Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Customer received an interesting letter......

2»

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2021 11:21AM

@SiriusBlack said:
    The earliest mention I can find on google for that is from an article on April 1st. The announced date to discontinue is also mentioned as April 1st.

Here is your hint folks!

Think about it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    But, people and businesses can do this right now by refusing the cent coin part of the amount due. So how come few people or businesses do it? ;)

The convenience store I go to does this all the time. I get a drink that totals $1.52, hand over two dollar bills and get two quarters as change.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@JBK said:
    But, people and businesses can do this right now by refusing the cent coin part of the amount due. So how come few people or businesses do it? ;)

The convenience store I go to does this all the time. I get a drink that totals $1.52, hand over two dollar bills and get two quarters as change.

I like that process!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The double taxation comes in most especially with Capital Gains taxes. I for one thing the gain if any(and possibly a loss) should be inflation adjusted. That ain't gonna happen because that is how the government taxes assets. That is also why government wants and needs to have inflation.

@Liquidated said:

@privatecoin said:
    Inflation is double taxation. Will everyone be happy when we're all trillionaires and can't buy a loaf of bread with it? Fiat always fails.

Inflation is vital to growing economies and not all that bad as long as wages keep pace. Future debt is more easily absorbed with inflation. The people that get burned are ones not invested in assets and sitting in cash.

The world economy would not have seen same growth if monetary systems were backed by gold and silver.

It amazes me that even after the 1980s people are willing to “invest” in gold and silver. There are more appropriate hedges.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@CaptHenway said:
    If you tender cash, the cashier enters that amount and the machine prints a new line that says “Rounding” or the like and the adjustment as “+.02” or “-.01” or whatever and the new total to the closest nickel. Very easy and you never gain or lose more than two cents!!!

It would take a law - and even that might be challenged - to force people to accept a rounding scheme.

I'll tell you what - if the rounding is always in my favor then I am on board.

They do. It's the "give a penny, take a penny" tray.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 12:59PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I do not believe inflation matters or is even real.

How does inflation calculate an iPhone or a GPS sonar fish finder on a kayak that was not available 30 years ago.

Umm... you can calculate inflation on shorter time frames than 30 years.

And I've been buying milk for 30 years, that's not a new invention.

Someone should tell the Weimar Republic that inflation doesn't matter...or Zimbabwe...or Brazil...

If like to nominate this for the oddest post of 2021.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously you don't understand as usual.

That iPhone in you pocket is so deflationary it is even considered. It's a camera. It's a calculator. It's a computer. It's a phone. It's a Walkman. It's mail. It's a typewriter. It's takes dictation. It's a dictionary. It's an encyclopedia. It has all the information of the world on it. It does banking. it tells you where to go (navigation). I could go on for an hour on just how deflationary an iPhone is.

• Options

@Liquidated said:

@privatecoin said:
    Inflation is double taxation. Will everyone be happy when we're all trillionaires and can't buy a loaf of bread with it? Fiat always fails.

Inflation is vital to growing economies and not all that bad as long as wages keep pace. Future debt is more easily absorbed with inflation. The people that get burned are ones not invested in assets and sitting in cash.

The world economy would not have seen same growth if monetary systems were backed by gold and silver.

It amazes me that even after the 1980s people are willing to “invest” in gold and silver. There are more appropriate hedges.

This is mostly true. However, there is a creditor for every debtor.

You also need to add "moderate" to "Inflation". There are limits to how much is beneficial.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

That iPhone in you pocket is so deflationary it is even considered. It's a camera. It's a calculator. It's a computer. It's a phone. It's a Walkman. It's mail. It's a typewriter. It's takes dictation. It's a dictionary. It's an encyclopedia. It has all the information of the world on it. It does banking. it tells you where to go (navigation). I could go on for an hour on just how deflationary an iPhone is.

One or two or even multiple examples of items not existing or being cheaper (especially using a long time frame with technology) don't prove your point. Inflation is very real. Look at your groceries, gas, clothing, cars, housing, etc.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 1:41PM

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

One or two or even multiple examples of items not existing or being cheaper (especially using a long time frame with technology) don't prove your point. Inflation is very real. Look at your groceries, gas, clothing, cars, housing, etc.

Add up the price of all those tools that an iPhone has. Big time deflation. So much deflation, it is not even considered. Not considering an iPhone skews the results.

