Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you do for a living?!

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had one job or another that required everything I knew.

I don't know anything though, and usually refer to myself as a disabled ditch digger. I still dig more ditches than the average guy. ...go figure.

I don't know nothin' about birthin' no babies, insurance sales, or law enforcement.

Tempus fugit.
  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rodebaugh said:
    I toil away my days in the dark damp enamel mines.

PMD; repaired. Sometimes cleaning IS good!! :D

• dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:
    Like many here I do a variety of things.

My full time profession (full time ++ that is in a 24/7/365 field) is a physician. I'm a cardiac anesthesiologist at a large quanternary care medical center and Level 1 Trauma Center. Among other roles I'm also the Director of Trauma Anesthesia and of Airway Management. I have a teaching faculty appointment at the med school as well. Teaching med students, residents and fellows is something that I very much enjoy. I'm in my 23rd year of practice post fellowship.

Our hospital has seen over 5000 COVID patients which has made for a very difficult year as we're the ones putting the breathing tubes in COVID patients as well as (in the case of the cardiac anesthesia section) doing the ultrasound imaging (TEE) to guide the cardiac surgeons as they put the sickest COVID patients on a form of life support called ECMO. Our hospital has had great success w COVID ECMO saving many patients who would have otherwise died. All of these are extremely aerosolizing procedures w respect to infectious risk in taking care of COVID pts.

I've been involved in teaching tactical medicine since 2002 for various schools, LE agencies and occasionally for govt agencies.

Somewhat of an offshoot of the latter I've been a Sworn Deputy Sheriff since 2002.

I'm a certified law enforcement and civilian firearms instructor. I work in this capacity very part time as time permits and need arises. I'm a life long competitive shooter, an interest that I picked up from my father. My interest in both trauma medicine and shooting led me to the tactical medicine field as is the case for many if not most tac med docs.

I've been a certified PADI Divemaster since '95. Unfortunately, I've not had time to teach in years. Looking forward to getting back into that when I cut my hours back eventually.

I've collected coins on and off since my early childhood when my father shared his albums w me. He was born in '31 and collected since he was a child. I share the hobby w my two sons .

This is a great thread. What in interesting and great group of folks. Thanks to those who have contributed and to the OP. It's been a fun read while on call in the hospital and not being able to sleep at 03:00.

This is me in the latest in COVID attire at our hospital. Sure hoping and praying for better times ahead....

Wow! You are an upstanding individual!!

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Very interesting thread and your not a sexy little redhead named Ginger :/

From 86 to 01: I was the little red light that looks like a service tech that flashes on your copier when it’s broke.
    From 01 to now: I’m the guy you call when you’re pissed off because the little red guy didn’t fix it right the first time, and then me and little red guy get to have a nice little talk.
    Wouldn’t change back for the world.
    Been collecting for over 3 plus years ;)

We need some more buttons 😂😂

@Proofmorgan said:
    I’m the Pharmacy Director at a hospital. Collected mint products and pocket change with dad as a kid. Started collecting seriously in 2012.

Covid has really out my collecting on hold for quite some time . Lack of shows, travel restrictions at work, and overall business. Managing the rollout, storage, and administration of Covid vaccines has dominated by life as of late.

Looking forward to getting back in the collecting groove soon.

Sorry the pandemic has impacted you so,
    Seems to hit every one alittle different...
    Hopefully this will all blow over and you can get back in your coin groove!

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm living and that's what I do.
    Getting pretty good at it too.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dagingerbeasttt said:

@Raufus said:
    Like many here I do a variety of things.

My full time profession (full time ++ that is in a 24/7/365 field) is a physician. I'm a cardiac anesthesiologist at a large quanternary care medical center and Level 1 Trauma Center. Among other roles I'm also the Director of Trauma Anesthesia and of Airway Management. I have a teaching faculty appointment at the med school as well. Teaching med students, residents and fellows is something that I very much enjoy. I'm in my 23rd year of practice post fellowship.

