Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your most hated popular coin

2»

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for Morgan dollars, don't care for the obverse design. My all time favourite is the Bust Dollar, followed by the Peace dollar.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blast white common date Morgan and Peace Dollars
    Common date gold below gem

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:
    Counterfeits. There are lots of counterfeits sold from overseas and within our own country. It's amazing how popular these can be.

I don't consider counterfeits to be actual coins.

Even when over struck over existing genuine U.S. issues?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'm surprised no one mention the First Spouse gold coin series.

The title of the thread says "popular". B)

For that same reason, I didn't mention 3-cent nickels.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgans, Lincolns & currently circulating coinage.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    What is a coin series that you dislike or hate that other people love collecting?

For me, it would have to be Buffalo nickels. I was never a fan of the Indian head design and I don’t like to collect coins that aren’t silver. I also don’t like the fact the nickels don’t have a rim marks on them. Something always just seemed off about the design to me. Also most of the Buffalo nickels are dateless or near dateless. They always just seemed ugly

Well what’s yours?

WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT?

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

I don't much care for state quarters...
    Although they are a good gateway for new collectors.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't hate any coin design, but I do like some better than others.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wondered what Truman was doing on the Roosevelt Dime... but that may be a thread for another time.

Another unpopular series but full of varieties, toners, cameos, no S monsters.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all of the coins that have had a serious designer and engraver behind them; they all have merit. Like vegetables, the only one I don't like are rutabagas unless they were the last one available.

"Problem coins" would be my answer if they are altered surfaces, colorized, etc..

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was never a fan of Barbers, although I've learned to appreciate them, more, through the years.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate is a very strong word in this hobby. I dont hate any design just choose not to collect the ones i dont like. I would hate the guys on T.V ruining it for the new collectors more then anything by taking advantage of them.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I can be a grouchy SOB so there are several I do not like, I will keep this to USA coins...

NCLT, disgusting premise and designs on the whole

Eisenhower dollars are irredeemably ugly

Walking Liberty Halves would fit this thread best. Seems everyone loves them but me. I find them a poorly executed, horrendously struck, ridiculously overstated example of an overemphasized pompous design. Other than that they ain't too bad.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2021 5:01AM

@PerryHall said:
    I'm surprised no one mention the First Spouse gold coin series.

The mint sold so few of them that they are barely on the radar.

I have the Jackie Kennedy piece and actually like it. I bought the Draped Bust coin that took the place of Martha Jefferson. The mint sent a lousy one to me, and I lost interest. I ended up selling it for bullion.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2021 1:37PM

State quarters!!! So damn ugly that when I look at them I almost throw up in my mouth 🤢

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

No SBA mentions? For me its overstrikes and fantasy dates. They just muddy the waters.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a funny topic question! I certainly have my favorite and least favorite designs. The longer I have spent time with this hobby the more I have come to appreciate high quality coins even if not among my preferred designs. I have little interest in Washington quarters for example, but man I have seen some beautiful coins with fantastic strike and color.

I would have to say I have the least interest in foreign coins.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern US Gold Eagles. The obverse design looks comical compared to the original intention of Saint Gaudens. The US mint should be ashamed.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:
    I'll get flamed for this, but any US gold coin. The designs do nothing for me. The only ones I own are family heirlooms hidden by my grandmother in 1933 rather than turn them in to the Feds.

A lot of these designs are actually not very attractive. Some I like but others I do not. I have always liked the "fatty" quarter and half eagles but it's actually an ugly portrait. On the other hand, I don't care at all for the 1795-1807 design, pre-capped bust.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't "hate" any coin designs but there are many (US and otherwise) I find very unappealing. I'm not even familiar with post SQ quarters but I can infer I won't like the reverses. The SBA dollar, Zincolns and the FDR dime are definitely on my list too.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t particularly care for Liberty Nickels.

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    I don’t particularly care for Liberty Nickels.

Yeah...It's taken a while but they are kind of growing on me.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

Franklins. Zero interest in that coin design.

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother told me very often that if I didn't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything. However, I'll admit that most of the coins circulating during the past 50 years or more are not too inspiring.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Very thought-provoking question. Since you said "popular" coins, I'd have to say Morgans. But I actually dislike practically every US coin minted post-1964.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HashTag said:
    Hands down the gold $4 stella! Not sour grapes (they’re expensive) but they were never coins just patterns given out to Congressmen who (most) gave to their girlfriends. AND the 1879s weren’t all minted in 1879; some in 1880. I could write several boring pages about this, this round gold 💩that appears at every major auction that touts it as a true rarity even though one has several chances a year to buy one. RANT OVER.

You can say the same about the 1856 flying eagle cent. It's one of the most common patterns made.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Morgan dollars hands down. That reverse is hideous. Our eagle looks like a rubber chicken.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never really liked the design of the $50 Pan-Pac slugs. Heresy, I know.

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Modern coins packed in plastic!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file