Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA no longer accepting submissions until July 1

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:

@Vagabond said:
    I'm already cringing just thinking of what The National will look like this year overall. It's going to be like New York on New Years Eve as everyone stands and waits for 14 hours for the ball to drop. Everyone packed in like sardines.

I bet PSA does not set up.. for subs at least

agree. i never got to go out and play if my homework wasn't done.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@blurryface said:

i would assume any 4sc deals expired or became null & void w the transfer of ownership. one would think the timing & implementation of a consignment operation at this juncture would help solidify that. couple that with the crazy prices of all things wax these days and that severely limits their old business model. a consignment operation completely contradicts the early business model of 4sc.

I would assume the new owner would honor any agreement (if any) with 4sc, at least temporarily. Guaranteed long term revenue is what most businesses strive for. The "deal" might have been renegotiated, but I'll bet PSA is still accepting cards from them.

@demondeacs said:
    I hope they'll announce the new rates (if there are changes) in advance. With submissions closed, I don't really see what harm it could do. Then dealers and collectors can decide which cards they'll send to PSA when everything's back up and which cards they'll sell raw or send elsewhere.

"New rates"? Maybe pro football will drop pricing next year too. I would be shocked if there are any price drops.

On a different note, I wonder if there has been a huge increase in non sports card (Pokemon) submissions that may be driving this demand for grading?

Drop? Obviously rates will increase if there's a change. But it would be better to get some heads up before July 1st if value order prices go up.

The only thing this changes for me is uncertainty about what will still be practical to grade in bulk when they re-open.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2021 8:19AM

prices are only going to do one thing. and that's go up. let's not kid ourselves, the new owners are very savvy businessmen. the main goal is profit, not to have warehouses full of base cards to store & insure. prices will continue to go up until that magic equation of supply equaling demand is in harmony.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:

PSA used to need guys like 4sharp to submit 10K cards a month at a low rate but to have the guaranteed revenue and to facilitate a secondary market, that does not seem to be the case anymore so will they just dump all these players as well. interesting times that just keep getting more interesting ......

I wonder if that's why 4SC pivoted to a consignment business model?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

PSA used to need guys like 4sharp to submit 10K cards a month at a low rate but to have the guaranteed revenue and to facilitate a secondary market, that does not seem to be the case anymore so will they just dump all these players as well. interesting times that just keep getting more interesting ......

I wonder if that's why 4SC pivoted to a consignment business model?

Maybe they thought they were leaving money on the table in the current environment.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

as long as modern breakers can submit almost all the cards immediately and have a market for them , there is no way the classic collectors will get cheaper grading fees because there will always be more business that PSA can handle.

This is what has me spooked. I'm working on a mid-high grade PSA 1955 Topps baseball set and even there, $20 a card is a lot to grade a NM common. In many cases, there really aren't a lot of PSA 7-8 slabs of some of the commons that aren't are locked up in Registry sets, so grading can be a feasible way to add to one's collection. My other planned projects are childhood sets like 1981 Topps baseball with lots of low-pop commons. I feel like one needs a combination of existing slabs and submitting to make major progress at set-appropriate grades of 9-10 for those. It's hard enough to find raw cards with Mint centering, and at $20 per card it doesn't make much sense to grade them. This will only get worse when prices increase again after the restart. I'm finally at a point where I can do some of the collecting things I've wanted to do, but I don't really want to spend $30,000+ on a PSA 9+ set of 1981 Topps, LOL. But, I can't really blame PSA for doing the things that will make them the most money.

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I think many of the cards PSA has received are those that were trying to beat the price increase. I am sure they are receiving less cards now that those cards have all been shipped and accepted. Some of the wording was still vague. I am glad that they have suspended grading for the time being. But I do not think that they will have huge price increases when they get back to a new normal sometime next year. It wouldn’t be a good idea to run off the set registry builders.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    More cards in three days than the first three months.

WOW

When everyone found out about the price increase they shipped out as many cards as they could. You only had to send 20 cards per order. Now if the minimum is 250 or 500 cards per order, the number of orders would be manageable.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Wow the lines at the National will be insane. Those could very well be their next submissions.

