Home U.S. Coin Forum

2.5 dollar coins: 1908, 1861

KarociaKarocia Posts: 10
edited March 13, 2022 12:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask about 2.5 dollar coin, it is original?

Thank you

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real struck from clashed dies.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Karocia .... Welcome aboard. Looks authentic.... Great pictures. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

The close-up aspect of the photos is great, but the color isn’t, unless the coin really is that color.

The piece looks genuine to me, but it has so much wear that it does not have much collector or numismatic value left. The multiple fine lines tell me that the coin has been cleaned or rubbed. The value is tied to melt, which has been up and down like a yo-yo.

The sharpness grade is Very Fine. These coins grade differently because the fields are the highest part of the design.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The close-up aspect of the photos is great, but the color isn’t, unless the coin really is that color.

The piece looks genuine to me, but it has so much wear that it does not have much collector or numismatic value left. The multiple fine lines tell me that the coin has been cleaned or rubbed. The value is tied to melt, which has been up and down like a yo-yo.

The sharpness grade is Very Fine. These coins grade differently because the fields are the highest part of the design.

This coin is worth a lot more than melt, and appears to be more like AU to me. The color is because of his lighting/pictures technique, and I would guess it would straight grade too. The extreme closeups and harsh lighting gives it a cleaned look in a few pictures, but it looks ok in the first two pics.

@jwitten said:

@BillJones said:

This coin is worth a lot more than melt, and appears to be more like AU to me. The color is because of his lighting/pictures technique, and I would guess it would straight grade too. The extreme closeups and harsh lighting gives it a cleaned look in a few pictures, but it looks ok in the first two pics.

Agree with it straight grading at AU50 or possibly XF45 depending on how much luster is remaining. The 1908 quarter eagle is tricky to grade since the mint used reverse dies that lacked feather detail on the upper part of the wing which gives the appearance of wear. This design defect was corrected in subsequent years.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was genuine, but I'm going to stop there. I've never seen a 1908 quarter Eagle with that much wear, so I'll defer to the experts...

Cool first post! And welcome aboard!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Karocia
    Welcome aboard.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• I am really surprised for a lot of attention for my first post, thanks.

The photos were taken using cheap surface microscope, so color differs from reality. The real color looks same as other .900 gold coins, including 5 dollar Liberty head coin.
    Yes, the coin is highly wear, mostly eagle's wings. The most important thing for me is authenticity, as I saw a lot of info of this type counterfeiting, and I see that is almost impossible to determine authenticity for not skilled person...

I see that the 2.5 and 5 dollar Indian head type coins are one of the most beautiful gold coins of the World, so 2.5 was the first purchased, I am little bit fear to purchase $5, for high probability of counterfeit.

• I see the strange marks under the Indian cheeks at my coin, like some wrinkles of old man:

I haven't seen it anywhere, but now I found the same in the forum (post No 4919, first coin):
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1066469/gold-2-50-quarter-eagle-thread/p2

I think the same dies used to struck.

@Karocia said:
    I see the strange marks under the Indian cheeks at my coin, like some wrinkles of old man:

I haven't seen it anywhere, but now I found the same in the forum (post No 4919, first coin):
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1066469/gold-2-50-quarter-eagle-thread/p2

I think the same dies used to struck.

That's a result of a die clash where the two dies came together without a planchet between them and each die imparted part of its design on the other die.

edited March 10, 2022 3:56PM

One of the main/first points of wear on the obverse is the Indian head band. Not the z zigzag line, but the little dotted lines running the length of the head was. Those are one of the first places to show wear... a VF coin would not have the details this one does. The reverse wing is just so hard to grade this one, being a 1908. I still say xf at worse, possible au.

@BillJones said:
    Here is a 1908 quarter eagle in MS-64. You can see how much of the wing detail in missing on the OP coin. The missing detail on the 1908 quarter eagle is limited to upper portion of the wing. It does not go down the wing. That's why I am grading OP VF. Remember that the design details are below surface of the coin and protected.

That's why I am grading OP VF. Remember that the design details are below surface of the coin and protected. I saw one of these coins that was graded VG many years ago. You would not believe how much detail was left. That was one of the arguments for the incuse design.

This 1925-D is graded MS-65. Note the additional detail on the upper part of the wing, sort of the eagle's "shoulder."

