Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

@Nathan401 said:
    H10

Although you didn't show a reverse photo, for fun I looked at this,
    and I am fairly sure it is an 1840 V-2 (Philadelphia).
    This is based mostly on the date position.
    A confirming factor is that stars 5 and 6 are somewhat close to each other.
    I'll guess the grade is EF-40.
    Not too bad for 180 years old.

@yosclimber

Nathan is a good friend of mine....he will tell you his half dime habbit is do to me!
    Another one who's passion for the hobby is very easy to see. Now @Nathan401 its in writting its my fault....hurry and show the wife before I edit...lol Paddy

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 12:27PM

@Fugio1787 said:
    My most recent purchase. From Gerry Fortin

Welcome to the forum! That is my type of coin. Gerry Fortin is a good source. Did you just buy that as a type coin or are you putting together some type of set. Some people just collect the civil war years.

• Options
    Fugio1787Fugio1787 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I have a preference for Seated Liberty era coins and Colonial coins

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBN said:

Damn she is sweet! Please sign me up for FROR...

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crusty said:

@JBN said:

You will see it again in the first post on page one of this thread.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBN said:

@Crusty said:

@JBN said:

You will see it again in the first post on page one of this thread.

I Have gone through every single page of this thread just looking to see what Seated Dollars are out there. Your beautiful 64 actually makes a couple of appearances over the last decade in this thread 😎

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2021 2:23PM

Good to see you back!

Your 1873 half dime is the V-1 variety.
    It has the date position with the pendant above the middle of the 7, and low.
    And it is not the V-4, which has the same obverse, but has horizontal lines in the leaves on the reverse.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan said:
    Awesome! Thanks Yos!

For today a well worn 1886-S dime....

Blue collar. Worked until it couldn't stand up!

• Options
    edited May 19, 2021 7:44PM

You didn't ask (no need to), but I'll offer:
    Based mostly on the date position, I believe your 1858 is a V-4.
    I'm not very sure, though.
    There are about 12 different 1858 obverses, and a couple of them have a nearly identical date position.
    I don't see any die cracks that would help identify the reverse.
    I don't know much about the rarity of V-4 at present, but it was used to strike proofs and some business strikes.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

A collector friend of mine used to say "I may have paid too much, but at least I have it". Overpaying is a matter of opinion and overpaying on a coin like that is not overpaying.

• Options

The 1849 half dime is a nice example of the V-1 die marriage -
    high left date with 184 touching the base and the 4 entirely left of the pendant.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan said:
    ...and a half dime, PC-45 CAC. Pix courtsey my friend Vern...

That is a great look on the Seated half dime Len.
    Jim

• Options

Gerry Fortin shared some good memories of Jim O'Donnell in his blog on April 27:

Sunday evening brought a special event in a collecting career. That event would not have taken place without the guidance of a special person. Today, I pay tribute to Jim O'Donnell as one of my early mentors. Jim was an eccentric person with an incredible memory though being stricken with epilepsy. Many of us would refer to Jim as "no social security number Jim" as he wished to carry on life in an invisible manner. Few individuals became close to Jim as he was a tough New Yorker with a strong ego. Jim and I shared a common passion; Liberty Seated dimes. He possessed a unique knowledge of individual date rarities before the population reports. Jim's recitals of major auctions, the "players" in attendance, and how the floor bidding occurred were legendary if one took the time to listen.

Jim and I become close; the master and the student. He would often test my growing knowledge of "the dimes" by handing me a high grade Mint State coin with reverse side up upon approaching his table. It was a test. Could I identify the date based on the mintmark size, position, and strike characteristics. With time, I began to nail those "tests" as wishing to garner the "master's" respect and continued guidance.

Jim always stressed that rarity was the single most important parameter that one must learn when assembling a high grade Mint State Liberty Seated dime set. Deep rarity insights would be the guide for knowing when to go all in on a coin rather than succumbing to the wisdom of the auction houses and their catalogers. I will always remain indebted to Jim O'Donnell for his mentorship. Sadly, Jim died too young under strange circumstances. His epilepsy grow progressively worse. It was reported that Jim died during a fall in his shower as he lived alone with his aging mother. Those of us close to Jim, felt uncomfortable with the report as his top end Liberty Seated dime collection was never found afterwards... or at least to my knowledge.

On Sunday evening, I purchased the following 1869-S dime at an amount that was well beyond "the guides". The purchase was based on decades of chasing this date for an exceptional specimen. ....

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy smokes @barberkeys Vern! So gorgeous and a '73-CC as well! No equal I am sure.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's so rare to see any 1870-cc to 1873-cc quarter with choice, original surfaces. I was genuinely surprised to see the mintmark as I was scrolling down.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan @barberkeys Wonderful coins and pictures guys!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file