Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a quadruplet of 1900 S Quarters from my stash- none for sale. There are four different varieties represented here:

These are all in PCGS holders, all were purchased raw. None have made the trip to CAC- I don't have submission privileges. Here are the questions:

• Which ones are AU 58?
    • Which one is an AU 55?
    • Which one is the scarcest (by far)?
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 5:46AM

@paesan said:
    Well, lots of responses on my 1900-S quiz! I think Jed got the closest...
    Answers:

1 PCGS AU-55 Did not CAC

2 NGC AU-58 CAC

3 PCGS AU-58 Did not CAC

How in the world could the last on be a 58?!! There is less wear on the 1st coin. The second coin may have more flash but it looks like the surfaces were previously stripped exasperating the surfaces (I have been known to be wrong in the past) that are evident and showing.

Nice quiz Lenny and no, not agreeing with TPG.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of raw dimes....thanks for the great pix, Vern!

More coins, less government.
  • Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, I will let someone else answer your quiz for obvious reasons. Nice coins!

• Options

Jeff, I like number 3 the best. Ill say that's a 58. I would grade the last one AU-50, so I'm guessing that's the 55. No clue which one is scarcest. I'd call the first two AU-55, so I'm guessing they graded 58 as well.

Curious which ones you bought raw or crossed over!

Lenny

• Options

@paesan said:
    Jeff, I like number 3 the best. Ill say that's a 58. I would grade the last one AU-50, so I'm guessing that's the 55. No clue which one is scarcest. I'd call the first two AU-55, so I'm guessing they graded 58 as well.

Curious which ones you bought raw or crossed over!

Lenny

Lenny- I like #3 the best as well. Both #1and #3 are AU 58 and #4 is indeed an AU55. I checked my records again- I purchased #3 in a NGC AU58 holder and cracked it out for submission. The others were raw purchases.

• Options

Jeff, Amazing how you find them raw coins and have such great success getting them graded!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, I concur with @paesan as far as grades, which I think I understand that you have confirmed. My guess is that the 3rd coin is also the rarest example being the later obverse variety and the earlier reverse for that year's production. I like the look of that one the most as well. Nice exercise, thanks.

• Options

@jedm said:
    Jeff, I concur with @paesan as far as grades, which I think I understand that you have confirmed. My guess is that the 3rd coin is also the rarest example being the later obverse variety and the earlier reverse for that year's production. I like the look of that one the most as well. Nice exercise, thanks.

Jed- per your thinking coins #1 and #4 are the most common combinations found. From my experience with the San Francisco mint, coin #2 (OBV I with REV III) is the rarest combination, but it could be random luck that I've found several nice examples of the OBV II/ REV II combination (Coin #3),

Coin #2 is in an AU Details, scratched holder; the scratch on the cheek held it back. Otherwise it's a very nice coin (although obviously dipped at some time).

• Options

Jeff interesting data and I completely rely on your observations because of your more extensive experience with this sort of thing. I didn't notice the scratch as being so prominent until now that you mention it being housed in a details holder. Interesting stuff, thanks! I can always find great activities here.

• Options

@Nic said:

@Eldorado9 said:
    Barber History from the Eugene Gardner Collection of Barber Quarters:

Great piece of history. One of Gene's all time favorite coins came from Larry. The superbly toned 01-S quarter.

Is there any plan to digitize the Gardner book? I would be interested in at least looking at one let alone buy one.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@Nic said:

@Eldorado9 said:
    Barber History from the Eugene Gardner Collection of Barber Quarters:

Great piece of history. One of Gene's all time favorite coins came from Larry. The superbly toned 01-S quarter.

Is there any plan to digitize the Gardner book? I would be interested in at least looking at one let alone buy one.

I've seen the entire set of books for sale on Ebay at approx: $1,200.00!!!!! No idea if Newman portal has them online, but they are great books, and the photo quality is very good. Really makes you appreciate the incredible collection he amassed. The quality and volume of coins was just ridiculous.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 9:15PM

Pictures for this evening... 1906-O Barber Quarter. A tougher date than many realize. This one is a quality PCGS-graded VF20.

