Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

April 2021 Pickups... Show us what you got!

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Stephen, congrats on the Coody meet up!

Too much great stuff in this thread to single out all the cards I love, but the Jorge Bells bring me back, great player. And of course I love the Randy Moss 1/1 !

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    Got an order back from PSA recently. These are my favorites of the keepers from the order.

Great assortment of cards there !

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note: The bottle caps seen above are gradable now, designated by PSA as 1967-68 Coca-Cola Caps V8 Mickey Mantle, with Fresca, Tab and Coke variations.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    After selling my 1960s 5-cent wax pack run (13 packs) plus doubles (1962, 1964, 1968) rated #2 on the PSA Registry at the time...I decided to go on a buying spree:

I may need to respectfully ask you to start your own post, you are making the rest of us look bad. :D Gorgeous cards brother, congrats on those pickups.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Jeff! I appreciate your comments and had to lol. It is always nice to be recognized by your peers...such a nice compliment!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

61 auto

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2021 1:11PM

@DJJazzBass said:
    Another oddball find. 2 of the same 6 card sheets from 1974.

these are cool. think they came outta a magazine called dynamite?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

A guy with 600 HR's.

I'm amused. In case no one else wishes to check, Sosa had a whopping 17 sacrifice bunts in his 18 year career.

• Options
    DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@DJJazzBass said:
    Another oddball find. 2 of the same 6 card sheets from 1974.

>

these are cool. think they came outta a magazine called dynamite?

Thank you very much! You are right. I found some pics online. That would explain the staple holes in the same spots too.

Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

3x All-Star, 2x AL MVP, 6x Silver Slugger, 2x AL HR Leader, .295 Career Hitter

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son hit this in my sub I just got back. He decided to deal it to me.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    3x All-Star, 2x AL MVP, 6x Silver Slugger, 2x AL HR Leader, .295 Career Hitter

And 434 home runs. It's a bit surprising he peaked at 5.2% on the HoF ballot. I've said before that there are hundreds of players I'd put in before him, but he really seemed to have the numbers the BBWAA liked.

• Options

@rexvos said:

Ah ha, hush dat fuss
    Everybody move to da back of THE BUS

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I added this vintage rookie in April of Hoot...despite the sickening Pepto Bismol Pink. I tend to shy away from SGC cards (this is only my 4th SGC addition out of 117 cards...all others are PSA)...but fell in love with this beauty!

It checked three boxes typically plaguing the issue: centering, color (avoiding the washed out image on many copies) and registration.

Nice pick-up! The colors pop on that Gibson. If you cannot stand that it is SGC down the road maybe I can take it off your hands like I did your ‘63 Berra!

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

Hopefully there was a family discount involved. Nice card.

• Options

@Tibor said:

@rexvos said:

Hopefully there was a family discount involved. Nice card.

He wanted my 2004 Topps Chrome Sean Taylor PSA 10. So I gave it to him and then gave him some spending money. College student

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    My 11th Palmer card need 5 more.

Great card....I have a nice raw version in my "send to PSA" stack. I guess it will stay "slabbed" in a one-touch magnetic for a while longer. sigh

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    Now that the set registry checklists have been updated added 4 new items to my Nomar registry. Have a bunch of re-slabs in to PSA that will be a while that also can be added when returned. . The Holo Purple i thought had a shot at a 10- happy with the Mint 9. Most Pacific cards are torture on getting Gem 10 on. Most Elite PC come out damaged those packs suck. The EX and TT Prime sat forever til I decided to protect them.

>

Nomah!

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I'm collecting the 1968 Venezuelan Topps Red Sox team set. Was very happy with this upgrade over my previous raw/trimmed copy:

I'm a huge Providence College basketball fan. Just got this back from a private signing, my 7th auto from the 1991 PC All Time Greats set:

My other autos from the set are Lenny Wilkens, Rick Pitino, Rick Barnes, Marvin Barnes, Ernie DiGregorio and Joe Hassett. I know there are a couple more PC fans on CU, so if you'd like to see scans of any of those, feel free to PM.

Other than that, just some random autos and mem cards I've picked up. Most were via Facebook trades.

Edgar Rent-a-wreck. Man that guy.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Doerr!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    How about a Brewers Rack - Mike Caldwell became one and was darn good.......

OH!! and "The Kid" ROOKIE, almost forgot!!

I like it; yeah that's cool.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:

@stwainfan said:
    My 11th Palmer card need 5 more.

Great card....I have a nice raw version in my "send to PSA" stack. I guess it will stay "slabbed" in a one-touch magnetic for a while longer. sigh

Thanks I hope you get it graded.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    Love the back...! Low pop JR rookie, only 20 graded, 11 higher, no 10's.

man griffey looked really young.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    A double Cowboy pack and another random Reggie this week

I like the Reggie. After getting the two back in my sub recently, I have been hunting for more

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    For me, this is the best type of card because it’s flaws are well hidden. This is most definitely a low grade card but I really think it has retained some really incredible beauty. And I don’t mean with lighting tricks and blurry pictures. That’s disingenuous at best and deceitful at worst. So, here’s a nice high resolution scan, too, that shows just how well hidden the flaws are so you can decide for yourself and, if inclined, tell me what you think:

Truthfully, I was semi inspired by @Geoff76 and his thread on looking to pickup a nice looking Mantle for $600 (not that I need more reasons). I think this card would end up in a PSA 1.5 holder at worst and maybe a PSA 3 holder (based on my assessment using an up to date interpretation of PSA’s technical grading standards) at best but on that budget it’s a pretty solid card with enough budget left to buy another decent All Star card or send this to Newport Beach later this summer when the proper tier reopens.

Oh! How I love beautiful low grade cards.

Winner Congrats!

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 8:40AM

@WFFL said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    For me, this is the best type of card because it’s flaws are well hidden. This is most definitely a low grade card but I really think it has retained some really incredible beauty. And I don’t mean with lighting tricks and blurry pictures. That’s disingenuous at best and deceitful at worst. So, here’s a nice high resolution scan, too, that shows just how well hidden the flaws are so you can decide for yourself and, if inclined, tell me what you think:

Truthfully, I was semi inspired by @Geoff76 and his thread on looking to pickup a nice looking Mantle for $600 (not that I need more reasons). I think this card would end up in a PSA 1.5 holder at worst and maybe a PSA 3 holder (based on my assessment using an up to date interpretation of PSA’s technical grading standards) at best but on that budget it’s a pretty solid card with enough budget left to buy another decent All Star card or send this to Newport Beach later this summer when the proper tier reopens.

Oh! How I love beautiful low grade cards.

Winner Congrats!

Thank you; and if I may be even more upfront about condition, it could honestly - on a really bad day - maybe even draw a grade of PSA 1.

Like it or not, I think there are some cards that fall into a range that can at times seem to be wide and we all want that ‘best possible grade’ assigned but it can’t really work that way; that’s a bitter pill to take if you’re not prepared. And PSA 1-3 is a pretty broad range (and I mean that without any regard to value, where it can obviously be even more massive and important to people, by differences of even .5 and then think about a 2 point swing?) that I’ve tossed out but that’s why you seek out ones where price and eye appeal collide to create desire...😉

My dad drilled into me when I was a kid It’s ok to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst and know it probably will split the difference.

Thanks again for the kind words,@WFFL

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