Options

20 Greatest Individual US Coins

Comments

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 5:44AM

My first five:

1. 1794 $1 SP66
    2. 1783 Plain Obverse Nova Constellatio Quint PCGS PR55 https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/985015/is-this-the-very-first-u-s-coin-1783-plain-obverse-nova-constellatio-quint
    3. Childs 1804 $1
    4. 1795 $5 BD-1 NGC MS66 - First US Mint gold coin, first die marriage, highest grade with fully prooflike fields and undoubtedly among the first few gold coins struck at the Mint https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-half-eagles/half-eagles/1795-5-small-eagle-bd-1-r5-ms66-ngc-pcgs-519849-/a/1216-4271.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
    5. 1822 $5 Pogue
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2021 7:39PM

I think that we are missing Territorials on the list, and I would nominate:

• 1855 proof Kellogg $50 is graded PCGS PR64 Cameo CAC, sold in 2020 by Whitter coins.
    • 1851 proof Humbert $50, likely owned by Augustus Humbert.

Both are $50’s in amazing condition. Both have the benefit of Humbert ownership in their provenance.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been wanting to contribute to this great idea for a thread. Here goes:

1. Brasher Doubloon (Garrett)
    2. 1804 $1 Childs
    3. J 1776
    4. 1794 $1 Cardinal Morelan
    5. 1792 half disme Cardinal
    6. 1822 $5
    7. 1838-O half Green Baldenhofer
    8. 1913 5C Eliasberg
    9. 1933 $20 Farouk
    10. Chain Cent "The Coin"
    11. 1860 Clark Gruber $20 (NGC 64*)("I" in 0)
    12. 1907 UHR Captain North plain edge
    13. 1861 Pacquet Norweb
    14. 1854-S 5$ Eliasberg
    15. 1808 quarter eagle Pogue
    16. 1894-S 10C Stack
    17. 1796 25C PC67
    18. 1885 Trade dollar Eliasberg
    19. 1876-CC 20C Battle Born
    20. 1838 10$ Proof Pittman

a few criteria: 1. No more than one per issue (so only one 1804 dollar). 2. Value 3. Rarity 4. Beauty 5 . Diversity across centuries, mints and face value.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 4:26PM

@RedCopper said:
    I would like to hear what John Albanese considers the 20 Greatest U.S.coins

I’d love to hear your top 20. :smile:

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    And it continues in operation today for the making of special "coins" such as the one below that was minted for me as I got to watch.

Just located this photo of the actual minting of the above pictured specimen. FWIW this particular one came out with an unusually amazing strike and the pictured mint building itself almost looks three dimensional. The coin press broke after my coin was struck and so no more could be minted after mine which was the last one until repairs were likely made in the following weeks. I have wondered if the force that led to the extra strong strike was somehow connected.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ttt after all the recent sales

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 10:34AM

I think I would put the finest 1876cc 20c over the 1927d see that you have a melt rarity in the 1933 sort of taking that spot and most of the 27d's are nice(ish).
    I also think the following for consideration for inclusion:
    1849-c MS63 PL Open Wreath 1$ Richmond Collection
    1856-o SP63 20$
    1870cc AU58 20$ NGC Stolen
    1861 MS67 Paquet Rev $20
    1848 Cal MS68 star $2 1/2

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

in terms of beauty its the 1907 Ultra High relief Saint Gardens

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@SmEagle1795 said:
    It's pretty remarkable that Heritage's top four US coins ever sold have sold within 2021:

Stack's is doing well for their top 4 as well. If only they auctioned the Farouk 1933 DE again this year.

• Options

While many of the top coin are among the most expensive, I personally don’t believe being more expensive makes one a top coin. just richer collectors targeting and more recent transactions.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    Otherwise known as a list of coins I’ll never be able to own.

But you can vicariously own several of them through TDN

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    While many of the top coin are among the most expensive, I personally don’t believe being more expensive makes one a top coin. just richer collectors targeting and more recent transactions.

There is correlation but much of it is to the holder label.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    A few of those are notoriously over graded

A couple aren't egregiously over-graded. That's a consoling thought :s

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using rare and great synonymous?

