Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

P.O. Box Rent price increase

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like many of you I use a P.O. Box for security purposes. I have a 6x6 inch box and the price just went up to $188 per year!

I politely pointed out to them that the sign over by the boxes said that the semi-annual rate was $56, and they said that they must have forgotten to change that one for the past few increases. Only the sign in the lobby was official. It had pieces of tape on it with the new prices.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just checked mine.

I have the 3x5.5 I paid the semi-annual rate on 8/20 in the amount of $53.
    It looks like the new rate for my box will be $67 or $134 annual.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I downsized mine to a small box. It was getting expensive.

Trying only to sell ATM.

The few shipments I accept get me a key to a larger box.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

When is the USPS going to realize "their ain't much blood left to squeeze out of the turnip".

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I get the largest box (it holds up 8 blue boxes with room to spare) for $70 a year at my credit union.

I believe we are talking Post Office mail boxes that receive mail and not Bank or CU security boxes that do not. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 2:10PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Like many of you I use a P.O. Box for security purposes. I have a 6x6 inch box and the price just went up to $188 per year!

I pay that for a 3x5 box. Edit: $176, actually.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 3x5 box is $134 per year. Just received my notice today.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@derryb said:
    I get the largest box (it holds up 8 blue boxes with room to spare) for $70 a year at my credit union.

I believe we are talking Post Office mail boxes that receive mail and not Bank or CU security boxes that do not. ;)

my bad. In that case I made a one time payment for not only the box, but the post and the concrete for about $25 and best of all I can walk to it.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 3:42PM

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

@derryb said:

my bad. In that case I made a one time payment for not only the box, but the post and the concrete for about $25 and best of all I can walk to it.

Not everyone can do that.
    USPS wouldn't deliver to my old address.
    I had to have a PO Box.
    I actually still have one. Bout $145 a year I think. Going to let it expire this cycle.

I have one I can walk to now too. :)

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

The good thing about the mail I receive is that it almost all needs a signature, so I can get a small PO Box knowing it usually just contains a card. That said, I've been to my PO once since last March. They've been doing a nice job forwarding everything since then.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

but first class postage ...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was unilaterally close by the post office back in December, the postmaster decided to close down that whole section of PO boxes. I wasn't notified, only found out when an auction win was returned to the auction house with PO Box closed stamp on it.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their service has decline noticeably in the past year so why not raise the rates... Seems that is what most service companies do?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 4:56PM

Maybe Bezos will but them out and fix it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just paid $28 rent for 6 months for my 3x5 post office box.
    Maybe I'll get a rate hike in the summer?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

P.O. Box rates, effective 01.24.21, are on page 36 here.

To determine the current cost for a "competitive location", enter the applicable zip code here.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

so much for complaining. i think i get mine under $100 annually and thought that was a lot. starting to think it is costing close $10 a month here soon BUT now i see some of your prices and yowza.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Maybe Bezos will but them out and fix it.

bezos loves usps, they taxpayers subsidize his deliveries.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mailbox hangs just outside my front door on a covered/enclosed porch, and the mailperson delivers directly into it... every day except Sunday.... Works fine and fee free... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just asked at my post office and boxes there did not increase. phew :)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    My mailbox hangs just outside my front door on a covered/enclosed porch, and the mailperson delivers directly into it... every day except Sunday.... Works fine and fee free... Cheers, RickO

There are places where that wouldn't work, you know. Not everybody gets mail delivered to their homes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG .... Yep... Just fortunate to live in such an area....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

Supply and demand.

50 cents a day for the privacy/convenience/security of a PO box is still well worth it. Especially in these covid days of no signatures.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! It's actually easier for them to deliver to a PO Box so they used to just charge a small handling fee. Mine charged less than $10 annually for years and years.

I guess they figured out that people would pay more so they upped the rates.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@cladking said:
    Wow! It's actually easier for them to deliver to a PO Box so they used to just charge a small handling fee.

wow, an obvious and good point and one that i hadn't considered too much. makes perfectly logical sense.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Mine was unilaterally close by the post office back in December, the postmaster decided to close down that whole section of PO boxes. I wasn't notified, only found out when an auction win was returned to the auction house with PO Box closed stamp on it.

