20 Greatest Individual US Coins

13»

Comments

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 10:58AM

@1northcoin said:
    @TDN said:
    Greatest is in the context of the ‘100 greatest us coins’ books. Enduring fame and desire from numismatists…nothing more, nothing less.

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    No, because the rarest are not always the greatest, nor are the greatest always the rarest. In fact, the rarest are usually too esoteric to be the greatest.

Greatest is in the context of the ‘100 greatest us coins’ books. Enduring fame and desire from numismatists…nothing more, nothing less.

It would be useful to include the criteria used by the books.

I might use something like stack ranked most desired coins. If you could put together a list of coins and you would get them with an arbitrary cutoff you won’t know beforehand, how would you rank them.

What is the listing in the latest edition of Ron Guth's and Jeff Garrett's "100 Greatest U.S. Coins?"

Here are the top 20 in the 2nd Edition beginning with the 1804 Capped Bust Silver Dollar as number one and ending with TDN's coin being a representative of the 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollars at number twenty.

1804 Capped Bust Silver Dollar
    1913 Liberty Head Nickel
    1933 Double Eagle
    1849 Double Eagle
    1907 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle
    1894-S Barber Dime
    1907 Indian Head Double Eagle Pattern
    1943 Bronze Cent
    1822 Half Eagle
    1885 Trade Dollar
    1872 Amazonian Gold Pattern Set
    1776 Continental Dollar
    1877 Half Union $50 Gold Coins (Type One)
    1909-S V.D.B. Lincoln Cent
    1793 Chain Cent
    1876-CC Twenty-Cent Piece
    1907 Ultra High Relief Peifort
    1792 Half Disme
    1838-O Half Dollar
    1794 Silver Dollar (Flowing Hair)

Anyone have a more recent edition and can report back whether the order of the top 20 has changed including additions or deletions? Particularly curious if TDN's 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar representative as a category at number 20 has moved up?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 9:10PM

@wondercoin said:
    Zoins- The phenomenon rise in the price of silver during the years 1905-1907 was, at the core, responsible for the creation of two Unique US Pesos struck in 80/20 silver and 90/10 silver by the US Mint. I believe you show the Coinfacts picture of the PCGS graded Gem quality 80/20 composition silver coin. The other Unique coin is part of the Manila Money Museum Coin display and a recent picture I received from an avid coin collector visiting the museum shows a very low quality example (one-sided, as the coin is displayed “flat” by the museum) of the 90/10 composition silver example.

The story of silver around this time period is a fascinating story in itself (I believe about 75% produced simply as a by-product of the mining of other metals, just a few companies running much of the silver smelting business of the world, methods of buying and selling silver at that time very unusual, etc). It is a very interesting story behind the creation of the Unique 1907 US Pesos that needs to be told one day in great detail ! Wondercoin.

It's a very interesting situation and worth learning about more.

The PCGS coin is in the Maharlika Collection:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/160572

Were any other US coins or patterns struck with .800 fine silver?

Perhaps @MrEureka would know?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Somewhere in the top dozen coins or so...

1976 Ty 2 Proof Silver Eisenhower Dollar Struck In Philadelphia (No S) Unique

Wondercoin

I agree. One of the most interesting U.S. coins ever found in a cash register!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2021 11:00PM

@CaptHenway said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

It's a fabulous coin but I'm not convinced yet as I haven't seen anyone place it on an explicit list.

I did ask @wondercoin for his list when he posted that. I'm still curious where it would rank on his list, along with the 1907 proof pesos which he hinted could have a higher ranking as a top 6 to 8.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2021 12:40AM

“It's a fabulous coin but I'm not convinced yet as I haven't seen anyone place it on an explicit list.

I did ask @wondercoin for his list when he posted that. I'm still curious where it would rank on his list, along with the 1907 proof pesos which he hinted could have a higher ranking as a top 6 to 8.”

