Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 Type 1 Buffalo, Straight Grade or Details. GTG

MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
edited December 5, 2021 8:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don't believe I've posted this coin before. I've had it since at least this spring. The coin was in a random also ran TPG holder. I picked it up with a bunch of other interesting but low-end coins at the local 'Friendly gun and pawn.'
The slab had it listed as a 'very' aspirational MS67.
I cracked it out, and it's currently at our host. I'm really hoping for a straight grade, but I'm afraid I will get a Details.
What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is something about it that just looks off in these photos. It may just be the photos but I would guess that it will not, perhaps in hand I would think differently.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks very well struck and mint state. Luster appears off. Did it look cleaned in hand? If not, I dont see why it would not grade at least MS65, if not better.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was struck from proof dies. It’s a high end gem for sure, I’d guess 66.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

it looks a little toned or bronzy to me but the rims have a bit of discoloration that I'm worried may be environmental damage.
    I took a ton of pics of it and some of the other coins I grabbed that day.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2021 11:39AM

I will, I agree, but (as a complete novice in these things), how could you tool it and still leave those details?
    I've been searching high and low for the holder I cracked it out from. I can't remember who it was, but when I researched them, it was a company known for straight grading problem coins.
    Edit to add: Found it. it was slabbed by National Numismatic Certification.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just looks off.

• Options
    TriPodBuffaloTriPodBuffalo Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

Looks like a nice type 1 buffalo to me. My guess is that it will grade at MS65.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not even 100% convinced it's genuine.

mirabela
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut feeling is that is a high quality fake. The relief just does not look like what I am used to seeing on a 1913 Type I nickel.

If it is a fake it signals another jump in quality much as was seen in the 1799 dollar in another thread.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second set of photos has a whizzed look to it to me also, but maybe it’s the images.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say MS65 and it looks authentic. Interesting surface quality though....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I think that you would be Lucky to get a MS65 on this coin Buffs are tough to grade but I would not Trust any NNC certification Grade anyway. hope our Host gives you a Good Grade either way nice Buff.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a late die state reverse paired with a relatively early die state obverse, note the field erosion difference. The strike is average, luster appears pretty good which is probably why Nancy gave it such a lofty grade. It looks like a 65 in my opinion.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2021 7:43AM

What exact holder was it in? If it was the old PCI, those aren't bad. What I'm asking for is, if it were in the PCI. It surely might pass as a straight grade? To me, the coin looks legit for our Host to give it a ms 6? grade. Good Luck ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking even more closely at the reverse between 7 and 8 oclock the die erosion? Lines seem to go over the rim of the coin. I've never seen that before. Tooling?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need to see it in hand, but if you are asking there is some doubt. There are a lot of them around for the money it cost to get them graded send in a banging one with no problems.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

The reason I'm sending in some of this stuff is to learn, I'm really curious as to what it comes back with. In hand, the coin looks great.
    You guys have taught me a ton in this thread. Now we wait :smile:
    I do have a couple of coins in the old PCI holders from the same shopping trip that I may crack out soon and send in.
    I'll make a new thread for those.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing at all that would lead me to believe that it’s a problem coin. On the contrary, I believe it’s a super well stuck type one that should grade no lower than a 65 from the photos.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure I've seen a Type I Buffalo with "LIBERTY" as well-struck as that.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazyhounddog speaks the truth.
    He knows his buffs too!
    He expressed my sentiment perfectly when I looked at the photos.
    I’ve picked up a few of these raw on The Bay over the years, and though some appeared good in the sellers pictures, they most often had issues which were carefully concealed with digital manipulation.
    Your second set of photos are good enough to reduce that possibility by a great deal.
    Looks like a fine Buff to me!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2021 6:29PM

I'll definitely go with those who know these coins. . Grading can be an opinion; but with the main grading services who have on staff PNG members there is usually a high level of professionalism. Most of them take a lot of pride on the accuracy of their grading and love of the hobby.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks "off" to me also

Can't put my finger on it though.....

