Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a 1964 SMS? New to this, so no idea.. links to images are below

Answers

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. It is not. They cannot be found in the wild. All known examples came from one source.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Remidy_Jade.... Welcome aboard. Definitely not an SMS. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

No its NOT a SMS but let me help you with some research.
    WS
    https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1964-1c-sms-rd/3284

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    No. It is not. They cannot be found in the wild. All known examples came from one source.

I thought that was recently disputed. Wasn’t a set recently graded and found to have a separate source?

• Options

I'd like to break the news to you folks that I am the one that has all 48 SMS Lincoln cents and all are still like they was when they come off the mat come out of the met

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @DeplorableDan we are going to need another delivery of popcorn!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

I'm trying to put some pictures on there

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erniegee said:
    I'd like to break the news to you folks that I am the one that has all 48 SMS Lincoln cents and all are still like they was when they come off the mat come out of the met

Now you have Mr. Mets attention!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erniegee said:

Coins wrestle at the NY Opera house.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is like the Inception of troll threads.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erniegee said:

I didn't think that there were even 48. I thought more like 15-20.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    This is like the Inception of troll threads.

That confuses me, wait, are we in Joey’s dream?

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a 1964 SMS (PCGS) set quite some time ago. PCGS knows the pups for the die pairs. It is unlikely one would come up unattributed. It was a high-mintage date. So, there are literally tons of them, of variable strike quality.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2024 8:05PM

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@alefzero said:
    I had a 1964 SMS (PCGS) set quite some time ago. PCGS knows the pups for the die pairs. It is unlikely one would come up unattributed. It was a high-mintage date. So, there are literally tons of them, of variable strike quality.

There are literally "tons" of SMS coins????

Professor Kitty strikes again!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@alefzero said:

Are you calling him a liar. :#

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alefzero said:

That's a question. You'll notice the question marks. You can Google what they mean if you're not sure. It is sinply not clear to me what that poster was saying.

So when you ask a question it's a question, but when anyone else asks a question you accuse them of calling someone a liar, got it. I guess you're just a special boy.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

• Options
    edited May 10, 2024 7:27PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@alefzero said:

That's a question. You'll notice the question marks. You can Google what they mean if you're not sure. It is sinply not clear to me what that poster was saying.

So when you ask a question it's a question, but when anyone else asks a question you accuse them of calling someone a liar, got it. I guess you're just a special boy.

Revisionist history. You didn't ask a question. You asked for photographic proof of the weight.

Let me know what rent I owe you for the space I'm taking up on your head.

Asking if something was posted that I might have missed is a question. As you have selective memory disease let me help you out, I did not ask for photographic evidence, I asked if any had been posted. That is a question not a demand, here is a screen shot of the question as you seem to be very confused. Is understanding English not a requirement for teachers anymore? Note the question mark. :D

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    edited May 10, 2024 7:16PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    As my mentor, maybe you could explain what the poster was saying. It is simply not clear to me to which coins he's referring.

Professor Kitty can tell that from the context of what was written when he uses his spectacles to read the entire post.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2024 8:04PM

• Options

I'm referring to the special meant sets of the mint directorEva Adams when she passed away they found in her safe and they was auctioned off to a collector and then that collector option sold them to another collector each coin out of each set was separated to each set was separated in one coin of each domination was took out of the sets I have the 50 pennies that come out of the 50 sets

• Options

And each one of them are ms-70 grade

• Options

@Erniegee said:
    I'm referring to the special meant sets of the mint directorEva Adams when she passed away they found in her safe and they was auctioned off to a collector and then that collector option sold them to another collector each coin out of each set was separated to each set was separated in one coin of each domination was took out of the sets I have the 50 pennies that come out of the 50 sets

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2024 1:34AM

@Erniegee said:

If you have them all, and all of them are ms70 then where did this ms65 come from?

• Options

@Erniegee said:

If you want to spin a tale and have anyone believe it, it needs to be plausible.

