Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does putting insurance on your coin parcel really say "steal me?"

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last package with coin in it that I attempted to receive but didn't because the item was stolen while in the custody of USPS was not insured for extra $ over and above the $50 insurance included in Priority mail. Nothing on the package screamed, "VALUABLES INSIDE! I KNOW the item was stolen.

So what you all think? Does putting insurance on mailed item for full retail value of the item scream, "STEAL ME?"

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it does

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you "KNOW" it was stolen?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

That why you should over insure your raw coins. If the coin is an AU coin, value it as an MS63 coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 8:51AM

Thank you all for your answers.

I know the item was stolen because when I opened the Priority box with one end a mess, the inner envelope the coin was shipped in had been neatly slit with a tool, like a scissors. The sender is above reproach. Sender tells me he will no longer send uninsured and signature will be required. I will do the same unless I figure out something more clever to thwart mail thievery.Perry Hall and Keets, good suggestions.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 8:58AM

Years ago, when I sent my Barber dime collection to a dealer to purchase, I sent the set Registered Insured. I would guess Registered Insured might scream "STEAL ME! (but you better not, bozo)." Theft of mail is a felony. How wonder how many PO employees are aware of this?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

The smart approach is to double box and use private insurance, you cannot completely stop mail theft but there are ways to mitigate the risk.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I sold some Britannia gold some years back, I shipped Registered/insured, and in a box about 10x12 inches. Stuffed with paper and bubble wrap to ensure no internal movement. No problem at all. Would do it again. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

We ship coins all the time. Always using Private Insurance and either FedEx or USPS, and nothing on the shipping box that would make anyone think "valuable." Have we lost a few? Yes. Were we covered, yes. That's why we buy the insurance, so we don't have to worry about stuff like this.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭

I cringe at the idea of sending a valuable coin, fully insured, via registered mail as I have to tell the clerk the value of the contents,

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

I asked for advice at my Post Office about insurance. I was told they will NOT honor a claim for lost or stolen coins and currency with the normal add-on insurance, for example with Priority Mail. They said the only way to buy insurance for rare coins is to step up to Registered mail, but that costs much more and is very slow. They might have mentioned something about private insurance as well. I always ship in a small box rather than an envelope.

Matt Snebold

• Options
    micotumicotu Posts: 58 ✭✭

I sent some SAEs to Pinehurst a while back. I did not like that they told me to address it to Pinehurst Coins...

• Options

The smart approach is to double box and use private insurance,

Where does one go to get private insurance? Sounds expensive...

• Options

@mr1874 said:

Actually it's much cheaper typically! The USPS rate is very high. :)

Coin insurers like Hugh Wood have a policy for shipping that you can probably acquire if you have an insurance policy with them for your collection / but definitely you can if you're a dealer.

Shipandinsure is another common site that lets you insure packages on the side as well, though they do have some restrictions on the packaging/sending so be sure to take a look if you use them, think there's a discount for ANA members.

• Options

I think ALL priority packages should be weighed and the weight indicated in the tracking information. Weigh the package at point of mailing. Weigh the package at destination. Compare the two weights. Discrepency is investigated by Post Office authorities. Unless PO takes some measure to thwart thievery in its ranks, I see the problem getting worse.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to lose well under 1% of uninsured packages and nearly 2% of insured ones.

I've always suspected that a lot of lost packages were delivered to the "wrong" person. Either they were delivered to someone who opened and kept it only if insured or the recipient got hold of it without signing for it and was dishonest. I think this because most of the uninsured packages that were "lost" were sent to people I had little reason to trust or some reason not to trust.

