Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you do for a living?!

Comments

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

@d9lowe said:
    I work in paper converting. I make paper towels and toilet paper for a living!! Started stacking 7 years ago, into numismatics for the last 2.

Was it true that tp was in short supply when Covid came around during the summer?
    I know at the beginning everyone was stockpiling.

We were definitely running full blast, but still had warehouses full of the stuff. It was more of a distribution issue. Its funny, we had to cut back production a few months ago because no one was buying it. Lol

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleDime said:
    I recently retired after 37 years in metal heat treating. Before this it was 9 years in the Marines. I've been collecting since 1971.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@dagingerbeasttt said:

@Atcarroll said:

@dagingerbeasttt said:

@ironmanl63 said:
    Union Ironworker out of Chicago Local 63.

Hell yeah brotha!. I've been non union for two years but just signed some papers a few weeks ago and gonna be out in the field for the indy local 22 !

I've put a lot of pipe in the ground around Indy, moved back to Michigan in 2015 though.

Awesome!, I seen you made a comment about drilling.
    There's a job goin on at the naval base where there drilling a 350+ft hole to test the propulsion on missiles. You ever done something like that . That would be pretty cool to see someone dig that massive of a hole.

no, my holes are all horizontal, pulling back pipe or cable.

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks... microbiology has literally taken me around the world a couple of times...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@cccoins said:
    I work in engineering for a slot machine manufacturer.

That is amazing to me, never would have thought of that job..................but then I have never left the BayState :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dagingerbeasttt...Yes... between live shooting and classroom, it does take some time... It is both interesting and rewarding... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@gonzer said:
    Horticulturist, bromeliad hybridizer.

My wife loves bromeliads, consequently, we have lots of them all around our house:

Very cool! Your plants (Billbergia pyramidalis) are in the genus I specialize in.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get a lot of that! ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    This type of thread has been posted periodically since I joined the forums in 2004.

They are always a very interesting read. The breadth and depth of the varied work lives of forumites never ceases to amaze me.

Vast amounts of knowledge and experience in the public sector, private sector on display.

People working daily with their hands (making something that is physically tangible is a skill I am in awe of), working with their minds and working with both.

One thing in common that they have is being bitten by the coin bug.

I suspect our host also enjoys this type of thread as its provides insight into a group of people dedicated to the hobby.

Looking forward to reading further replies about when people due for a living.

+1

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @dagingerbeasttt...Yes... between live shooting and classroom, it does take some time... It is both interesting and rewarding... Cheers, RickO

That's awesome!

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    I am a risk manager for a quantitative hedge fund. It’s certainly been an interesting past 12 months!

I started collecting coins at 10 and seriously at 21.

Based on your profession, I assume that your username intentionally contains pi to three digits?

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@cccoins said:
    I work in engineering for a slot machine manufacturer.

That is amazing to me, never would have thought of that job..................but then I have never left the BayState :)

That’s why we brought machines to you, Boston harbor, etc.

I have been at the same company off and on for the past 27 years, and collecting since 2005.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    Forensic DNA Scientist. Right now I’m doing a lot of screening for male DNA on samples from sexual assault evidence collection kits on a Quantstudio 5 rtPCR instrument using Quantifiler Trio Kits. Also doing some review of Globalfiler autosomal STR results.

Dave - do you have any Bio-Rad thermal cyclers or reagents in your lab?

Tim

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 3:16PM

R&D software engineer at a FAANG (or I guess FAAMG these days) corporation.

I started collecting around 15 years ago when my grandmother gave me a state quarter album, and more seriously began collecting around 12 years ago. Started with roll searching for silver dimes + metal detecting before transitioning into buying, selling, grading.

• Options
    SCTSCT Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

Industrial Real Estate Broker

Started collecting mid late 2000's.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cccoins said:

@david3142 said:
    I am a risk manager for a quantitative hedge fund. It’s certainly been an interesting past 12 months!

I started collecting coins at 10 and seriously at 21.

Based on your profession, I assume that your username intentionally contains pi to three digits?

That is correct! It’s a weird place to round it so it isn’t as immediately obvious to most people as 314

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@DNADave said:
    Forensic DNA Scientist. Right now I’m doing a lot of screening for male DNA on samples from sexual assault evidence collection kits on a Quantstudio 5 rtPCR instrument using Quantifiler Trio Kits. Also doing some review of Globalfiler autosomal STR results.

Tim
    mostly thermofisher and qiagen products.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:

@pointfivezero said:

@DNADave said:

Tim
    mostly thermofisher and qiagen products.

Thanks Dave - sounds like we need to get some salespeople over there. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file