Home Metal Detecting

My metal detecting finds from 2020 to present

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 1, 2020 9:08AM in Metal Detecting

Gotta say I like the idea of having all of your finds in one thread so will try it going forward!

Got out yesterday to a spot I’ve hit several times in the past. Was hoping to squeeze out a war nickel or something small as a keeper. Ended up getting a walking liberty half!

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. A Walker is s great find

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holey moley.... A WLH .... not a common find for sure...big silver and looks in good shape as well...A big congratulations ...Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. You gotta love it congrats

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

Last few hunts:

1887 seated dime, 2 cent piece, 3 IHCs, buttons, shoe buckle parts, old ring (plated), YMCA coat check tag, 5 cent token, ox knob.

Had an 8 silver day yesterday with 2 IHCs, 28 wheat cents

Misc older stuff including KG2, some kind chick mold

A Seated dime and a Two Cent piece. That’s a good hunt. Congrats

What an amazing variety of finds.... Some really great coins there too....A really rich area you are searching. Cheers, RickO

did you find a new undetected spot. Nice

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool. I need to take a trip out with you in the future. I'm pretty sure the swing distance between two detectors allows for 6-foot social distancing! ;)

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

@JesseKraft said:
    Way cool. I need to take a trip out with you in the future. I'm pretty sure the swing distance between two detectors allows for 6-foot social distancing! ;)

Jesse! I still have to reply to your PM. I promise I haven't forgotten about you.

Metal detecting is the original self-distancing since 1957, so distance shouldn't be a problem at all!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yay, "sweet", congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3

When I am detecting an old foundation in the mountains, there likely isn't anyone within 1000 yards, let alone six feet.... :D Now, deer, bear and cougar...sure...among other critters... ;) Cheers, RickO

Got out to silver beach today. Had beautiful weather. It’s pretty much hunted out and even though it’s still spitting out a few keepers they are all deep and digging is killer. Ended with a silver Roosevelt, merc and two silver charms. Also got a v nickel and buffalo nickel.

Still some silver though...I do not recall if you tried water detecting there... say into the first trough...might still be too cold for that. Cheers, RickO

I'd love to take heavy equipment and take a foot of soil off this place! I think it's a death sentence to wade into the water too much. It's not a nice and sandy beach area - it's a combination of mud, clay, rocks and shells. Terrible for digging! The farther out you get, you sink in the mud as you dig and trying to dig, hold the detector and not sink too deep is enough for me to not want to do it. There must be incredible things there, but they will probably never be found.

Wow... too bad about the condition of the beach...I agree, there is likely some real treasure just out of reach there....Cheers, RickO

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a clipped IHC in your May 11 posting?

I've gotten out a few times over the past couple months. No one hunt was enough to post... in fact I finally got to cataloging the last 5 hunts today. Here is the summary:

1 IHC
    2 Buffalo nickels
    3 Mercury dimes
    a few old buttons
    skeleton key
    Rhode Island Automobile Service Association tag
    Large silver-tone thing... I believe it is sterling but need to test it tomorrow. It reminds me of a plate that goes around an old door knob. Weighs about 21 grams and if it proves to be sterling, it is by far the largest surface area silver piece I've found. Not sure where I'm even gonna store this thing. What do you all think?

One of the hunts started out a beach. What a turd. I've never had luck at a beach (except silver beach of course). It's long stretches of nothing then melted metal, or a pull tab. How does anyone do beach hunting?? Do you just hit it every day for fresh finds, or just wait for some serious erosion?

That is one big piece of possible sterling.... Let us know what you determine. Nice Mercs, always fun to find. Yep, beach hunting can be a bust most of the time. Need to hunt popular beaches, in the summer... and check the troughs - which means water wading and a water coil. Cheers, RickO

It did test as sterling silver. Not sure what it was used for, but it has several holes to be nailed to something.

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Nice hunk 'o silver. Never seen anything like that before. Yeah, far as I know, beach hunting is mainly done nightly or early AM, to get the fresh drops. Or done right after a tropical storm which might cough up shipwreck coins. I did it a couple of times and the only keepers were a bit of clad and zincolns.

@pcgs69 .... Congratulations on the big piece of silver. I have no idea what it was for..... Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

May be ornamentation from the handle of a hair brush or similar brush.

edited November 7, 2020 9:17PM

got a sterling silver thimble today - my second one ever. Not going to win any awards, but it was a nice treat. I don't think the hole is original... there are some open top thimbles, but this this setup I don't think makes any sense. It does have a name inscribed.

Got a couple other things, but nothing else really exciting.

BTW, had some internet warriors (not on here) regarding that big flat silver thing I found. They were essentially calling me a liar and saying it wasn't silver. I would never try to mislead anyone, and if I ever did try to mislead, I would do it on something that's worth more than $16. If I'm gonna scam, I'm going big... or at least I'd do it with something a bit more impressive. I cut off a small piece and tested it with our XRF gun at work and it tested sterling. If anyone requests, I can send an image of the readout - it is not tin.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Silver finds! I need to get out!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

@pcgs69.... Nice thimble.... And as far as that silver piece goes, I never doubted you....You have an impeccable reputation here. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    @pcgs69.... Nice thimble.... And as far as that silver piece goes, I never doubted you....You have an impeccable reputation here. Cheers, RickO

@ricko - thank you. It's good to hear that from a valued member like yourself.

