Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does putting insurance on your coin parcel really say "steal me?"

2»

Comments

• Options
    KeshequaKeshequa Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I may buy insurance for a 10K coin, but would never buy insurance for 10 separately mailed 1K coins.

There is a pool of eBay buyers just waiting for you.

Buying and Selling coins for 54 years, 700+ shows in last 20 years, and boy am I tired.
    Purchased and Trademarked the Mohawk Valley Hoard
    Originated the Rochester (NY) Area Coin Expo

• Options

Yes .

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another memory lane post. Good thing I can still remember.

I shipped a coin, this year, sold through E-Bay, registered from NYC to Phoenix AZ.

After 10 days the buyer opened a claim (about 2000 feedbacks) and the tracking last read, "stuck in Jamaica". I opened a claim with the PO. Within a day, the PO sent me an e-mail indicating that the coin was "in transit to the buyer. He/she closed the claim. About 2 days later I opened another claim when I didn't see any movement from, "stuck in jamaica". This time the researcher called me to let me know the coin was on it's way to Calif, then Phoenix. The second inquiry was accurate as The coin was delivered to the buyer 2 days later.

I am now thinking about writing a screenplay called.... Stuck in Jamaica. Double Eagle will play the leading role.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jkrk said:
    I am now thinking about writing a screenplay called.... Stuck in Jamaica. Double Eagle will play the leading role.

Check the USPS website regarding your (not USPS's) ability to track registered mail. :)

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to lose well under 1% of uninsured packages and nearly 2% of insured ones.

This experience would indicate that an insured package is at least twice as likely to be stolen as an uninsured one.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@koynekwest said:

@ms70 said:
    I never understood why we have to pay insurance to the people handling our packages to insure it FROM THEM.

You seem to imply that Postal employees are just sitting there waiting to steal your package. I've said it before and I'll say it again-theft within the Postal Service is very rare. They are not a bunch of thieves. They undergo background checks and are observed continuously while at work. I'm a Postal retiree and I kinda resent being called a thief.

You are correct. A dealer friend of mine who was also a postal security person told me that they go so far as to track stamp values sent to POs when shortages are noticed. He also sent everyone in a mad dash when he triggered an investigation for me of 6 gold pandas sent registered (but underinsured) which went missing. Eventually found laying in a safe in a Newark facility. Not sure if it was meant to be ‘forgotten’ about or not. But, it was found. People sweated when he got involved.

Buying and Selling coins for 54 years, 700+ shows in last 20 years, and boy am I tired.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2021 1:51PM

Have you reported it to postal inspectors?
    I'm not saying you, I dont know you, but people can damage and claim package was opened after they receive it themselves. The carrier or clerk should've scanned it damaged? Did they? If not call the Postmaster and ask why it wasn't scanned damaged. Do not speak to anyone else except the Postmaster. Also, file a complaint online. That way it will also be seen by people above the Postmaster. I worked for the post office for 31 years. Coming on here complaining gets NOTHING done to weed out the bad employees, which every profession has BTW.

Yes. Reported to postal inspectors. I would be willing to take lie detector test.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what a good camera system with cloud back up is good for!

@gumby1234 said:
    I recently shipped seven MS67 coins to another member for consideration in his buying them. The tracking said it was delivered to person. He said he hadn't received it. At this point I was worried. The person found the package lying out on his front porch. What if somebody had swiped it from his porch before he had found it. It was insured but as far as the USPS was concerned it had been delivered to a person. How would somebody ever be able to collect on a claim like this if it had disappeared???

• Options

Yes they do. The one big package I had stolen resulted in jail time for the employee that stole it. Unfortunately Covid got her released from jail early. I was notified and learned who the thief was as by law they had to notify me of the early release!

@koynekwest said:

@ms70 said:
    I never understood why we have to pay insurance to the people handling our packages to insure it FROM THEM.