I'm guessing most "lost" packages were actually delivered but insured ones sent to the wrong person were far less likely to be rerouted than uninsured ones. No doubt the rare postal employee stealing packages goes after the insured ones.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2021 10:17AM

Based on strong evidentiary indicators, my mail carrier has been ruled out as taking the coin I was to receive as his own. The private insurer pool number does not appear to be large.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:

Where you get it depends on how much you ship, but I get mine as a rider on my dealer policy. I pay far less for the whole policy (which covers everything, not just shipping) than I would just buying insurance through the USPS, and I don't have to worry about the extra complications of international insurance or if I use FedEx (rarely do) that they don't cover coins. Except for international packages (which have a customs form) there's nothing indicating any value on anything I send out. In fact, I have "PHOTOGRAPHS: DO NOT BEND" on my shipping labels just to make everything I ship look even more worthless.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@jackpine20 said:
    I asked for advice at my Post Office about insurance. I was told they will NOT honor a claim for lost or stolen coins and currency with the normal add-on insurance, for example with Priority Mail. They said the only way to buy insurance for rare coins is to step up to Registered mail, but that costs much more and is very slow. They might have mentioned something about private insurance as well. I always ship in a small box rather than an envelope.

The advice you were given was... poor.

4.0 Claims
    4.1 Payable Claim
    Insurance for loss or damage to insured, COD, or Registered Mail within the amount covered by the fee paid, or the indemnity limits for Priority Mail, or Priority Mail Express (under 4.2), is payable for the following:

For stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value; the fair market value is determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors’ newsletters and trade papers. The date of the fair market value determination must be current and prior to the mailing date.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

Thank you, @MasonG ! I bookmarked the link. ^^^^ It is very informative.

Matt Snebold

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I either go with no insurance and lots of tape or a little insurance that says not worth getting fired or going to jail and lots of tape. Never in a small package that can hide under a coat.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Thank you all for your answers.

I know the item was stolen because when I opened the Priority box with one end a mess, the inner envelope the coin was shipped in had been neatly slit with a tool, like a scissors. The sender is above reproach. Sender tells me he will no longer send uninsured and signature will be required. I will do the same unless I figure out something more clever to thwart mail thievery.Perry Hall and Keets, good suggestions.

Have you reported it to postal inspectors?
    I'm not saying you, I dont know you, but people can damage and claim package was opened after they receive it themselves. The carrier or clerk should've scanned it damaged? Did they? If not call the Postmaster and ask why it wasn't scanned damaged. Do not speak to anyone else except the Postmaster. Also, file a complaint online. That way it will also be seen by people above the Postmaster. I worked for the post office for 31 years. Coming on here complaining gets NOTHING done to weed out the bad employees, which every profession has BTW.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

All my packages which are trackable show the weight on the receipt I get from the Post Office. I always hand deliver all my shipments to the Post Office and get a receipt. I figure that's 1 less step of risk when shipping.

@mr1874 said:
    I think ALL priority packages should be weighed and the weight indicated in the tracking information. Weigh the package at point of mailing. Weigh the package at destination. Compare the two weights. Discrepency is investigated by Post Office authorities. Unless PO takes some measure to thwart thievery in its ranks, I see the problem getting worse.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:

As someone already posted there are a couple of options, I use ship and insure. They have discounts on FedEx shipping and the insurance rates are much lower than USPS rates, in addition this insurance will cover numismatic items unlike the USPS insurance.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2021 11:10AM

All insurance guys are rich as they play the odds.

Because I know this, I self insure 99.9% of my parcels.

I may buy insurance for a 10K coin, but would never buy insurance for 10 separately mailed 1K coins.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    That why you should over insure your raw coins. If the coin is an AU coin, value it as an MS63 coin.

How would you prove to the USPS that any value or grade, for that matter, of a raw coin to be correct?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:

@PerryHall said:

How would you prove to the USPS that any value or grade, for that matter, of a raw coin to be correct?
    Jim

With an invoice.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    in addition this insurance will cover numismatic items unlike the USPS insurance.