• T

ps. Thanks @Eldorado9 for the up-to-date information on the Gardner book. The pictures I have seen are exquisite, yes. Would love to flip through the book some day. At $1200... flip through with cotton gloves it seems!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Pictures for this evening... 1906-O Barber Quarter. A tougher date than many realize. This one is a quality PCGS-graded VF20.

• T

ps. Thanks @Eldorado9 for the up-to-date information on the Gardner book. The pictures I have seen are exquisite, yes. Would love to flip through the book some day. At $1200... flip through with cotton gloves it seems!

Agreed, a tougher date than realized. My best is a raw XF, bought back in Sept, 2000.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    Agreed, a tougher date than realized. My best is a raw XF, bought back in Sept, 2000.

Frank, I would like to see a picture of that XF if you have it handy? Thanks, Tim

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

Frank, I would like to see a picture of that XF if you have it handy? Thanks, Tim

Which date was this?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

Which date was this?

'06-O quarter

• Options

Here is another date semi-tough date from San Francisco. A 1905-S Barber Quarter. This one in PCGS VF30:

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

Which date was this?

'06-O quarter

I'll try to pull it out

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I have been doing some re-imaging here as of late. The following are 1907-P dates... which one is better?

• Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote #1.
    More detail. #1 is a solid old school 40 to me. Number two is a 35 to me. Headband and wing tips show just a touch too much wear.
    But both nice original coins with only minimal marks.

• Options

Cool photo I came across:

• Options

Tim, I like #1. No contest.

Here's a newp going into The Stash. PC-58 CAC. Pix courtesy Barberkeys...

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

Unfortunately that's NOT a photo from my stash......

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@Eldorado9 said:

Unfortunately that's NOT a photo from my stash......

An X-ray of Doc's collection.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - I'd pick #1.

Wonderful V Nick, Lenny.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Here's a new addition to my 1900 Quarter Hub Variety set; a 1900 O in a PC XF 45 holder:

This is an example of the uncommon Type I OBV paired with the Type II REV; it upgrades my current XF 40. The gal looks like she served our economy well!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a new addition to my 1900 Quarter Hub Variety set; a 1900 O in a PC XF 45 holder:

This is an example of the uncommon Type I OBV paired with the Type II REV; it upgrades my current XF 40. The gal looks like she served our economy well!

Jealous Jeff! I love those XF BQ's!

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've been absent from the boards for a while. I still love the barber coins, but slowed down a lot on the collecting of barbers, but still pick up some here and there, mostly mid-grade circulated material. A few years back I bought a mostly raw set of F-VF halves. I had the best ones slabbed and those coins form the basis of my partial set on the set registry. I may slowly try to complete that set, but I'm not in any hurry. I've also bought some bullion gold, and better gold over the last 3-4 years and I'm glad to see the gold value increases recently. Once the coin shows get going again I hope to get to some big shows (hopefully working with HLRC) and maybe set up at small regional shows on my own to be a small dealer and sell off stuff I've accumulated.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

I tried to post a little bit ago and it lo" to all. I am doing well, and just retired from my practice of pathology at the first of the year. I am planning to get back to big coin shows once they open up again.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Good to hear from you, Dr. Pete.

• Options

@DrPete So nice to hear your comments and appreciate your interest in mid-circulated Barber specimens. They have a unique beauty all their own - very much agreed.

Second note: just put the wraps on another Barber Coin Collectors Society Varieties update. @JeffMTampa Jeff and I have been hard at work with the start of a varieties program refresh going back to April 1st. If you are not a part of the BCCS as a member, I recommend for you to go to http://www.barbercoins.org/ and sign up. There is so much article content nowadays that we can't fit it all in. Only $15. to cover the year with four BCCS Journals! very reasonable.

• Tim

• Options

Hi Time. Thanks for all the information on BCCS. I am a member already, and have even contributed an article some years ago. I knew Mike Hayes and sold him my 1892-O micro O, in PCGS MS 63, and a photo of that very coin is my avitar. Like all others, I miss Mike. He was a really good fellow.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Here is a photo of one of my few current mint state ba
    rber halves.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

@DrPete said:
    Here is a photo of one of my few current mint state ba
    rber halves.