Our hospital has seen over 5000 COVID patients which has made for a very difficult year as we're the ones putting the breathing tubes in COVID patients as well as (in the case of the cardiac anesthesia section) doing the ultrasound imaging (TEE) to guide the cardiac surgeons as they put the sickest COVID patients on a form of life support called ECMO. Our hospital has had great success w COVID ECMO saving many patients who would have otherwise died. All of these are extremely aerosolizing procedures w respect to infectious risk in taking care of COVID pts.

I've been involved in teaching tactical medicine since 2002 for various schools, LE agencies and occasionally for govt agencies.

Somewhat of an offshoot of the latter I've been a Sworn Deputy Sheriff since 2002.

I'm a certified law enforcement and civilian firearms instructor. I work in this capacity very part time as time permits and need arises. I'm a life long competitive shooter, an interest that I picked up from my father. My interest in both trauma medicine and shooting led me to the tactical medicine field as is the case for many if not most tac med docs.

I've been a certified PADI Divemaster since '95. Unfortunately, I've not had time to teach in years. Looking forward to getting back into that when I cut my hours back eventually.

I've collected coins on and off since my early childhood when my father shared his albums w me. He was born in '31 and collected since he was a child. I share the hobby w my two sons .

This is a great thread. What in interesting and great group of folks. Thanks to those who have contributed and to the OP. It's been a fun read while on call in the hospital and not being able to sleep at 03:00.

This is me in the latest in COVID attire at our hospital. Sure hoping and praying for better times ahead....

Wow! You are an upstanding individual!!

Thank you Sir.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2021 12:14PM

@gonzer said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@gonzer said:
    Horticulturist, bromeliad hybridizer.

My wife loves bromeliads, consequently, we have lots of them all around our house:

Very cool! Your plants (Billbergia pyramidalis) are in the genus I specialize in.

Love these

@Jimnight said:
    I trained and drove harness horses for 23 years. Retired.
    I was a full time self employed Taxidermist for 20 years. Retired.

I spent a lot of the late 70's and early 80's as a kid at Northville Downs and Hazel Park outside of Detroit watching the trotters and pacers. Was really into it. Very cool

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@gonzer said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@gonzer said:

My wife loves bromeliads, consequently, we have lots of them all around our house:

Very cool! Your plants (Billbergia pyramidalis) are in the genus I specialize in.

Love these

@Jimnight said:

I spent a lot of the late 70's and early 80's as a kid at Northville Downs and Hazel Park outside of Detroit watching the trotters and pacers. Was really into it. Very cool

m

Late 70s early 80s was a very good time to be watching. Breeding was really kicking in for both gaits. I miss it. Excellent memories though.

@Jimnight said:

@Justacommeman said:

@gonzer said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@gonzer said:

Love these

@Jimnight said:

m

Late 70s early 80s was a very good time to be watching. Breeding was really kicking in for both gaits. I miss it. Excellent memories though.

:#

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited March 2, 2021 2:13PM

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2021 4:46PM

Anyone else remember the old MGA Television commercials from the early to mid 1970's?

edited to add: The commercial starts out with a worker operating a jackhammer on a sidewalk and the guy conducting a survey for televisions asks him... "Sir, what do yo do for a living?" Of course its obvious what he does but still responds with "I'm a brain surgeon" Then, the camera shifts to zoom in on two TV sets with one having a significant benefit of a very attractive woman next to it. The next question is something to the effect... "And sir which TV do you prefer?" And after looking at the woman next to the MGA TV, he points to it... "And there you have it...another television expert picks MGA...And then the worker says "But whats an Mga" saying it as a word instead of M-G-A. I would laugh again if I saw that commercial.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Jimnight said:

@Justacommeman said:

@gonzer said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@gonzer said:

Love these

@Jimnight said:

m

:#

That's cool. I can handle up to 200.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@coinkat said:
    Anyone else remember the old MGA Television commercials from the early to mid 1970's?

1974 MGA Mitsubishi 13" color TV

Yes, and remember the TV tuner that you sprayed inside the knob. My grandfather was a TV repairman and self employed. Vague memories of his workshop.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrDarryl
    And the book title is?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    It's official now, the members here have the brains and technology that we **could **form our own society :)

Or maybe a grading company? :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file