Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds from 2020 to present

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭

Hit silver beach again today. Starting to get familiar with the Nox. Ended today with a nice 1.07 gram 10k gold ring, 1898 Barber dime, 5 pieces of sterling silver, 3 buffalo nickels, 10 wheat cents, and some other neat pieces.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is simply amazing how much you find at that spot....Just keeps giving and giving....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Got back out to silver beach. It was slow going at first but picked up at the end. Got: 7 silvers - 2 silver dimes, silver wartime nickel, sterling ID bracelet, sterling dog pendant, sterling very small piece of necklace and a sterling ring, also got a 1905 V nickel, buffalo nickel, 9 wheat cents, bunch of junk jewelry. The last target was an old wrist watch. There's a chance it's gold! I will be testing it out tomorrow to see. It's hard to know for sure because the movement corroded which messed it up a bit. Came out different than nickel/silver/copper etc. Don't see any flaking.

• Options

Hard to see in this image but was able to see inside the case!

• Options

Nice finds... and the watch, based on the engraving, I would think it is gold, let us know. I hope it is ... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Nice finds... and the watch, based on the engraving, I would think it is gold, let us know. I hope it is ... Cheers, RickO

It's stamped and tested as 14k. You can barely see the 14k stamp in the picture above. It's the first gold that wasn't a ring from silver beach.

• Options
    FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Enjoyable read! A lot of cool things in there.

• Options

Had a few hours today to hit silver beach. SLOW going, so will probably wait until next year to go back. Got 1919 merc, Sterling cub scouts ring, sterling boy scouts ring, couple buffalo nickels, two junk rings, some wheat cents. Never found boy/cub scouts ring before and then found two within 10 minutes of each other.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

That salt water really does a job on silver. I’ve found one of the Cub Scout rings. Sold it for $5 in the Spring garage sale.

• Options

Nice finds... Check that Merc for the DDO.... Looks worn, but could be a good find. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Went to silver beach yesterday. Got 2 busted mercs, handle to a sterling spoon (a full sterling piece of flatware still eludes me), 2 buffalo nickels, toy soldier and some junk jewelry. The bracelet was right on the surface and was a low tone so it had me going for a minute. The clasp is marked stainless.

• Options

Nice finds... Good looking bracelet. That beach seems to have a continuous trove of material... Should wall it off and mine it.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These finds are really incredible. Can't image the time it takes to find these pieces of history. Thanks for the slide show, I really enjoyed it. B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:
    These finds are really incredible. Can't image the time it takes to find these pieces of history. Thanks for the slide show, I really enjoyed it. B)

Thank you! There was quite of bit of time involved to find these, but it's one of the greatest feelings in the world to be the first person to touch these treasures in decades or even centuries.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds!

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

Got out today for the first time in five months. Wondering if it makes sense to have both the CTX and Nox 800 with how little I get out now.

Went to silver beach. Was there about 5 1/2 hours. The Equinox is good at finding small objects but that means digging a handful of .22 casings. Really was defeating as they are usually lower tones. Ended with a nice small 10k gold ring with a clear stone. I'll test it this week, but it doesn't look like a diamond to me. Also got a silver Roosevelt, sterling band, 3 wheat cents, and a few misc. junk jewelry.

• Options

The beach that keeps on giving.... Hope the stone is a diamond. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Another day at that beach. Wow Are other people detecting when you are out there? If I hadn't detected for 5 months and detected for 5 1/2 hours my legs would be toast. :o

• Options
    edited April 24, 2022 6:55PM

PPC, I've only seen a couple of people detecting of all the times I've been there. I don't think people want to get muddy.

Tide was decent today so headed back. It's a lot of digging and the amount of junk jewelry gets tiring. Managed a buffalo nickel...rescanned the hole and had a high tone which turned out to be a walking liberty half. Also got a silver washington, mercury dime, possible silver necklace but will have to test it. The brass bracelet had me for a second, but unfortunately it's just brass.

• Options

@pcgs69 ... That is quite a haul... What date is the WLH? I continually amazed at how much you find at that beach. Must have been a popular place for many, many years. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Sorry for the delay, Ricko, the date of the WLH is 1937.

Got back out there for a few hours today. Been hitting one side very hard and it was slow, got a silver roosevelt and buffalo nickel, and a few wheat cents on that side. As the tide was turning moved to a middle area that I've hit but not that hard. Got a busted war nickel that I broke a piece off. Later, there was a patch with 3 signals. I didn't pay much attention as people seem to like throwing pennies all over, so I just dig whatever signal is there. The first was a 13 signal on the Nox which is usually a nickel. Dug it with my hand as it was shallow... turned out to be a ring. Going to have it tested as I don't see any markings. Specific gravity has it at 11.5 which is right at the 10k level, but who knows. I'll test it Tuesday.

• Options

@pcgs69... Thanks for the reply. And that is quite a group of finds too.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

• Options

It tested out as 10k

• Options

@pcgs69.... That is great.... Unusual not to have a marking. Maybe handcrafted from something else. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @pcgs69.... That is great.... Unusual not to have a marking. Maybe handcrafted from something else. Cheers, RickO

I do see a faint outline of some possible numbers, maybe "2000"? but I'm wondering it if was originally lightly laser inscribed that wore off? Like you mentioned, it's odd there isn't anything obvious though.

• Options

Hit silver beach today for a couple hours. First five minutes a 14k band popped out and just a couple minutes later a 10k ring with blue stone came out. Pretty slow after that but that was fine with me. Also got a war nickel, I think a super small eagle piece (maybe from a ring and maybe silver?), and a very small baby brass ring. That ring was in the same hole as a wheat cent so I don't know if the detector even picked it up - it's so small.