Zoins: It’s too modern for this crowd! According to one major auction house, there were at least 4 buyers seriously interested in the coin a few years ago (when I was asked to consign it but passed) each in excess of $1,000,000. That’s before Ikes and moderns took off. Back when I got that estimate, a 1964 SMS Kennedy in SP67 was around a $20,000 coin. Now, it’s closer to $75,000. An SP68 Kennedy was closer to a $35,000-$40,000 coin. Now, it’s a $175,000 coin. I actually didn’t “hint” that the 1907 proof Peso was worth more than the only 1976 Ty 2 Proof Silver Dollar known to exist for the 200th Anniversary of the country as I believe the Ike is worth substantially more. But, I seldom discuss the Unique 1976 Proof Ike here as I recognize it is self-serving conversation. One day, some day, the sales price of the Ike will “do the talking”.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2021 1:28AM

@wondercoin said:
    “It's a fabulous coin but I'm not convinced yet as I haven't seen anyone place it on an explicit list.

I did ask @wondercoin for his list when he posted that. I'm still curious where it would rank on his list, along with the 1907 proof pesos which he hinted could have a higher ranking as a top 6 to 8.”

Zoins: It’s too modern for this crowd! According to one major auction house, there were at least 4 buyers seriously interested in the coin a few years ago (when I was asked to consign it but passed) each in excess of $1,000,000. That’s before Ikes and moderns took off. Back when I got that estimate, a 1964 SMS Kennedy in SP67 was around a $20,000 coin. Now, it’s closer to $75,000. An SP68 Kennedy was closer to a $35,000-$40,000 coin. Now, it’s a $175,000 coin. I actually didn’t “hint” that the 1907 proof Peso was worth more than the only 1976 Ty 2 Proof Silver Dollar known to exist for the 200th Anniversary of the country as I believe the Ike is worth substantially more. But, I seldom discuss the Unique 1976 Proof Ike here as I recognize it is self-serving conversation. One day, some day, the sales price of the Ike will “do the talking”.

Wondercoin

This thread is more fun if people post their lists, but it's okay if you don't feel the need. I will say that you have a respected opinion here.

It is amazing to see the strength in modern coins recently. I think it has to do with people coming of age with those coins becoming a force in collecting. I love reading about the strength of modern coins and have recently been amazed by this $105k proof error Ike.

It's okay to talk about and rank your own coin for me. It's a fabulous coin and you have a unique perspective on it. It's good for conversation and is actually what these forums are about (people talking about their coins). Here, the OP ranked his coins as well.

Also, it wasn't my goal to hint you indicated the 1907 Proof Peso is worth more than the 1976 No-S Proof Ike, I was just going by your direct posts. You could be indicating ranks for theoretically different people, but it's the only ranking info provided. Feel free to change your ranks :)

1976 No-S Proof Ike in Top 12

@wondercoin said:

1907 Proof Philippines Peso in Top 6 or 8

@wondercoin said:
    Don’t forget the Unique 1907 United States / Philippine (bi-National) Proof Peso. Could be in some collectors’ Top 6 or 8 US Classic rarities.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2021 3:07AM

Zoins: I have discussed the significance of the Unique 1976 Ty. 2 proof Silver Dollar (“No-S” Ike), and said I believe after an eventual sale, the coin will ultimately be recognized in the top 10-12 U.S. coins of all time.

Both the Ike and the ‘07 proof peso are unique twentieth Century coins, but the USPI coin has the additional significance and rarity of its bi-national origin.  

I think, in the years ahead, as we watch the USPI market continue to expand and outperform other series (coins in this series are already selling routinely for 5x-15x the Price Guide) the attention and value of the ‘07 proof peso will increase, relative to the Ike and the rest of the top dozen U.S. coins. 

I hesitate to rank these two coins in the top 10, or top 20 list, because, unlike the more accepted and publicized classic coins currently on the list, we are currently watching a growing awareness of the significance of the “No-S” Ike and the ‘07 proof peso.

