Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas welcome to the XXI century 😂😂😂

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki, I think @pruebas has TikTok. Perhaps send him a link there.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2021 1:32PM

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas welcome to the XXI century 😂😂😂

I never was a conformist, and am not about to start now. I see no value in social media. Not trying to impress anyone nor get anyone's approval (sorry, Lady Jazmon :o ).

FB/IG is particularly insidious as they require you to log in (i.e. be tracked) to see anything.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    FB/IG is particularly insidious as they require you to log in (i.e. be tracked) to see anything.

That's why you open those accounts under fictitious emails ;) Social media can be a useful tool, if used as such. Most of the coins i sell (duplicates, research pieces, curios) are sub-$1,000 and IG, for example, is a place where I can get market / auction prices paid with a no-fee method often within hours.

• Options

Clearly not for everyone. Cheers!

• Options
    AchoriAchori Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

They are tough, I find Charles IV to be scarcer than Ferdinand VII's, but there are some rare dates for F7. In nice condition they are hard to come by.

@bidask said:
    How tough ( or not) are peru 4 reales ?

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    That's why you open those accounts under fictitious emails ;) Social media can be a useful tool, if used as such. Most of the coins i sell (duplicates, research pieces, curios) are sub-$1,000 and IG, for example, is a place where I can get market / auction prices paid with a no-fee method often within hours.

... and for those like me, that i do not use those tools, the only way to know is via those places?

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

A slightly light Potosi 4 reale coming in at 12 grams.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@carabonnair said:
    Happy Thursday! Here's one I wish I had in better condition:

It's a hefty, thick coin, which probably accounts for some of the rim dings.

Not a coin you see every day. Cool looking coin.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clear overdate ? Nice pickups and very scarce condition !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Couple of additions from today

Are you the only one who bought anything in Spain today? :o

• Options
    edited October 28, 2021 7:36PM

@bidask said:
    Clear overdate ? Nice pickups and very scarce condition !

Thanks. It's a re-punched digit. The die sinker was not happy with the initial placement of the 1, filled it, and re-punched it slightly to the side. I haven't seen this one before.

@pruebas said:

Are you the only one who bought anything in Spain today? :o

I'm surprised I won anything.

• Options

@JohnnyCache saw it on eBay, great catch!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    @JohnnyCache saw it on eBay, great catch!

Thank you

Brad Yonaka's book lists the assayer FT for the Mexican 1 Real as rare while the FM assayer of the same date is listed as Scarce.

Beyond that though for me is the fact that it will replace a Bolivian 1808 PTS PJ in PCGS AU-55 that I was using in my Charles IV denomination set giving me a slight bump up in grade along with a somewhat more eye pleasing example, at least to me.

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

Anyone have hard info on this (not looking for speculation) ? Had a while, all the old timers from Florida and the usual top tier Latin American & world coin dealers never saw one either.

• Options

@RaraAvis said:
    A rarely seen mint error.
    1863 Mo-TH 8 Reales Double struck 2nd strike 60% off center

>
    Interesting example. Since there’s no evidence on the reverse, the coin remained on the anvil die when the second strike occurred. There must have been some kind of hammer die failure for the second strike to be this much off center.

• Options

@RaraAvis said:
    A rarely seen mint error.
    1863 Mo-TH 8 Reales Double struck 2nd strike 60% off center

That's a HUGE coin in this market! Significantly O/C... and an earlier date - almost all of the O/C pieces you see are 1880s or 1890s.

• Options
    RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2021 8:25PM

@realeswatcher

Agreed!

I have seen only a couple of similar coins. Including the Pablo Gerber 1890 Do example:

• Options

@SPP said:
    North/South American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

How about a combination of both?? This is an undated Brazilian 50 Centavos struck over a 1971 Canadian 1c. The Royal Canadian Mint struck these coins (supposed to be a Cu-Ni planchet) for Brazil from 1970 to 1972.

That's pretty cool!

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@OriginalDan said:
    My core set consists of higher grade pieces, but sometimes I can't resist a nice attractive XF or two:

Dan, i know i'm about 7 years too late, but that XF45 is an 1802 FT/M. Probably didn't call it out back then because that variety have been cataloged, yet. I picked-up my XF45 example at Vico a few years later (2015).

Sure enough! Can't remember if I knew that or not at the time. Especially nice reverse on that one.

If I remember correctly, that coin was sold to NEN at the Spring 2020 Long Beach show...just before Covid screwed everything up. Last coin show I attended in person.

• Options

@JohnnyCache nice ones. The 1956 is surprisingly elusive.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    @JohnnyCache nice ones. The 1956 is surprisingly elusive.

Given it's smaller mintage, I would have expected the 1955 to be the more elusive one of the bunch.
    That's the one that initially caught my eye and then the rest sort of followed.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 12:28PM

I might mention this was a gift from a gentleman in Havana, Cuba as was the bi-metallic 5 Pesos coin. Tourist coinage in Cuba depicts monuments only not personages.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    I picked up a few modern Mexican coins the other day, any thoughts on these?
    These are the sellers pictures.

Those can pick up some nice toning -- here's mine.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2021 3:18AM

@Boosibri
    I checked the 1790 Mo FM 8R (PCGS #81959216) and it does not exist in their database. Any reason why?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    @Boosibri
    I checked the 1790 Mo FM 8R (PCGS #81959216) and it does not exist in their database. Any reason why?

I regraded it before selling it some time ago

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 8:37PM