You seem to imply that Postal employees are just sitting there waiting to steal your package. I've said it before and I'll say it again-theft within the Postal Service is very rare. They are not a bunch of thieves. They undergo background checks and are observed continuously while at work. I'm a Postal retiree and I kinda resent being called a thief.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    I recently shipped seven MS67 coins to another member for consideration in his buying them. The tracking said it was delivered to person. He said he hadn't received it. At this point I was worried. The person found the package lying out on his front porch. What if somebody had swiped it from his porch before he had found it. It was insured but as far as the USPS was concerned it had been delivered to a person. How would somebody ever be able to collect on a claim like this if it had disappeared???

The key is "The tracking said it was delivered to person." The postal worker needs to obtain a signature. Sometimes the postal worker will sign for the recipient which puts the postal worker at risk. Thus, knowledgeable postal workers will decline to do this. in my mind, the only safe exception to this would be if the "package" was delivered to a secure lockbox.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan The package wasn't signed for unless a postal person did it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Insure package with 1 troy ounce of dry ice inside for $2000. They weigh it at origin. They weigh it at destination and it is 1 troy ounce less weight. Collect insurance. Repeat. Go to jail.

^This gives me a chuckle. Thank you. :p

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

@ms70 said:

It's not "very rare" by any means and there's plenty of posts in just this forum that point to that as well. I don't know where you live but if only you could come visit the crap show at my local PO. I've had stuff go missing before including a registered package. I also posted here about my carrier driving around with a registered package (a coin) for two days and denying he had it even though it was marked "Out for Delivery". It wasn't until I went to the PO and caused a crapstorm did I get the package. At first the boss said it wasn't there and tried to cover for the carrier. Guess where it ultimately was? On the truck with the carrier. I tracked him down in the neighborhood and he had to admit it but said he didn't know it was on the truck. So much for paying for all the special accountability registered supposedly has.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering how many packages are handled every day I will stand by my comment. I worked there for 33 years and I can tell you theft is very rare. If you have problems at your local Post Office go to the Postmaster to get them resolved. If you get no satisfaction at that level you can go higher up.

Where is your Post Office located? The one I worked at in Akron Ohio was well run.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Considering how many packages are handled every day I will stand by my comment. I worked there for 33 years and I can tell you theft is very rare. If you have problems at your local Post Office go to the Postmaster to get them resolved. If you get no satisfaction at that level you can go higher up.

Where is your Post Office located? The one I worked at in Akron Ohio was well run.

PM sent.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Just have been dealing with an insurance claim with USPS for over 1 year. I am now appealing with the USPS consumer advocate. Countless hours of aggravation, dealing with incompetence, a very bad experience. Insurance claim for 300 bucks on a collectible that was sold on the bay, all backup info, everything provided to the USPS—multiple times. What was missing was a postal employee not filing one form. They allow incompetent employees to continue to work in these roles and collect pensions.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

I am at the point of going to my local magistrate and filing a claim against the USPS—-and let those incompete fools show up and spend some time at the courthouse defending their policy.
    At least in my state I can actually file that claim for $50 or less and they will be served.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

With respect to the original question, I have also always thought a large insurance value on the package would make it a target. I’ve also wondered about shipping to certain addresses. It’s not hard to identify if a package is being sent to PCGS, NGC, or CAC for example. Wouldn’t packages shipped to (or from) those addresses be prime targets?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen a label with the insured value on it.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@micotu said:
    Insure package with 1 troy ounce of dry ice inside for $2000. They weigh it at origin. They weigh it at destination and it is 1 troy ounce less weight. Collect insurance. Repeat. Go to jail.

Of course you go to jail… that’s hazardous or potentially hazardous and you didn’t declare it to the clerk!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2022 11:34AM

Deleted

• Options

Come to think of it, I haven't either.

• Options

A small package that normally cost $8 with $18 postage is easily recognized as having $1000 of insurance coverage.

.So, that answers the important question one might have, how can the package scream "Steal Me!" The Priority package I was to receive had no additional insurance above the $50 coverage that comes with the service that's why it baffles me that this even happened. Does PO have xray scanning equipment that can identify shapes of items in boxes and envelopes?

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

No, I don’t think they expressly state the value. But I believe when printing the label it shows the full postage cost including insurance. So it is easy to see that a lot if money is being paid for insurance if it is an otherwise inexpensive parcel to ship.