The relative lack of awareness however, is why I feel the “No-S” Ike and the ‘07 proof peso have a much better potential for greater recognition, excitement and increased value than does most of the other coins on the list, and why these two coins are hard to place in the rankings at this time.

In a June, 2018 article published by my son Justin on the PCGS website entitled: “A Collector's Guide to U.S. Philippine Proof Pesos – An Analysis of Their Rarity and Relative Value” we find this very interesting passage (quoting JHF (RIP) who passed away just five months after this was published:

Renowned collector, “Just Having Fun”, who is the only person ever to have owned both an 1894-S Barber dime (the best known) and the unique 1907 Proof Peso, says, “the 1907 Proof Peso is the far more desirable of these two great rarities. Eight or nine 1894-S dimes exist and the design is nothing special. By contrast, the Proof Peso is unique, and far more beautiful. Yet the finest known 1894-S dime is worth well in excess of $2 million; while I recently sold the unique 1907 Proof Peso for less than half that amount.”

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

94-S dime. Mmmmmmmmm

• Options

Just as an aside, are any of the 1894-S Dimes actually "Proofs?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

It is a pattern coin that was successfully used as currency. How does this affect its desirability?

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Just as an aside, are any of the 1894-S Dimes actually "Proofs?"

I dunno but I wouldn’t call them that based upon submissions to the Assay Commission. But they do have lint marks. Probably similar to the 1838-O half…limited circulation strikes off of fresh dies.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2021 9:54AM

@tradedollarnut said:
    94-S dime. Mmmmmmmmm

Have you owned one or will you get one? I don’t recall seeing one with your provenance but I agree it’s a nice coin!

• Options
    edited September 5, 2021 10:01AM

CaptHenway: Like all of the top twenty coins there is an intriguing and exciting story behind the “No-S” Ike and it’s discovery. Few, if any, of the top twenty continue to bring out the excited interest from beyond the hobby as the “No-S” Ike does, as evidenced by the never-ending stream of correspondence I receive (mostly) from non-collectors who desire confirmation of their recent discovery of the second proof “No-S” Ike found in circulation. And, of course, to date, these non-collectors have universally found Mint State Ike dollars struck in Philadelphia that all lack an “S” mintmark.

Wondercoin

• Options
    edited September 5, 2021 12:28PM

@wondercoin said:
    Zoins: I have discussed the significance of the Unique 1976 Ty. 2 proof Silver Dollar (“No-S” Ike), and said I believe after an eventual sale, the coin will ultimately be recognized in the top 10-12 U.S. coins of all time.

Both the Ike and the ‘07 proof peso are unique twentieth Century coins, but the USPI coin has the additional significance and rarity of its bi-national origin.  

I think, in the years ahead, as we watch the USPI market continue to expand and outperform other series (coins in this series are already selling routinely for 5x-15x the Price Guide) the attention and value of the ‘07 proof peso will increase, relative to the Ike and the rest of the top dozen U.S. coins. 

I hesitate to rank these two coins in the top 10, or top 20 list, because, unlike the more accepted and publicized classic coins currently on the list, we are currently watching a growing awareness of the significance of the “No-S” Ike and the ‘07 proof peso.

The relative lack of awareness however, is why I feel the “No-S” Ike and the ‘07 proof peso have a much better potential for greater recognition, excitement and increased value than does most of the other coins on the list, and why these two coins are hard to place in the rankings at this time.

In a June, 2018 article published by my son Justin on the PCGS website entitled: “A Collector's Guide to U.S. Philippine Proof Pesos – An Analysis of Their Rarity and Relative Value” we find this very interesting passage (quoting JHF (RIP) who passed away just five months after this was published:

Renowned collector, “Just Having Fun”, who is the only person ever to have owned both an 1894-S Barber dime (the best known) and the unique 1907 Proof Peso, says, “the 1907 Proof Peso is the far more desirable of these two great rarities. Eight or nine 1894-S dimes exist and the design is nothing special. By contrast, the Proof Peso is unique, and far more beautiful. Yet the finest known 1894-S dime is worth well in excess of $2 million; while I recently sold the unique 1907 Proof Peso for less than half that amount.”

