Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quite disappointed in my consignment prices realized in tonight's GC auction

LuxorLuxor Posts: 424 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep hearing how strong this current market is, and routinely see mediocre quality generic junk on GC and Heritage bringing silly prices week after week so I decided to test the waters and consign a few generic coins to GC which sold tonight. I consigned a generic but nice quality PCGS MS65 common date Saint, an attractive rim toned generic Morgan in NGC 66 black retro holder and other stuff, and was not happy at all with what they sold for compared to what I've recently seen similar and lesser quality coins sell for. At least I was happy it was a small consignment with none of my better pieces included. Perhaps it was the holiday weekend, perhaps I have a bad eye and my coins are actually low end, or maybe the market isn't that strong after all, or maybe just bad luck? In any case, I've tested the waters and do not see myself consigning any further Saints or dollars to GC in the near future as I previously had planned. :/

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2022 9:24PM

"an attractive rim toned generic Morgan in NGC 66 black retro holder"

I think I saw that, and I thought it was going a bit low (maybe $30 under sheet bid, when factoring in buyers premium -- of course meaning that a net to the cosigner was significantly back of bid). I choose not to bid due to the reverse not doing it for me, and I was thinking it might be a tough bit for others as well. The obverse was all there tho. I did not see what it hammered for. I guess I could go look it up.

If this was the MS 66 coin, it went for $281 hammer, $6 over sheet. Or $40 over sheet when you add in shipping and hammer fees. So...pretty strong for the house. And pretty strong for the cosigner, too. If you were the AU 58 CAC coin, then that went right at sheet....

For perspective, I picked up a 66 CAC for the same price....slightly better date tho. So I'd think your result on that coin was pretty good.

So maybe you win some, lose some?

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins that I bid on tonight went very high. One went for a record price.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2022 10:04PM

@Luxor said:
    I keep hearing how strong this current market is, and routinely see mediocre quality generic junk on GC and Heritage bringing silly prices week after week so I decided to test the waters and consign a few generic coins to GC which sold tonight. I consigned a generic but nice quality PCGS MS65 common date Saint, an attractive rim toned generic Morgan in NGC 66 black retro holder and other stuff, and was not happy at all with what they sold for compared to what I've recently seen similar and lesser quality coins sell for. At least I was happy it was a small consignment with none of my better pieces included. Perhaps it was the holiday weekend, perhaps I have a bad eye and my coins are actually low end, or maybe the market isn't that strong after all, or maybe just bad luck? In any case, I've tested the waters and do not see myself consigning any further Saints or dollars to GC in the near future as I previously had planned. :/

Check out these strong prices tonight for some amazing Buffalos with older holders. Don’t understand why you think you didn’t get the correct prices. 1938D rattler gold sticker, gorgeous

$432 with BP.
    1913 MS 66 NGC OH green sticker
    $630 with BP

Beautiful coins especially in older holder super strong.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it comes down to luck. If nobody in particular is bidding on a lot number. Generic coins can get overlooked. I haven't done any auctions for a long long time. When I did I had the lots I wanted in mind and did not pay much attention to anything else.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@Luxor said:

Check out these strong prices tonight for some amazing Buffalos with older holders. Don’t understand why you think you didn’t get the correct prices. 1938D rattler gold sticker, gorgeous

I'm confused. How are some Buffalos with apparently strong prices related to the different coins the OP consigned?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Davideo said:

@Joey29 said:

@Luxor said:

I'm confused. How are some Buffalos with apparently strong prices related to the different coins the OP consigned?

They’re not.😉

They are not, of course, but GC has its own devotees here and they are defending their religion.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2022 4:25AM

@PerryHall said:

@Luxor said:
    Here's a pic of the Saint that I will net somewhere around 2100.00 on.

If you put that coin on the BST, I would have paid a lot more than $2100 and I don't issue 1099's ;)

Neither does GC... not that taxability is affected by the 1099.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Collections can be a good place to sell but it is only one of several alternatives. If I look at what my collection consists of and was selling, GC might be the choice for certain items but absolutely not for most of the rest of things. That's what I've done on three occasions during the past 2-3 years, selling generic "widgets" and coins from commonly collected series' at GC. The results were mixed but the final prices for each consignment was close to my estimate.