• Options

A good day indeed.... Silver beach became gold beach.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hit Silver Beach today. Got a few keepers - sterling pendant, silver Roosevelt, Wartime nickel, nice heavy sterling band. Got 3 other rings - the shiny one I believe is stainless and will check tomorrow. It looked good for a minute though but it's too light and rang in as an 8 on the Nox which seems too low for that size of a ring.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

That cartridge looks like .32 S&W, definitely an oldie.

• Options

@pcgs69... That beach just keeps on giving.... Nice finds. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:
    That cartridge looks like .32 S&W, definitely an oldie.

Impressive knowledge! Under it's a bit corroded but it looks like REM UMC 32 S&W

@ricko said:
    @pcgs69... That beach just keeps on giving.... Nice finds. Cheers, RickO

Thanks ricko! Think I'm going to pursue other beaches for now and check this one out again in the spring.

The large ring is confirmed to be stainless. Too bad but it's better than a pull tab.

• Options

Hit a local park today with the Nox. So many signals you can't dig it all. Had to go mostly for the higher tones. Got a handful of wheat cents, 3 silver dimes, indian head cent and a buffalo nickel.

What's this? A 4th silver dime? NOPE, stupid 1978 Canadian dime.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds. The dirt looks pretty moist. We are drier than a bone in Iowa. Good luck with the hunt.

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    Great finds. The dirt looks pretty moist. We are drier than a bone in Iowa. Good luck with the hunt.

For most/all of the summer it was dry and hot. Starting September we began getting rain again. I hope you get some precipitation soon.

• Options

@pcgs69... Wow... Nice finds, and that park has a lot of promise for future hunts. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options

Finally got around to cleaning stuff from my final hunt of 2022. I'm not even sure of the date but I think it was from early November. Hit a pounded corn field with the Nox and found 9 buttons, half of a hem weight and a copper - but unfortunately it's toast. Hoping to get out more in 2023.

• Options

@pcgs69.... Nice assortment... dig everything, miss nothing. Good luck in 2023. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@pcgs69, Nice finds so far! I enjoy metal detecting, even though I'm not very good at it, and there are no good places nearby... Just wanted to say I've enjoyed this thread so far, Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feels like the Goonies movie I love it enjoy the hunt!!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited January 1, 2023 9:57AM

Might as well do a quick 2022 summary.
    Only got out 9 times but hoping to get out more in 2023.

Cents: 128 ($1.28)
    Nickels: 25 ($1.25)
    Dimes: 32 ($3.20)
    Quarters: 37 ($9.25)
    Half Dollars: 1 (.50)
    $15.48 total

1 large cent
    1 IHC
    26 wheat cents
    3 buffalo nickels

Silver 12 total coins:
    3 War nickels
    3 mercs
    4 silver roosevelts
    1 slv wash
    1 Walker
    5 pieces of sterling jewelry

4 gold rings
    10 flat buttons

• Options

@pcgs69... That is a remarkable total for only nine trips. Gold and silver jewelry and coins...as well as a good coin total... Best of luck in 2023... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Very nice totals for the year. You’re supposed to find “5 Golden Rings “ 😇. Gold is on the way up. Sell

• Options

Haven't detected in almost three months. Needed to take a day off to get away and hit Silver Beach. Was around 50 degrees and wanted to try my new 15" coil for the Nox 800. Hard to say how much added depth it gave as the beach always spits something out. Was lucky to pull out a vintage 10k gold ring with blue stones, 2 silver coins, 3 pieces of sterling and a circa 1940 Bathing Suit Inspector badge. I was hoping it was going to be my new profession but turns out to be a novelty. That thing was deeeeeeep.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds! That saltwater is definitely tough on both copper and silver.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

Wow... That beach is absolutely amazing.... Just keeps giving back. Nice haul. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

I sold off my big Equinox coil. Although it gave better coverage, I didn't perceive that it gave much, if any, additional depth.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2023 7:10PM

Brought the Manticore to silver beach. Didn't really know what I was doing but put it in one of the beach modes and played with sensitivity, put it in all metal mode and turned off the threshold which was making odd sounds. Still have to play with the settings some more to try getting it more stable. It was pretty chatty and was falsing a lot. Might be as simple as lowering sensitivity.

It was super sensitive and picked up very small objects. It's tough digging deep in the mud/shells/clay with it filling in with water and pull out a .22 shell casing. Good exercise though. Was a relief to get the first silver out of the way with it - a merc. Then got another merc and part of a silver bracelet. Also got a few wheats and a Mississippi 5 cent tax token.
    Dug so many exploratory holes just to find nothing. Can't tell if it's actually a target really deep or nothing - many were past the depth of the pinpointer, or so small the pinpointer had trouble picking it up when it was out of the hole.

Toward the end of the hunt got what I thought was just another one of countless brass Catholic Mary pendants that have come out of this place. About 6 hours later I noticed a 10k stamp on the back while cleaning everything up. That's a nice surprise! I would have taken some time to look for the chain had I known.

• Options

@pcgs69... Nice finds, particularly the gold medal. Need to back and look for the chain... Seems the new detector just needs dialing in a bit.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Got out Sunday with the Manticore at a place I've hit pretty hard with the CTX and Equinox 800. The Manticore did okay, but in all honestly I'm not seeing leaps and bounds progress over the prior detectors. I hope I'm wrong about this as I learn it more. Got a silver Roosevelt, couple of keys, a rusted jack (I believe) that was in same hole as a wheat cent, several wheats. Also got a 1920s or 30s era gaming token (image below is website image because I couldn't get my camera to focus on it). Went to a second spot and got the watches - all no premium brands.