You went from 48 to 50 overnight, so you're not reading your own posts. And there are auction records so we know they aren't all 70s.

Enjoy your weekend!

• Options

Please, @Erniegee, I desire to hear as much of that story as you know how to tell if you can’t photograph them fast enough. There’s gotta be a story about changing your drawers when you found it, trembling handover of cash, or maybe a Sunday night bid.
    Finish the story, dammit.

• Options

@lcutler said:

@Erniegee said:

If you have them all, and all of them are ms70 then where did this ms65 come from?

Counterfeit slab?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcutler said:

@Erniegee said:

At this point, why would you bother to take any of the troll’s posts the least bit seriously and address them?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erniegee if you are going to resurrect an old thread just to troll the forum at least make it entertaining. This is kind of pathetic and sad.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@lcutler said:

@Erniegee said:

At this point, why would you bother to take any of the troll’s posts the least bit seriously and address them?

Certainly nothing to take seriously Just curious to see if he had any kind of answer. Best to just let him fade away though.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Sorry, it takes a full roll of 50 to impress me

I'm impressed because now there's 50. They found 2 more last night to impress @FredWeinberg

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

I can tell you this much the ones that come out of them sets didn't have not a blemish on them not and they got a satin finish the one you're showing me is a business strike so if you do your research and do a little reading you'll understand what I'm talking about now if you want to come over here and let me show you I'm new to this year give me your phone number and I'll show you all 50 of them so do you some research and read the story yourself but all you have to do is shoot me a phone number and I'll be more than glad to shoot them your way that coin there is not out of that special meant set and on the 48th two of them I just send off to get graded so there you go

• Options

I meant to say that the 48 to us sent off to get graded makes 50 I don't have the money to get them all graded or I would have so I'm trying to do all I can do right now

• Options

@Erniegee said:
    I'm referring to the special meant sets of the mint directorEva Adams when she passed away they found in her safe

• Options

Out of the 50 special mint sets to Eva Adams had in her safe none of them get released to the public they don't even know why they made them they believe that they was prototypes some people believe they were prototypesSo

• Options

Now I personally believe that the collector that I got them from didn't do his research and he don't even know what he had when it comes to that 50 specials and I got him out of a reasonable price and I didn't know what I had cuz I was new at it so I read up on that 64 the Rolex pennies that I had cuz they look special to me and that's when I run across the story of of Eva Adams now I imagine I could go back and he's probably got a quarter dimes and nickels and the 50 cent pieces and y'all probably even know him

• Options

He owns one of the biggest coin stores in the state of Florida

• Options

@Erniegee said:
    I didn't know what I had cuz I was new at it so I read up on that 64 the Rolex pennies that I had

• Options

Now you gentlemen have a nice day I won't be speaking on this form no time soon so y'all have a very good day and

• Options

Thanks for sreppin’’ in!

@Erniegee said:
    Now you gentlemen have a nice day I won't be speaking on this form no time soon so y'all have a very good day and

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Erniegee said:
    I meant to say that the 48 to us sent off to get graded makes 50 I don't have the money to get them all graded or I would have so I'm trying to do all I can do right now

1 So you have the money to buy " all 48 " OR " all 50 " but can't afford to get them all graded ?

2 If they're all ms70 but not all graded ? How's that work ?

3 Do you seriously think anyone here believes you ?

As others have said, ignore the OP troll, but it's a slow day here. Staying for the entertainment.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:

@Erniegee said:

1 So you have the money to buy " all 48 " OR " all 50 " but can't afford to get them all graded ?

2 If they're all ms70 but not all graded ? How's that work ?

3 Do you seriously think anyone here believes you ?

As others have said, ignore the OP troll, but it's a slow day here. Staying for the entertainment.

By asking questions of him, you, yourself, aren’t ignoring him.
    Sometimes it’s difficult to tell if someone is trolling. This isn’t one of those times.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said, a slow day here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file