Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fairmont Collection: JBR Set

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Fairmont Collection is turning into the gift that keeps on giving.

It will be interesting to see how this sale does compared to Hendricks with economic conditions quite different today.

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will make a guess that it does very well and many records will be set. A well known gold dealer put up some coins earlier this week and within the day almost $400,000 worth of $15,000-$100,000 coins sold. The economic conditions don't seem to be slowing down this end of the market. Many of these will be top pop coins and will sell for double and triple current guides.

I hope I am wrong because there will be a couple I have interest in. The Virginian sale of Classic Heads coins will also set some records this August. So many great coins coming to market.

• Options

I think the well known dealers current sale is on the lethargic side compared to previous sales. He still has a lot of high priced coins available. In all fairness to him a lot of the coins he is selling are high priced condition rarities including gold dollars which probably caters to a limited number of collectors.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    I think the well known dealers current sale is on the lethargic side compared to previous sales. He still has a lot of high priced coins available. In all fairness to him a lot of the coins he is selling are high priced condition rarities including gold dollars which probably caters to a limited number of collectors.

@skier07 said:

I’ll have to check again today but the CAC coinage was doing really well. The non-CAC higher priced coins were remaining.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how this sale does compared to Hendricks with economic conditions quite different today.

The sale will do just fine - the folks who can afford these Gold coins don't worry about a few extra dollars for gas or groceries.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

When will this hoard end?!? If I was a buyer of one of the new top pops or low pop CAC coins and now another dump comes on to market. I’d be pissed. And if I was thinking of participating in this sale I’d be hesitant because who’s to say in a couple months they won’t drop another load.

• Options

@Crusty said:
    When will this hoard end?!? If I was a buyer of one of the new top pops or low pop CAC coins and now another dump comes on to market. I’d be pissed. And if I was thinking of participating in this sale I’d be hesitant because who’s to say in a couple months they won’t drop another load.

+1

I feel the same way. I’m reluctant to buy into a market with prices at record highs and another possible dump down the road.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing that could affect the outcome of this sale is the crypto crash. There are now fewer millionaires from that pool which has been a significant money supply into the higher end of the coin market for a few years. Still I expect that these coins will do very well, as another member noted the high inflation factors that are crushing the lower income brackets do not affect those who can buy these coins.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of underbidders from the past sales still need coins.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2022 11:15AM

Excited to take a shot at a couple of these. Gotta wonder though how many more coins are in the pipeline. This is 500+ coins, practically full date/mm sets. Hendricks was the same. So how many more of these sets are waiting in the wings? Why is the origin of these coins so secret?

• Options

@Pedzola said:
    Excited to take a shot at a couple of these. Gotta wonder though how many more coins are in the pipeline. This is 500+ coins, practically full date/mm sets. Hendricks was the same. So how many more of these sets are waiting in the wings? Why is the origin of these coins so secret?

I have wondered the same thing. Each new set is better than the one before it. It’s been great for the hobby so far. When will that end?

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 885 ✭✭✭✭

I have pulled back from the Heritage Long Beach auction just a tad with this auction announcement.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these new items from the hoard or just previously graded stuff that was bought earlier being put up?

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 4 coins from Hendricks sale and didn't get any of them cheap so I suppose I should be annoyed. But the collector in me is already trying to figure out whether I can snag a couple more from the JBR subset. Probably won't though, given the timing.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crusty said:

I have made a point of avoiding top pop coins, because invariably, more coins get made, and the premium you paid for such coin(s) gets flushed down the toilet. Before most of us were born, this happened with the hoard of 03 O Morgan Dollars. Then the 1859 O and 1860 O Seated Dollars. Etc. Repeat.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

The sale will do just fine - the folks who can afford these Gold coins don't worry about a few extra dollars for gas or groceries.

So they didn't make their money in crypto, vacation RE, LBOs or growth stocks, then

• Options

@Crusty said:

As someone who has and still collects in a series 'impacted' by Fairmont, unless you were collecting Condition Census pieces, I remain unconvinced that Fairmont is a negative. Who knows, it might even have helped coins a level down in collector grades. But since I haven't been selling, I don't honestly know.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be waiting eagerly to see the “second tier” Fairmont offerings that accompany this sale. Hoping for some nice XF and VF examples of the better dates to go for.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like gold coins and have many. However, I do not collect in this rarified level. I will watch though, it will likely get quite interesting in some of the auctions. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:

@Crusty said:

As someone who has and still collects in a series 'impacted' by Fairmont, unless you were collecting Condition Census pieces, I remain unconvinced that Fairmont is a negative. Who knows, it might even have helped coins a level down in collector grades. But since I haven't been selling, I don't honestly know.

As a casual gold coin collector the Fairmont hoard has helped to deepen my appreciation for crusty, original coins, and I am probably more likely to collect in this area because of it. I imagine the SS Central America coins had a similar effect on the market for early S-mint gold years ago.

Like others, I am super curious about the origin, the ownership, and the depth of the hoard. Four years in, and it remains shrouded in mystery. Stacks seems to have done a brilliant job of marketing and pacing the sales. If there are "mini-hoards" of scarce condition-census coins remaining, I am sure they will be released to market very deliberately over time, so no one has time to panic until it's already too late! :D

• Options

Someone should (will?) write a book on this hoard. It would sell well, it's a three-foot hurdle. Such a thing probably won't appear until after the juice has been squeezed though.

• Options

@Bigtree said:

As a casual gold coin collector

This is how it starts ;)

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:

@Bigtree said:

As a casual gold coin collector

This is how it starts ;)

So I hear :D
  • Options
    SCTSCT Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

I will be participating. I have acquired 7 so far. I am not buying the ultra rarities so I'm not particularly concerned about supply. I am trying to take this opportunity (however long it may last) to add attractive original examples to my collection whether for my type set or side project(s) :)

Gold Collecting Journey

Phase I: I want to pursue the Classic Type Set
    Phase II: I should expand this to include Early gold
    Phase III: I really like PL double eagles. Let's do a box of 20.
    Phase IV: Classic Head eagles are cool and seem undervalued...maybe I should start a set.
    Phase V: Circulated proof gold from the Fairmont Collection how sweet...can't hurt to add a couple!

So basically I buy whatever pleases me and hopefully it fills a slot...lol.

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SCT Congratulations on your 7 Fairmont coins! I like the idea of a Box of 20 PL double eagles. It would be a real challenge to do it with different dates/mints since about half of those designated PL are dated 1904, but with enough time/patience it can be done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file