The problem is that they mailed you a notice, but they couldn't deliver it because your box had been closed.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2021 2:44PM

I pay $600/month for a parking space, $700/month for a storage unit, $175/month cable, and $250/month for cell phones...life ain't cheap!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2021 3:04PM

@RichR said:
    I pay $600/month for a parking space, $700/month for a storage unit, $175/month cable, and $250/month for cell phones...life ain't cheap!

Don't forget drugs and alcohol !
    Oh , and Netfilx......

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget drugs and alcohol !
    Oh , and Netfilx......

Oh yes...
    Food...$200/month
    Alcohol...$2000/month
    Drugs...Priceless!

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid $326 last year. I don't know about 2021 yet.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the smallest size box at a small town PO.

I've trained the ladies there to not fold anything so I don't need a larger box.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

they taken to the cram for me. almost always fine. can't describe when to not cram, so I've let it happen.

as for the price increase. unsure on mine as the other half writes the check. I'll pay a rate hike since they take ups & fedex stuff and hold it for me.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2021 6:02AM

mine just jumped to $59 for 6 months and i was deciding how much it is really worth to me. was going to go ahead and eat it because of a few reasons but i waited a day too long and they wanted a 39% late fee. the box was let go.

how are others 2021 price hikes?

edited to add. i was/am partially sensitive to the cost as i may not have paid exact attention to the costs the past few years but it was nagging that the amounts had jumped enough i should take notice. just checked my tax files as i have them readily accessible via thumb drive.

2019 - $80 annually
    2020 - $92 annually
    2021 - $118 annually

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

2020 $254, 2021 $322. That is a 26.8% increase.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ours is an expensive hobby. If you are comfortable receiving your coins at home, great...but if you need a post office box for security, then you gotta pay. I rarely have coins shipped to me at home.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 11:48AM

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    Ours is an expensive hobby. If you are comfortable receiving your coins at home, great...but if you need a post > > office box for security, then you gotta pay. I rarely have coins shipped to me at home.

that was pretty much the deal-breaker for me, i've only been buying at shops.

for security, it is worth much more than they are asking to avoid what could possibly happen otherwise though.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Up to 10 years ago, I had a UPS Store box at somewhat less than the price quoted in the OP. I had the smallest one for mail but they would just hold my packages. There was no need for a larger one.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I have the same setup. It's an enclosed porch that is about 4'X6' with a mailbox and plenty of room on the floor for large packages.

Renting a PO Box where I live is expensive. It costs $246 annually for a 5" X 5.5".

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It cost me $251.

• Options

Why I prefer a PO box:

-How many times have you received mail at home intended for someone else, written "Not at this address" on it and gave it back to the PO?

-How many times have you received mail with "Not at this address" written on it?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

@derryb said:

And so can others should they so choose. Are you always there to beat em to the punch?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

@MasonG said:
    Why I prefer a PO box:

-How many times have you received mail at home intended for someone else, written "Not at this address" on it and gave it back to the PO?

-How many times have you received mail with "Not at this address" written on it?

Only for a prior resident for where I owned or rented.

• Options

I've written "Not at this address" and clipped the envelope back to my mailbox for the mail carrier dozens of times in my life. I have yet to receive a piece of mail addressed to me with "Not at this address" written on it.

Seems odd.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

A box has gotten very high but I really do not have a choice.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2021 2:40PM

Have had mine since 1995. It has gone up, but it's worth it.

Have had my mail stolen out of my home mail box on multiple occasions.

Never gets left outside like FedEx, UPS and Amazon do.

The benefitsfar outweigh the negatives, which are pretty much only the cost.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillyKingsley said:
    Have had mine since 1995. It has gone up, but it's worth it.

Have had my mail stolen out of my home mail box on multiple occasions.

Never gets left outside like FedEx, UPS and Amazon do.

The benefitsfar outweigh the negatives, which are pretty much only the cost.

I've had mine for as long and I agree. But mine has climbed to over $400/year. More than a safe deposit box!

• Options

@pruebas said:

But mine has climbed to over $400/year. More than a safe deposit box!

I pay for a safe deposit box (about $150 for a 5X10) but paying for both at your rate would border on making it uneconomical to collect for me given my budget.

• Options

I was just checking this now. When I got mine 20 years ago, it was $50 a year, now:

2019 $140
    2020 $150
    2021 $176
    2022 $216

This is crazy. I'm going to probably move or cancel this year.

• Options

Mine went up to $185 this year. Five years ago, it was $125.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file