JMHO, but making a choice to sell based on the results of previous auctions probably isn't a good approach.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    Great Collections can be a good place to sell but it is only one of several alternatives. If I look at what my collection consists of and was selling, GC might be the choice for certain items but absolutely not for most of the rest of things. That's what I've done on three occasions during the past 2-3 years, selling generic "widgets" and coins from commonly collected series' at GC. The results were mixed but the final prices for each consignment was close to my estimate.

JMHO, but making a choice to sell based on the results of previous auctions probably isn't a good approach.

It would be hard to make a choice based on future auctions.

I think past results are definitely relevant. People look at auction archives for a reason.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holiday weekend?? Stocks/crypto/precious metals down??

Like others, would like to see the specifics of the other coins.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor The lack of a CAC sticker certainly didn’t help your cause. Did you send them in?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auctions can be good or bad. I have seen auction items sell for ridiculous prices - much higher than justified. Conversely, I have purchased items worth far more than the hammer price. Much depends on the items, the audience, or the particular venue. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying is easy, selling not always.
    In the future, you can set minimum prices on GC and if they don't sell , adjust prices down or just have them send the coins back to you to try other avenues of selling

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just completed a 30 coin outing with GC. And guess what, the coins I thought would be stellar were not, but many coins I was worried about did. So go figure. I will be using Ian again later this summer.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another thing I have noticed, when folks sell on ebay they tell the sell price with the fees to be deducted, but when they talk of GC its just the net price they realized. Compare oranges to oranges. I do think the market is not completely high now, but up and down to some extent. Don't compare your MS66 coin to another's MS66 with a gold CAC sticker, as there will be a price difference most likely.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a pretty nickel.

looks like the double eagle sold for less than it did in feb 2022 via HA.

here are the comps at GC. a lot of variation in holder type/gen/tpg.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual I will offer my opinion and don't take it as fact.
    I'm guessing that the saint sold for around $2,300. That coin looked OK and I'm wondering if CAC saw it. It would have been a good idea to submit it. Also, closing on a holiday weekend might not have been a good decision.

In the old days 20+ years ago a gem saint would have been a dream coin for me. Now not so much. I believe there are enough buyers of MS65 saints to cause a first time buyer to reach for it but not so much in the last 30-60 days. Buyers have FOMO on those as spot gold is rocketing higher. FOMO buyers have a delicate psychology. Gold gets soft and it affects their brain in strange ways. I'm thinking you were possibly disappointed because of your net results and timing had a lot to do with it.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@pmh1nic said:

@Luxor said:

I agree with PerryHall, that coin deserved much better than $2100. I think some coins get passed over because other potential buyers believe the coin is going to go much higher and decide not to bid. The go back to the auction after it closes and kick themself in the butt for not bidding when the see the low price the coin went for. That coin was a bargain at $2100 in my opinion.

The OP said that he would “net somewhere around 2100.00”. That indicates to me that the coin sold for more than that to the winning bidder.

@MFeld said:

@pmh1nic said:

@Luxor said:

I agree with PerryHall, that coin deserved much better than $2100. I think some coins get passed over because other potential buyers believe the coin is going to go much higher and decide not to bid. The go back to the auction after it closes and kick themself in the butt for not bidding when the see the low price the coin went for. That coin was a bargain at $2100 in my opinion.

The OP said that he would “net somewhere around 2100.00”. That indicates to me that the coin sold for more than that to the winning bidder.

PCGS price for that coin is $3150. Would the $2100 net to the seller reflect a coin that went for over $3000?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If you put that coin on the BST, I would have paid a lot more than $2100 and I don't issue 1099's ;)

The 1099 thing is only a selling point for people who are intending on cheating on their taxes. Are there that many collectors like that, where it would be beneficial to let them know?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Luxor said:

They don't issue 1099's either. Unless something has changed recently.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly sure why you would be “quite disappointed”. Quick search of an online dealer referenced here and that I have used shows ms65 coins at $2550ish. So if I am buying on GC, I would likely be trying to pick up a coin like this for $2300-$2500. Seems to,me that the final price is in that range.