Dr. Pete, that is one Damn gorgeous 93-s! Hope to bump into you at a show this year! PS, Constantly in awe of your amazing MS set, and always looking to acquire "Shireman" branded Barbers! Here's an old friend:

• Options

@DrPete said:
    Hi Tim. Thanks for all the information on BCCS. I am a member already, and have even contributed an article some years ago. I knew Mike Hayes and sold him my 1892-O micro O, in PCGS MS 63, and a photo of that very coin is my avitar. Like all others, I miss Mike. He was a really good fellow.

DrPete. Thanks for the backstory on the '92-O micro-O half dollar! I like looking at the BCCS Annual Meeting picture Mike posted Aug. 12th, 2014 (pg.1 of this thread) from the Chicago ANA at Rosemont. He is in the Salmon-colored shirt on the left and I am next to Glenn Holsonbake on the right. We had a good conversation that day. It was the last time I spoke with him other than this thread. FYI... Speaking of '92-O micro-O's, I mentioned how there are two types of '92-O micro-O's in a past finding (BCCS Journal Fall 2017 Vol. 28 No. 3 pg. 18). Type Two is the less-often seen, more normal, "fully rounded" O shape while the more common Type One "uneven" version has a thin left exterior counter wall thickness vs. the right exterior-counter of the O shape. I am curious if you ever noticed the difference out of your specimen(s)? Unfortunately, I haven't followed up on that specific article series... but the studies continue as part of the varieties coordinator role with Jeff, Steve Hustad, (and John Frost in the background for the server). - Tim

• Options

Tim, regarding mint mark shapes on the micro O halves of 1892, I did not notice that myself, but my good friend and favorite coin dealer, Harry Laibstain recognized it and brought it to my attention. He and I have seen at least 10-15 different specimens over the years. I have owned at least 8 different ones, but do not own one now.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Eldorado, That 1908 is a fantastic coin. I am glad it has a good home. My 1893-S is a 64 and has a really good strike. The toning could be prettier, but I think it is natural.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Here's another new addition to my 1900 Barber Quarter Hub Variety set. a 1900 in a PC AU 55 holder:

This is the Type III OBV paired with the Type III REV. Since this is a newly discovered variety it's the first in my set.

• Options

@JeffMTampa So cool Jeff!, nice coin too. - Tim

• Options

This thread has slipped too far down; time to post something. Here's a new pickup, a 1900 S Barber Quarter in an ANACS XF 45 holder:

Pop Quiz- can anyone tell me what Hub Variety combination this is?

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, Currently, the wingtip for Type II is supposed to touch the top of the E. Type III Reverse is to extend beyond the E. I realize I am not answering the question fully in that this specimen looks somewhere in-between? Can someone else confirm that looking at their own specimens or share their knowledge on this subject?

• Options

Here is something received yesterday by mail. What do you think is going on with this 1892-S Barber Quarter? The reverse sure seems interesting and it doesn't look like it ever was something added onto the planchet as PMD.

Thoughts are much appreciated!

• Options

Looks to me like a mount was removed from the reverse of that '92 S Tim.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also in the it used to be a button camp.

@jedm said:

• Options

I see two possibilities for the reverse of the '92 S:
    1. The die was very artistically re-engraved with a series of loops, and portions of the bars were somehow filled in. Then the coin was normally struck. or,
    2. Silver solder was applied to the back of the coin after striking.

I believe the 2nd scenario is more likely what happened, but if a second exact example can be found my opinion will change.

• Options
    edited June 6, 2021 6:38AM

@amwldcoin said:
    I'm also in the it used to be a button camp.

@jedm said:

Somewhat strong in the middle and weaker on the ends of whatever shape is impressed makes it seem like a ring or curved-like mount coming away from the coin. It seems like you are all correct on PMD. The wear makes it seem like it was done much sooner than the eventual circulation. I can live with that assessment. If there was a second specimen, I believe it would be an unfruitful lifetime of searching. Best thing to know for sure would be the testing of material content make-up of that reverse surface stuff. Anything other than 90% Ag and 10% Cu would be telling.

• Options

Good to hear from you, Dr Pete! Hope to see you at FUN!

For tonight, PCGS AU-58 CAC...

• Options

• Options

@sedulous said:

Nice looking Barber!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file