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

Thanks for the answer. It’s an interesting situation. It seems like we need realized prices to go up more before they are ranked? If so, perhaps it’s a dangerous area to rank right now given the following:

1. If ranked high without realized prices, one may lose reputation
    2. If ranked low, it may depress realized prices.

Then it seems like ranking could be more for coins with established, somewhat stable values.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare finish and rare date/mm are sort of two different categories. Patterns are often rare as hen’s teeth but not as desirable are part of the rev set. I concede what’s part of the rev set has a lot of wiggle room based on books and traditions. The peso isn’t really a US coin even if made in the USA during US occupation which hurts it a smidge too. They are already well promoted if conceptually worth 6 figures or more.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2021 8:45PM

In think pattern coins are actually special and often underappreciated. The 1794 no stars dollar is an example. The first design matching the 1794 no stars half dime in the Smithsonian. Only one of each of those two coin designs without stars exist as described in the law, which didn't include anything about stars. The reverse of the 1794 dollar is from the production die used for all 1794 dollar coinage. So it's arguably America's first dollar. Many other dollars have circled the world since then. This include the very interesting 1976 no S proof Ike. The proof Ike benefits by Legions of collectors of modern proofs. Many of whom don't think about the coin as a pattern.
    Vastly more collectors than would ever strive to collect a 1794 No Stars dollar.

So i consider both the No Stars 1794 half dime and 1794 dollar are key patterns and unique in design. I would put them in the top twenty. Outside of 1792 patterns, the 1794 No Stars Dollar is the tentpole of pre-1840 patterns.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Nova Constellatio patterns probably all belong on the list, but I'd hate to take up five spots for them.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@CaptHenway said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

It is a pattern coin that was successfully used as currency. How does this affect its desirability?

It doesn't, at least as far as I'm concerned. And I wouldn't be so quick to believe the story. Not that it matters.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2021 7:31PM

@MrEureka said:

@CaptHenway said:

@CaptHenway said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

It doesn't, at least as far as I'm concerned. And I wouldn't be so quick to believe the story. Not that it matters.

I'm not sure how accurate the story is matters. The story makes the coin famous. The 1894-S dime even has 2 ice cream stories.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    94-S dime. Mmmmmmmmm

Have you owned one or will you get one? I don’t recall seeing one with your provenance but I agree it’s a nice coin!

Mayyyyybeeeee

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    94-S dime. Mmmmmmmmm

Mayyyyybeeeee

Go for it!

It would be another top coin to add!

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@CaptHenway said:

@CaptHenway said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Well, FWIW, when it came in to Coin World in (without checking the Coin World Encyclopedia) 1977 I was the one who called the owner and got the story, and he sounded credible. The coin had some mishandling marks consistent with having been spent, which fortunately appear to have healed with time.

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

The greatest coin has got to be the 1933 DE. To me, greatest is a combination of fame, history, rarity, and desirability. The 1933 DE has all of that and more.

It's one of the most famous coin. Everyone's heard of the story about King Farouk and the export license, and the secret service sting. It's historic in that it's the last year of the most popular gold coin because FDR made gold illegal to own. There's about a dozen of these coins, but only 1 is legal for any person to own. So that makes it extremely rare. And because of that, everyone would want to own this coin being that it's the only one that is legal to own and has a monetization certificate to prove it.

I don't see how any other coin beats the 1933 DE as the greatest. Just my 2 cents.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2021 6:04AM

Neglected is the amazing pattern J-1776 $20 gold. Unique coin has the obverse of the Indian $10 and reverse of a $20 Saint. Incredible coin would bring $15-20 million for sure putting it as valuable as the 1933 double eagle .