As far as those internet warriors go they didn’t find it and don’t have it you do. Several weeks back I was trying to do some house cleaning with my detecting junk. I had saved all the rings that weren’t marked or pieces of metal I wasn’t sure of. The dealer ran his machine over the stuff that I considered junk and I came away with a little over $60 for it. My wife would have thrown all of it away. Some people you just ignore

• Good stuff, congrats!

Got back out to Silver Beach on Sunday to see what could come out. It's like that bad girlfriend... you know you shouldn't go back but you can't resist. Was there about 7 hours and I went for the deeeep targets. Guess I'm still a bit out of shape from winter, plus digging in this beach is tough. Ended with

5 silver dimes if you want to call them that... they're toast
    1 sterling cross
    6 wheat cents
    some junk jewelry - the one had me going for a bit, lower tone, but it's like 1/60th

still producing, but it's a lot of work for what comes out.

@pcgs69... Yep... she keeps luring you back... Amazing how much you have found on that beach over the years. Good luck in the future. Cheers, RickO

That Saddle is a nice looking find

@pcgs69 ....Wow... I like that find... great detail. I had a similar saddle when I lived out west, years ago. Not quite that ornate, but did have some silver adornment. Cheers, RickO

Got back from my mom's (got the saddle near there). Had some time to detect this afternoon so I hit an obvious spot. Lots of signals there so focused on deeper targets and quarters. Surprisingly got 2 barber dimes and an 1828 large cent. The large cent was more shallow than some of the lincoln cents. Go figure. I was just thinking it's been a while since I mangled a find - got that out of my system with the first barber dime. At least it wasn't a key date! Pics won't win any awards.

@pcgs69 ... Too bad that 1913 was not a nickel.... You would be in for mega bucks.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Got out a few times over the weekend. My best find was a draped bust large cent. Does it look like 1798 to you? Got a few other small keepers so will try posting pics when I get a chance to clean.
    Think some hp would help clean this one?

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't fool me. Nice try!

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just kidding!

You have a really nice assortment of finds there!!

looks like 1798 to me Congrats

Wow... Nice find... Peroxide may work, but I would try acetone first, to remove organics. Cheers, RickO

edited July 5, 2021 3:52PM

Went back to silver beach today because it was on the route home from my weekend outing. I've hit this place over 70 times and am still surprised it spits up stuff. Got a 10k 1944 class ring in a spot I covered probably 30 times. Maybe because the band was broken it was harder to detect? Also got a buffalo nickel, 4 wheat cents, 2 mercs (one is toasted), and a sterling ring. The other ring is junk. Nice to get out and find some stuff. This is my first gold since March 17, 2019 (and that was at silver beach surprisingly). Hope everyone had a happy 4th! My buddy Nate joined and brought his Equinox, so I'm going to buy one because I was surprised at how effortless it picked up some deeeeep targets I called him over to test. Will report back once I have it in hand.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

Equinox in Park 2 is the greatest nickel finder I have ever encountered.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:
    Equinox in Park 2 is the greatest nickel finder I have ever encountered.

I've found a few recently using the field 1 setting which is working great for me. I'm searching older non-public properties, however. Found a very nice buffalo yesterday.

@pcgs69.... The beach that keeps on giving.... Gold is always an exciting find....How does it look cleaned up? Cheers, RickO

Got back out to silver beach today with my good buddy. Gave the Equinox 800 a run. Overall it's good, but can be a bit noisy in salt water conditions. It was impressive on its depth and how it can easily pick up small objects.

Ended with 2 silver dimes, silver ring, 5 wheat cents, and the find of a day, a nice 14k gold ring w/ a blue stone and what appears to be two diamonds. I'll test the diamonds tomorrow. Even if the center stone is a sapphire, it's chipped pretty good, so probably no value with that.

Also have a bit of a quandary here... one of the coins found was a 1913 Chile 20 centavos coin. Now it looks to have contained about 1.2 grams of silver originally. Not sure of the original weight but one site said 3 grams and another said 4 grams. So it was supposed to be 40% silver from what I saw. I highly doubt there is any bit of silver left with this thing. So, should it be called a silver coin? Current weight is 2.1 grams total. Let me know what you think.

Nice finds..... I would have the coin tested by a jeweler for remaining silver content. That ring cleaned up nicely. What is that pink thing in the picture before cleaning???? Cheers, RickO

edited July 19, 2021 5:24PM

@ricko said:
    Nice finds..... I would have the coin tested by a jeweler for remaining silver content. That ring cleaned up nicely. What is that pink thing in the picture before cleaning???? Cheers, RickO

RickO, do you mean what's in the pic when the ring is surrounded by dirt? Those are my trendy dollar store gloves. It's a rough rubber texture for the palm and fingers. Digging on that beach is rough on hands so they're good for one time use.

The diamonds do test real, I estimate about 3 points each (maybe worth $5 if that). When I first found it I would have bet they were 15 pointers each. Then I got home and thought, well maybe they're 10 points each. Then at work I put them next to the diamond guide and kept going down... then reality hit, haha. The sapphire is a synthetic, which is okay because it's chipped anyway.

Also put the 20 Centavos under the XRF and for some reason it was saying it was over 90% silver. It doesn't make sense because silver doesn't come out looking like that at this beach. I thought it was a very worn nickel because they come out looking like that.

@pcgs69.... Yes, it was the glove... I could not figure out what it was.... Interesting about the silver coin though. Cheers, RickO

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, still silver.

and that gold ring, yes, the fact that the bank was broken will reduce the signal.

Great find

Frank

BHNC #203