I just bought a brand new iMac for $2500 killer deal, so much deflation in the computer industry as well.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I completely understand, and have for 30 years, the deflation that has existed in tech. But that is one sector. There is Inflation, and always has been, in other sectors. The Federal government has Inflation targets. But, they are really wasting their time creating imaginary targets.

You can find websites that will show you how many hours of work are required to buy items. Except for tech, those numbers have not been decreasing.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Add up the price of all those tools that an iPhone has. Big time deflation.

I just bought a brand new iMac for $2500 killer deal, so much deflation in the computer industry as well.

How do you get the iMac in your gas tank? Are you roasting it or boiling it for dinner?

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2022 11:42AM

Deleted

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

How do you get the iMac in your gas tank? Are you roasting it or boiling it for dinner?

Thing is, the iMac makes it so I hardly ever need to buy gasoline.

Which opens another whole ball of wax.

The internt itself is super duper deflationary. I run my whole businesses from the internet. In the past to do my job, I would have to travel the country paying the expenses of going to coin shows. Now all that is done from a home office with zero being spent on fuel to travel.

Double deflation that's never calculated.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Thing is, the iMac makes it so I hardly ever need to buy gasoline.

Which opens another whole ball of wax.

The internt itself is super duper deflationary. I run my whole businesses from the internet. In the past to do my job, I would have to travel the country paying the expenses of going to coin shows. Now all that is done from a home office with zero being spent on fuel to travel.

Double deflation that's never calculated.

What is it that allows you to use the internet from home?
    How much energy is expanded to power all your devices (electricity, fossil fuels, etc)?
    How much is being spent on the ink, paper, and envelopes to print and ship all your items?
    How much is being spent on fuel by the USPS, Fedex, UPS, and Amazon to deliver all the extra loads to each home?
    How much is being spent on more employees who need more benefits and incentives to do all this work?

Inflation has even come to the computer market. That iMac would have been cheaper a year or two ago.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/chip-shortage-will-lead-to-higher-pc-prices-as-dell-hp-lenovo-pass-on-higher-costs/

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 2:03PM

What is it that allows you to use the internet from home? ... Cox Cable

How much energy is expanded to power all your devices (electricity, fossil fuels, etc)? .... no idea, don't care, I know my devices are deflationary.

How much is being spent on the ink, paper, and envelopes to print and ship all your items? ... I have my own personal print shop at home because of the personal computer, super deflationary and huge amounts of time saved.

How much is being spent on fuel by the USPS, Fedex, UPS, and Amazon to deliver all the extra loads to each home? could care less, I am not spending money on fuel.

How much is being spent on more employees who need more benefits and incentives to do all this work? No employees no worries. The computer means I do not need to pay for a secretary. Deflationary!

Ever hear of Moore's law? Computers are deflationary.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

a GPS sonar fish finder on a kayak.

Speaking of which, what is the catch of the week for dinner on the grill this evening?
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

How much energy is expanded to power all your devices (electricity, fossil fuels, etc)? .... no idea, don't care, I know my devices are deflationary.

How much is being spent on the ink, paper, and envelopes to print and ship all your items? ... I have my own personal print shop at home because of the personal computer, super deflationary and huge amounts of time saved.

How much is being spent on fuel by the USPS, Fedex, UPS, and Amazon to deliver all the extra loads to each home? could care less, I am not spending money on fuel.

How much is being spent on more employees who need more benefits and incentives to do all this work? No employees no worries. The computer means I do not need to pay for a secretary. Deflationary!

Your answers just further prove that you don't understand. Continue on in your magical deflationary world.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

a GPS sonar fish finder on a kayak.

Speaking of which, what is the catch of the week for dinner on the grill this evening?
    boston

Lobster season opens exactly one week and one day from now. Unfortunately, Lobsters don't show ups on the sonar.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

This reeks of privilege.

We all acknowledge tech deflation.

You continue to ignore every other sector including housing and food which are 50% of most household expenditures.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 2:23PM

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Your answers just further prove that you don't understand. Continue on in your magical deflationary world.

Of course, I am not a professor. I don't look at the numbers. I use common sense and personal experience. I could care less about the so called incorrectly calculated inflation numbers.

Worries about inflation is just plain silly. OMG the price of a loaf of bread went up 4 cents, the sky is falling.

