Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the entertainment value of coins under appreciated.

RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2021 2:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I think there is an over emphasis on the price factor of coins. I got back into coin collecting about a year ago at 68, and it has given me countless hours of enjoyment, especially during the pandemic. I love looking at my coins, checking out new coins on line, going to a coin show to view and purchase new coins. So if my modest $1000 collection lost half of its value in a few years, I feel factoring in the hours of entertainment value I would still be ahead of the game. A gem mint state 65 Walker could be had for the mere price of a fine restaurant meal or going to a ball game, all of which are over shortly after being enjoyed, but that Walker will be viewed for many years to come. Our hobby is great. Enjoy and don’t be price obsessed!

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent point and one that can't be stressed enough.
    Whatever part of coin collecting excites the collector- whether it is worn older coins or shiny new ones- is the joy of the hobby outside of any possible future returns.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was as happy the day I finally got my 95w as the day I got my masters. Both took years and dedication and both produce satisfaction of accomplishment when I look at them

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coin budget is part of my overall monthly "Entertainment " budget... like going to to eat or going to a movie.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of thousand coins. Some are fairly worthless(mere cents), some are worth little and some are worth a lot. Doesn't matter, I love looking at them regardless of value. I just went through a few rolls of wornout buffs and found a few interesting ones. I might invite Joey down as I'm getting ready to go thru roughly 140 rolls of lincolns. I went thru about 10 rolls and the latest one was 1992. No, Joey, not THE 1992. It's all fun. I look thru my collections every month or so hoping to not find another that needs upgrading. lol
    I would wish everyone would enjoy the hobby as I have.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Mgarmy said:
    I was as happy the day I finally got my 95w as the day I got my masters. Both took years and dedication and both produce satisfaction of accomplishment when I look at them

What is 95W?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rubicon said:

@Mgarmy said:

What is 95W?

I assume he's talking about the 1995-W ASE which is a very expensive Proof only issue and the key to the series.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Yep thanks Perry

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife encouraged me to get back into coins (and this forum) because she knew how much I enjoyed it even though I wasn’t actively collecting at the time. I do think we sometimes overlook the sheer enjoyment value of our pursuit when we pay too much attention to the money involved.

• Options

@pmh1nic said:
    Coins have multiple attractions for me. They're a connection with history, science, art, economics and probably a few other things I haven't thought of. Sharing these common interest if fun and entertaining. There seems to be no end to how deep you can dive when it comes to coins.

I think of the roaring twenties with my Standing liberty quarter, world war 2 with my Walker, the depression with my 1935 Lincoln. Fascinating history tied in with our coins.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like low value primitives. I'm too cheap.. er...frugal to want to tie up thousands in any one coin. It's the whole reason I became a part-time dealer. I can look at 5 figure coins, buy 5 figure coins, but I never have 5 figure coins sitting in a SDB.

I only have 2 mid 4 figure coins in my "permanent collection" and that's only because I bought them for $1000 20 years ago. But I've gotten to buy/ sell some great coins.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 4:38PM

This past year I collected coins from every year there was a major plague. Was not too expensive but the Justinian plague took some doing. Just bubonic not small pox or unknowns. This year will knock out influenzas

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the "Hunt" to be the most exciting aspect of this hobby although, I'm also finding it harder and harder to sell pieces from my successful hunts. I guess that would be the satisfying part.
    Like a kid, as soon as the ride is over I get right back in line again.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to collect coins and, if I have the money, I don't care about the price. When im out of money, well, that's another story, a rather frustrating one haha.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @ricko said in spades for me! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been collecting coins and/or baseball cards for over 30 years and I've always looked at it as entertainment. When I sold my first coins to buy a camping trailer, my wife asked me if I was disappointed at the 10K loss in value at the time. I told her the years of enjoyment far outweigh the loss. To me it's like a great vacation when I pull out my coins or cards and look at them I lose all track of time and the enjoyment is priceless. My coins and cards are at home, so I can pull them out daily. Hardly a day goes by that I am not looking at coins or cards.

