pay any MAJOR premiums for any toned coins unless i knew they had been sniffed, so i could sleep knowing they'd be stable longer. Something along those lines of pcgs not guaranteeing RD copper designations.

i remember many years ago, toners started bringing MAJOR premiums and then all of a sudden the availability of toned coins across the board skyrocketed. also seen the same thing with errors but that is another conversation.

imo the real thing that held the coin back is the damage it has taken for the 65+ grade. peace dollar are one of the hardest graded coins on a curve when it comes to strike and contact marks.

ok i'm all over the board here. time for lunch.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply ugly - not for me.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 10:18AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Beauty is in the eye of the _________
    A ) Needle
    B ) Holder
    C ) Storm
    D ) Potato

The correct answer is none of the above. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is ugly. That coin is ugly. :s

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

When pricing it is generally not a good idea to just look at a price guide. To me the price guide appears to be out of date. Perhaps a white (or nicely toned) 65+ cac could sell near the price guide today or more. What happened was a cac sold for 25K at Legend in 2019 and the price guide jumped up. Then later in 2019 a non-cac sold for 14K. Then early 2020 a non-cac sold for 8K and a hazy white a the same auction sold for 3600. The guide came down some more. So what is supporting this 16K price guide. Certainly not the last several auction results. Maybe some dealer data but was that cac?

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 5:07PM

It looks better in hand, one hand holding it the other hand covering it up.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2022 4:55PM

@lilolme said:
    When pricing it is generally not a good idea to just look at a price guide. To me the price guide appears to be out of date.

thanks for doing that. it inspired me to dig a bit and i admit, "i stand corrected!"

there are some major prices for the 66 level of this date and as you mention a couple not too shabby ms65+ results.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+51&amp;Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&amp;Nty=1&amp;Ntt=1923-s+$1&amp;ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

https://legendauctions.hibid.com/auctions/past/lots/?q=$1+1923-s&amp;cat=158&amp;SortOrder=0

notable prices from HA in the past couple years:

8-21 $50k ms66
    1-22 $33.6k ms66

8-19 $14.4k ms65+

the coin from the OP

8-21 $4.3k (no plus)
    6-22 $8.7k (plus)

so the blue coin technically did good since it not only upgraded but doubled in price.

my guess for the LM monster price for the 65+ was probably an upgrade lock?

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC

I think the Legend one in 2019 was a CAC thing, but could have been some upgrade lookers.

The cert is still active so it was either not regraded (cert would be deactivated on regraded) and only reconsidered or cracked out an cert not turned in or not tried at all.

It sold at Legend previously as a 65 (no plus) cac ogh and then returned shortly thereafter as a plus for a big win for the submitter and upgrade.

Legend auction as 65 5/16/2019 $6169.
    Note a big price for a 65 and only 4 cac in auction prices 6169, 3600, 7931, 5875. So it looks like cac sell high.
    https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/50797628/-1-1923-s-pcgs-ms65-cac/

Legend auction as 65+ 9/26/2019. $25,850
    https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/55602871/-1-1923-s-pcgs-ms65--cac/

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure she has a good personality

• Options

@lilolme said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC

I think the Legend one in 2019 was a CAC thing, but could have been some upgrade lookers.

ya. green on green and a decent looking coin in a tough grade. good call.

• Options

This one's on eBay for only $29!

Less desirable date though :p

• Options
    tttwotttwo Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

I can add a little provenance on the coin in the OP. I thought it looked familiar and finally got back home to check the source I thought I had recently noticed it in. This coin is in the auction catalog for the December 13, 2012 Legend-Morphy Las Vegas Rare Coin Auctions. The photos show the exact toning pattern, obverse and reverse, although the catalog photos are a little darker. I'll transcribe the description below:

217 - $1 1923-S NGC MS65.
    This is an "old friend" to our associates at Legend Numismatics. Way back in 1989 this coin was purchased by them for a whopping $15,000 to complete a major Peace Set that sold, at the time, for a record $250,000! For a 23-S, it has amazing luster. The luster shows off spectacular ORIGINAL, but slight irregular shades of blue/deep gold/purple/violet colors that are all over. You can easily see beneath the colors. There are a few light lines and a couple of ticks, all hidden by the toning. Most important, Miss Liberty and the details are very well struck. This coin will bring much pride to its next owner. Good luck!
    (PCGS# 7362) EST. 3,500.00 - 4,000.00

So it has gone from NGC 65 in 2012, to PCGS 65 by 2021, to PCGS 65+ by 2022. How long til it reaches 66?

By the way, I am new here and this is my initial post. I am an Ike minor varieties collector (I hear those sighs and eye rolls), so at least I won't be competing with many of you for choice coins you collect. I also won't be posting "Do I have a ..." questions, I have been studying Ike varieties for several years and have read and digested all the sources I can find. No parking lot finds from me (and when was the last time you found an Ike in a parking lot?)

• Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file