Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Customer received an interesting letter......

Maybe I missed it on here, one of my customers told me today that they received a letter from Littleton that the US Mint will stop making the cent starting in 2023?

Has anyone heard anything about this? Is lottleton on to something or just speculating?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2021 3:01PM

"Death of the Penny - US Mint to Cease Penny Production in 2023" https://cashmoneylife.com/us-mint-cease-penny-production/

"News: Penny Production Will Stop in 2023: Here’s Why — Tally" https://www.meettally.com/blog/news-penny-production-will-stop-in-2023-heres-why

"What Will Happen When the U.S. Stops Making Pennies in 2023 | Newswire" https://www.newswire.com/news/what-will-happen-when-the-u-s-stops-making-pennies-in-2023-21409166

That said, I hadn't heard about this until now, surprised Coin week hasn't done an article about it given the numismatic significance of this change.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2021 3:07PM

I did quick Google search and found a bunch of articles saying the penny will be phased out in late 2022. It's about time, my US small cent collection has been getting boring. Only missing a couple key date IHC and the super rare coins like 1856 FE and 1943 copper etc.

• Options

It says 50,000 proof only will be minted in 2023 and auctioned off to collectors starting at $179. With that mintage it's a key date for sure

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:
    It says 50,000 proof only will be minted in 2023 and auctioned off to collectors starting at $179. With that mintage it's a key date for sure

And if they are all zincolns then they’ll rot away eventually. Maybe they will do them in bronze as a tribute like the 2009 series?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think I’ll pass as $179 for a zinc coin we know will degrade just is not a good thing. I’ll look for a last issue from the past

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entirely stop making or merely pause production for a few years? There are plenty of instances where production years have been skipped throughout numismatic history.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently stop 🛑

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    Entirely stop making or merely pause production for a few years? There are plenty of instances where production years have been skipped throughout numismatic history.

The have been talking about this for years, it costs 2.5 cents to make each penny. This is the end following the example of Canada and England. Even when I was studying abroad in Spain in 2005/2006 they had the 1 and 2 cent pieces but many vendors rounded to 5 or 10 cents.

• Options

I just made a dansco with blank pages to get my penny collection through 2045 last year too....

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno if it’s true because look at the date on the first article that was linked above🤔

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

About time

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

The earliest mention I can find on google for that is from an article on April 1st. The announced date to discontinue is also mentioned as April 1st.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen it if I do a Google search info about it but what I'm surprised about is I didn't really see it on an credible websites? Or ones I've heard of yet?

No not opening a political thing so please don't anyone else but you would think fox News, CNN, msmbc, or one of them would have reported something by now. Or shoot maybe even the us mint

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2021 3:27PM

Hmmmm. April 1st. Doesn't that ring a bell with anyone? :#

Another hint: read the entire article and there is a statement at the very end. :*

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

No mainstream news outlet is reporting it. There is no press release or other statement on the Mint’s website. It sounds like some thing made up to sell worthless modern coins.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is in the law that they must make them

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if I got suckered then I’m happy to have a good laugh at it. :) I’d rather be fooled this way than on something else…

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fiat always fails.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    edited September 23, 2021 3:48PM

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

G-d I hope so.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it was a happy thought while it lasted.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

should stop making pennies, start making thruppence. those would only cost about thruppence to make...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it WOULD be a great idea! We could also use bi-metallic $2.50 and $5 coins, too.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2021 5:05PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny. :D

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

What is funny is the people who would hear about the penny going away, and start hoarding thousands and thousands of zinc pennies because they will become valuable...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less hits when you metal detect 😂

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@coinbuf said:

What is funny is the people who would hear about the penny going away, and start hoarding thousands and thousands of zinc pennies because they will become valuable...

:D Ridiculously funny :D

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be funny if Littleton got had by an April Fool's article.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure would!

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:

The have been talking about this for years, it costs 2.5 cents to make each penny. This is the end following the example of Canada and England. Even when I was studying abroad in Spain in 2005/2006 they had the 1 and 2 cent pieces but many vendors rounded to 5 or 10 cents.

1 and 2 cent euros were minted for the smaller economies of eastern europe. they rarely circulate in western europe, as you said. but they were never "eliminated" in those countries, they just aren't utilized

• Options

Maybe they should get rid of the penny, and the paper dollar. And then start making a dollar coin the same size as a small cent... 🤔

• Options

Another thing to consider in regard to Europe...

Since they use a VAT (value added tax) that is built into retail prices, they don't usually end up with odd amounts at the cash register neatly as often as we do in the US with our widespread state sales taxes. It is very easy in Europe to keep prices at increments that preclude the use of the smaller coins.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

How has it worked out for Canada? They stopped circulating pennies in 2013.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not yet reality. Nor do I expect it to be in the foreseeable future. It would take a congressional act to achieve this, which would be accompanied by great debate on both sides. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you read it on the internet YOU KNOW IT IS TRUE!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:

WOW !! Interesting developments Only 50,000 coins and only to collectors or Lincoln cent enthusiasts. That'll be a rare coin for sure. Don't cha Think?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

@ndeagles said:

WOW !! Interesting developments Only 50,000 coins and only to collectors or Lincoln cent enthusiasts. That'll be a rare coin for sure. Don't cha Think?

Most will go to coin dealers, flippers and speculators.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Soldi said:

@ndeagles said:

Most will go to coin dealers, flippers and speculators.

Yes, I know. I was half heartily making sport of the "low" mintage. In a few years nobody cares.

No reflection on the OP that I quoted

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the mint at least use copper planchets considering what they are charging.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Inflation is double taxation. Will everyone be happy when we're all trillionaires and can't buy a loaf of bread with it? Fiat always fails.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    How has it worked out for Canada? They stopped circulating pennies in 2013.

Very well.
    The cashier rings up your sale/meal/whatever and let’s say it comes to $47.63. He/she announces the total at that point and you have the option of paying the exact amount with a credit or debit card. If you tender cash, the cashier enters that amount and the machine prints a new line that says “Rounding” or the like and the adjustment as “+.02” or “-.01” or whatever and the new total to the closest nickel. Very easy and you never gain or lose more than two cents!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2021 10:01AM

@CaptHenway said:
    If you tender cash, the cashier enters that amount and the machine prints a new line that says “Rounding” or the like and the adjustment as “+.02” or “-.01” or whatever and the new total to the closest nickel. Very easy and you never gain or lose more than two cents!!!

It would take a law - and even that might be challenged - to force people to accept a rounding scheme.

I'll tell you what - if the rounding is always in my favor then I am on board.

But, people and businesses can do this right now by refusing the cent coin part of the amount due. So how come few people or businesses do it? ;)

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 10:10AM

Next April 1st I'll start the rumor the government is studying unjumping the shark.

Of course the study will cost a few billion and conclude it's not necessary to unjump any sharks.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shark was jumped in January

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2022 11:52AM

Deleted

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not believe inflation matters or is even real.

How does inflation calculate an iPhone or a GPS sonar fish finder on a kayak that was not available 30 years ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file