USPS insurance covers numismatic items.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Waste of money. You will only get the market value of the item at grade, and if a value guide needs to be consulted they will use the cheapest published number they can find. Just because you insure a $500 item for $2000 doesn't mean you get $2000 if it's lost or stolen. You only get enough to be made whole. OR their definition of whole, if you don't have invoices etc. to show what was paid.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely like a small package enclosed in a big box idea.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    All insurance guys are rich as they play the odds.

Because I know this, I self insure 99.9% of my parcels.

I may buy insurance for a 10K coin, but would never buy insurance for 10 separately mailed 1K coins.

I'm sure your statement must be accurate, since you didn't exaggerate - not even a little bit. Surely, all insurance guys are rich.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Years ago, when I sent my Barber dime collection to a dealer to purchase, I sent the set Registered Insured. I would guess Registered Insured might scream "STEAL ME! (but you better not, bozo)." Theft of mail is a felony. How wonder how many PO employees are aware of this?

ALL Postal employees are very well aware of this.

• Options

@PhillyJoe said:
    I cringe at the idea of sending a valuable coin, fully insured, via registered mail as I have to tell the clerk the value of the contents,

Registered mail is extremely secure. I've never had a problem with Registered mail in over 40 years. If it goes missing the last person to sign for it is fully responsible. This is another fact that Postal employees are well aware of.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i asked a postal employee about it one day and she said most postal employees don't even look at how much insurance is on the package, or they don't care

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jesbroken said:

@PerryHall said:

Jim

With an invoice.

That's fine for sold items, but what about for items being sent for grading?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jesbroken said:

@PerryHall said:

Jim

With an invoice.

Jim

Did you not buy it at some point? Have a receipt?

I do not know the USPS policy on a raw coin found in the wild that is worth way more than face.

• Options

@jesbroken said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jesbroken said:

@PerryHall said:

Jim

With an invoice.

Jim

Properly insure the items. For anything of high value Registered/insured is a must!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never understood why we have to pay insurance to the people handling our packages to insure it FROM THEM.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    USPS insurance covers numismatic items.

It is important to be mindful of the distinction between coins of "numismatic value" and 'currency/bullion'.

4.1.m - "Except for Registered Mail, the maximum indemnity for negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion, is $15.00."
    Link

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jesbroken said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jesbroken said:

@PerryHall said:

Jim

With an invoice.

Jim

I do not know the USPS policy on a raw coin found in the wild that is worth way more than face.

Then you would value all of your coins sent to be graded as your cost? Even so with graded coins? Ever cherry pick an error coin or doubled die coin and value it at its cost for insurance purposes?
    Jim

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently shipped seven MS67 coins to another member for consideration in his buying them. The tracking said it was delivered to person. He said he hadn't received it. At this point I was worried. The person found the package lying out on his front porch. What if somebody had swiped it from his porch before he had found it. It was insured but as far as the USPS was concerned it had been delivered to a person. How would somebody ever be able to collect on a claim like this if it had disappeared???

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    How would somebody ever be able to collect on a claim like this if it had disappeared???

They wouldn't be able to.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 1:04PM

@jesbroken said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jesbroken said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jesbroken said:

@PerryHall said:

Jim

With an invoice.

Jim

Then you would value all of your coins sent to be graded as your cost? Even so with graded coins? Ever cherry pick an error coin or doubled die coin and value it at its cost for insurance purposes?
    Jim

I do not know the answer to that and wondered the same thing.

I can speculate .... A high end photo with a statement from an expert on valuation. Who qualifies as an expert?

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Ever cherry pick an error coin or doubled die coin and value it at its cost for insurance purposes?

Take a picture of the coin before you put it in the mail.

For stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value; the fair market value is determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors’ newsletters and trade papers.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does putting insurance on your coin parcel really say "steal me?"
    IMO, yes.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the past 40 years, I have sent and received SEVERAL HUNDRED Registered and Insured packages via the USPS. Yes, it's slow (one took 17 days to get from New York to Oklahoma) but, without exception, every package always arrived safe and sound.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭

I think the PO is completely different from what it was just a few years ago. Like most businesses.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file