Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you do for a living?!

I'm curious to see as what the members here do for a living and how long you have been collecting. I had a member reach out who was a fellow ironworker (which I thought was awesome!). So it sparked my interest.
I would love to hear your stories!

Comments

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I'm retired from the Post Office (17+ years ago.) I've been collecting since the summer of 1961 (60th anniversary this year.) My favorite coin from the get-go has been and is the Buffalo nickel, for which I co-authored one book (Treasure Hunting the Buffalo Nickel and The Authoritative Guide for Buffalo Nickels with John Wexler and Kevin Flynn) and authored another (Buffalo Nickels-The Abraded Die Varieties.) This hobby keeps me occupied and sane in my retirement.

That's awesome!! I bet it felt good being able to contribute to numismatic's!!

• Options

@LanLord said:
    I am a telecom engineer for Sephora.
    Started collecting in the late 60s. That interest fizzled in the mid-70s.
    I got the interest again in about 1995.

I wasn't born till 94 😭. That sounds like an interesting career

• Options

@JazzmanJAB said:
    You Stab Em, We Slab Them.
    Embalmer and Funeral Director.

Puttin The Fun Back in Funerals !

Collecting 30+ years

I hope I will still be just as interested then as I am now 30 yrs from now!

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Woman's shoe designer and occasionally teach private yoga classes pre Covid

m

I know my non stretching self could use a little yoga lol. Cool profession

• Options

@Pedzola said:
    Human Resources. First purchase was some silver eagles ~2008. Only got into "rare" coins ~2018.

Awesome!

• Options

@Tom147 said:
    Full time Paramedic 25 years. Vol. Fire Dept. Chief 43 years. Instructor for both Fire & EMS. Started collecting in 1964. 57 years. Like alot of us, my dad ( R.I.P. ) gave me a Whitman Lincoln cent album which I still have. Mostly moderns, no 5 figure coins for me.

That's admirable. Cool how your pops got you into the hobby. I pursued fire and emt when I was 21 . Got my 1&2 certs and hazmat but never finished emt cuz I was a knuckle head..

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    US Gov- soldier- socom wmd- dhs wmd. Started collecting 15 years ago

Thanks for your service!

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Commercial and Industrial Control Systems, mostly HVAC related. All phases, including Mechanical and Electrical design. 31 years, after 6 years in Avionics.

Great career! Hopefully your nicer than most HVAC guys I've encountered in the field 😉

• Options

@relicsncoins said:
    Maintenance tech. in the semi-conductor industry. I was a field service engineer for Nikon Precision Inc. for 22 years before that.

Sounds like a fruitful profession!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dagingerbeasttt said:

@koynekwest said:
    I'm retired from the Post Office (17+ years ago.) I've been collecting since the summer of 1961 (60th anniversary this year.) My favorite coin from the get-go has been and is the Buffalo nickel, for which I co-authored one book (Treasure Hunting the Buffalo Nickel and The Authoritative Guide for Buffalo Nickels with John Wexler and Kevin Flynn) and authored another (Buffalo Nickels-The Abraded Die Varieties.) This hobby keeps me occupied and sane in my retirement.

That's awesome!! I bet it felt good being able to contribute to numismatic's!!

It sure did! I sure don't make any money on the books-I just like to do it!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@koynekwest said:

I too am retired from the post office. I just retired this past Dec. 1st after 31 years.

There are several Postal retirees here.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

@MWallace said:

@koynekwest said:

I too am retired from the post office. I just retired this past Dec. 1st after 31 years.

There are several Postal retirees here.

My carrier is retiring in April. He's beside himself with joy. The last year has been obviously brutal. He will be well gifted.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Back in 2001 I graduated in Civil Engineering and worked in that field for a couple of years. For some reason I then got the crazy idea to go to med school. I've been in practice now as an orthopedic surgeon for 15 years and I work at two critical access hospitals in rural Idaho.

I've been actively collecting since around 2008 or so, with a little dabbling in nothing important prior to that.

Bryce, I could have used you awhile back. Torn Rotator cuff & Labrium back in November. Injured on a fire call. Surgery was Jan. 13th. Looking at back to work mid summer.
    What part of Idaho ? I'm in Ohio but I also respond with the Ohio Interagency Wildfire Crew. I've been to your state on 4 different fires. Most in the panhandle. Beautiful country out there.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I'm not surfing the coin sites. I'm also in Healthcare IT. I'm curently assigned to an SAP Global Implementation project.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dula

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 6:47PM

@Tom147

South-Central. Basically half-mountain, half-farmland country. Not as forested as up north, but beautiful in different ways.

The fires here have been brutal the last few years. We spent a few months this summer with smoke so bad you couldn't see any blue in the sky on a clear day.

• Options

These are some cool and interesting stories! Thanks so much for sharing them!

• Options

7 days in Twin Falls back in 2014. 2 weeks in 2016. 1st week 100 miles north of Coeur D Alene. 2nd week actually based out of Coeur D Alene. I've been to 43 different states. Although there's no place like home, I believe your state is the most beautiful. I'd really like to see it when it isn't on fire.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Professor/administrator in higher education (pharmacy) ... collecting since a little tike.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    @Tom147 I was also a volunteer firefighter. Loved it.

Thank you for your service. It is very rewarding. Especially so since my son followed in my footsteps. He now has 19 years in. He just made asst. chief at our counties only paid/career dept.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retired federal LEO. Working part time in IT consulting.

I started collecting when I was a kid; I, renewed my interest as an adult in the early 80s.

Vplite99
  • Options

@ironmanl63 said:
    Union Ironworker out of Chicago Local 63.

Hell yeah brotha!. I've been non union for two years but just signed some papers a few weeks ago and gonna be out in the field for the indy local 22 !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file