Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you consider buying a coin based on an Internet Image to be??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

All you have to base the answer on is the image, no other criteria.

What do you consider buying a coin based on an Internet Image to be??

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

Sight seen. I buy 99.9% of my coins off the internet.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 10:52AM

There is a standard definition for “sight seen” which, when adapted to Internet purchases, is based on return policy and what I use.

• If you can return, sight seen.
    • If you cannot return, sight unseen.

This is still relevant for Internet purchases as there are many things that cannot be observed in a photo.

Basically, when buying from Internet images, eBay is sight seen for the sellers I frequent, while HA and SB are sight unseen.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

Sight unseen to me is ordering a coin with just a word description. If you are given an image, you are seeing the coin. It may not be a good image, but that is another issue.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

"Sight seen" if it meets or exceeds my expectations based on the pics; "sight unseen" if the pics turn out to be deceptive or hiding something... ;)

• Options
    Sight Unseen.

If you are given an image, you are seeing the coin.

with "no other criteria" and with the 1915 Buffalo thread still in your memory, you would consider that a "sight seen" transaction??

OK...........................

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need a choice for sight partially seen. I see pictures and it gives me some idea of what I’ll get. Sometimes it’s very close to in hand and other times pretty far.

• Options
    Sight Unseen.

simple question, geez!! I can't figure out if everyone is being deliberately difficult or actually struggles with reading comprehension. this isn't a trick question.

• Options
    Sight Seen.

@keets said:

with "no other criteria" and with the 1915 Buffalo thread still in your memory, you would consider that a "sight seen" transaction??

Actually never opened that thread because the only Buffalo's that I collect are $50 face :)

If you don't like the picture, don't buy the coin. A photo of the slab then gives you the chance to look for a Trueview or past auction.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

Agree. Image is seen. Coin is not.

• Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 9:21AM

Gambling?

I kid... I buy most of my coins via images. Good images are helpful and bad images can be a gamble....

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

No way it's "sight seen". To me it's "tentative". The first gate it has to pass to get it in hand for final judgement.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    Sight Seen.

So if I understand this, if you see a photo of your Grandkids but can't hold them in your arms, you consider them to be sight unseen.

Interesting.....

• Options
    Sight Unseen.

twisting in the wind, how elegant.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

Plus in hand, return policy, reputation of seller. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Plus in hand, return policy, reputation of seller. Peace Roy

Definitely sight seen with a return policy.

Sight unseen without one.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a black and white answer.

(No pun intended)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

I think if we buy a coin based on a description only we would all agree that’s sight unseen. If we buy a coin with images then it would be logical IMO to conclude that we’re now buying sight seen although this still may not be the optimal sight seen buying experience.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2021 9:40AM

@skier07 said:
    I think if we buy a coin based on a description only we would all agree that’s sight unseen. If we buy a coin with images then it would be logical IMO to conclude that we’re now buying sight seen although this still may not be the optimal sight seen buying experience.

For me, looking at an image only is sight unseen. A lot of things can’t be seen even even in the best of photos, an example is hairlines on proofs. Try buying a 19th century proof on images only.

A photo is more similar to a text description than viewing a coin in hand to me. An image can be manipulated. It may not even be the coin you receive!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

No matter how good the image, it is rarely as good as inspecting the coin in hand. I would say I ask for (when possible) sight unseen privilege's, just so if there is something the pictures don't show (or have been manipulated to hide), but I also study pictures closely so I can consider the action an almost sight seen purchase.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's neither. Sight seen/unseen has absolutely nothing to do with images--only with whether or not the coin can be physically seen in-hand prior to making a final decision. If the seller allows returns then it is sight seen even with no photo at all. If returns aren't allowed--as in most major auctions--then internet bids are sight unseen even with perfect pics.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many angels can dance on an image? ;)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

I'm a bit surprised the first option got any votes.

Seeing a coin is seeing a coin. A photo is just a representation of it. Even a good video is just "close".

Ever been to the Grand Canyon? Ever seen a photo that captured the grandeur?

I do sometimes buy coins without having seen them first, but I usually have someone review them for me, there is a solid return privilege, or it's basically a bullion deal. This is one significant limitation in the business model of auction houses. With SB and Heritage there are people there I trust to take a look. If there's something important, I try to view the lots in-hand, and I've even had the big auction houses ship coins to me for review if I can't attend the auctions and there's enough time to do it. With GC, I sometimes just roll the dice. Usually it works out..... sometimes not so much. This is where photo interpretation skills and a little bit of sleuthing to find old photos comes in.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That term was generally used when putting together a deal. I'd purchase a coin based on the dealer's reputation (before photos were offered). There would be a bit of negotiation in the sense the price would be slightly lowered- possibly- if I bought the coin sight-unseen. Meaning I couldn't return the coin.
    If I did have full return privileges, it would be considered a sight seen transaction.