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look off...........

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Are you changing your mind? You said "It looks like a 66 coin to me, and it should holder."

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2021 10:56AM

I would send it in as I would need to know. Tough to tell.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post the grade when you receive it.
    I am not a Buffalo Man, but I do not like the reverse.
    From the pictures, it makes me think that it was whizzed but for your sake, I hope it comes back with a high grade.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking more closely at both sets of pictures, I am having second thoughts to my previous comments.
    The first photos portray the coin with a great strike and surfaces and the second set of photos do bring up some questions on the surfaces. The surface luster seems to be replaced with something else.
    I don’t know if it lighting, or some sort of light abrasion, but I now agree that there could be something “off”.
    Please do keep us updated on the outcome here.
    Thanks

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+, if the luster/brightness is there, then 66.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Are you changing your mind? You said "It looks like a 66 coin to me, and it should holder."

Nope. But it does have a different look to it.

Pete

• Options

I’d love to know what looks so “off” about it from that crowd.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing the second set of photos, I am afraid it may have been cleaned.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great result. Did you request that it be identified as a DDR ?

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the grade and the variety! That's a nice one:

http://www.varietyvista.com/03 Buffalo Nickels/1913PDDR002.htm

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2022 7:36AM

@Meltdown said:
    That's a great result. Did you request that it be identified as a DDR ?

No, I had no idea. I wasn't even sure it would straight grade!
    I bought a whole mess of stuff that day in random holders. I didn't even have my glasses with me and couldn't have seen it had I tried! :D

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, I thought the first pics were great, but was worried in the second set of pics. I also want to congratulate you on the super prompt service you got getting it graded. Unreal. Hope mine go through twice as quick as that. Beautiful Buff and a DDR to boot.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

What tier did you submit it under to get results back in a month?

• Options

A DDR too......................

Difficult to see unless you know where to look. The "P" in PLURIBUS is a dead giveaway

Pete.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2022 1:08PM

@clarkbar04 said:
    What tier did you submit it under to get results back in a month?

Oh, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression!
    I sent it back in October. I was sitting around one morning drinking my coffee and thought I'd start a thread and ask what all you guys thought. (I was getting antsy and wanted it back! lol)
    It truly is a gorgeous coin in person; it has every attribute of a proof but the sharp edges at the rim. (or at least that's what I came up with after google and a few threads here and around the interwebs)
    I'm glad I sent it! I believe I put in the notes, I thought it might be a proof, but I'd take any grade, details or not, because I wasn't sure what it was.
    I also told them to charge me whatever I had to pay because I wasn't sure under what service it should have been sent in under.
    Maybe they looked closer at it for me because of my notes and that's why it was given that attribute?
    Last time I asked you guys about a stunning nickel you guys all told me to save my money. :D lol
    I had just wanted that other coin in a new holder! :)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations my coin brother

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2022 1:02AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    A DDR too......................

Difficult to see unless you know where to look. The "P" in PLURIBUS is a dead giveaway

Pete.

I spent all morning scouring over as many photos and reading as much as I could on these and I was like yep! That was it. :smile:
    Thanks for letting me know for sure!

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    Congratulations my coin brother

Man, You have no idea how stoked I am!
    Still can't sleep! lol

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

You scored a home run, congratulations! The naysayers have egg on their faces!

• Options

Well, here she is :)

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@Metal said:
    Well, here she is :)

Congrats on the grade and ddr.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I’ll send you one with out that DDR problem just send it to me, Congratulations you need to buy more coins without you glasses. 😉

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the party but I was gonna say I like Pete’s Assessment at 66.
    Then it got even better, congrats on the score!

• Options

@Type2 said:
    Well I’ll send you one with out that DDR problem just send it to me, Congratulations you need to buy more coins without you glasses. 😉

I will take nothing less than an ASE ;) lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file