The word Great connotates to me that it was contributory to society at large. Coins that got us through Civil wars, World Wars, and that kept at least part of what we knew and loved and kept it rolling until we got to better times. Type Quarters and Halves to me represent "Greatness" from the perspective that they enabled commerce as intended during the "pre-electronic" times.

Please do not interpret this as derogatory, it just seems like for all the new collectors on the board I would hate for them to think their collections are not Great. Because they are. What they are not, is rare. Not the same as Great and using that language really bodes the concept that it does.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

No, because the rarest are not always the greatest, nor are the greatest always the rarest. In fact, the rarest are usually too esoteric to be the greatest.

Greatest is in the context of the ‘100 greatest us coins’ books. Enduring fame and desire from numismatists…nothing more, nothing less.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 12:35PM

Sort of a type set- 21 count but some with perhaps more potent "whatevers" that didn't matter so much to me.

Garrett Brasher 65 (unique stamp worth more)
    1849 $20
    KOS presentation set with box
    1794 $ SP66
    Childs 1804 $1 PR68

J-1776 - Locked up in an well-known Eastern trans-generational trust for the last 40 years
    Garrett-Pogue 1795 $10 MS66+
    Specimen Chain S-1
    1927-D $20 MS67
    Norweb Paquet $20 MS-67

Simpson 1804 $10 PR65DC
    Spellman-(Miller-Sear)-Tyrant 1838 $10 PR65 (ownership adds 7 or 8 positions for a coin most don't consider).
    Hayes-Pogue 1808 $2 1/2
    Pogue 1797 50c
    Garrett-Hayes-Pogue 1795 FH $1 SP66

Eliasberg 93 Liberty Cap
    Cardinal 1792 MS68 half disme
    Norweb 38-O 50c BMPR64
    1866 NM $1 Pr65CAM
    1894-S JAS-Smokerise 10c BMPR66

Eliasberg 1821 or 1822 25c PR67 - both are 2pts better on eye appeal and 1.25 better technically than the '27 Original

1913 5c, 1885 T$1 novodels not for me.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2021 1:12PM

I think the strawberry leaf large cent should also be considered. There are some coins that being pictured in earlier redbooks have made them way more relevant. The fine12 example might be a million dollar coin

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) 1870-S $3.00 gold
    2) 1822 $5.00 gold
    3) Garrett Brasher doubloon
    4) J-1776
    5) 1825/4 $5.00 gold Haseltine/Clapp/Eliasberg
    6) 1854-S $5.00 gold
    7) 1913 Liberty .05 (Hawaii 5-0 coin)
    8) Specimen chain cent PR67
    9) Childs 1804$1 PR68
    10) 1841 $2.50 gold proof 'The Little Princess' Smithsonian specimen

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    My list or rank would not be based upon specific coins in a particular quality.

But that’s the entire point of the thread. Specific coins of specific quality. Shrug

I'd still add the 1861 CSA half dollar and Garrett proof $50 slug. I consider all four CSA halves "greater" than most of the coins noted by anyone here. I know it technically isn't a US coin but then neither is the Brasher doubloon which is in my top five.

The ANS Confederate Half makes my top 10. The other three don’t come close.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@WCC said:

@tradedollarnut said:

But that’s the entire point of the thread. Specific coins of specific quality. Shrug

I'd still add the 1861 CSA half dollar and Garrett proof $50 slug. I consider all four CSA halves "greater" than most of the coins noted by anyone here. I know it technically isn't a US coin but then neither is the Brasher doubloon which is in my top five.

Guess I would have to see all four again, as I don't remember how all look. My recollection is one of the four is an XF but can't remember if it's the ANS. That's enough for me to still rank it first in US coinage, broadly defined.

• Options

@WCC said:

@MrEureka said:

@WCC said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Guess I would have to see all four again, as I don't remember how all look. My recollection is one of the four is an XF but can't remember if it's the ANS. That's enough for me to still rank it first in US coinage, broadly defined.

One is lower than XF, but the I believe that is the one traced to Jefferson Davis. The original CSA half’s are great coins

• Options
    edited September 1, 2021 5:51PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    No, because the rarest are not always the greatest, nor are the greatest always the rarest. In fact, the rarest are usually too esoteric to be the greatest.