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:
    Neglected is the amazing pattern J-1776 $20 gold. Unique coin has the obverse of the Indian $10 and reverse of a $20 Saint. Incredible coin would bring $15-20 million for sure putting it as valuable as the 1933 double eagle .

This coin has routinely been brought up as a contender for the most valuable coin, although as a pattern, I'm not sure it would eclipse the 1933 value. That being said, I don't think the 1933 or J-1776 are even close to the most valuable coin.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2021 7:03AM

@ianrussell said:

@Joey29 said:

This coin has routinely been brought up as a contender for the most valuable coin, although as a pattern, I'm not sure it would eclipse the 1933 value. That being said, I don't think the 1933 or J-1776 are even close to the most valuable coin.

• Ian

You can’t leave us on that type of cliff hanger, what are your thoughts for a contender if you can please?

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto
    I posted this on our website last week, which I guess is still a cliffhanger. I'm still working on the research.

From here:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/kb/The-Worlds-Most-Valuable-Coin-t426-4.html

The World's Most Valuable Coin? Posted Ian Russell on Sat, Aug 28, 2021 11:00:06 AM

As we just had three heavily armed security guards pack away the 1933 Saint-Gaudens from our display at the ANA World's Fair of Money, I started to think about what many people consider the most valuable coin.

Most consider it to be the 1933 Saint-Gaudens, and going by the world record auction price in 2002 of $7.59 million, and it's recent record-shattering $18.9 million realization in June, it's the easy answer that has auction records to back it up. Many people attended the ANA just to see the coin, and we're very grateful to the generous owner who allowed us to display it.

After the 1933 sold in 2002, many experts believed that a rare gold pattern would break the 1933 Saint record. The coin is the MCMVII (1907) Indian Head Double Eagle Pattern, also designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. It last sold for $475,000 in 1981 to a major collector on the East Coast who still owns it today.

Another contender is the 1804 King of Siam Set - which sold for $8.5 million in 2008 and currently is one of the many highlights of the Tyrant Collection. But this is a set of coins, and the two highest valued coins from the set combined equal about the 1933 Saint-Gaudens.

We should also consider if any foreign coins could take the prize, but no others have come close to the 8-figure mark in U.S. dollars.

I then think of my career goal - to unearth the Libertas Medal in gold. Just two were minted at Benjamin Franklin's request and given to Louis XVI and Queen Maria Antionette. Many believe they were melted in the aftermath of the French Revolution in 1789. We have multiple clients that would easily bid millions should one ever be discovered, but it's perhaps a stretch to believe it would realize over $20 million.

So, what do you consider the world's most valuable coin?

I can tell you my opinion, it's not the 1933 Saint-Gaudens, nor the Indian Head Gold Eagle Pattern. In fact, put them together, and you'd still be short.

PS. If anyone can locate an original Libertas Medal in gold, please call 1-800-442-6467 or e-mail me at ian@greatcollections.com. I'd love to hear from you!!

Happy Collecting!

Ian Russell
    President/Owner
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the risk of being snark! That's not a coin! o:)

@ianrussell said:
    @Crypto
    I posted this on our website last week, which I guess is still a cliffhanger. I'm still working on the research.

From here:

The World's Most Valuable Coin? Posted Ian Russell on Sat, Aug 28, 2021 11:00:06 AM

As we just had three heavily armed security guards pack away the 1933 Saint-Gaudens from our display at the ANA World's Fair of Money, I started to think about what many people consider the most valuable coin.

Most consider it to be the 1933 Saint-Gaudens, and going by the world record auction price in 2002 of $7.59 million, and it's recent record-shattering $18.9 million realization in June, it's the easy answer that has auction records to back it up. Many people attended the ANA just to see the coin, and we're very grateful to the generous owner who allowed us to display it.

After the 1933 sold in 2002, many experts believed that a rare gold pattern would break the 1933 Saint record. The coin is the MCMVII (1907) Indian Head Double Eagle Pattern, also designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. It last sold for $475,000 in 1981 to a major collector on the East Coast who still owns it today.

