Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin lamination

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea what this may be worth?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to have a lamination on a large silver coin.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a strike thru a piece of wood 2 me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Looks like a strike thru a piece of wood 2 me. Peace Roy

you can see a crack going from between the T and Y all the way to the lamination. Let me try to get a better pic.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow dude, what an AWESOME find!
    I'm jealous. Lol
    Very unusual on a Franklin.
    Congratulations ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea what kind of premium that would add to the coin but it is a really nice Lam error for a Franklin.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you going to get it graded?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone educate me. How does a coin that is made up of an alloy (silver and copper) delaminate? I can understand clad coins that have layers of material delaminating (layers separate) but how does a 90% silver, 10% copper coin (alloy of two materials) delaminate?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@WAYNEAS i don't think its worth grading

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:
    Someone educate me. How does a coin that is made up of an alloy (silver and copper) delaminate? I can understand clad coins that have layers of material delaminating (layers separate) but how does a 90% silver, 10% copper coin (alloy of two materials) delaminate?

Poor mixing

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

Poor mixing

Thanks.

That's what I was thinking but it seems it would have to be piss pour mixing to end up delaminating.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2021 2:47PM

During the preparation of the planchet strip, foreign materials — grease, dirt, oil, slag or gas — may become trapped just below the surface of the metal. Coins struck from this strip later may begin to flake and peel since adhesion is poor in the location of the trapped material
    @pmh1nic

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there much of a market for such errors? To me it is a melt bucket coin but there may be others out there who will actually pay a premium over melt for it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2021 2:57PM

@pmh1nic said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@pmh1nic said:

Poor mixing

Thanks.

That's what I was thinking but it seems it would have to be piss pour mixing to end up delaminating.

Delamination isn't peeling of different layers. Bronze coins do it. Nickel coins do it. It's stress related from the rolling of heterogeneous compositions either due to poor alloy mixing or inclusion of impurities or the like.

To me, it appears to be less common in silver coins but it is very common in Wheat cents and nickels, especially war nickels.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there's always a market for significant errors on Franklin Halves. Probably not worth a huge amount but but should certainly be worth a premium.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this thread was about Franklin lamentation...

Today in History: Franklin’s Lamentation
    BY ARGUS · 26 JANUARY 2015

BenFranklin_800In a letter to his daughter 231 years ago today, Benjamin Franklin expresses unhappiness over the design of the Seal of the President of the United States. He complains that the artist of the Great Seal had tried to paint a bald eagle in the center but that the bird ended up looking much more like a turkey. He then goes on, tongue in cheek, to compare the merits of the eagle versus the turkey as our national bird, pretending to believe that the turkey would make a better national symbol.

This letter – taken out of context – led to one of the great American myths: that Ben Franklin was unhappy with the eagle as our national symbol and actually preferred the turkey.The misunderstanding was chalked up to a failure of people to understand sarcasm, but a newly discovered painting of Franklin posed mid-letter provides a more apt reason for the miscommunication, and also explains why it took him three days to write the letter.

Source: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/american-myths-benjamin-franklins-turkey-and-the-presidential-seal-6623414/?no-ist

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look more like a strike through than delamination to me.... Should be interesting to get further input from a TPG or resident expert @FredWeinberg. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko Look closely at the crack from TY over to the big part of the lamination. You can see its pushing the metal outward from the crack. Still it would be nice if any of the error experts weighed in.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234.... Yes, I saw that.... The marks inside the depression lead me to believe it was an impression, and that feature you mention seems it may have been an overflow of the foreign material, depressed after the retained piece fell out. Just my theory and ICBW. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ill agree it does look like a strike through ,however my experience with Franklins is they had a lot of lamination issues. I had a roll of unc. 1963 Franklins all had lamination issues! Not as bad as this specimen, but all had peels on one or more surface areas.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, that's something one does not see every day

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file