Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    @TwoKopeiki described? Looks like an I... nice.

Thanks. No, not described or previously cataloged.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 9:44AM

Picked up this 1746 Mexican One Real the other day. I don't have it in hand yet but the seller's images were more than adequate to determine it's a rare variety. It is also a slight bump up from the one real I already had in my set.

• Options

Congrats @JohnnyCache - nice catch!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Congrats @JohnnyCache - nice catch!

Thanks, it was fun to find.

Brad lists this variety as M1-46e in his guide book (previously unlisted) but then also notes on the previous page that this could be what Gilboy was calling M-1-18c in his book.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:
    I know most aren't into what I'll call 'mid century modern' Mexico material, but I really dig the 5 Peso commemoratives of 1947-1959 and 10 Peso commemoratives of 1955-1960. While I'm sure there are a lot of coins out there yet to be graded, some of these are hard to find in top grades. Here are two recent 10 Peso NEWPS --

MS66+, PCGS top pop (1/0)

also MS66+, PCGS pop 1/1

@cecropiamoth those were the bullion coins of their day, so most have been mishandled or melted. Having them in those grades is quite a challenge (as is evident from the pops).

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:
    I know most aren't into what I'll call 'mid century modern' Mexico material, but I really dig the 5 Peso commemoratives of 1947-1959 and 10 Peso commemoratives of 1955-1960.

Jeff

Ditto. I think the big crown-sized, higher purity mid-century Mexican pieces are the bomb. And those two are exceptional. I've been lucky to get BU pieces at or near melt for many years now and have stacks of them.

Accidentally left my annual Xmas bonus for the crew at the local Mexican joint (a BU 1940s peso) at home when we were out running errands on Wednesday. So I stopped into the B&M just before close. All he had were libertads, which I reluctantly agreed to buy. Then he ran to the back and pulled this out and offered it to me at melt. Very cool die polish lines radiating up from behind the face on the front, and one of the deepest dish eagles on the reverse that I've ever seen in this typically hammered series. Love the depth of the curl behind his ear, too. The wife and kid decided on Chinese, so they add to the stack :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Abuelo !! Outstanding group!!

LOL...yes, we have done our share off beating each other up at auction!!! I still owe you a PM...try for tonight.

JJ

• Options

@Abuelo those are incredible! I can’t say I’ve ever seen them so mark-free. What a special group.

• Options

@Weiss nice Olympic. Those and the Cuauhtémocs are generally available nicer. I think more care was taken in their manufacture as well.

• Options

Anyone have a high-grade 1949 Onza? Those are also very tough.

I’ve got an older holder (non-prong) toned NGC MS65, but no photo of it to show.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas thank you. There are some pristine coins there.

• Options

@pruebas, I have but raw, and my photography abilities are depressing.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @pruebas, I have but raw, and my photography abilities are depressing.

New Years resolution for @Abuelo .... To get the rest of his high-grade moderns slabbed!

I’ve been pulling the nicer ones out of my bullion stash. So far, I’ve gotten (2) PCGS MS65 Ferrocarriles and a bunch of other moderns. I doubt any of the remaining Ferrocarriles will 65. Maybe 64, which is hardly worth slabbing.

• Options

@pruebas I am too lazy :D and I was thinking on a submission soon, but the postal service is misbehaving. I am waiting for a book from Sedwick mailed to me last month and several coins bought weeks ago and they are "in transit" not about to risk it now.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2020 4:01PM

Guys! You know it's quantity, not quality. Right? :wink:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

That Cab is the bomb. I was one of the underbidders on the 1913 Cab on HA yesterday, as well as the 1921 2 peso and the MS66 Railroad 5 peso :(
    I lost on all 15 bids I'd placed :(

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:
    That Cab is the bomb. I was one of the underbidders on the 1913 Cab on HA yesterday, as well as the 1921 2 peso and the MS66 Railroad 5 peso :(
    I lost on all 15 bids I'd placed :(

Those high-grade Cabs and railroads are doing very well lately! Sorry you lost out, but high prices bring out coins, so there will be more I’m sure.

My 1913/2 specimen is in the NYINC sale. It’s only a 64, but is a nice coin! (Shameless plug.)

The mid-century stuff doesn’t get any love, but they are tough as heck to find nice as @cecropiamoth and @Abuelo know well.

• Options

@pruebas a 1913/2 MS64 will likely attract a lot on interest. Good luck!

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a fairly common issue, but possibly a strike-through error on the reverse. What do you think?

• Options

@Clio said:

I actually have a contribution though I am a day late. :)

I'm just shocked its not a Shilling ;)

@carabonnair said:
    Here is a fairly common issue, but possibly a strike-through error on the reverse. What do you think?

I assume you're talking about the flat spot on the obverse st 11 o'clock? Could be a strike through. Hard to tell without better images. I would be more concerned with what seems like PVC on the reverse. That green can seriously damage the surfaces and if I were you, I'd put that coin in acetone asap.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I'm just shocked its not a Shilling ;)

It's the size of one :D

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to break the SA posts a bit
    here is a 1953 Canadian nickel. It has an issue. But what is it?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

and here is another Dark side beauty

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Just to break the SA posts a bit
    here is a 1953 Canadian nickel. It has an issue. But what is it?

Shoulder fold. Near leaf. Is it struck on a silver planchet?

• Options

It is called Trail-dies and is an error
    see better images

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:

[pictures]

I assume you're talking about the flat spot on the obverse st 11 o'clock? Could be a strike through. Hard to tell without better images. I would be more concerned with what seems like PVC on the reverse. That green can seriously damage the surfaces and if I were you, I'd put that coin in acetone asap.

Thanks for your advice. Even though it's probably only worth $2, I gave it an acetone bath. Here's my attempt at better pictures:

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭✭

A common but very nice 1/2 real 1855 from the Lima mint
    (above: the example from the Lissner sale, below: my example)

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 3:23PM

Speaking of the Thursday thread.... It's Thursday! And I haven't posted anything here in a while.

If you have traveled to Mexico recently, you may remember the new mini stainless steel centavos coins. Since 2009, they have been made from the centers of the 1, 2, and 5 Peso coins to keep the costs down. (The centavos are almost worthless, so it's understandable they need to keep costs low in order to continue to mint them.)

Here are the 2008 patterns:

Edited to add: A Peso is worth about 5 US Cents. 10 Centavos would be worth one-half a US Cent.

• Options

@pruebas those coins should be discontinued.

• Options

Now that @pruebas opened the door for modern Mexican issues, here we go...

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    Now that @pruebas opened the door for modern Mexican issues, here we go...

Very high grade for the issue! Now you need to get all three varieties in equally high grade!

• Options

@pruebas only missing the high 77, but all the others are 67 and one 68.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Speaking of the Thursday thread.... It's Thursday! And I haven't posted anything here in a while.

I still have a container (plastic bottle 4"x4"x6") filled with a lot of these coins, that I got as change, back on the years they started to circulate, many of the uncirculated ones, have given away for free, many people end up using these coins to fill albums.

i.e:
    20 Pesos with Guadalupe Victoria - Bronze
    100 Pesos with Carranza - Bronze 1988
    5 Centavos Monograma - Bronze 1985
    1 Peso Morelos - Nickel 1982
    50 Centavos Benito Juarez - Nickel 1987
    1 Peso 1986 with Morelos - Nickel smaller new design back on those days.

Among many others, one can sell these by the 'Kilo' - guess that it is time. :)

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

you buy that heritage auction? nice

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

you buy that heritage auction? nice

yep!

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 8 reale from the Potosi scandal era that is full weight and uncountermarked for devaluation.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.