Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So what is the allure of collecting coins after the acquisition?

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

You collect a set or many sets, but what do you do with the ones you like the most?

I would like to display them like I display my 1/24 scale Carrera slot cars, I have a number of display cases for them. Here is just a small sampling…

Some cost as much as an ounce of gold or even more. Most cost a bit more than a new Silver Eagle proof. I have rotary tables in some cases that display really nice cars. Unless a thief knew what he was looking for he would just pass over these cars.

But when it comes to my coins, if I left my really nice slabbed coins out, even someone that doesn’t know coins would know to take what ever they saw, stick them in a bag and run off.

So, what do you do to enhance the collecting experience? How do you enjoy them after the purchase and logged into your “inventory” tracking system?

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    High end photographs of every coin and a large computer screen.

A numbering system that allows you to find any image in seconds.

I completely agree. My only issue is the numbering system has not came about as of yet.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I completely agree. My only issue is the numbering system has not came about as of yet.
    Jim

In my case it’s Capped Bust Halves…so the numbering system is already established….Mr Overton took care of that long ago…

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 11:37AM

Easiest numbering system is an individual SKU# on each coin as they come in. Store in order by SKU number for easy access.

If all you coins are on a digital platform like a website or ebay, then you can sort by denomination, year, etc in order to group your coins.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    I hided them in VERY unlikely places 😉 underneath my outdoor potted giant fan palms or by the concrete fog by poolside foliages.

If it was me it would be “hid” them underneath……

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 1:09PM

@Herb_T said:

@Paradisefound said:
    I hided them in VERY unlikely places 😉 underneath my outdoor potted giant fan palms or by the concrete fog by poolside foliages.

If it was me it would be “hid” them underneath……

"HIC" :p

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

Are your coins protected from lava?

• Options
    JMoo100JMoo100 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Also not protected from leprechauns @Paradisefound

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than stock investments which are not tangible. Share with high end collectors from time to time.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a SDB and they do everything but take a blood sample to let me in.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

And now we know to bring a shovel... ;)

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    A lot of my friends know what I collect, but, they are also coin people that know how it works, they know not to talk. It’s never been a problem for me. Besides the coins are secure anyway.

Even if the coins are secure, a potential thief may not know that and break in anyway looking for them, possibly tearing the house apart in the process.

Why even invite that?

• Options

@pruebas said:

@asheland said:
    A lot of my friends know what I collect, but, they are also coin people that know how it works, they know not to talk. It’s never been a problem for me. Besides the coins are secure anyway.

Even if the coins are secure, a potential thief may not know that and break in anyway looking for them, possibly tearing the house apart in the process.

Why even invite that?

You fill a small safe with bricks and some pocket change and leave it in an obvious place for the thieves to run off with.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    @Herb_T , believe it or not, the Elliot Museum in Stuart Florida has a truly unbelievable exhibit of over 50 actual real Classic Cars in a three level “Automat-Type” display. Each car is assigned a code, and you plug that code into the keyboard, and the computer then moves where that car is to to come down right in front of you. Here’s their website info on this permanent exhibit:

PERMANENT EXHIBIT

Visitors will learn how development of commercial and personal transportation had an impact on people’s lives and America’s culture in a dramatic fashion. These are “everyman” vehicles, once owned and cherished by small business owners and municipalities as they looked to create a more professional presence for themselves and expand their own reach. Our three-level car racking system holds over fifty vehicles, and is the only one of its kind in an American museum. Visitors watch as vehicles come down on a robotic tray and rotate on a turntable.

Here’s a hotlink to the cars in the exhibit. Once you get to where the hotlink takes you, click on the “View/Download AUTO Collection”.

https://hsmc-fl.com/elliott-museum/#displaylist

Based on your collection, I suggest it will be well worth the money and your time to actually see this exhibit in person!

Steve

If going to a auto museum, then the National Auto Museum is a good one.

https://automuseum.org

https://automuseum.org/vehicle-inventory/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@Herb_T
    So, what do you do to enhance the collecting experience? How do you enjoy them after the purchase

Reading through so far it reads like it is mostly not done.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    How do you enjoy them after the purchase and logged into your “inventory” tracking system?