Enjoy the hobby.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2021 9:01AM

I don't think so. Coin collecting is nothing other than entertainment. 100%. What else could it be? Even for collectors who seek profit from collecting there is entertainment in that. Maybe I'm missing something here. 🤔

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found an 1811-M Italian 5 Lire of Napoleon in Uncirculated condition that a dealer had put away in 1983.
    It was the next-to-last piece I need for my Bonaparte family crowns in AU or better. He offered me a price and I think he was surprised that I didn't try to wheel & deal - fair for me.
    Now that is a very scarce coin and rare in that condition. Those are the types of things I love and enjoy looking at and showing off.

thefinn
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    I found an 1811-M Italian 5 Lire of Napoleon in Uncirculated condition that a dealer had put away in 1983.
    It was the next-to-last piece I need for my Bonaparte family crowns in AU or better. He offered me a price and I think he was surprised that I didn't try to wheel & deal - fair for me.
    Now that is a very scarce coin and rare in that condition. Those are the types of things I love and enjoy looking at and showing off.

That's great.......you never know!

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@thefinn said:

That's great.......you never know!

37 years it was in hiding. He paid $75 for it and I got it for $350.

thefinn
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge entertainment value for me. And I must say, having collected in three widely spaced periods, the 70's, the 90's and now.....By far, and I must give big credit to PCGS, today is unparalleled in terms of entertainment factor. The True views, Set Registry, Coin Facts all add hugely to the overall enjoyment.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at any hobby as a form of therapy, while I’m enjoying a hobby my mind is usually strictly focused on that instead of whatever BS I might be dealing with at any point on time.

One of my hobbies is restoring old vehicles. This can be frustrating at times, but it is optional stress, and a challenge is also mentally rewarding when solved.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Huge entertainment value for me. And I must say, having collected in three widely spaced periods, the 70's, the 90's and now.....By far, and I must give big credit to PCGS, today is unparalleled in terms of entertainment factor. The True views, Set Registry, Coin Facts all add hugely to the overall enjoyment.

Part of the fun for me is hunting for those exceptional eye appealing coins that are elusive to find in ms 64-65 moderate price coins. I look to buy ms 65 coins with 66-67 eye appeal and high end quality. That’s the challenge

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rubicon While the money aspect might seem to be at the forefront sometimes, i think a lot of collectors share your sentiment.

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

Part of the fun for me is hunting for those exceptional eye appealing coins that are elusive to find in ms 64-65 moderate price coins. I look to buy ms 65 coins with 66-67 eye appeal and high end quality. That’s the challenge

@Rubicon Absolutely agree with you, and boy those coins are getting hard to find. I do mainly proofs, and with grade inflation, it is extremely difficult to locate, say a Proof 65 coin, with stellar surfaces and color that equal the look of a PF67, or PF68. Very few out there anymore.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rubicon said:
    Is the entertainment value of coins under appreciated.

If you're reading this post...............For each of us?..........Absolutely not!

Probably like most of us, I avoid telling family, friends or acquaintances about this hobby, habit or addiction. Simply because they don't understand or appreciate this coin stuff.

This is why I'm here. Most of us understand each other.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get quite a lot of entertainment value between the hunt and search, the research and study, the coins themselves, the cataloguing and photographing (although that can be frustrating as well), and most especially ... some of the great comradery found with other collectors.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@Rubicon Absolutely agree with you, and boy those coins are getting hard to find. I do mainly proofs, and with grade inflation, it is extremely difficult to locate, say a Proof 65 coin, with stellar surfaces and color that equal the look of a PF67, or PF68. Very few out there anymore.

Not an expert in proof coins but ms 65 coins that are very lustrous with minimal marks no spotting and pretty surfaces difficult to locate

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2021 3:02PM

The entertainment value is definitely under rated. There is nothing quite like the visceral rush you experience after you flip a coin for multiples of its purchase price. o:)

• Options
    edited June 19, 2021 7:05PM

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

Not an expert in proof coins but ms 65 coins that are very lustrous with minimal marks no spotting and pretty surfaces difficult to locate

What do you think of these 2 proof coins I saw for sale?