• Options

But I believe when printing the label it shows the full postage cost including insurance. So it is easy to see that a lot if money is being paid for insurance if it is an otherwise inexpensive parcel to ship.

Maybe that should change. Probably send the old PO computers into a tailspin however is why putting fake cost on label isn't done.

• Options

@savitale said:

@MasonG said:

No, I don’t think they expressly state the value. But I believe when printing the label it shows the full postage cost including insurance. So it is easy to see that a lot if money is being paid for insurance if it is an otherwise inexpensive parcel to ship.

When printing a label you have the option of not showing the amount of postage or whether or not it's insured. I always choose those options.

• Options

Interesting options. I have never been asked at the PO whether I want the amount of postage showing or not, however.

• Options

I print my labels at home for all but Registered. I would think that these options would be available at the window, too.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I print my labels at home for all but Registered. I would think that these options would be available at the window, too.

Hidden postage isn’t an option at the counter. It works at home because there’s a barcode in the postage area with everything encoded. So it’s there, just not in digits.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

Thanks for the info. Now I know.

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2022 11:36AM

Deleted

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @DisneyFan The package wasn't signed for unless a postal person did it.

My regular postal people do it all the time. I must live in a safe neighborhood and have an honest face. : )

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 10:00PM

@micotu said:

You would have to LIE to the Post Office in several ways to do this because they ask you on every package. "Does it contain anything liquid, fragile, hazardous or perishable"? I think dry ice would check at least 2 of these boxes,,,,, probably 3 of them. ;)

GrandAm :)
  • Options

I never show the postage amount on my packages...but there are a few ways to tell. Anything with insurance will have insured written on it. Anything insured for over $600.00 will show signature tracking.

• Options
    Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2021 5:43AM

I have shipped out a few coins. The more valuable ones i shipped registered mail with insurance. Yes its more expensive and slower but no failures so far. Registered mail gets treated with extra care because it is handled and signed for by a person each step of way. If something would ever happened it would be easier to figure out where the issue occurred. Very few post office employees steal but there are always exceptions to the rule.

• Options
    edited August 27, 2021 6:06AM

You would have to LIE to the Post Office in several ways to do this because they ask you on every package. "Does it contain anything liquid, fragile, hazardous or perishable"? I think dry ice would check at least 2 of these boxes,,,,, probably 3 of them.

They don't ask question about liquid, fragile, hazardous or perishable in the package at my PO. If they don't ask, there can be no LIE.

• Options

@MasonG said:

My last registered package to PCGS had $121 postage. I think they can infer from this that the few pounds weren’t the reason.

• Options

@mr1874 They may not ask, but there is usually a poster stating what can not be put thru the mail. Still Illegal whether they asked or not.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:
    I cringe at the idea of sending a valuable coin, fully insured, via registered mail as I have to tell the clerk the value of the contents,

I do it all the time. Hell the guys at my PO actually know what I do and what I'm shipping around/getting in. They're great guys. Sorry you can't trust your PO.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited August 27, 2021 10:54AM

They may not ask, but there is usually a poster stating what can not be put thru the mail. Still Illegal whether they asked or not.

My PO drop is in a grocery store. Kind of rinky dink operation. I don't think they have any room on the wall for a poster.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

After thinking about this, I really do not feel the insurance tag on a U.S.P.O. shipment lures potential thieves near as much as the address label, suchas, PCGS, NGC, ANACS, Large Coin companies. For insurance purposes, what may be valuable to the sender might not be to the thief, yet most packages going to the variety of Coin Companies might make a thief think for sure valuable to them. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

The drug epidemic has only gotten worse, thefts have gone up a lot too. Thieves are looking for good candidates especially high value ones. Heavy small packages that look like they contain a lot of valuables are likely targets. I don't think that insured necessarily screams value, it depends on the overall look of the package and the to and from addresses. Possibly putting "machine parts" on the outside and sprinkling it with something odiferous may throw off the interest by thieves.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

@ms70 said:

Aha...so THAT'S how you got your collection... B)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file