Another contender is the 1804 King of Siam Set - which sold for $8.5 million in 2008 and currently is one of the many highlights of the Tyrant Collection. But this is a set of coins, and the two highest valued coins from the set combined equal about the 1933 Saint-Gaudens.

We should also consider if any foreign coins could take the prize, but no others have come close to the 8-figure mark in U.S. dollars.

I then think of my career goal - to unearth the Libertas Medal in gold. Just two were minted at Benjamin Franklin's request and given to Louis XVI and Queen Maria Antionette. Many believe they were melted in the aftermath of the French Revolution in 1789. We have multiple clients that would easily bid millions should one ever be discovered, but it's perhaps a stretch to believe it would realize over $20 million.

I can tell you my opinion, it's not the 1933 Saint-Gaudens, nor the Indian Head Gold Eagle Pattern. In fact, put them together, and you'd still be short.

PS. If anyone can locate an original Libertas Medal in gold, please call 1-800-442-6467 or e-mail me at ian@greatcollections.com. I'd love to hear from you!!

Happy Collecting!

Ian Russell
    President/Owner

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    @Crypto

From here:

Happy Collecting!

Ian Russell
    President/Owner

Since the 1849 Double Eagle in the Smithsonian and/or its unknown location twin was not mentioned, that would have to be it by process of elimination. Value wise it was estimated by some as capable of bringing more at auction than the 1933 Double Eagle.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    CaptHenway: Like all of the top twenty coins there is an intriguing and exciting story behind the “No-S” Ike and it’s discovery. Few, if any, of the top twenty continue to bring out the excited interest from beyond the hobby as the “No-S” Ike does, as evidenced by the never-ending stream of correspondence I receive (mostly) from non-collectors who desire confirmation of their recent discovery of the second proof “No-S” Ike found in circulation. And, of course, to date, these non-collectors have universally found Mint State Ike dollars struck in Philadelphia that all lack an “S” mintmark.

Wondercoin

Was it really struck at Philadelphia or was it merely a case of a filled die making it a variety and not a regular issue?

• Options
    edited September 6, 2021 12:23PM

@ianrussell said:

I'm curious if you are thinking about a coin that is collectible, as in known specimen locations and in private hands?

Looking forward to your post.

If anyone can locate an original Libertas Medal in gold, please call 1-800-442-6467 or e-mail me at ian@greatcollections.com. I'd love to hear from you!!

Cue @ColonelJessup >:)

By the way, I did ask about this medal on these forums long time ago. No response yet!

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I nominate the Eliasberg 1796 no pole half cent, PCGS MS67RB. This coin is a national treasure.

• Options

@rays said:
    I nominate the Eliasberg 1796 no pole half cent, PCGS MS67RB. This coin is a national treasure.

*EAC VF25 :D

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Was it really struck at Philadelphia or was it merely a case of a filled die making it a variety and not a regular issue?

There are no other Variety Two silver clad Bicentennial dollars.

Having examined the piece in hand, I am confident that no mint mark was ever applied to this die. Whether it was struck in Philadelphia or San Francisco I cannot prove.

TD

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Let's not forget the real king of American coins; the nice AU 1964 clad quarter.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert

...And I was only half joking. Imagine what I could do if I went full bore!

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Did you know?:

The true story of the 1894-S Barber dime begins as it does for most regular issue United States Mint coins. After producing 2,491,401 dimes during calendar year 1893, the staff at the San Francisco Mint had every reason to believe that they would also be producing a generous number of dimes the following year. Indeed, the West Coast facility received five pairs of 1894-dated dime dies from the Philadelphia Mint in November of 1893, followed by another five pairs in January of 1894. As it turned out, however, 1894 was the second year in the serious economic depression that is known to history as the Panic of 1893. Affecting every sector of the United States' economy, the Panic of 1893 would last until 1897. By 1894 the economy had already shrunk to the point where there was little need for new circulating coinage and, indeed, nearly half of the year passed with the dime presses in the San Francisco Mint remaining idle.