Greatest is in the context of the ‘100 greatest us coins’ books. Enduring fame and desire from numismatists…nothing more, nothing less.

It would be useful to include the criteria used by the books.

I might use something like stack ranked most desired coins. If you could put together a list of coins and you would get them with an arbitrary cutoff you won’t know beforehand, how would you rank them.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

Thanks for the update. Just checked my list. Farouk-Weitzman 1933 DE is still number 1 :+1:

• Options

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Thanks for the update. Just checked my list. Farouk-Weitzman 1933 DE is still number 1 :+1:

Actually a fairly common rarity with a hugely expensive monetization certificate

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 6:26AM

@tradedollarnut said:

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Actually a fairly common rarity with a hugely expensive monetization certificate

Someone had a great quote above ;)

the rarest are not always the greatest, nor are the greatest always the rarest

For me, it’s not about monetization, it’s about enduring fame and place in history, including outside the coin community.

Of course, there are going to be differences in ranking as everyone is providing their lists and has differing criteria for their selection.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a 9 year old, I enjoyed reading about the story of the once ultra-rare 1903-O silver dollar! As a budding numismatist I was in awe that the once nearly unobtainable Morgan silver dollar was very obtainable.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2021 1:56AM

@TDN said:

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

It would be useful to include the criteria used by the books.

I might use something like stack ranked most desired coins. If you could put together a list of coins and you would get them with an arbitrary cutoff you won’t know beforehand, how would you rank them.

What is the listing in the latest edition of Ron Guth's and Jeff Garrett's "100 Greatest U.S. Coins?"

Here are the top 20 in the 2nd Edition beginning with the 1804 Capped Bust Silver Dollar as number one and ending with TDN's coin being a representative of the 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollars at number twenty.

1804 Capped Bust Silver Dollar
    1913 Liberty Head Nickel
    1933 Double Eagle
    1849 Double Eagle
    1907 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle
    1894-S Barber Dime
    1907 Indian Head Double Eagle Pattern
    1943 Bronze Cent
    1822 Half Eagle
    1885 Trade Dollar
    1872 Amazonian Gold Pattern Set
    1776 Continental Dollar
    1877 Half Union $50 Gold Coins (Type One)
    1909-S V.D.B. Lincoln Cent
    1793 Chain Cent
    1876-CC Twenty-Cent Piece
    1907 Ultra High Relief Peifort
    1792 Half Disme
    1838-O Half Dollar
    1794 Silver Dollar (Flowing Hair)

• Options

@Zoins said:

For me, it’s not about monetization, it’s about enduring fame and place in history, including outside the coin community.

You should take a survey of non-US collectors and I guarantee the results won't correspond to your sentiments. Outside of US coin collectors, maybe economic historians, physical metal buyers, and "Jeopardy" participants have any motive to know or care. No one else does or will.

It's no different with the vast majority of eight figure art objects. Pick a random one and ask this forum if they have heard of it. The answer will overwhelmingly be "no". The artists are usually a lot more famous than the artwork yet except for the most prominent, awareness of these people is still usually very low.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@MrEureka said:

@WCC said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Here's the ANS coin.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2021 3:54PM

“The ANS Confederate Half makes my top 10. The other three don’t come close.”

Andy. Don’t forget the Unique 1907 United States / Philippine (bi-National) Proof Peso. Could be in some collectors’ Top 6 or 8 US Classic rarities.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2021 5:10PM

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

You should take a survey of non-US collectors and I guarantee the results won't correspond to your sentiments. Outside of US coin collectors, maybe economic historians, physical metal buyers, and "Jeopardy" participants have any motive to know or care. No one else does or will.

I have low expectations which is why I like the 1933 DE. I think the the following coins will be better known:

• 1933 DE
    • 1913 Liberty Nickel
    • 1804 Dollar

Beyond that:

• Statehood Quarters

I should probably increase the ranking of the 1913 Liberty nickel and 1804 Dollar on my list :)

• Options

@wondercoin said:

Andy. Don’t forget the Unique 1907 United States / Philippine (bi-National) Proof Peso. Could be in some collectors’ Top 6 or 8 US Classic rarities.

