Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Double Dime Time. Post your Twenty Cent Pieces!

2»

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 12:26PM

@astrorat said:

Didn't anyone else catch this? There is no such thing as an 1877-S Twenty cent piece! This coin is Fake!!!

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't anyone else catch this? There is no such thing as an 1877-S Twenty cent piece! This coin is Fake!!!

I hit the like button on that one!

LOL.

That second seven doesn't look so good.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@astrorat said:

Fake???

FAKE???

Whatever do you mean? ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@KindaNewish
    Love your double dime dedication! :)

As far as I know, only ANACS and ICG attribute US twenty-cent pieces by BF numbers.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KindaNewish said:
    I really want to get these in matching plastic, but for some reason our hosts don't recognize the B-F numbers yet.

Wow, I can't believe someone would take a permanent marker to a NGC holder and largely write over the top of everything like that. What an obtrusive case of even obliterating the 3rd party grader's text! a sticker or similar would have been much better. Why would someone consider defacing like that! I don't understand.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@KindaNewish said:
    I really want to get these in matching plastic, but for some reason our hosts don't recognize the B-F numbers yet.

Wow, I can't believe someone would take a permanent marker to a NGC holder and largely write over the top of everything like that. What an obtrusive case of even obliterating the 3rd party grader's text! a sticker or similar would have been much better. Why would someone consider defacing like that! I don't understand.

No love for the ICG holder then, eh? ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Why would someone consider defacing like that! I don't understand.

Because the plastic is only a temporary holder, when I complete the set I will have them all put in matching holders. I would prefer PCGS, but will go for ICG if our hosts don't recognize varieties.
    Except for that little ANACS in the center, that stays put.

It's not like these are rattlers or doilys or early NGC holders, they are in generic plastic. I know there is a BF-16 in a regency holder out there somewhere. If i owned that, I would likely keep the cap on the sharpie.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@KindaNewish said:

It's just a piece of plastic. We are stewards of the coins themselves, not their encasements.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

" Except for that little ANACS in the center, that stays put."

Do you have an image of just that coin?

• Options
    edited January 1, 2021 5:35PM

@Raybo said:

" Except for that little ANACS in the center, that stays put."

Do you have an image of just that coin?

I'm no good with trying to take photos, so I'll just link the doubledimes.com write-up.
    http://www.doubledimes.com/1875P-BF3.html
    This is the discovery coin for BF-3, I own it, but I can't take credit for identifying it properly (I though it was a BF-2).
    This is still the only known 1875 BF-3.
    I've searched all available archives and have been scouring shows and the interwebs for years trying to find another.
    I'm sure that the authors and a few others have been too.
    A few years in, so far. This is the only one, so it stays in it's plastic.

• Options

LET'S SEE YOUR DOUBLE DIMES!

Here is a tough 1876-P Twenty Cent. This completes my VF set of four coins... '75-P, '75-CC, '75-S, and this '76-P.

• Tim

• Options

@KindaNewish

Your BF-3 in AU58 PL with John's letter... that is so cool! perhaps you might frame that letter or protect it in someway? It is now an important piece of numismatic history along with your beautiful coin!

• Options

By the way, great thread. Love those double dimes!

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I upgraded mine to this one 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful group of coins. Only had one of these, but unfortunately sold it some years ago.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2021 7:28AM

This was purchased as a VF back in the mid ‘80’s for my 7070. Most of the toning is from that album.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

A couple of newps/upgrades since the last family photo.
    There must be someone else besides me trying a die variety set, there was a bit of a bidding war for the scarce BF-4 at Heritage a few months ago, its the first one I've ever seen

I think that I may have a problem here. I already have 4 of the 15 known 75-CC BF-1, yet I still keep looking for another.

• Options

Nice coins being posted here! Two years ago at the Chicago WFoM, my YN and I both went into the Stacks Auction Viewing to see a '76-CC... security was tight.
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-J4047/1876-cc-twenty-cent-piece-bf-1-the-only-known-dies-rarity-6-doubled-die-obverse-misplaced-date-ms-65-pcgs

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    This was purchased as a VF back in the mid ‘80’s for my 7070. Most of the toning is from that album.

Greg,
    I would feel that coin to at least be an XF40 or 45. I think it very attractive.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have one, a couple of times, I may need to look for an other;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@KindaNewish "This is still the only known 1875 BF-3"

Cool story. Read it again. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2021 6:00PM

I have a type piece somewhere, place holder to find it.

Can’t compete with @BillJones but here is my type piece

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Three beautiful Double Dimes from BillJones. Very nice!

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 10:28AM

An almost matched pair.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I didn't expect to see an 1876-CC in this thread!

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sample of 20 Cent patterns.

• Options

@cccoins said:
    An almost matched pair.

Very nice!

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

• Options

@cccoins said:
    An almost matched pair.

And the rare mirror reverses on both!

• Options

@cccoins said:
    An almost matched pair.

Holy smokes

• Options
    edited August 9, 2021 2:41AM

I think the '76-CC stopped a lot of hearts on this thread over the weekend!

@cccoins All I could see was unc pieces online. On important coins, our hosts don't provide needed records on coins like your 1876-CC double dime 20c twenty cent piece. Is there a back story here? How did you acquire it? amazing!

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/25060064

• Options

The 1876-CC specimen pictured is the EA Carson coin.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    I think the '76-CC stopped a lot of hearts on this thread over the weekend!

@cccoins All I could see was unc pieces online. On important coins, our hosts don't provide needed records on coins like your 1876-CC double dime 20c twenty cent piece. Is there a back story here? How did you acquire it? amazing!

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/25060064

Here is what I know about it. Due to it’s rarity, it was reasonably easy to find the provenance:

My favorite Carson City coin! About 16-18 known in straight grades, and most are uncirculated. Only a few of these saw circulation, likely in the local Carson City area. The stories this coin could tell! Provenance: - January, 2010 - Wagner collection - July, 1989 - Superior's session of Auction '89, Lot 565 - $29,700 - January, 1989 - Stack's auction, Lot 423 - $19,800 - 1982 - Auction ‘82, Lot 707 - $25,000 - June, 1976 - Bowers and Ruddy - Dr. Edward B. Willing auction, from E.A. Carson collection, Lot 72 - $16,000 - November, 1956 - Stacks - B. Frank collection, Lot 622 - $3,300 - November, 1946 - Stacks - Charles Deetz collection, Lot 1512 - $1,090 Possible other appearances: - 1937 - Stacks

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

@astrorat said:
    The 1876-CC specimen pictured is the EA Carson coin.

I was about to fall in love but then I noticed the doubling is almost worn off. What the point of a variety if the attribution is worn away.

Almost like buying a no date 1918/7 :p

• Options

No Reverse?

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2022 11:58AM

Deleted

• Options

Great 20 cent pieces everyone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file