I wouldn’t bet on it man. This covid is spreading again. Here in Michigan I just got sent home from work to quarantine again cuz of all the positive tests. It could be canceled or limited, hope I’m wrong.

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:

@brad31 said:
    Wow the lines at the National will be insane. Those could very well be their next submissions.

I wouldn’t bet on it man. This covid is spreading again. Here in Michigan I just got sent home from work to quarantine again cuz of all the positive tests. It could be canceled or limited, hope I’m wrong.

no reason not to stay optimistic about the national happening, i just wouldn't bet on it.

esp considering the inner politics of chicago.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Random thought while I am sure PSA is looking at a lot of options. I have seen Registry Builders mentioned, but not really addressed. I mean the BIGGEST issue from that standpoint is there will be 100's of Thousands and Thousands of different cards in 100's and 100's of sets that aren't barely worth Grading Now at $10-$15 retail prices for PSA 8's & 9"s (Now), there are going to be A lot who are not going to afford a Ground Floor of $20+. I already pulled about 100 random Cards that Won't Ever be going to PSA now at the New prices that were in my Sub Box.

My idea is at some point in the future, And I am sure it would take some work, but to keep one of you Customer Bases? Worth it!

So it would mean running a second Tier Submission level for Commons. In other words for most Commons in Sets, BB, BasK, Foot, Hock, Non ect, when you fill out the form (Which will have been modified of course.) When you enter a Common it takes it, no problem. If you enter a Card that has a More Recent (Sales, VCP, SMR PSA Pop???) that are say 3X more than a Common (Or some other type of filtering system), then the Form will prompt you that this Card cannot be submitted at this Service Level and must go to the next Service level up. Or PSA could indicate in their Pop which is deemed a Common, Or?

That way you could have a Sub of Commons at say $8-$10 with the next level being $15 or $20.

Idea that hasn't been fleshed out but just thoughts!

Thanks

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

So it would mean running a second Tier Submission level for Commons. In other words for most Commons in Sets, BB, BasK, Foot, Hock, Non ect, when you fill out the form (Which will have been modified of course.) When you enter a Common it takes it, no problem. If you enter a Card that has a More Recent (Sales, VCP, SMR PSA Pop???) that are say 3X more than a Common (Or some other type of filtering system), then the Form will prompt you that this Card cannot be submitted at this Service Level and must go to the next Service level up. Or PSA could indicate in their Pop which is deemed a Common, Or?

>

Neil

I think it was @AFLfan who said PSA is discussing options for set builders.

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@addicted2ebay said:

@brad31 said:

no reason not to stay optimistic about the national happening, i just wouldn't bet on it.

esp considering the inner politics of chicago.

https://chicagosportsspectacular.com/

They just canceled a show that was supposed to take place in June at the same convention center as the National. Hopefully the National is still going to happen but not such a good sign.

• Options

With the PSA suspension until July. I am curious about what everyone is planning to do. Are people going to wait for July, are people going to give other companies a try, or are people going to wait and see how things develop. I had a bulk submission ready to go and not sure how to proceed. Has anyone ever used CSG?

• Options
    gobraves39401gobraves39401 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

@robotur said:
    With the PSA suspension until July. I am curious about what everyone is planning to do. Are people going to wait for July, are people going to give other companies a try, or are people going to wait and see how things develop. I had a bulk submission ready to go and not sure how to proceed. Has anyone ever used CSG?

Same here.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not using another company for multiple reasons. Here are the main 2

1. I am a collector first and only want things graded in a PSA case because it is what I prefer
    2. When I resale why would I devalue my card with going with a lesser brand? None of the other TPGs compare in my opinion to price.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I don't submit much now, but will wait and see when July comes around.

• Options

just read on ig that sgc tripled their prices?

• Options

Wow, thats crazy. will all the other companies follow?

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Yep; https://www.gosgc.com/update-20210401

No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

April Fools from SGC?

Jim

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@AlanAllen said:

@blurryface said:

Yep; https://www.gosgc.com/update-20210401

No reason to switch TPG now. I’ll wait this out. Agree with above statement, no need to devalue my cards.