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome,

Looks legit to me as well, just a fairly well circulated example. Personally I'd still buy that all day long over modern Eagle coins. VF maybe EF, not AU by any means. If that coin was sitting there for sale, I'd be willing to pay a small premium above today's $242 gold value.

Do you own a loupe? A rather inexpensive one will pay dividends far beyond it's cost. Here's one I just picked up that looks great at first glance. It also shows some hairlines that won't show in the picture that I wouldn't expect much better than a low AU (possible Details) grade:

Mark

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2022 2:34PM

@mark_dak said:
    Welcome,

Looks legit to me as well, just a fairly well circulated example. Personally I'd still buy that all day long over modern Eagle coins. VF maybe EF, not AU by any means. If that coin was sitting there for sale, I'd be willing to pay a small premium above today's $242 gold value.

Do you own a loupe? A rather inexpensive one will pay dividends far beyond it's cost. Here's one I just picked up that looks great at first glance. It also shows some hairlines that won't show in the picture that I wouldn't expect much better than a low AU (possible Details) grade:

Mark

>

The coin in the original post is worth a minimum of $350, wholesale.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@mark_dak said:
    Welcome,

Mark

The coin’s worth a minimum of $350, wholesale.

I see dealers dragging the same coins back and forth to shows here locally every week. I pass by the same coins week after week. You can put a coin out on the dealer's table and price it for whatever you want but expect to pack it up at the end of the show. Good luck getting $350 on the OP coin. I'd get more than that on the one I added.

@mark_dak said:

@MFeld said:

@mark_dak said:
    Welcome,

Mark

I see dealers dragging the same coins back and forth to shows here locally every week. I pass by the same coins week after week. You can put a coin out on the dealer's table and price it for whatever you want but expect to pack it up at the end of the show. Good luck getting $350 on the OP coin. I'd get more than that on the one I added.

I would personally pay more for op’s coin than yours. Yours is more baggy, cleaned looking. Remember, it does not have as much wear as most are thinking, being a 1908.

@jwitten said:

@mark_dak said:

@MFeld said:

@mark_dak said:
    Welcome,

Mark

I would personally pay more for op’s coin than yours. Yours is more baggy, cleaned looking. Remember, it does not have as much wear as most are thinking, being a 1908.

If you like paying more for EF coins over AU condition ones I guess that would be a good move.

• Hi again. I would like to ask about another 2.5 dollar coin, the Liberty head type at this time. The coin looks "very new", so there is some worry about authenticity. I present the photos of this coin, together with $5 coin, because the color is also different. Microscope photos will be made tomorrow. Thank you.

• The rim looks little strange, the edges looks like turned on metal lathe, but maybe it must look like that, I don't know

If you have the means to weigh these gold coins on a gram scale, and measure their diameters with a caliper, it would go a long way to determining authenticity. I'd also buy a copy of the Redbook if you're going to get more heavily involved in collecting...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Here is the microscope photos. Maybe you have some opinion about coin authenticity.

• @lkenefic said:
    If you have the means to weigh these gold coins on a gram scale, and measure their diameters with a caliper, it would go a long way to determining authenticity. I'd also buy a copy of the Redbook if you're going to get more heavily involved in collecting...

Coin weight is 4.18g, thickness 1.30mm, diameter 17,94mm, approximate metal analysis results (for more accurate I need to check analysis report, I will do it later): Silver 0.5%, Copper 9.5%, Gold 90%.

Looks real. One pic shows several hairlines so it may have been cleaned.

Based on the weight, diameter measurements, and appearance it looks genuine to me as well. Possibly cleaned... if you decide to send it in to our hosts, please post your results.

...and thanks for sharing!

• Thank you for the comments. So, with high probability, the coin can be called as authentic? I have found some tool marks emerging from the denticles, under the word "OF", but maybe it is allowable in genuine coins also?

Thanks

Nice coin. Make sure to try and hold it only touching the edge though, even with gloves. And no gloves are needed if you are holding it properly (gloves can make it easier to drop).

• @jwitten said:
    Nice coin. Make sure to try and hold it only touching the edge though, even with gloves. And no gloves are needed if you are holding it properly (gloves can make it easier to drop).

Thank you. Yes, dropping on hard surfaces, like ceramic tiles, will be fatal in this case :)

Meanwhile I checked the alloy analysis sheet of the coin - Silver 0.5%, Copper 8.5%, Gold 91%. It is okay? (taking to account the official Au 90% Cu 10%)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file