Its called a large safe and Insurance. Then play with them whenever you want.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:
    @Herb_T
    So, what do you do to enhance the collecting experience? How do you enjoy them after the purchase

I start the upgrade. I enjoy my coins, do the best I can with security and then relax and enjoy. I’m thinking it’s part of collect what you like, enjoy what you collect.
    Life is too short for a hobby that gives you ulcers and you worry about losing it. 😉🦫🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cataloguing, researching, studying, photographing, sharing images here and with my coin geek friends. B)

Occasionally showing images to family, just so they can look at me a little cross-eyed! :D:p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2022 4:39PM

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Cataloguing, researching, studying, photographing, sharing images here and with my coin geek friends. B)

Occasionally showing images to family, just so they can look at me a little cross-eyed! :D:p

Agreed. I have found the only exception to the rules is when I place a magnificent ase or morgan or peace, in hand. There’s magic in a big old hunk of silver. ( I shall someday have a big ole gold coin and will enjoy the reaction). 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@Herb_T said:

@lilolme said:
    @Herb_T

Good question….the pursuit is enjoyable to me. But what do you do afterwards is still the question. It’s almost the same as when I built my 60 Corvette. When I got done I said never again right up until I started a 63 Corvette Split Window…here is my ‘60 sitting on the turntable at the Summit Racing store during the month of December.

That is pretty cool. Do you do the points grading thing. I had a work friend years ago that restored a vette and was doing it with the thought of doing shows where they grade (points) the cars. He found out that some bolts he had used were not correct (something that it visible perhaps the head or metal color don't recall). He went back and pulled parts out to get to the bolts to remove and replace. As I recall when he went to a show and had it graded it was high 90's point. I think I remember that correctly. Been a few years.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what exhibiting is for. I've got a wall full of plaques I've been awarded for showing off my collection at the ANA, FUN, and numerous State and Local shows. (That's not counting the Gold and Silver coins I've received as part of the awards).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scrooge McDuck! :#

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have security, I keep my coins available. I do not worry. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@lilolme said:

@Herb_T said:

@lilolme said:
    @Herb_T

Good question….the pursuit is enjoyable to me. But what do you do afterwards is still the question. It’s almost the same as when I built my 60 Corvette. When I got done I said never again right up until I started a 63 Corvette Split Window…here is my ‘60 sitting on the turntable at the Summit Racing store during the month of December.

That is pretty cool. Do you do the points grading thing. I had a work friend years ago that restored a vette and was doing it with the thought of doing shows where they grade (points) the cars. He found out that some bolts he had used were not correct (something that it visible perhaps the head or metal color don't recall). He went back and pulled parts out to get to the bolts to remove and replace. As I recall when he went to a show and had it graded it was high 90's point. I think I remember that correctly. Been a few years.

I build hot rods, he restores cars….we are polar opposites!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

My expensive coins are in a SDB. I have some coin albums and they are on the bookshelf. I have the big periodic table of coins poster from PCGS on my wall.

I don’t worry about it too much. Odds are overall in my favor but if something gets stolen it will hurt but it’s just a thing in the end. It’s not as important as my family and I won’t be taking it with me.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2022 8:12AM

@Herb_T said:
    You collect a set or many sets, but what do you do with the ones you like the most?

I would like to display them like I display my 1/24 scale Carrera slot cars, I have a number of display cases for them. Here is just a small sampling…

That's a great collection! How many do you have?

The best thing I like about cars is holding them so I'm not sure I could put them in plastic boxes! Or at least I need to have cheap versions for tactile feedback!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Agree these are important priorities!

My high end photos are TrueViews and my search system is posting on the forums :)

But as much as I love photos, I find holding coins in hand to be an amazing experience, especially with luster and high relief coins... am I allowed to call a die cap "high relief" ;)

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Go Scrooge McDuck?
    https://youtu.be/J5DajhNjSJE

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another part I like is sharing/selling them to other collectors.............

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@habaraca said:
    Another part I like is sharing/selling them to other collectors.............

That's what I'm talkin about..😅

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Herb_T said:

That's a great collection! How many do you have?

The best thing I like about cars is holding them so I'm not sure I could put them in plastic boxes! Or at least I need to have cheap versions for tactile feedback!

I have those that I track and those that wont be raced. I have more than 200. I am current with all, including only those available in Germany, Austria or Switzerland, Corvettes and Ford GTs. Then I have a number of Ferraris and then a bunch of others.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

This is how I assembled my collection which consists all of the 13 Lib. Nickels, 94-S dime 1804 Dollar. Just copy the photos of said coins and pull up when you wish to enjoy them. :D Even if you owned these they would most likely reside in a SDB anyways. So the photos are just as good. Safer too.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Scrooge McDuck! :#

Yes?

Did you want me?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file