Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

(Outside of my budget) This Lowball Steel cent is Cool!

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the challenge is for some knucklehead to send in another one? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price is hilarious!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2022 6:27PM

Congratulations to the owner but my first thought was.... There's much to much meat on that bone for a P01! You would barely need to see the date and MM to tell it's a 43 steel cent.

If you had posted this coin here raw, why do I think everyone would say PMD. I'd just like to know how any TPG'er knows it's a true P01 and that it hasn't been intentionally manipulated or altered?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know low ball coins have their following - and a strong one. I am not attracted to them, but do enjoy seeing some of these coins. Like errors, fun to see, but I do not collect them. Thanks for showing that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Nice cameo

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NGC price guide value of the cent is a WHOPPING $0.05. IF THIS IS OUTSIDE OF SOMEONES BUDGET- THE BUDGET MUST 1 CENT.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it - obviously looks sanded - All they do now is have to AT it for some higher bids.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

take off a couple zero's and still out of my range

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take off three '0's and it'll still be $24.95 overpriced.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this on eBay a while ago. Imagine what it's been through! Steel's really hard to wear down. I don't think the price is reasonable, but it's probably the hardest low-ball to obtain, so I think there are a few of people who would pay several hundred for it.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this steelie! Wow…not sure I’ve ever seen a P1. If the price wasn’t 25K too high, I’d be all over it.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2022 8:22PM

Lowest grades reported in CoinFacts for 1943 Steel Cents

ONE (43-P) in AG3 in PCGS plastic.
    Four (43-D) VF30...
    One (43-S) VF25...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d see them all the time when I was a kid. Just think if I only knew then what I know now.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Undergraded. Looks FA2 to me.

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

I would agree with your 2 but I'd consider the P01 in this situation, over graded. This P01 coin I believe would be worth much more then the same coin certified FA2.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Connecticoin said:

I would agree with your 2 but I'd consider the P01 in this situation, over graded. This P01 coin I believe would be worth much more then the same coin certified FA2.

Oh sure. In lowball land, undergraded coins are bad!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

The advice I see here so very often is you should stretch for the coins that you will have a limited opportunity to buy. It seems to me that this coin is one you should stretch for. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2022 9:23PM

Well, it looks like it's the only one. For NGC anyway.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    I don't get it - obviously looks sanded - All they do now is have to AT it for some higher bids.

That was my first thought. Sandpaper it to wear it down and then carry it awhile with normal pocket change to give it some natural wear and color. Hard pass on that one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand if people want to collect PO1 coins, but can not understand why they would pay so much for them. Crazy world. Off to make a few thousand poor 1 coins. I'll be mega rich by next week LOL.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Dave99B said:
    Love this steelie! Wow…not sure I’ve ever seen a P1. If the price wasn’t 25K too high, I’d be all over it.

Dave

That price is way off base!

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    I can understand if people want to collect PO1 coins, but can not understand why they would pay so much for them. Crazy world. Off to make a few thousand poor 1 coins. I'll be mega rich by next week LOL.

I believe true P01's are somewhat rare and not easy to find.

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Waste of grading fees :'(

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ebay listing "doesn't make cents", but it could make a lot of dollars for the seller! Just need to find someone with no sense...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

I have a few in better shape I could let go for a lot.................Les LOL

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always remove metal from a coin, but can't put it back on.

Since the price of these lowball coins has skyrocketed, It seems that the number of "unusually" worn coins showing up in slabs is increasing. I have absolutely no data or insight to support this, but something smells fishy.

I have been looking at all my change every day for decades, but have yet to see a clad coin approaching G4. I would expect the CRH people support this, yet there is a slabbed PO-01clad Kennedy half floating around. Natural circulation?? Can anybody, with a straight face say that this steel cent exhibits natural circulation??

I have no issues with people who like to collect lowballs. I'm sure there are things I collect that others would find boring. However, when there is money to be made, and manipulating the system is reasonably possible, somebody is going to take advantage of it.

Just my thoughts

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

Since the price of these lowball coins has skyrocketed, It seems that the number of "unusually" worn coins showing up in slabs is increasing. I have absolutely no data or insight to support this, but something smells fishy.

I have been looking at all my change every day for decades, but have yet to see a clad coin approaching G4. I would expect the CRH people support this, yet there is a slabbed PO-01clad Kennedy half floating around. Natural circulation?? Can anybody, with a straight face say that this steel cent exhibits natural circulation??

Just my thoughts

:p

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

I have no issues with people who like to collect lowballs. I'm sure there are things I collect that others would find boring. However, when there is money to be made, and manipulating the system is reasonably possible, somebody is going to take advantage of it.

Just my thoughts

Just as with toning if there is a buck to be made from meeting demand someone will make it, one way or another.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Oldhoopster said:

Just my thoughts

:p

Thanks @braddick . Do you know if that's 90% or clad?

How can it naturally wear in circulation to look like that? Rims are completely gone but the portrait still has a lot of raised area. Think about AG barbers.
    Oh, and Kennedy halves are such workhorse coins in commerce.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2022 4:49PM

@braddick said:

>

Can we see the entire slab?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file