• Options
    edited June 20, 2021 3:02AM

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always courteous not to hijack threads @Rubicon :|

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

If they are modern coins I collect them just for fun. If they are vintage coins I want to get the best grades possible to make money in the long term.

• Options

@Rubicon The two Walkers posted above look quite nice! Here's a great example of your point. It's graded PF-65 Cam, and has a PCGS value of $2,000. It has the eye appeal to me, of a PF-67 or better.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the theme of this thread. I also enjoyed collecting as a hobby and buying coins more when what I wanted to buy was cheaper and my budget went further.

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    @Rubicon The two Walkers posted above look quite nice! Here's a great example of your point. It's graded PF-65 Cam, and has a PCGS value of $2,000. It has the eye appeal to me, of a PF-67 or better.

Beautiful eye appeal on that coin. That 1942 proof 64 has been advertised for many months with no takers, do you think the toning is too dark or off! Value your opinion as I don’t want to buy a lemon. Asking $425, can make a reasonable offer

• Options

@Catbert said:

What is a hijack thread?

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@Catbert said:

What is a hijack thread?

When you change the subject of the title to the thread or ask unrelated questions regarding the subject of the thread.

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@Rubicon said:

@Catbert said:

What is a hijack thread?

When you change the subject of the title to the thread or ask unrelated questions regarding the subject of the thread.

Think your being too serious. Was a slight digression for a thread that’s ran it’s course already.! Please lighten up not life and death. My apologies

• Options

@rubicon Not serious, he was simply answering your question.

• Options

I just got into this as a hobby to do with my boys for the summer. Both my boys love looking at coins trying to find the coolest one. just still trying to get the hang of what is considered valuable and rare.

• Options
    edited June 20, 2021 5:09PM

@fejjins said:
    I just got into this as a hobby to do with my boys for the summer. Both my boys love looking at coins trying to find the coolest one. just still trying to get the hang of what is considered valuable and rare.

You have one of these? If not, get one. EDIT: 2021 not 2008. ;)

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

But previously he was irritated that I changed the thread slightly just for the moment. Didn’t realize it was such a big deal. Not purposely trying to change it, just digressed a little

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

But previously he was irritated that I changed the thread slightly just for the moment. Didn’t realize it was such a big deal. Not purposely trying to change it, just digressed a little

I missed that part :) and I am one of the worst at it. If it relates even slightly I’ll say something or post a similar coin and will either get bit or crickets.
    It’s the main reason I started the CRH thread, nobody barks at me there and if they do I just play some Nine inch Nails on the music thread.
    See I did it again :D

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Rubicon said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

I missed that part :) and I am one of the worst at it. If it relates even slightly I’ll say something or post a similar coin and will either get bit or crickets.
    It’s the main reason I started the CRH thread, nobody barks at me there and if they do I just play some Nine inch Nails on the music thread.

Okay NP. I will try and stay on the thread in the future Lol.

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Rubicon said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Okay NP. I will try and stay on the thread in the future Lol.

You better! You son of a Leprecon, hehehehehe.

• Options

Wait a minute! This is your thread you can talk about whatever the heck you wanna talk about. lol

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

One aspect of numismatic collecting that is hugely overlooked is that of exonumia.

On can find unparalleled design beauty and relative rarity for pennies on the dollar compared to standard issue coins.

Z

I thought I posted this two days ago. I see it didn't "take."

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@Rubicon said:

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

@Rubicon said:

@Eldorado9 said:

What do you think of these 2 proof coins I saw for sale?

Regarding the 1942 in 64 @Rubicon Looks like an attractive piece. I like some originality on these pieces. Normally the original toning shows up with colors of beige, russet, and powder blue The devices show a bit of cameo effect in the photos. PCGS price is $425.00. Might be worth a shot. The thing I can't see is the flash of mirrors, which is important....Many times they come dull on these.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file