Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:
    Waiting to receive this one.

I saw that one! I missed the 1770-G 2R right before this one

Sorry to hear that. I assumed you knew about it and bought it. It sold for what I consider a strong price (1100 CHF, more than the one I bought) but with a mintage of only 4,012, I'm not sure there is a better one. I'd grade it a F-15 but I think it it's eligible for a VF holder.

For the one I bought, the only other comparable (and maybe slightly better) one I know is the Ortiz specimen.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

Sorry to hear that. I assumed you knew about it and bought it. It sold for what I consider a strong price (1100 CHF, more than the one I bought) but with a mintage of only 4,012, I'm not sure there is a better one. I'd grade it a F-15 but I think it it's eligible for a VF holder.

For the one I bought, the only other comparable (and maybe slightly better) one I know is the Ortiz specimen.

I believe your example is the rare variety without the ligature in the MA. Tough to tell from the photos but worth checking.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

I believe your example is the rare variety without the ligature in the MA. Tough to tell from the photos but worth checking.

Thanks, I'll do that upon receipt.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Why do you need two of the same coin? You starting a museum and need to show front and back?

@bidask said:

Oh, and the reverse on both coins are really nice too.

Both are pop one and I wanted a PL too .😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi your pics are fine. Great medal! I think a few medals here and there add depth to a collection.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    @Eddi your pics are fine. Great medal! I think a few medals here and there add depth to a collection.

@pruebas, thank you very much, Sir!

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 1:24PM

1979 Bolivian proof silver 200 pesos (Year of the Child).
    Struck in .925 silver by Swiss refinery Valcombi
    KM#198
    Mintage: 15,000

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas no assayer.

• Options

I have to say @pruebas never disappoints.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas no assayer.

Isn't there also supposed to be a denomination along with assayer initial on the reverse? Or am I thinking of later issues?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas no assayer.

Isn't there also supposed to be a denomination along with assayer initial on the reverse? Or am I thinking of later issues?

The assayer can be found on obverse or reverse depending 9n the assayer, but the value is always on the columns' side, if that is what you mean.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2021 6:10PM

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas no assayer.

Correct. Missing the assayer (R in this case) and the mintmark (Mo).

IIRC there are 4-5 known. I believe this to be the second finest. I also own the finest, which has a different die on the pillar side. (I don’t have a good photo of that coin.)

Edited to add: Nobody knows why these exist. I think they are probably errors.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2021 8:06PM

@pruebas said:

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas no assayer.

Correct. Missing the assayer (R in this case) and the mintmark (Mo).

IIRC there are 4-5 known. I believe this to be the second finest. I also own the finest, which has a different die on the pillar side. (I don’t have a good photo of that coin.)

Edited to add: Nobody knows why these exist. I think they are probably errors.

And in the next episode of Hoarders…

• Options
    EuclidEuclid Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Happy Thursday everyone. I got one in the mail today. It seems like a solid XF to me but I don't have a lot of practice with the circulated grades on these. What does everyone think?

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my new one.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

@JohnnyCache it seems to me that the half real look better than 62, at least in the picture.

• Options

@pruebas were these part of the last submission filled with attribution errors on PCGS part?

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas were these part of the last submission filled with attribution errors on PCGS part?

@Abuelo yes. However, they were correct.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2021 2:07PM

@Abuelo said:
    @JohnnyCache it seems to me that the half real look better than 62, at least in the picture.

Well it was in an NGC 64 holder, now that's not to say that it should, or shouldn't be, a 64 but I do think a MS63 would have been appropriate.

Look at this PCGS 1773 1/2 Real in MS63 to me it looks like it has a staple scratch at the lower right reverse and overall doesn't look as nice as the one I sent in. See both of these coins True Views here

Coin from Stacks Auction

Mine

In the end, I can live with with it as an MS62.

jc

• Options

@pruebas so restoration cannot fix it?

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas so restoration cannot fix it?

Nope. The surface is etched from the acid.

• Options

Catastrophic @pruebas

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I have already posted this, but anyway, a medal (silver, NGC MS65) with all the 3 mints that have minted the 1984 coins:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭

these joined the herd this week - I love the sunface on the 1/2

• Options

@tcollects said:
    these joined the herd this week - I love the sunface on the 1/2

Ecuador coinage is under rated

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a piece of one.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2021 8:31AM

Not exactly a coin, but a proto-coin. This is a blank planchet for an unknown mint/date Mexican Republic 8R with a proper edge.

And just for fun, here is a blank planchet for a 1982-1989 Silver Libertad Onza, with a proper (lettered) edge.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are pretty neat, @pruebas

Can't be too many Cap and Rays planchets around.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Those are pretty neat, @pruebas

Can't be too many Cap and Rays planchets around.

I haven't seen any others, but they may be out there.

But the onza planchet should theoretically be rarer, given the strict controls of precious metals in the mint these days. It may have been removed by an official for "personal use" to get around those controls.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is a nice Newfoundland Gold $2 or 200 cents

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Great pair, @JohnnyCache ! I haven't posted any additions since my fiasco with the 2 raw toners back in May that turned out to be artificially toned. I did receive my money back from the seller, which was the best outcome i could have hoped for.

Still waiting to get this one in-hand:

That's a beauty!

The shipping from Heritage appears to be a bit slow.
    I have my account set up for FedEX only, but then called HA in order to manually bump that service up to overnight.

I agree that getting your money back from that other deal was definitely the best outcome.