• Options

@burghman said:
    April Fools from SGC?

don't care enough to check! 😉

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

The biggest reason I will be waiting for years is I do not want the grader of death and it seems apparent the grading process is stricter now.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I think all this will do is create an even larger backlog once submissions open back up on July 1st. You will have 3 months of pent-up demand pouring into PSA once its opened back up. That can only be mitigated by limiting the size of and/or number of submissions and through substantial price increases which would discourage the submission of lower valued cards.

In the near term, values for cards of all price ranges may start to head higher as the spigot of freshly graded cards hitting the market gets turned off.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options

the flood gates won't all open at once...they'll open up the levels from top down and control the flow accordingly. it's not gonna be like toys r us at 5am on black friday.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing to buy, at least at prices that I feel are reasonable. Nothing to submit as PSA takes this break. Do I really have to spend quality time with my wife and kids now?????what am I supposed to do???

• Options
    winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 8:47PM

@robotur said:

SGC just tripled prices today and the HGA lottery for their 550 or so 5 card sub spots (max submit size) for today ( they do 2 a week) was subscribed by a Top Shot-ian 33000 people and crashed their server. Beckett drowning, CSG getting massive inflo and the bet is they have to do some or all of the above very soon or will be in the same backlog boat SGC was and PSA is in now.

So, yeah. All of a sudden it's a a real @#$% to even get your card subbed anywhere in a time not measured in multiple seasons without ponying up 3 figures.

• Options

@weaselpuppy said:

@robotur said:

SGC just tripled prices today and the HGA lottery for their 550 or so 5 card sub spots (max submit size) for today ( they do 2 a week) was subscribed by a Top Shot-ian 33000 people and crashed their server. Beckett drowning, CSG getting massive inflo and the bet is they have to do some or all of the above very soon or will be in the same backlog boat SGC was and PSA is in now.

So, yeah. All of a sudden it's a a real @#$% to even get your card subbed anywhere in a time not measured in multiple seasons without ponying up 3 figures.

listen all of ya'll, it's a sabotage. 😈

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice tab you have open to the far right winter

As George Steinbrenner's character on Seinfeld said "Just empty calories and male curiosity hey Georgie?"

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    the flood gates won't all open at once...they'll open up the levels from top down and control the flow accordingly. it's not gonna be like toys r us at 5am on black friday.

It might be reasonable to limit the number of subs that can be completed on any given level on any given day. You know, something like "Express Submissions have reached their limit for today. Please complete your submission tomorrow.", you know, like they do with the call back queue at least on the coin side.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2021 10:34PM

I just sent a 30 card submission to Beckett today before they shut down shop. They are going to get flooded with modern.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

I realize we are on a PSA forum but has anyone used SGC before? Does an SGC graded card bring as much as a PSA graded card when you sell it? I’ve only used PSA for grading because they are the only reputable service I have found that offered bulk/value discounts and their cards sold for the highest value although BCGS has had roughly the same selling value but they are much more expensive when you factor in discounts for bulk at PSA. I can’t see paying SGC $75 per card anytime soon but if they were to gain a little value in the coming months, in terms of selling, then I could possibly consider it.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Just snuck a 30 card Iverson/Garnett/Ray Allen rookie sub into CSG as a test and before they jack prices or close doors...good test on some vwry good condition mid level 90s basketball rookies...see how things go. $15 a card w what they say is 40 biz day TAT...we will see....

SGC? Never have used them. Flips look terrible, like if Soviet Russia circa 1979 designed them.

• Options

I have subbed to SGC many times, but years ago. Not these insane prices. According to the net54 forum, SGC is the most consistent grading company on the planet. Especially on vintage pre 1960 cards. And their holders look awesome.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I have subbed to SGC many times, but years ago. Not these insane prices. According to the net54 forum, SGC is the most consistent grading company on the planet. Especially on vintage pre 1960 cards. And their holders look awesome.

There is a1962 Topps Foitball set on eBay with SGC keys and it looks amazing.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@parthur1607 said:

@blurryface said:

I realize we are on a PSA forum but has anyone used SGC before? Does an SGC graded card bring as much as a PSA graded card when you sell it? I’ve only used PSA for grading because they are the only reputable service I have found that offered bulk/value discounts and their cards sold for the highest value although BCGS has had roughly the same selling value but they are much more expensive when you factor in discounts for bulk at PSA. I can’t see paying SGC $75 per card anytime soon but if they were to gain a little value in the coming months, in terms of selling, then I could possibly consider it.

