Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

P.O. Box Rent price increase

2»

Comments

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2022 5:03PM

I pay about $52.00 every 6 months. I got access to it 24 hours a day.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the porch pirates, the demand for PO boxes has gone up, even in the Amazon Prime (taking over a huge swath of the delivery market) environment.

I have the small one. If it won't fit, they either put a temp catch key in the box and the stuff in a bigger box for retrieval or a card to to a counter pick up. Never really needed any more than that.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

My therory is that they are increasing the cost for all the time and storage needed to manage the increases in online ordering like Amazon. I see pallets and pallets of Amazon packages at my PO with no where for them to really go if they are for a PO Box. You may have a 3x5 box but could be occupying a whole shelf full of packages out back. 5 years ago I don’t think this was as much of an issue.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live very rural, small town, no mail delivery. They provide a complementary PO Box which is awesome.
    So move to a tiny town and perhaps this will be available. 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

inflation is up big time, post office needs to pay rent and salary as well. Their expenses also is up too. That's why we need to buy coins, gold and silver to hedge with inflation.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I just got notice that my box would auto renew this morning. $182!
    I thought that sounded high, so I went back to last year and saw it was $40 cheaper.
    Man, this is quite an increase.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think P Box increases are bad....just take a step back and look how much it costs to ship compared to a few years ago. The PO Box is costing me a few extra buck a year. The shipping costs increases are more than a thousand a year(don't feel like doing the math to see if I can add an s to thousand!). Yes some can be passed along, but not all.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    If you think P Box increases are bad....just take a step back and look how much it costs to ship compared to a few years ago. The PO Box is costing me a few extra buck a year. The shipping costs increases are more than a thousand a year(don't feel like doing the math to see if I can add an s to thousand!). Yes some can be passed along, but not all.

I know what you mean. I remember when a one ounce bubble envelope was around thirty or forty cents.

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

Mine:
    Comes with the territory.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is up only $10 this year. $422 -> $432.

Still worth it to me, but it does cost more than my SDB.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I live very rural, small town, no mail delivery. They provide a complementary PO Box which is awesome.
    So move to a tiny town and perhaps this will be available. "

Fortunately I have the complementary PO Box also. One of the benefits of living in Tiny Town. Though I do expect that will likely end some day... especially given the inflation leap of the past couple of years. The USPS is also getting hammered with fuel costs, etc.... just a matter of time before the cost is passed on to the customers. Possibly even those with mailboxes at home may end up with "yearly delivery fee" of some sort?

----- kj
  • Options
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I to live in a small town. Box delivery at the house. A few years ago I had a problem with the neighborhood delinquent getting in my mailbox. Witnessed it myself. Yes, I had a talk with his dad. Still don't trust him though. So now my local P.O. keeps all packages at the post office and I stop in every 3 days. Sooner if tracking shows it's arrived. Small town life.....love it.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I live very rural, small town, no mail delivery. They provide a complementary PO Box which is awesome.
    So move to a tiny town and perhaps this will be available. 😉🙀🦫

I lived in a small town like this, except that there were not enough of the complementary small boxes to go around so I had to pay full price for a larger box. Not even a discount. To get a free box, you just needed to wait for somebody to move or die. Thanks, USPS!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mason.
    While it does sound a little goolish, same game up here. I’ve had my box for 25 years and I see em. Lurking around, waiting for me to expire 😂

You understand how tiny town news works 🤨 . Well up here it’s the grocery store and the post office where the local news gets shared. It’s all starting to make sense 🧐
    The post office is where everyone posts an 8 x 11 obituary notification.
    Yes sir, it’s hard to get a P.O. Box 🙀🦫😂 but talk about getting in on recent availability and getting in line quickly 😂. Never occurred to me that the “box lurkers 👀 “ probably use the info 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

I was there two years and never really got close to the front of the line. I suppose if I had stayed, I'd eventually get one. Probably about three days before I died.

• Options

I was wondering:
    How do they determine how much people pay for a PO Box from one town to another?

I rent a PO Box a few miles from where I live. The reason is, if I rented the PO Box where I live, I would have to pay twice as much as I am paying now.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    I was wondering:
    How do they determine how much people pay for a PO Box from one town to another?

I rent a PO Box a few miles from where I live. The reason is, if I rented the PO Box where I live, I would have to pay twice as much as I am paying now.

I always wondered this too. I used to think it was demand-driven, but now I think it’s more based on how much rent that particular PO pays for their location.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

@derryb said:
    I get the largest box (it holds up 8 blue boxes with room to spare) for $70 a year at my credit union.

I believe we are talking Post Office mail boxes that receive mail and not Bank or CU security boxes that do not. ;)

my bad. In that case I made a one time payment for not only the box, but the post and the concrete for about $25 and best of all I can walk to it.

Is it locked so that only you and the postman can open it ? Do you feel secure knowing that people know you receive and keep coins at your house?

thefinn
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

@derryb said:
    I get the largest box (it holds up 8 blue boxes with room to spare) for $70 a year at my credit union.

I believe we are talking Post Office mail boxes that receive mail and not Bank or CU security boxes that do not. ;)

my bad. In that case I made a one time payment for not only the box, but the post and the concrete for about $25 and best of all I can walk to it.

Is it locked so that only you and the postman can open it ? Do you feel secure knowing that people know you receive and keep coins at your house?

no lock necessary. i feel secure because people do not know I receive and keep coins at the house.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LorneReams said:
    I was just checking this now. When I got mine 20 years ago, it was $50 a year, now:

2019 $140
    2020 $150
    2021 $176
    2022 $216

This is crazy. I'm going to probably move or cancel this year.

Same 23% increase for me.

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in a very expensive area. The XS boxes (3x5) topped $200 per year for the first time at many local POs (mine is “only” $180). If I only buy 3-4 coins per year (which should be my target, both discipline’s sake and given my collecting goals), the amortized cost of the PO Box would be around $50 per coin (!). I guess the only solution for maximizing my PO Box utility is to buy more coins 😁.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file