I also think you had some bad luck. I know on the east coast, weather was phenomenal. Many people were out doing other things and at holiday gatherings. I know I missed bidding on a number of items I was interested in. The day was so great, that everything else took second place.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@PerryHall said:

The 1099 thing is only a selling point for people who are intending on cheating on their taxes. Are there that many collectors like that, where it would be beneficial to let them know?

Did you see my winky emoji? I just wanted to see how many forum members would lecture me on paying taxes. I'm a collector and only buy coins and I never sell them. Also, I pay all my taxes. How many coin dealers report every small cash transaction they conduct?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@PerryHall said:

My personal opinion: hogwash

You buy a coin for $2,000 you sell it for $2,000. A 1099 shows $2,000 in income and then you have to file as though you were running a side business. A lot of people don't want to deal with that and it doesn't label them as a crooked non filer. It labels them as just a non filer. I wish anonymous internet posters would pass on judging people they don't know. To me, labeling people as no exceptions tax cheats is poor form. Those people better live in a glass house. But since it's just the internet, accusing other people of being tax cheats, it's takes the eyes off you.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    Did you see my winky emoji? I just wanted to see how many forum members would lecture me on paying taxes.

Yes, I saw it but I don't see a lecture about you paying your taxes. I can't answer for anyone else, but my comment was directed at those who might be thinking about cheating. Since you said you pay yours, that would mean it wasn't intended for you.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2022 8:15AM

@streeter said:
    But since it's just the internet, accusing other people of being tax cheats, it's takes the eyes off you.

My comment:

"The 1099 thing is only a selling point for people who are intending on cheating on their taxes."

People who are intending on cheating on their taxes ARE tax cheats.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@MasonG said:

@PerryHall said:

Did you see my winky emoji? I just wanted to see how many forum members would lecture me on paying taxes. I'm a collector and only buy coins and I never sell them. Also, I pay all my taxes. How many coin dealers report every small cash transaction they conduct?

Most of the ones I deal with.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching/bidding on several Gold CAC’s and an NGC 2.1 Morgan. I thought the Gold CAC’s did quite well but the 2.1 went a bit lower than expected.

Tim

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 8:39AM

The breast and knee sure look flat and laden with friction. Maybe most buyers saw it as over-graded.

On another note, unless they have unusual eye appeal, toning, PL fields, are top pop or have some sort of special plastic/sticker, I do not recommend selling generics at auction. You will almost always come out better selling it yourself. That’s true for every auction venue including well recognized/established ones like GC.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@streeter said:
    But since it's just the internet, accusing other people of being tax cheats, it's takes the eyes off you.

My comment:

"The 1099 thing is only a selling point for people who are intending on cheating on their taxes."

People who are intending on cheating on their taxes ARE tax cheats.

Maybe he’s selling for a loss and doesn’t want to go through the paper work to show the loss. There is no tax on capital losses, and collectors can only write off loses if they qualify as investors which few collectors bother with as it is an invitation for audit. It may be an issue of not wanting to complicate his filings rather than tax evasion per se.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    Maybe he’s selling for a loss and doesn’t want to go through the paper work to show the loss.

Who actually wants to do paper work? Probably nobody.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@Luxor said:

Neither does GC... not that taxability is affected by the 1099.

Who is required to provide a 1099? A collector or just dealers? FWIW, the reason that you don't get one from GC or HA is because they are giving you your money and not theirs.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I understand...

You bought the Saint for $2,520 from Heritage in February in one of their weekly Internet auctions and resold it for $2,396 (with buyer's premium) 3 months later. What could your expectations have been??? The "make offer to owner of $3780 or higher"?

Greysheet is $2,220 for nonCAC. There were five sales of comps in April between $2,400 and $2,751.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file