Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Lets see your coins from Peru

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2023 12:51PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

If you own them show them.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most colonial seem pretty tough in all series.

• EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I like the earliest post-colonial issues the most. I don't collect them, but I do have one coin.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few hardcore Peru collectors on Instagram.

I am just curious I have no intentions of branching towards Peru. I am going to stick with Mexico.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not Peru, in particular, but circumstantially, I do have some decent examplers. Most valuable is a Carlos III Proclamation medal.
    I also have some nice mineral specimens, but those are quite OT!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2021 8:07AM

The last one has a nice 1755 and 1758. Peru pillars are mostly what I buy now, along with Bolivia but it's a much shorter series and

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some here and there... the one worth owning is the 1838 Cuzco 8 Reales... truly a work of art- love the design

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

WOW!!!

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Potosi mint only from Peru in addition to Mexico City. Had to draw the line somewhere.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

I would branch over but I can only afford Mexico just curious to see them.

Beauties!!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple raw 8 reales not worth slabbing

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a set of 1 Dinero 1893 - 1916. No 1907 JF.

edited February 17, 2021 7:14PM

Is it common with Peru coins to find some that neither NGC nor PCGS have ever graded?

I ask because I have a chance to buy one that Brad Yonaka mentioned is very rare and he has only viewed 5 pieces of that date in that series.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 8:00PM

I’ve been collecting trips to Machu Picchu and should check to see if I kept any coins.

I wanted to visit Potosi the last time I was in Bolivia but didn’t have time.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Is it common with Peru coins to find some that neither NGC nor PCGS have ever graded?

Yes, just check the Spanish auction houses.

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

I ask because I have a chance to buy one that Brad Yonaka mentioned is very rare and he has only viewed 5 pieces of that date in that series.

In my experience, Yonaka's survey results are a good indication of relative scarcity. However, I have seen some pillar dates elsewhere with few appearances in his results which I presume he did not identify. An example is the 1768 Peru 2R where I believe he identified four. I own a VG with either a planchet defect or slight rim damage. I have also seen this coin a few other times (also in very low quality), also presumably not in his results. NGC has graded one but neither NGC or PCGS have graded over half of the Charles III dates, outside of the 8R.

For pillar dates, many of the mintages are not low. (1767 1/2R purportedly about 1MM.) This likely means that most of the coins are not absolutely rare (depending upon someone's definition) but aren't available because of the low price and where it is, almost universally in (very) low or abysmal quality. The plate coins in both Yonaka and Gilboy indicate it.

@Zoins said:
    I’ve been collecting trips to Machu Picchu and should check to see if I kept any coins.

You should go to Tiwanaku if you get the chance. I have been there once (in 2005) though not Cuzco or Machu Picchu. The site was (and I believe still is) under excavation but I was surprised at the size of the structures.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021 1:31AM

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

You should go to Tiwanaku if you get the chance. I have been there once (in 2005) though not Cuzco or Machu Picchu. The site was (and I believe still is) under excavation but I was surprised at the size of the structures.

I went to Tiwanaku on my last trip. It was nice and agree people should visit if they get the chance.

I want to go to Choquequirao. I hope it's like the Machu Picchu of the past. Machu Picchu has gotten very commercialized and crowded. The first time I went to Machu Picchu, we hiked the Inca Trail on our own but we couldn't sleep in the Machu Picchu which they previously allowed, but you could freely walk around the plaza with the llamas. The last time I went, guides were mandatory on the Inca Trail and you couldn't walk freely in the plaza anymore, you could only walk in designated walkways while the grass areas roped off and I didn't see any llamas, just a huge number of people.

I was hoping Aureo & Calico had something from Peru or Bolivia for my collection in their March sales, Out of luck, again.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:
    I was hoping Aureo & Calico had something from Peru or Bolivia for my collection in their March sales, Out of luck, again.

Same here but hoping for a nie Guatemalan 8R from a date that I dont have.

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

I understand you have a good portion of the series now. It's going to be tougher to find the rest of the dates.

For mine from Peru, there are at least four (maybe five) 1/2R dates I know exist in the quality I want which I do not own. For the 1R, three more. For the 2R, seven more. For the 4R, not sure but it's more than those I own now. This includes some upgrades (where I want to upgrade) but not those in Sellshopp (limited pictures) or in collections I do not know.

I have a list of coins I am aware of and waiting to become available. Somewhere around 20 I have seen before (I would have to list them to be sure) that I either missed, skipped bidding altogether, or was an under bidder. Others which I know exist but have not been offered publicly to my knowledge, including from Sellshopp, plate coins, and Patterson..

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@WCC said:

I understand you have a good portion of the series now. It's going to be tougher to find the rest of the dates.

For mine from Peru, there are at least four (maybe five) 1/2R dates I know exist in the quality I want which I do not own. For the 1R, three more. For the 2R, seven more. For the 4R, not sure but it's more than those I own now. This includes some upgrades (where I want to upgrade) but not those in Sellshopp (limited pictures) or in collections I do not know.

I have a list of coins I am aware of and waiting to become available. Somewhere around 20 I have seen before (I would have to list them to be sure) that I either missed, skipped bidding altogether, or was an under bidder. Others which I know exist but have not been offered publicly to my knowledge, including from Sellshopp, plate coins, and Patterson..

Finding the rest of the dates will for sure be tough. Thankfully I have the finest extant of the rarest and likely second rarest dates but any date in the quality I want is rare.

I have the 1762-LM 4R I posted before, raw with perhaps old minor cleaning but certainly passable in a problem free holder. I’m not convinced yet that it isn’t the Patterson plate coin.

@Boosibri said:

I have the 1762-LM 4R I posted before, raw with perhaps old minor cleaning but certainly passable in a problem free holder. I’m not convinced yet that it isn’t the Patterson plate coin.

There are a few coins that I suspect or assume to be ex-Patterson but it's hard to tell as the catalog image quality (I do own it) is quite poor.

First example is the 1761 P62 4R we have discussed. (it's also the Gilboy plate coin.) I have not seen the coin in the PCGS holder but can't imagine it's a second one. Several of the PCGS 1/2R and 1R have the same or similar light toning, which leads me to believe at least some came from the same collection which could be Patterson. (It's an assumption the coins were stored in the same environment for a long time.) The catalog lists two 1760 1R as "UNC" and I infer the PCGS MS-63 might be one.

As for the 1762 4R, I agree. But then, most of my coins are in NGC holders and I find them annoyingly inconsistent.

edited April 22, 2022 3:04PM

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a collector of opportunity rather than chasing specific countries, but I do have some Peru in my collection. This is the example I chose as representative in my One from Every Country set.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

@MrEureka said:

Is that the Millennia piece?

@Boosibri said:

@MrEureka said:

If i remember correctly, it's unique. Last time i saw it was in Millennia.

edited April 23, 2021 12:41PM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Boosibri said:

@MrEureka said:

Until now

@Boosibri said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Boosibri said:

@MrEureka said:

Until now

Touché

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

Not fair. You don't own it anymore! Unfortunately, I don't own it either.... :s

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@MrEureka said:

Not fair. You don't own it anymore! Unfortunately, I don't own it either.... :s

Maybe not fair, but I didn't have pics of the other thing handy.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Anyone else want to share some?

edited April 22, 2022 3:04PM