On April 7, 1894, the sub-treasury in San Francisco delivered to the Mint nearly $1 million in uncurrent and/or damaged coins. This was normal procedure for all United States mints at the time; the coins that they received in that manner were eventually melted and struck into new coins. According to Richard G. Kelly and Nancy Y. Oliver in the reference Gold In His Veins: The story of John Daggett, Early California Mine Owner, Mint Master, Lieutenant Governor & More:

"The uncurrent coinage included: $524,000 in half dollars, $273,000 in quarters, $40 in twenty cent pieces, $201,230 in dimes, $1,225 in half dimes, and $5.00 in three cent pieces. Later, the transfer amount in coin was found to be slightly more than previously noted, as $23.50 more of half dollars, and $6.50 in quarters were added. Beginning some time in May or early June, this mass of 'unacceptable' silver coin was melted, made into silver bars, which were eventually made into new silver coin of most denominations. It is assumed that at least dollars, halves, and quarters were made from the reprocessed silver, but after all was said and done, there was still a small portion of silver bullion left."

This "small portion" is highly significant for the story of the 1894-S dime, for it is the silver from which these rare coins were eventually struck.

Confirmation of both the recoinage process and the 24-coin mintage of the 1894-S dime is provided by San Francisco Mint Chief Clerk Robert Barnett, who provided the following information to a reporter for the San Francisco Bulletin in October of 1895:

"All undercurrent subsidiary coins, viz., those containing other than the design now being used when received at the sub-treasury, are not again allowed to go into circulation, but are sent to the mint to be recoined with the current design. In the course of the year 1894 we received a large sum in these coins, but having an ample supply of dimes on hand, it was not intended to coin any of that denomination in 1894.

"However, when nearly all of this subsidiary coin bullion had been utilized, we found on our hands a quantity that would coin to advantage only into dimes and into dimes it was coined, making just twenty-four of them."

Despite his official title of chief clerk, Barnett was actually serving as the acting superintendent of the San Francisco Mint in 1894. The actual superintendent, John Daggett, was kept from fulfilling his duties for much of the year due to frequent bouts of sciatica, as well as trips to check on mines in which he had financial interests and other reasons. Barnett, therefore, was the one person at the San Francisco Mint in 1894 who would know better than anyone how many 1894-S dimes were struck and the circumstances under which they were produced.

Two pieces of official correspondence from Acting Superintendent Barnett to other Mint officials on the East Coast confirm that the staff in San Francisco followed the normal procedure at the time regarding the assay of coins struck in the various United States mints. The first letter, dated June 9, 1894, is from Barnett to Director of the Mint Robert Preston in Washington, D.C. As presented in Kevin Flynn's 2005 reference The 1894-S Dime: A Mystery Unraveled:

"June 9th 1894.

"Hon. R.E. Preston

"Director of the Mint

"Washington, D.C

"Sir:-

"I forward to your address to-day per registered mail one dollar and seventy cents, in coins reserved for Special Assay, taken from deliveries of this date, as follows, viz:-

"Del. No.77. Two (2) Half Dollars = $1.00

''[Del. No.]78 Two (2) Quarter .50

"[Del. No.]79 Two (2) Dimes .20

"$1.70

"Respectfully yours,

"Robt. Barnett

"Acting Superintendent"

The second letter is dated June 28, 1894, again from Barnett, but this time to the superintendent of the Philadelphia Mint. A copy of this letter is also presented in Flynn's reference:

"June 28th 1894.

"Supt. U.S. Mint.

"Philadelphia, Pa.