Wondercoin

I don’t agree but I am not knocking the hustle

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 9:40PM

@MrEureka said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Fabulous coin, but not Top 20 in my book. Maybe not even top 100. But I might reconsider if I ever get to buy it. 😎

Ownership adds 80 points? :D

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 6:12PM

@MrEureka said:

@WCC said:

@MrEureka said:

@WCC said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Here's the ANS coin.

Nice coin.

It has the following provenance:

1. Benjamin Franklin Taylor, MD
    2. Ebenezer Locke Mason, Jr.
    3. J.W. Scott
    4. Thomas Lindsay Elder
    5. John Sanford Saltus, donates to ANS
    6. ANS

Here are some links:

• Options

Restrike? Pfffft

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 6:14PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Restrike? Pfffft

If you're referring to the Bonhams restrike link, that's just to provide the lot description which has a lot of history.

The ANS link above it is to the Saltus-ANS original specimen attributed to CSA coiner Dr. Benjamin Franklin Taylor.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any unique regular issue coins would occupy the top spots on my list.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 6:18PM

@koynekwest said:

Can any unique coin be considered a regular issue?

• Options

“I don’t agree but I am not knocking the hustle”

Crypto- No hustle intended (I heard Andy was the underbidder when JHF won the 1907 US Peso many years ago, which obviously might explain his drop of 80 or so points 😂). When JHF (who was the only collector ever to own both the finest known 1894-S Dime and the 1907 US Peso) commented on the two coins for a PCGS Article, I seem to recall him saying he was a bigger fan of the 1907 Peso (or something along those lines). That said- it is likely an under graded coin, which appears to knock it out of the running for a top slot! 😉 Carry on! Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Mmmmm. 94-S dimes….

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 6:32PM

@wondercoin said:
    Don’t forget the Unique 1907 United States / Philippine (bi-National) Proof Peso. Could be in some collectors’ Top 6 or 8 US Classic rarities.

Wondercoin

To be in the top, you not only need to be rare, but you need to be famous with a great story.

What's the story behind this coin?

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 6:46PM

@Crypto said:
    I think the strawberry leaf large cent should also be considered. There are some coins that being pictured in earlier redbooks have made them way more relevant. The fine12 example might be a million dollar coin

Is the origins of this still a mystery?

Did any of the founding fathers or their families have an affinity for strawberries?

Here's the TrueView for @DLHansen's PCGS VG10 BN, Ex. Lorin Gilbert Parmelee.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2021 7:34PM

@Zoins said:

@koynekwest said:

Can any unique coin be considered a regular issue?

To clarify, a coin of a regular design, like the 1870-S half dime and $3 gold.

• Options

Zoins- The phenomenon rise in the price of silver during the years 1905-1907 was, at the core, responsible for the creation of two Unique US Pesos struck in 80/20 silver and 90/10 silver by the US Mint. I believe you show the Coinfacts picture of the PCGS graded Gem quality 80/20 composition silver coin. The other Unique coin is part of the Manila Money Museum Coin display and a recent picture I received from an avid coin collector visiting the museum shows a very low quality example (one-sided, as the coin is displayed “flat” by the museum) of the 90/10 composition silver example.

The story of silver around this time period is a fascinating story in itself (I believe about 75% produced simply as a by-product of the mining of other metals, just a few companies running much of the silver smelting business of the world, methods of buying and selling silver at that time very unusual, etc). It is a very interesting story behind the creation of the Unique 1907 US Pesos that needs to be told one day in great detail ! Wondercoin.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we know whether the government has just "stored" the 10 Langbord specimens? Or is it possible they are now melted? The issue may have little effect on the value of the Farouk coin, but it would on its absolute rarity. Of course, Switt may or may not have had far more than ten coins.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeap since 19 of the 20 are in my collection! :D

@Zoins said:

@MrEureka said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Fabulous coin, but not Top 20 in my book. Maybe not even top 100. But I might reconsider if I ever get to buy it. 😎

Ownership adds 80 points? :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file