Have fun guys, I'm done. Got to go rig my lobster hoop nets.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Of course, I am not a professor. I don't look at the numbers. I use common sense and personal experience. I could care less about the so called incorrectly calculated inflation numbers.

Worries about inflation is just plain silly. OMG the price of a loaf of bread went up 4 cents, the sky I falling.

Try to find one person, with or without a degree, who agrees with you that inflation is imaginary.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 2:22PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

This reeks of privilege.

You continue to ignore every other sector including housing and food which are 50% of most household expenditures.

It is called extremely hard work.

I have been a a shoestring budget all my life as I do not come from "privilege"

I know about the cost of things as I have built two businesses. Way less expensive to start and run a business today.

Film and developing costs to run my business where insane years ago. Today they are zero. More deflation.

Personal life experiences, your experience my be different.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Worries about inflation is just plain silly. OMG the price of a loaf of bread went up 4 cents, the sky I falling.

Try to find one person, with or without a degree, who agrees with you that inflation is imaginary.

Unfortunately there are quite a few out there that share his same "common sense" approach to the issue. Some of them are in positions to actually cause the inflation. :s

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

This reeks of privilege.

We do indeed acknowledge tech deflation but the funny thing is that even computers have seen inflation in the last year.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Unfortunately there are quite a few out there that share his same "common sense" approach to the issue. Some of them are in positions to actually cause the inflation. :s

Being immune to the inflation isn't the same as declaring it doesn't exist.

When I was an undergraduate, the TOTAL cost of a 4 year degree at my school was about the same as starting salaries in my field. Today, 30 years later, the total cost if 4 years at the SAME school is about 2.5x the starting salary.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 2:27PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@U1chicago said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Being immune to the inflation isn't the same as declaring it doesn't exist.

When I was an undergraduate, the TOTAL cost of a 4 year degree at my school was about the same as starting salaries in my field. Today, 30 years later, the total cost if 4 years at the SAME school is about 2.5x the starting salary.

I know that. Unfortunately, I've run into people that think that because something hasn't happened to them, it must not exist. They will swear to you that it must be this way and you are the crazy one for going against their lived experiences.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 2:30PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Kinda like taking business advice from someone with a degree in business and teaches classes about business. LMFAO. Enjoy your day in academy as I go back to work in the real world.

Wheres, my bong, Geez.

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2022 11:29AM

Deleted

• Options
    edited September 24, 2021 2:41PM

@Liquidated said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

This reeks of privilege.

It is called extremely hard work.

I have been a a shoestring budget all my life as I do not come from "privilege"

I know about the cost of things as I have built two businesses. Way less expensive to start and run a business today.

Film and developing costs to run my business where insane years ago. Today they are zero. More deflation.

Personal life experiences, your experience my be different.

Does your business charge the same as when first started?

I run two business.

The stock photography business has been on an intense downward deflationary spiral for the last 20 years.

That is why I was forced to become a coin dealer.

As a coin dealer for about twenty years now, I have kept my margins the same.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were FORCED into a job, you should fight back. Everyone has choices.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:

I had no other options. Yes I was forced to become a coin dealer.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the worst inflation in my opinion is the ever shrinking product. You know what I'm talking about. Half gallons of ice cream are now reduced to a quart and a half...but cost the same price. Boxes of Brand X crackers have gone from 16 oz to 13 or 12 oz. How long will it be before a 1 oz silver coin becomes thinner and only weighs .9 oz?......and costs the same.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@3stars said:

I had no other options. Yes I was forced to become a coin dealer.

At least you got the last available job in the us then...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    At least you got the last available job in the us then...

I see lots of "Help Wanted" signs around here. And if the radio ads are to believed, bonuses are being offered to applicants.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    Entirely stop making or merely pause production for a few years? There are plenty of instances where production years have been skipped throughout numismatic history.

The have been talking about this for years, it costs 2.5 cents to make each penny. This is the end following the example of Canada and England. Even when I was studying abroad in Spain in 2005/2006 they had the 1 and 2 cent pieces but many vendors rounded to 5 or 10 cents.

And Australia and New Zealand.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    How long will it be before a 1 oz silver coin becomes thinner and only weighs .9 oz?......and costs the same.

I think it's already happened. As I understand it, a few years ago the Chinese Panda went from one troy ounce to 30 (?) grams. :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file