Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908 $2.5 Indian. GTG - You vs. PCGS

JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one will be coming in shortly. Looking for opinions on grade and eye appeal, both positive or negative.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
IG: jb_rarities

Comments

• Options
    BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

64 maybe 65

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous example with excellent appeal from what I can see. <3

Looks all there with hardly any marks and maybe? a few super light, wispy lines. I have never been able to grade these well, but I would have to think that is a Gem.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

64-65.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Nice pics. I’m going with AU-55. Due to what looks like wear on the Eagles wing. Hard to grade, for sure. Great eye appeal!

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dug13 said:
    Nice pics. I’m going with AU-55. Due to what looks like wear on the Eagles wing. Hard to grade, for sure. Great eye appeal!

1908s don’t have the same details on the wing like the other dates. This is as-struck

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

64, but 65 wouldn’t surprise me if the luster is better than imaged.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 5:51PM

64-65. Pictures could be better but I could see it going 65. 1908's have less detail on the wing.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks all there... an MS64 minimum w/a good shot at 65.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

The heavy patina might be hiding marks. I see a divot under the u in unum. Given that, I'm reluctant to go higher than 64, and would not be surprised by a lower grade.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 for me.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion these are almost impossible to grade, even when examining in person. I don't see any lustre in the picture, so I would venture a guess of AU55.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 is my guess, but I’m terrible at guessing anything above 63, lol

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

This series is tough to grade in-hand and almost impossible to grade from a pic. I'll guess MS64. Very nice coin with nice color and original surfaces. I like it a lot.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 64, however, if there is any luster remaining, 65. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Nice one!
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2021 12:48PM

Tough - First glance AU58 Most likely MS63

It does not appear as lustrous as I like for a MS coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

The photos are muting the luster.

Jbknifeandcoin.com

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 shot AU62+

• Options

We have an AU63 and a AU62+

This is certainly getting more interesting then I expected. :smiley:

Jbknifeandcoin.com

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

And????

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cat is suffocating.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin looks great from here. Put me down for 64.

mirabela
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 7:25PM

If the luster is there 64. If not 63. I can’t judge the luster from the pic.
    I do like it 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either an AU58 or a 65+. Minimal marks in the fields, but possibly some rub at the top of the wing. As mentioned before, these are very difficult to grade.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 12:18PM

@PerryHall said:
    This series is tough to grade in-hand and almost impossible to grade from a pic. I'll guess MS64. Very nice coin with nice color and original surfaces. I like it a lot.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. Speaking for myself I have a tough time judging these types of strikes in hand. In fact I find them thee toughest series to grade correctly from all US coins. Then with an image I can’t judge the luster most always.
    Great looking piece and one of my favorite designs 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Tough - First glance AU58 Most likely MS63

It does not appear as lustrous as I like for a MS coin.

The series is not as lustrous as many other series. I'd say AU58 on a bad day and MS63 on a good day.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 1:47PM

@Cocoinut said:
    Either an AU58 or a 65+. Minimal marks in the fields, but possibly some rub at the top of the wing. As mentioned before, these are very difficult to grade.

That's why I don't bother with the series. If the mint came out with a modern faithful rendition of the Indian Head $2.5 and $5, like they're doing with everything else these days, I'd rather purchase something like that than one from 1908-1929 because I'd have closure that my coin is actually MS and not just MS at a good day at a TPG but an AU when I resubmit the coin. The coins can even accrue wear falling out of the press and into the hopper, which makes me even more uncomfortable buying a MS coin.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-62. The Eagle’s shoulder is always weak on 1908 quarter Eagles so it’s not really a grading point unlike other dates. I see a light rub which would indicate AU-58, but coins like this often end up in Mint State holders.

BTW I have seen some very pretty examples of this date, more than I have seen for other dates. I have one in an MS-64 PCGS holder that I like very much. I have yet to take a decent representative photo of it. Sometimes these coins are hard to photograph.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonBrand83 said:
    PCGS ms65+ with green bean.

Crazy luster. I will take and get better pictures soon as I can. Thanks for playing. These werent my pics and most pictures of these coins dont really give the whole story. To me its a very lustrous spot free coin with a very good strike for the date. Its with a photographer so ill eventually have new pics and I can take cell phone luster pics.

For all you guys that are still guessing. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@JonBrand83 said:
    PCGS ms65+ with green bean.

Crazy luster. I will take and get better pictures soon as I can. Thanks for playing. These werent my pics and most pictures of these coins dont really give the whole story. To me its a very lustrous spot free coin with a very good strike for the date. Its with a photographer so ill eventually have new pics and I can take cell phone luster pics.

For all you guys that are still guessing. :D

I can believe it, the luster can be hard to capture on these... It doesn't look too baggy...
    I'd love to see other pictures showing the luster better!

• Options

Its with a photographer so unfortunately wont be able to post for a few days to a week to show the in hand look.

Jbknifeandcoin.com

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say 65. I don't see any reason why it would be lower. The fields are extremely clean for one of these, even with the picture blown up like this, and it looks like the luster should be really good.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 1:42PM

Congrats!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file