Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds from 2020 to present

13»

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 ... The watches are interesting... That large, multifunction watch should have been noticed when lost... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

Took the manticore out to silver beach today. Kind of surprised how many signals are still there. The manticore seems to pick them up pretty well. They are deeper though.

Got 8 wheat cents, 3 silver dimes, a “good luck in 1935” token, handful of junk jewelry. Tried hard to find some gold but it wasn’t to be today. Did get a gold filled pair of eyeglasses which i was hoping there was a small chance they were 14k, but marked as gold filled.

• Options

@pcgs69... Absolutely amazing how silver beach keeps providing such a haul - quantity and quality. What is that piece in the upper right corner of your picture?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @pcgs69... Absolutely amazing how silver beach keeps providing such a haul - quantity and quality. What is that piece in the upper right corner of your picture?? Cheers, RickO

That's an old shotgun shell head, it's UMC & Co New Club 10 gauge. According to one website, it could date from 1892-1896 (not sure how accurate that is though). The gold-tone thing to the left I'm not sure. Will have to test it, looks gold but maybe from a lighter?. The (pants?) rivet is from RAU F (Fastener) Co. Providence RI. Looks like that company was established in 1912, and I'd guess it most likely dates to the 30s thru 50s.

• Options

@pcgs69... Thanks for the reply.... Hope the other item is gold. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @pcgs69... Thanks for the reply.... Hope the other item is gold. Cheers, RickO

I just peeled the "gold" layer away and got a perfume scent, so must be from a perfume bottle. It has some white metal underneath, so unfortunately not gold. Will just have to go back out detecting and find some next time.

• Options

Loving the manticore at the moment I've been fiddling about with the settings when I first took it out with the factory settings there did seem to be a lot of chatter & falsing, I too may have had the sensitivity a bit high, think we're all guilty of that I ran it at 26.
    So now I've dropped mine to 22
    Upper ferrous limit 4 and zero on the lower no threshold mode all terrain fast recovery speed 6 ,iron volume 1I hunt in all metal, machine is quite stable in fact last time out I had to check if it was still switched on it was so quite
    I'm certainly no expert give it a try it might work for you I even got a silver bracelet & a silver sixpence this was on pasture.

• Options

@tynetraveller2000... Thanks for the report on the machine.... Good information for others who are new to this detector. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread! Great finds. I have a new (5 years now) detector that I have yet to turn on..... oh my. Perhaps I'll sell as NOS. lol
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG ... Hey Bob, that battery may be shot by now... Or have you been keeping it charged?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko
    It uses double A's or a 9v. No charging needed, just changing.
    I won't be swinging it again as my shoulders can't handle it. Heck to get old. Already replaced one shoulder.
    Trying not to replace the other.
    Thanks,
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG ....I know what you mean... Getting old is not for the weak.... Got a few things going on myself. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'm back visiting my old stomping grounds. Wanted to try the manticore in a few spots I hit hard with the CTX and Etrac. The first spot is small but have found 3 flying eagle cents along with a seated dime, gold ring and other silver and older coins. I have been trying in all metal mode which seems to work decently. Quickly found a small sterling charm, thought it was a three cent silver, but I'll be lucky if it weighs a gram. Scanned more and this machine is a beast on foil and very deep foil and other small objects. I was hoping this machine would make spots seem new again, but I barely found anything else to note.
    Moved onto spot two and three (next to each other) - dug a few clad coins and a couple of wheat cents. Where's the old stuff and silver?
    Spot four yielded another wheat cent and not much else. It was getting up to around 80 degrees and was hot so decided to end the hunt. Found a bunch of zincolns, foil for days, and then some more foil.

A bit disappointed in the hunt as others seem to find a lot of things they missed with other detectors. Took some wind out of my sails to try other spots I've hit hard previously.

• Options

@pcgs69.... The first spot showed promise... Subsequent areas not so much. Maybe, over the years of searching, you cleared the good stuff already. Did you check around the perimeters? I have seen those areas to produce some items when the rest of an area seems MD'd out. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Got out last Sunday with a couple people. Manticore loves small stuff. got a shrunken IHC and the sterling back of an earring. It weighs in at a whopping .08 grams! Worth 5 cents in silver!!!

