Home U.S. Coin Forum

It's 2021, time for a poll.....this one on the ever popular AU58 grade

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is most important in your mind's eye?

It's 2021, time for a poll.....this one on the ever popular AU58 grade

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted MS 60......that's assuming the coin has, at least, acceptable eye appeal.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin. Some are extremely rare in MS. But for the majority of coins AU58+ Would be my choice.

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Last time I checked, 60 > 58. I agree with @Walkerfan. If the coin doesn't have eye appeal, then I wouldn't want it in either grade.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 7:48PM

I am assuming for this discussion the condition of the coin is irrelevant. I think the OP is more interested in just the grade. At least that is the way I took the question.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather have a nice, eye appealing coin at a reasonable price. Too bad that wasn't a poll option.

From a market perspective, the sticker fans have destroyed the concept that a higher grade is better. Less is more in this crazy market. I'd rather have the 58+ CAC grade to hit all the bases - + everyman registry mania + CAC mania+ right plastic.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ironmanl63 said:
    I am assuming for this discussion the condition of the coin is irrelevant. I think the OP is more interested in just the grade. At least that is the way I took the question.

Sadly in the current market it largely is.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 3:59PM

Can't really answer without knowing what sort of a coin we're talking about. There are lots of attractive AU58's, plussed or CAC'ed or not, but not that many attractive MS60's ... and in lots of cases the nice 58 is the way more valuable coin (check out the 1907 $10 Indian that sold on GC the other night in PCGS 58 CAC!) but there are those cases where the legit Unc coin is much rarer than the AU so there's a big price jump, as in many earlier gold issues. So who knows ...

mirabela
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 8:23PM

Most AU58+ coins will have superior eye appeal than MS60. I would think most MS60 coins would have negative eye appeal. I am not a fan of CAC.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most MS60 coins that I have seen, look beat, but are still unc. But then, I don't remember seeing a lot of MS 60-61 coins. Most coins graded AU58 are very attractive with just very little wear. A lot of people collect AU 55-AU58 coins, But I don't recall anyone that collects MS60-61 or even MS62 coins, save for very rare dates.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way I read the question the coin in all three cases is the same, the OP is asking about what grade/sticker you would rather attach to it. Therefore, the questions about eye appeal are moot.

I would pick whichever has the highest market value, and that’s going to be the AU58+ most of the time. In some cases, like an 1893-S or 1901 Morgan, there is a huge jump between AU 58 and MS60 and the latter would likely be priced higher.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a PCGS AU58 Gold CAC?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 58+ should be as good or better than a straight 58 with a CAC. A 58 is more often a 63 or higher with rub. A 60 is almost always atrocious.

@Walkerfan said:
    I voted MS 60......that's assuming the coin has, at least, acceptable eye appeal.

Unlikely. And compared to a 58, very highly unlikely. A 60 is an earned grade, and it’s not earned by being nice.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

For enjoyment of the coin, I'd pick the AU-58. In my experience, MS-60 is the "butt-ugly" of MS coins in all cases. An AU-58 more closely resembles an MS-65 or better, but with slight wear somewhere. For inclusion in my collection, I'd want the AU-58 every time, whether raw or slabbed.

I don't care about CAC. I'm not buying and flipping.

So, if you want to send your AU-58s to me, I'm ok with that! :smiley: Just PM me and I'll send my address to you.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS61 coins are very different from one series to the next. Morgans are dogs. But take a look at these bust half 61's.

I used to say give me the 58+. Those I had were spectacularly eye appealing (if sometimes dipped and toned-over for years), even if it doesn't CAC-sticker.

Today, in the series I collect, recent 58+'s are no longer eye appealing. They are about originality. Maybe as it should have been all along. I have to give it more thought.
    Lance.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the best situational plastic+grade of those three, at least for most of what I collect, would be the 58+

PCGS would be the strongest plastic, I would expect 58+ would almost certainly be a strong for the grade 58 with eye appeal.

Now, all that said, it still has to be about the coin.

Is it eye appealing to me?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 58 category for many coins.... Clarifying that a bit, I like the 58 grade with what I consider attractive features. ;) Having one slabbed with a green bean is trim on the cupcake....Cheers, RickO

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the lone 58+ 45D Walker (have not checked pop reports to see if others have come along). When I sold it there was little bump for that but all the CAC Walkers that I sold did nicely. In Gold I will almost always take the CAC sticker over a +

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweeping generalizations do more numismatic harm than good... let's not loose site of the fact that the coin is the focal point-not the opinion contained on the plastic/sticker

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the coin, its rarity in MS, its sticker population, whether I want it for a Registry set, what type of Registry set, etc.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    A 58+ should be as good or better than a straight 58 with a CAC. A 58 is more often a 63 or higher with rub. A 60 is almost always atrocious.

@Walkerfan said:

Unlikely. And compared to a 58, very highly unlikely. A 60 is an earned grade, and it’s not earned by being nice.

I partially agree with you. It depends upon the series. I have seen some decent 60s.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really need to have a coin in order to decide. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take 58+. Did that surprise anyone?

• TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 218 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like 58+ is running away with it due to the "Everyman" premium that those seem to sell for. I suspect the answer would change, or at least be closer, if it were 65+ vs 65 CAC. That would be an interesting poll.

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS60 is the closest to a details grade you can get without being a details grade.

• TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 218 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rexford said:
    MS60 is the closest to a details grade you can get without being a details grade.

Please keep it down.. you are going to hurt her feelings..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file