"Sir:-

"I forward to your address to-day per Wells Fargo [illegible] Express a box containing the following gold and silver coins reserved for annual assay from the coinage executed by this Mint during the quarter ending June 30th 1894 - viz:-

"265 Double Eagles value $5300.00

"460 Half Dollars [value] 230.00

"789 Quarter [Dollars value] 197.25

"1 Dimes [value] .10

"$5727.35

"Respectfully yours,

"Robt. Barnett

"Acting Superintendent"

The first letter confirms that the 1894-S dimes were struck on June 9, 1894, and both letters confirm that three specimens were taken for assay and shipped to the East Coast for that purpose. As related above in Edgar H. Adam's column for the New York Sun, Weigher Frank C. Berdan obtained two of the 1894-S dimes in exchange for two older dimes "merely from a desire to possess the first specimens that had come from the dies of this denomination for the year." The remaining 19 coins were forwarded to Chief Coiner Charles Gorham who, according to Farran Zerbe, may also have acquired a couple of examples for himself. The additional pieces were unceremoniously placed into a bag of earlier dated dimes and released into circulation, the entire 24-coin mintage having been recorded in Mint records and eventually listed in the Report of the Director of the Mint for 1895 in the table on pages 212 to 213.

As June 1894 passed into July, Mint personnel in San Francisco had no idea that they had inadvertently created a rarity in the 1894-S dime. The staff at the West Coast mint struck these coins with the belief that additional dime coinage would be required during the second half of 1894. As it turned out, however, no more coinage for this denomination was achieved before the end of 1894, leaving a mintage of just 24 coins for the 1894-S. The net mintage is 21 coins after three examples were forwarded to the East Coast for assay. A small number (at least the two coins acquired by Weigher Frank C. Berdan) were obtained by San Francisco Mint employees, while the remaining examples were released into circulation.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2021 8:35AM

I believe that the net mintage is indeed 24, from a gross mintage of 27, with two being sent for immediate Special Assay (checking the weight and fineness of each batch of coins before releasing it, lest inferior coins reach circulation) and one being sent to the traditional Annual Assay held in February of the following year.

See the article that Dan Owens and I published in The Numismatist (July 2019) on the non-existent 1873-S Seated dollars for our interpretation of how newly struck coins were processed.

TD

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

Plus two “in house” 1894-S Barber dimes assay coins

June 25th 1894

$250.70 Received of Jesse S. Wall, Cashier Two hundred and fifty 70/100 dollars, in Special Assay from the gold and silver coins reserved for that purpose from the June 1894 coinages, as follows:
    12 Double Eagles Value $240.00
    16 Half Dollars 8.00
    10 Quarters 2.50
    2 Dimes. .20
    $250.70
    Robt. Barnett
    Acting Superintendent

• Options

The 1849-C Open Wreath gold dollar seems to be underappreciated for its rarity. I guess that is because there is the Close Wreath variety as an alternative for those who just want the date and mint mark.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭

one of the AU 1802 half dimes

• Options

@tcollects said:
    one of the AU 1802 half dimes

That is a very good nominee, I hadn’t thought of

@CaptHenway
    I agree the 1849-c MS63 PL Open Wreath 1$ From the Richmond Collection should be on the list. As well as

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

MS68 RD wreath cent

Any idea where one might be able to see even a photo of this beast?

• Options

@zas107 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

MS68 RD wreath cent

I haven't been able to find one and I've been looking recently after I picked up my Ron Landis Strawberry Cents:

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

MS68 RD wreath cent

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2021 2:23PM

I've seen some of those when Jay Parrino used to bring them to Long Beach in the late '90's . I never thought the 68RED Wreath (Atwater) was accurately graded. It's not red.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Ttt after all the recent sales

How many of those listed have you or Legend never owned? and if there are any, are they on your todo list?

• Options
    edited September 11, 2021 6:27PM

@davewesen said:

@tradedollarnut said:
    Ttt after all the recent sales

How many of those listed have you or Legend never owned? and if there are any, are they on your todo list?

I personally have owned 6 on that list. Legend has handled those 6 plus another 7 for other clients.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file