If the coin is offered with a full return option, it is a sight seen purchase (whether photos are used or not).
    if the coin is offered with no return option, it is. sight unseen purchase (whether photos are used or not.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the quality of the pictures (lighting, sharpness or resolution, etc). Generally, I would say that most pics on eBay would be considered to be sight unseen.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

If there is a photo, sight seen. W/O a photo, sight unseen. Can't unsee a photo, good or bad.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2021 10:54AM
    Sight Seen.

If you are looking at a photograph of a coin then you have seen it.

So simple but some of you think this is some complex question.

Maybe the OP should have use the term "In Hand"

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

Until I've actually looked at a coin in hand, I consider it sight unseen. There are too many things that can be hidden in photos.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

Unseen since lighting greatly affects the look of the coin. Certain lighting can be very deceptive.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2021 11:02AM
    Sight Seen.

Bad photos of a great coin equals a huge opportunity.

Great photos of a great coin equals very little opportunity.

My bread and butter.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 11:05AM

Depends on the seller and if I know the quality of his or her images.

Perhaps the option of sometimes or both should have been included.

• Options
    Sight Unseen.

this thread was prompted by that 1915 Buffalo GSC thread. understanding that, how can anyone claim to have "seen the coin" by looking at the picture?? to my way of thinking, the whole reason for any kind of return policy at any online venue is because a buyer needs to actually "see" the coin in order to make a final decision.

I would rather have no image and a worded description from someone I trust than an image from someone I don't know. images are routinely manipulated to hide something or accentuate something, sometimes both. understanding that, and not knowing what has been done to edit an image, how can you claim to actually "see" a coin because you see a picture of it??

BTW, please, no more grandchildren or Grand canyon comparisons. :s

• Options
    edited September 4, 2021 11:16AM
    Sight Seen.

Never saw the 1915 thread as I have zero interest in the series.
    OP Failed to mention that in the OP :s

So I stand by my statements.

If you see a photo you have seen the item unless of course digital manipulation has occurred, but I would consider that fraud.

• Options
    Sight Unseen.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

"Great" photos of a bad coin equals return hassle.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2021 11:21AM
    Sight Seen.

@CoinJunkie said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Why would you buy a bad coin?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

Sort of. Some pictures are better than others.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 12:20PM
    Sight Seen.

My understanding is that PCGS came up with the term "sight-unseen" and as long as it's in a PCGS holder it is considered "sight-seen"

In other words, the coin won't be net graded or what they now call details.

(Note...PCGS still does net grade some coins under unusual market circumstances)

https://www.pcgs.com/news/no-grade-coins-pt1

• Options
    Sight Unseen.

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Why would you buy a bad coin?

My point is that photos can make a coin with issues look great sometimes. That's why great was in quotes.

• Options

@ReadyFireAim said:
    My understanding is that PCGS came up with the term "sight-unseen" and as long as it's in a PCGS holder it is considered "sight-seen"

In other words, the coin won't be net graded or what they now call details.

(Note...PCGS still does net grade some coins under unusual market circumstances)

https://www.pcgs.com/news/no-grade-coins-pt1

There was an attempt to create a market based on TPG grades only, no image, but it never really took off.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 12:34PM
    Sight Seen.

I voted sight seen, but in reality it depends on the image. If it’s all blurry, or photoshopped too much, then it doesn’t really count as sight seen.

Also, since I became far sighted after cataract surgery, I often miss details of the coin if I buy it in person that I later see when I make an image of the coin.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

Photography can be used as a tool to hide flaws.

This can happen intentionally or unintentionally.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

After all the photographic analysis and various pictures of the same coin shown here (lighting, angles, focus), I would have to say, sight unseen. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

With that seller everything is sight unseen.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not assume that images are routinely manipulated.

A numismatist can become adept at reading unaltered images, and some will develop excellent skills and some will not.

If you know the seller or auction house is reputable then you need not worry about manipulation. Manipulation or extreme enhancement is a form of fraud.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Unseen.

I agree with those that say that "sight-seen" implies you personally saw the coin in hand. An image (or video) can be sufficiently close (and certainly better than just a description).

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    That term was generally used when putting together a deal. I'd purchase a coin based on the dealer's reputation (before photos were offered). There would be a bit of negotiation in the sense the price would be slightly lowered- possibly- if I bought the coin sight-unseen. Meaning I couldn't return the coin.
    If I did have full return privileges, it would be considered a sight seen transaction.

If the coin is offered with a full return option, it is a sight seen purchase (whether photos are used or not).
    if the coin is offered with no return option, it is. sight unseen purchase (whether photos are used or not.)

This. The terms are essentially irrelevant. Is there a return privilege or not? Wether I consider it sight seen or unseen is meaningless.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sight Seen.

I'm seeing it, just not all of it, so to speak. Internet images can't always capture luster/cartwheel, eye appeal, toning, etc.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jesusus - why the double post why the double post?????????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file