I sold an SGC 1960 common a long time ago. An SGC '9'. It barely brought $10. The PSA counterpart brought over $100. Now I know that is a poor sample size, as it was just one high grade common. But that kind of soured me on SGC. Maybe the stars do better?

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbyw8469 said:

@parthur1607 said:

@blurryface said:

I sold an SGC 1960 common a long time ago. An SGC '9'. It barely brought $10. The PSA counterpart brought over $100. Now I know that is a poor sample size, as it was just one high grade common. But that kind of soured me on SGC. Maybe the stars do better?

Before the fees increases, it was really convenient to be able to buy SGC graded cards at a reduced price and sub them for crossover to PSA. While the sales value of the SGC holder was not as high, their grading standards were/are right in line with PSA's (unlike BVG for example), so an even crossover was a fair expectation on just about every purchase.

• Options
    AvardanAvardan Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited April 2, 2021 5:56AM

Anything pre-war I submit to SGC. They provide an explanation for any "A's" that they might assign (authentic, altered). THAT is something I haven't seen another company do. Oh, and I love the holders - really frames T-cards nicely as they are all custom fit.

Collecting...
    1978 Topps Baseball autograph set
    1952 Topps Baseball raw

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved SGC’s old holder. Hate their new one. Their 100 point scale was also unique, but it is gone as well. Prices do not compare to PSA on anything that is post war.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

SGC never used qualifier designations. Quite a few min. size req, are in their slabs. Once bitten, twice shy.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is where my heads at. I don't resell, all my stuff is for my collection. And while I'd like to grade a few hundred cards with PSA, I will just wait it out. Have to believe this is a cycle that will settle down at some point.

@Cakes said:
    The biggest reason I will be waiting for years is I do not want the grader of death and it seems apparent the grading process is stricter now.

• Options

@weaselpuppy said:
    Just snuck a 30 card Iverson/Garnett/Ray Allen rookie sub into CSG as a test and before they jack prices or close doors...good test on some vwry good condition mid level 90s basketball rookies...see how things go. $15 a card w what they say is 40 biz day TAT...we will see....

SGC? Never have used them. Flips look terrible, like if Soviet Russia circa 1979 designed them.

Agree that is one ugly flip. I like the older one with the numeric grade but the new one is awful. They should definitely fire that designer.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@bobbyw8469 said:

@parthur1607 said:

@blurryface said:

Before the fees increases, it was really convenient to be able to buy SGC graded cards at a reduced price and sub them for crossover to PSA. While the sales value of the SGC holder was not as high, their grading standards were/are right in line with PSA's (unlike BVG for example), so an even crossover was a fair expectation on just about every purchase.

I looked up several cards on eBay that were SGC graded and I have to agree that the ones that graded 10 did look just as good as any PSA 10. I’ve seen plenty of cards listed that were graded by other companies as a 10 but I wouldn’t even give them an 8. Some of these other companies have to gain more notoriety during these strange times but I won’t pay the same price at another company, as I would at PSA, if I can’t get the same selling value. SGC is trying to tout how fast their turnaround times are. I’m not really paying for the turnaround time I’m paying for the reputation, although a reasonable turnaround time is an added bonus, but I can wait a few extra months to get my stuff back from PSA. Well I could before they stopped receiving anyway.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@weaselpuppy said:

@robotur said:

Yup. I've got tons of items I wanted to get graded by PSA before the beginning of World Cup, November 21, 2022. With subs opportunity and turnaround times being what they are, that does not appear to be possible anymore. April 2, 2021 through November 21, 2022 and I'm now convinced that that is not enough time.

• Options
    surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭

^Truth. My nana loves the modern frosted glass look on her cherished Rock Hudson psa flip. Says frosted glass is all the rage with the ladies in her crochet club and they think she's the luckiest nana in the whole world.

• Options

PSA ends submissions until July(except high dollar). SGC triples their prices the next day. So far, no word from Beckett, but read somewhere that they will cease submissions next week.

Ignore list -Basebal21