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 4:18PM

Got out today to silver beach with the Manticore. Went over a spot I must have gone over 30 times but the targets kept popping up. It's great on deep targets, even with the sensitivity on 22. Got a nice gold ring, 2.7 grams. No markings so will test this week. Also got a sterling religious pendant, heavily encrusted sterling ring, 2 silver washingtons, a war nickel but I think all of the silver was leached out of it. Also got two buffalo nickels, handful of junk jewelry, and 10 wheat cents.

• Options

The ring tests as 10k

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:
    The ring tests as 10k

That was a good hunt. heading out tommorow myself

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

silver beach is amazing.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options

@SurfinxHI said:
    silver beach is amazing.

Thank you! This is the only beach I've had good luck at, so fingers crossed it keeps producing.

• Options

Hit silver beach again with the Manticore. It seemed to false a bit more today than the previous hunt but still ended with a decent haul - a nice 10k white gold ring, vintage sterling ring, silver Washington, 3 silver dimes, buffalo nickel, some wheat cents and junk jewelry.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭

Is that a token or a button?

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:
    Is that a token or a button?

It's a two-piece button.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

It keeps on giving 😊. Have you cashed in any of your gold? Especially with gold around 2K

• Options

Might as well provide my 2023 finds. Like the last few years, I didn't get out nearly as much as I wanted to.

10 outings
    Cents: 173
    Nickels: 24
    Dimes: 39
    Quarters: 28

Notables
    48 wheat cents
    4 pieces of gold
    5 old buttons
    9 pieces of sterling silver
    3 buffalo nickels
    1 war nickel
    5 mercs
    5 silver roosevelts
    4 silver washingtons

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liked 4 pieces of gold in notables

• Options

Got out detecting for the first time since November. Feels like an eternity but made it out to silver beach today. Was questioning my decision at first due to the Manticore's ability to find the smallest piece of brass/copper like small nails, .22 shell casings, rivets, etc. It also likes to signal on larger rocks which was fun. But I stuck it out and it turned into a good day. Got a nice 9g 10k class ring from 1942, 2 silver dimes, silver war nickel, buffalo nickel, 6 wheat cents, sterling Mary Catholic pendant, very small sterling vintage clasp (about 0.22 grams), small sterling catholic charm, and two fragments of sterling chain.

• Options

That's a great day digging in my book!!

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds, P-69… especially the ‘42 class ring! Any chance of providing a frontal (stone) shot of it?

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2024 11:20AM

Tried another session of taking the Manticore to some spots I hit hard previously with the CTX and Etrac. I keep hearing all these stories of old places made new again by the Manticore... and yesterday, it found things I haven't before like bullet casings, wire, foil and it's particularly fond of nails. Even at different angles the nails sounded good. There were a couple of wheat cents that were masked that I was able to find, but the Manticore hasn't found anything profound in the several locations I've hit with the CTX/Etrac. A bit disappointed and not a fan of the telescoping shaft because it keeps sliding and if I pick up the detector by the shaft while on the scanning the hole while on my knees, the top computer rotates. It's sort of like picking up a sleeping puppy... everything flopping everywhere.

I did manage a buffalo nickel, a few wheat cents and a couple pieces of jewelry- i was hoping they were silver but see no markings.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 3:45AM

@pcgs69 said:

I keep hearing all these stories of old places made new again by the Manticore... it's particularly fond of nails.

I think the Manticore is capable of finding a few masked leftovers. Ergonomics is its greatest strength, not massive quantities of new finds.

The affinity of the Manticore for rusty nails is undeniable. I adjusted the upper ferrous limit on my Manticore to reduce the attraction to rusty nails. I think it's currently on 9 and I might increase it to 10.

• Options

@Bayard1908 said:

@pcgs69 said:

I keep hearing all these stories of old places made new again by the Manticore... it's particularly fond of nails.

I think the Manticore is capable of finding a few masked leftovers. Ergonomics is its greatest strength, not massive quantities of new finds.

The affinity of the Manticore for rusty nails is undeniable. I adjusted the upper ferrous limit on my Manticore to reduce the attraction to rusty nails. I think it's currently on 9 and I might increase it to 10.

I'll have to read up more on the ferrous limits to see if there's anything that can be done. Otherwise it's a great beach machine but might have to look elsewhere for a land detector. Maybe Deus?